As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So what are some good 360 exclusives?

SploozooSploozoo GrillafaceRichmond VARegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
I finally took the dive, bought a 360 last weekend.

Really it was Shadow Complex that pushed me over the edge.... looks so awesome.

Anyways, once I got it I realized I didn't really know what's worth playing (I own a PS3 and a bitching PC so I've played most cross platform titles already).

I'm open to any genre. Key word is "good" or "fun" but I suppose that can be subjective.

I'm thinking I'll try the Gears series (is it worth it to play both or go straight to 2?) and Fable 2.

Oh and I bought Castle Crashers right away (so awesome!!!).

So what else is good? Never really been a Halo fan (didn't like the first one) but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Thanks for anyone pointing me in the right direction.

Sorry if these types of threads are frowned upon.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
Sploozoo on

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you haven't played Mass Effect yet go for that.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dunno. You like JRPGs? Tales of Vesperia (for now) is exclusive. Dragon Age is coming out in October. That's PC/360. There are so few 'exclusives' these days.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I, like you, didn't like Halo at all. But 3 is actually really fun to play... Especially co-op. The Gears games are good, start from 1.

Dead Rising is a good game and I recommend it to everyone. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is good too, but only co-op. Single player is frustrating. The Darkness if you've not played that yet. Mass Effect is worth a purchase/rent. Download the demo of 'sploision man and see if you enjoy it.

Really I think the key thing is that you might want to have a buddy over to play some co-op games with. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get Braid - it's only like ten or fifteen, but its very well done.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There aren't too many exclusives these days (especially if you count PS3 AND PC), but the Gears are both good, Halo 3 is good (I didn't like the first or second but liked the 3rd), Crackdown is good. As for non-exclusives you should try if you haven't, Dead Space and Bioshock are worth at least a rent, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are great if you like RPGs.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm thanks.

Yeah I already played Mass Effect / Braid on PC, Fallout 3 / Bioshock / Dead Space on PS3...

Maybe I'll look into tales of Vesperia.

Definitely will give Gears a try.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The fuck is wrong with this thread?!

Geometry Wars 2.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This thread needs more CRACKDOWN.

And yes, Geometry Wars 2. I still turn on my 360 from time to time just to play that (do most of my gaming on the PC/PS3 like Sploozoo)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tales of Vesperia on the PS3 will have an extra character I think. That little pirate girl.

Gears of War is a fun romp in FPS land. I enjoyed em and they have great Co-Op. If you havent played Eternal Sonota on the PS3 yet you can get it for cheap on the 360. The two exclusives worth anything are Star Ocean and Lost Oddesy for JRPGs.

Fable 2 is a fun game just play it relaxed.

They have a ton of old school arcade games on the 360. Turtles in Time and Golden Axe being the ones I downloaded. Dont forget about Monkey Island Special Edition too.

Grand Theft Auto 4 has exclusive bonus content as well for the 360.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm.. so what I've gathered so far is

Fable 2
    Gears
    Dead Rising
    Crackdown

I think that should be good to start with. Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll try Left 4 Dead too - assuming it's "as good" as the PC version (and I don't care about mouse vs analog sticks, makes no difference to me).

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    Ace Combat 6
    Lost Odyssey

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Definitely Crackdown and Dead Rising - two underappreciated gems, to be certain.

Also, if you're a man (or woman) and not some kind of sissy, you'll want to play Viva Pinata.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hm.. There aren't many 360 exclusives that I can think of..

Gears 1 is on PC, but Gears 2 is exclusive.

You say you didn't much like Halo, but... Halo 3 and Halo Wars are exclusive.

Ninja Gaiden II is exclusive for now, but Sigma II is coming to PS3 soon and is going to be a better version.

Forza Motorsport 2 is a good racing sim exclusive, but #3 comes out later this year.

Project Gotham Racing 3 and 4 are good arcadey racers.

Dead Rising is good :^:

Viva Pinata 1 and 2 are good lighthearted and colorful and addicting exclusives.

Banjo Kazooie is another excellent colorful and lighthearted adventure game.

Ace Combat 6 is a good new entry in the air combat series.

Tales of Vesperia is a great RPG, but a PS3 version is on the way..

Fable II is a good action/rpg Exclusive.

Earth Defense Force 2017 is a fun exclusive; it's an over the top campy action game.

Dead or Alive 4 is a decent 3D fighter if you like casual 3D fighting.

Crackdown is a good open world / sandbox action game exclusive

That's about it. There are other exclusives that are okay-ish like Lost Odyssey.. but eh. Depends on if you like the genres.

There's good stuff on Live Arcade that you should check out too. Like Splosion man and Castle Crashers (the latter you already have :^:).

People keep mentioning Mass Effect, Gears (the first), Rainbow Six Vegas, Braid, Dead Space, Bioshock, Fallout 3, none of these are exclusive games, and honestly, some of them are much better on the PC if that's your thing (you mentioned you had a good PC).

Live Arcade will get you some good exclusives though. I don't know a whole lot about Live Arcade though, exclusives-wise.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Since Shadow Complex pushed you over the edge and you have a PS3 and PC, I highly suggest you delve further into XBLA. It's really the main reason I still use my 360 all of the time; between the exclusives and upgraded ports of older games, IMO it stands head and shoulders above anything else you can do with a 360. (Besides Rock Band, naturally.) Some of these are also playable on PC, but:

- Splosion Man
    - Braid
    - Pac-Man Championship Edition
    - Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition
    - Geometry Wars 2
    - Rez HD
    - Ikaruga
    - Worms 2: Armageddon
    - The Dishwasher
    - Bionic Commando Rearmed
    - Heavy Weapon
    - Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie

And each one of the above is either $10 or $15.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Since Shadow Complex pushed you over the edge and you have a PS3 and PC, I highly suggest you delve further into XBLA. It's really the main reason I still use my 360 all of the time; between the exclusives and upgraded ports of older games, IMO it stands head and shoulders above anything else you can do with a 360. (Besides Rock Band, naturally.) Some of these are also playable on PC, but:

- Splosion Man
    - Braid
    - Geometry Wars 2
    - Rez HD
    - Ikaruga
    - The Dishwasher
    - Heavy Weapon

Nice any feedback on Splosion Man? I dled the demo but haven't tried it yet. I might have to play more Geometry Wars, everyone seems pretty hot on that.

I forgot that Rez was out on this.. Any way to get a uh... massager for that? The Bionic Commando game is intruiging too.

I played Braid / Monkey Island on PC already. Ikaruga on Gamecube back in the day.

Great tips again, thx.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bionic Commando Rearmed is also on the PC, FYI. It's still preferable on the console unless you've got a good PC gamepad and want to play it at higher resolutions and framerates.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sploozoo wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »

- Splosion Man
    - Braid
    - Geometry Wars 2
    - Rez HD
    - Ikaruga
    - The Dishwasher
    - Heavy Weapon

Nice any feedback on Splosion Man? I dled the demo but haven't tried it yet. I might have to play more Geometry Wars, everyone seems pretty hot on that.

I forgot that Rez was out on this.. Any way to get a uh... massager for that? The Bionic Commando game is intruiging too.

I played Braid / Monkey Island on PC already. Ikaruga on Gamecube back in the day.

Great tips again, thx.

Splosion Man is fantastic, but I'm also just on a high after beating it last night. Really hard but not cheap, a great puzzle-platformer with a lot of personality; at times it feels like the best parts of crazy-fast-pinball-bumper 2-D Sonic married with the flow and momentum of Mirror's Edge or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. The demo has a few of the first levels, really quite easy, but you can get a feel for the controls and the humor.

And Rez HD lets you use up to three other controllers as Trance Vibrators. :) Having it in 720p and 5.1 surround sound is jawdropping, and it's only $10 to boot.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I'll try Left 4 Dead too - assuming it's "as good" as the PC version (and I don't care about mouse vs analog sticks, makes no difference to me).

Don't do it. The community is wanning, and it lacks the user created content. It's not as bad as say TF2, but its not great. Get it for PC.

Hell, its cheaper.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Fable 2
    Gears
    Dead Rising
    Crackdown

Does in this game. :P I can't use the rifle at all, even though that's all I use in the PC version. But TEHO.

urahonky on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Fable 2
    Gears
    Dead Rising
    Crackdown

Does in this game. :P I can't use the rifle at all, even though that's all I use in the PC version. But TEHO.

Also patches and people to play with. PC version is fully updated to the latest version, while the 360 is stuck several updates behind. And I don't know how many people still play L4D 360, but there are still games of L4D PC with PAers going on pretty much nightly.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dunno. You like JRPGs? Tales of Vesperia (for now) is exclusive. Dragon Age is coming out in October. That's PC/360. There are so few 'exclusives' these days.

Is Tales of Vesperia on PS3 going to have a North American release? I'm still unclear on this (chances are there was an obvious announcement for 'yes' and I missed it).

In the meanwhile, it's still an exclusive.

Gears of War 2
    Halo 3 (yes, I know, terribly uncreative, but I still enjoy it further than KZ2--looks are not everything).
    Dead or Alive 4 (if you enjoy 3D fighters--it is pretty much the only 3D fighter that does 4-player properly, since SC4 mostly half-asses it. That being said, plenty of people prefer SC to it.)
    Fable 2
    Doom off Xbox Live Arcade (best console version, hands down--4-person split screen is more than enough to convince anyone)
    Ninja Gaiden 2 (Sigma 2 is coming out soon, but they may very well dumb it down like they did NG1, since Tecmo is not very good at porting. Furthermore, Sigma 1 had hilariously bad loading issues that may prevail again)
    Ace Combat 6, though if you played its predecessors, you will realize that it sucks. Because it does. Be wary.
    Lost Odyssey (lot of gameplay for your buck)
    Ghostbusters the Video Game--while this is available for PS3, there seems to be a general consensus that the PS3 version, unfortunately, sucks by comparison. Which is quite unfortunate. The XBL community for it is considerably larger. I wouldn't say re-purchase it or anything, but if you avoided it the first time raound
    Resident Evil 5--see above. I am of the opinion they are more or less the same, and don't player online much, so community size is different. That being said, you've almost certainly gotten this on PS3. No point to repurchase, forget this suggestion.
    GTA IV has exclusive content for the Xbox 360 which apparently is absolutely fantastic (can't say, I didn't like the game period).
    Tomb Raider: Underworld--see above about exclusive content.
    Geometry Wars are a fun series of games, I will confess.
    Metal Slug 3--FUCK YES. For some reason, this is not available on PSN. In any case, it is awesome, and a great arcade game. My first one, actually. Unlimited continues.

I think that avoided any PC titles you might have already played--hell, RE5 is coming out on PC, so it might have been a waste of time for all of us to pick it up on consoles anyway (if we have machines that can run it anyway). It's the anti-exclusive. In any case, I hope this is vaguely useful.

I personally would avoid Valve games, except for the fact that cheating is considerably less rampant on Xbox Live than it is through Steam.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lunker beat me to it: XBLA is the home to a ton of fantastic 360 exclusives.

Splosion Man is incredible. It's easily a contender for best platformer of the year and that's saying something considering that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is coming out later this year.

Pac-Man: Championship Edition is worth a 360 purchase by itself.

Geometry Wars 2 is easily the best dual stick shmup around. Ikaruga & Rez are, of course, superb. Heavy Weapon is a ton of fun in multiplayer (although it's no longer exclusive since it just got picked up on the PS3); Omega Five is a ton of fun in single player, and Triggerheart Exelica is an entertaining and unusual blend of shmup & puzzle game.

The Dishwasher is 2D Devil May Cry. It's just as awesome as it sounds.

It's also worth mentioning Live Indie Games. That's a channel on Live where you can purchase various hobbyist and independent games that range in cost from $1 to $5 (80 MS points to 400 MS points). Some of the standout games on the service so far include:

Halfbrick Echoes (like a cross between Pac-Man & Braid)
    Easy Golf (includes course designing tools)
    Miner Dig Deep (dig for valuable minerals to buy advanced tools letting you dig further)
    Weapon of Choice (like bizarro Metal Slug/Contra)
    CarneyVale Showtime (vertical oriented platformish game, winner of last year's Dream-Build-Play competition)
    Hexothermic (really well done puzzle game involving chain reactions of atoms)
    Biology Battle (quality Geo Wars clone)

and a lot more.

Oh and it's worth mentioning that all XBLA games & Indie Games come with a demo so there's really no reason why you shouldn't just download a ton of games that you think look interesting and then purchase the ones that are fun.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bionic Commando Rearmed, Braid, Castle Crashers, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Worms 2: Armageddon are either available for PC/PSN or coming soon.

Beautiful Katamari is probably worth it for the cheap price you can get it for today.

Zell on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't bother with GoW, just go straight to GoW2. Also I'm going to have to throw in a vote against Geometry Wars 2, so at least fully play the demo before you decide.

BK Nuts & Bolts is surprisingly excellent for Rare these days and it can be found quite cheap.

I would pass on RE5, it really isn't very good. Unless you will be playing co-op all the time don't bother.

Splosion Man is really good, and if you like traditional RPGs then Lost Odyssey provides a lot of value for money.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh my yes, 'Splosion Man. Fantastic stuff.

And get Pac-Man Championship Edition. I know, I know, at first glance it seems like Pac-Man. Took me months of convincing to get it. But holy shit, it's compelling. You now have to "unlock" more dots by eating the fruit that appears after you eat the first set of dots, and doing so causes the maze to change shape. It's absurdly fun.

And I'll stick up for Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It's essentially a vehicle-based platformer where you make all kinds of crazy crap with barely disguised Legos. Good stuff.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zell wrote: »
    Beautiful Katamari is probably worth it for the cheap price you can get it for today.

Eh, both my 8-year old daughter & I thought We Love Katamari for the PS2 was more enjoyable. And one problem with Beautiful Katamari is that a large part of the game is locked away as DLC so even if the actual game disk is relatively cheap, you're still going to spend a fair bit if you want the full game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    At the price you should be able to get it for today it's as cheap as the average XBLA game so you'll still get your money's worth even if it is heavily DLC based.

Zell on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Forget Ninja Gaiden 2 and pick up Ninja Gaiden Black for the oXbox. Its BC friendly.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zell wrote: »
    At the price you should be able to get it for today it's as cheap as the average XBLA game so you'll still get your money's worth even if it is heavily DLC based.

All the DLC that adds levels to the game add up to $20. I still think you're better off just buying a used copy of We Love Katamari assuming you also have a PS2 since WLK has better music and more enjoyable levels, but if you don't have a PS2 or have to have every Katamari game out there, I guess $40 (for the game + DLC) isn't too bad.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    For the Katamari action I'll be waiting for "Katamari Forever" in September.

Sounds like Splosion Man is a definite win.

I'll be getting

Splosion Man
    Rez
    Fable 2
    Gears
    Dead Rising

Maybe Crackdown.

Thanks for all the help.

Can't wait for Shadow Complex.

Gamertag is Grillaface. (PSN / Steam is also Grillaface)

would love to have some "friends"

thx again

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you're cheap, like me, shop at www.half.com for most of those games for cheap, used. You can't go wrong with the site (it's an offset of eBay, sold by people). I would definitely pick up Crackdown.

urahonky on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As a "recently got an xbox" ps3 owner these are the exclusive games I've played the most so far...

Geometry Wars 2 (trying for the achievements is what makes it fun, music/presentation is really good too)
    Pacman CE (wasn't a big fan at first but grows on you)
    Castle Crashers (but you own already)
    Lost and the Damned (Already owned GTAIV for PS3 but sold that one off and bought xbox version cheap)

Why would you guys recommend games that aren't exclusives? Especially ones that are better on PSN? (Like Rearmed, faster loads on ps3 version)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    VOOT is relevant for the subject at hand.

Always hate it when one of those threads goes to waste.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Is Tales of Vesperia on PS3 going to have a North American release? I'm still unclear on this (chances are there was an obvious announcement for 'yes' and I missed it).

The chance of a US release is damn near zero, actually.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

The chance of a US release is damn near zero, actually.

Why, I can't imagine. Maybe they don't want to dub the additional dialogue?

In any case, that seriously sucks for PS3 owners, since this isn't the sort of game you can play without being able to understand the dialogue.

Well, I recommend ToV as an exclusive then.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Space Giraffe is miraculously cool, and it's only 5 bucks.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Space Giraffe isn't 360 exclusive either.

Zell on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Abuse the shit out of the Live Arcade demos. Find something you really dig.

When I inevitably maybe (possibly?) get a 360 again, I'm definitely going for Shadow Complex and Splosion Man. The Splosion Man demo was so insanely good.

The typical recommendations I make for 360 exclusives:

Culdcept Saga
    Mass Effect
    Dead Rising
    Crackdown

...I think that's about it really. But hey, if you're an Xbox Live Gold member, enjoy 1 vs. 100! It's free to you and is pretty entertaining as a time-waster.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you like JRPGs you should consider Star Ocean 4.

Delinator on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I highly recommend the Gears of War games. The second one is especially great and it's a big improvement from the first.

I also highly recommend Ninja Gaiden 2. It's a really good game and feels awesome. It's challenging but fun and I loved every moment of it.

I highly recommend downloading Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 since it's a lot of fun, has multiplayer support, and has different modes to play.

If you're into JRPGs, I recommend Lost Odyssey. It's well done and interesting to play. It took the traditional turn-based gameplay of JRPGs and made some nice changes.

Also, I recently played the demo for Kameo: Elements of Power and had a good time. I plan to pick up that game the first chance I get so it seems like a good game to buy especially since you could probably find it for a very low price (it was launch title for the 360).

I've also played the demos for Splosion Man and Assault Heroes 2. Those demos made me wish for Microsoft points.

Dead Rising is also a good choice and I recommend that too.

Edit: Almost forgot: I think you might enjoy Ace Combat 6. I tried the demo and I want to pick it up someday. It seems like a very nice combat flying game.

unknownsome1 on