As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] August: 3rd string football galore

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    John Parker Wilson is going to be an amazingly good backup. Hopefully he'll get the spot ahead of Chris Redman and D. J. Shockley for the falcons.

of course he also is referred to by three names so he might be an assassin too

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So KC plays their first preseason game tonight, and i'd like to see how Cassel does. Unfotunately NFL Network has decided to air all the pre-season games tonight EXCEPT KC's. I really hope my guide is wrong.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CUTLERWATCH 09

Cutler has currently thrown one interception. He's completed 5 of 10 passes for 64 yards. Trent Edwards has gone 10 for 10 for 79 yards.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    So KC plays their first preseason game tonight, and i'd like to see how Cassel does. Unfotunately NFL Network has decided to air all the pre-season games tonight EXCEPT KC's. I really hope my guide is wrong.

no, they're also not airing the Cleveland - Green Bay game

the wook on
  • Options
    s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    CUTLERWATCH 09

Cutler has currently thrown one interception. He's completed 5 of 10 passes for 64 yards. Trent Edwards has gone 10 for 10 for 79 yards.
    And that was without Owens, and a bunch of hurried check-downs to lynch for almost no yards.

Good stuff.

Ya the bears got the ball on our 40 and cutler couldn't get a TD against our second string D.

Go Bills.

s7apster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    NFL network is showing the chiefs game at 10 am tommorrow.

Chin up.

s7apster on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The bears second string QB is looking better then Cutler and the first stringers did.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Raji gets signed. All GB fans breathe massive sigh of relief.

I know I did.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is he gonna be nose tackle in ur new 3-4?

s7apster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    so fucking glad Fitzpatrick isn't on the Bengals any more.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just got Fieldpass on NFL.com so I could listen to some preseason games since I don't have cable of any kind and they aren't showing Seattle preseason down here anyhow. When is the NFL going to get on the stick and do some streaming video like MLB and NBA have done and been tremendously successful at?

GRMike on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When ever roger goodall pulls his head out of his ass ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited August 2009
    NBC does it but only, obviously, for the games they carry.

Also, I'm glad fitzpatrick is on the Bills cus he's doing a great job and most anybody is better than Gibran Hamdan if Trent goes down.

s7apster on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GRMike wrote: »
    I just got Fieldpass on NFL.com so I could listen to some preseason games since I don't have cable of any kind and they aren't showing Seattle preseason down here anyhow. When is the NFL going to get on the stick and do some streaming video like MLB and NBA have done and been tremendously successful at?

when Directv stops paying them truckloads and truckloads and truckloads of money for NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    GRMike wrote: »

when Directv stops paying them truckloads and truckloads and truckloads of money for NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity

I don't see why Directv spends that money when they also have similar deals with the NBA and MLB and still seem to make money from subscribers...

GRMike on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the NBA and MLB tv packages are not carrier exclusive, you can get them with pretty much any cable/dish company.

DirecTV is the ONLY carrier that has NFL Sunday Ticket.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    You don't have to be a rabid animal rights fan to have a problem with Vick playing football for millions of dollars again after what he has done. This path to redemption of his has more to do with him getting money to pay his bankruptcy debts than anything else so a lot of this seems like pure rationalization to me.

there are people in the league who have done far worse shit than Vick.

Donte Stallworth comes to mind

I think this is very debatable. Stallworth, whom I would also support a lifetime ban and proper prison sentence, is a complete idiot but his crime was also an accident. He didn't set out to hurt anyone where as Vick consciously took full part in the torturing and killing of dogs according to those that testified against him.

That is a pointless argument in this context though as I feel both of them should be forced to seek redemption outside of the NFL.

GRMike, there's a big difference between finding advertisers for teams that play 82 and 162 games a year compared to the NFL's 16 games. You can't expect them to televise the same way.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can expect whatever I damn well please, Mister.

GRMike on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man john lynch is pretty awful at commentary

good thing it's only for the preseason

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    man, I didn't think the San Diego game would be blacked out all the way up here, but it is.

the wook on
  • Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You don't have to be a rabid animal rights fan to have a problem with Vick playing football for millions of dollars again after what he has done. This path to redemption of his has more to do with him getting money to pay his bankruptcy debts than anything else so a lot of this seems like pure rationalization to me.

I think this is very debatable. Stallworth, whom I would also support a lifetime ban and proper prison sentence, is a complete idiot but his crime was also an accident. He didn't set out to hurt anyone where as Vick consciously took full part in the torturing and killing of dogs according to those that testified against him.

That is a pointless argument in this context though as I feel both of them should be forced to seek redemption outside of the NFL.

GRMike, there's a big difference between finding advertisers for teams that play 82 and 162 games a year compared to the NFL's 16 games. You can't expect them to televise the same way.

Personally Taking a human life should be considered a worse crime than taking animal's lives even though both are terrible situations.

Also did anyone see hard knocks on HBO? Anyone know what was wrong with that fullbacks
    (that later got cut that episode)
    skin?

ThePrimm on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ThePrimm wrote: »

Personally Taking a human life should be considered a worse crime than taking animal's lives even though both are terrible situations.

Also did anyone see hard knocks on HBO? Anyone know what was wrong with that fullbacks
    skin?

okay

that's racist and i won't stand for it

the wook on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    crwth wrote: »
    man john lynch is pretty awful at commentary

good thing it's only for the preseason
    All these small market team-network broadcasts get fan-favourite vets to do commentary for the preseason.

s7apster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    so

i got madden '10 and i've played a few games with people, but i've lost by literally 100 each time and maybe run two plays a game

what can i read to become not terrible

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zoel wrote: »
    so

i got madden '10 and i've played a few games with people, but i've lost by literally 100 each time and maybe run two plays a game

what can i read to become not terrible

Oh, good to see nothing has changed since I last played online in 2004.

Probably nothing if you want to actually enjoy yourself. It's been a while since I've played online but when last I did Madden was pretty much about finding the one team with the one play that will always score every time no matter what (and they do exist), and just running it repeatedly.

Or my all-time favorite from 2004, the Warren Sapp MLB blitz that had a 80% sack rate.

Anyway. The Packers had an awesome game. I haven't seen the full highlight reel but it looks like Aaron Rodgers is still a man-god, the depth at receiver continues to confound defenses, and our own defense is no longer pants-on-head retarded. The 3-4 is juicy. I even saw a 2-6-3 which made me giddy. With Kampann and Barnett out there playing enforcers, I expect at least 3 fractured hips dealt out.

Last year they had a 6-10 season but lost 7 of those 10 by 4 points or less. If they can stay healthy I expect a Super Bowl.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    the wook wrote: »

skin?

okay

that's racist and i won't stand for it

It's not his skin was peeling on certain sections of his face and arm. His regular skin was brown and the affected areas were white it was really strange.

ThePrimm on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

skin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i think this year's commentary might be some of the worst i've heard in a long while

also all of the dumb frustrating stuff is creeping up

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's not as dumb as possible unless Bryant Gumble has done a game yet.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jordyn wrote: »

skin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo

Yea that's it thanks

ThePrimm on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    my comment was about madden

they clearly did a really really awful job of setting up context for the various little tidbits from collinsworth. they maybe make sense 1/2 the time.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the Packers played Cleveland tonight. I wasn't expecting much, but damn they played really well all things considered. There were about 5 Defensive starters out, and Cleveland played their #1s for longer, and the defense didn't give up any points. Rodgers was pretty sharp, not as much as I'd like but he's a really slow starter. He's always a little shaky in the first drive or two of a game, and he only played in two drives this year. Threw a TD, and then drove down the field for Grant tos core another.

Matt Flynn has made a lot of improvements. He's still not to the level where you'd feel comfortable with him having to start a game, but he's much improved.

Brian Brohm is still.... Brian Brohm. He is just... bad. 30% completion rating, 18 yards, two INTs.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    my comment was about madden

they clearly did a really really awful job of setting up context for the various little tidbits from collinsworth. they maybe make sense 1/2 the time.

Colinsworth is just terrible at commentating no matter what

ThePrimm on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    no madden 10, i do not believe you when you say reggie bush loves contact and hates players who run out of bounds

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I haven't had any context problems with Collinsworth's voice tracks, but there's just too few of them. At least with Madden they had player-specific commentary *sometimes*. Now it's just the same 2 or 3 lines over and over again with the names switched out.

I actually like his voice better than Madden though. Maybe I'm just stupid or something.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    no madden 10, i do not believe you when you say reggie bush loves contact and hates players who run out of bounds

no u

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When I first heard his voice I instinctively muted the tv for a few minutes before I realized I could just set the commentary volume to zero.

Zoel on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yeah, thanks for the tip on the commentary volume. I really dont have an issue with chris collinsworth he keeps his actual comment short and sweet and lets the other guy do all the talking. If he knows something about a guy etc. I just dont have the hate for him like I do madden, Im so glad he isn't calling games anymore.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Getting in his car drunk and stoned wasn't an accident. When you do that shit you know you're putting your life and potentially others' lives at risk. He obviously didn't hit the guy on purpose but he made every single decision beforehand that led to it.

I just think it's profoundly wacky that Vick got two years for killing dogs, and Stallworth got 24 days for "accidentally" killing a dude.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Vick served his court ordered time, which wasn't a bullshit sentence like Stallworth's. I think it's fair enough if he gets a shot at his chosen profession. It's not doing him or society any favors to force him to work at Lowe's or some shit after he's out of jail.

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.