As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] August: 3rd string football galore

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the wook wrote: »
    so Knowshon Moreno sprained his knee and has to get an MRI

Denver must have angered the gods of running backs

larry csonka and emmitt smith are hard to please

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oh please. Just because Walter Payton wasn't on your team is no reason to spout a bunch of nonsense

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    You don't have to be a rabid animal rights fan to have a problem with Vick playing football for millions of dollars again after what he has done. This path to redemption of his has more to do with him getting money to pay his bankruptcy debts than anything else so a lot of this seems like pure rationalization to me.
    Michael Vick paid his debt to society and then some. He is seriously involved, now, in advocating animal rights. Now that that debt is paid he is free to resume pursuing his life (minus the offending bits obviously), his career, and his own happiness. That is how america works.

s7apster on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    plus who among philadelphia eagles fans isn't an awful human being

i think vick will be right at home

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You don't have to be a rabid animal rights fan to have a problem with Vick playing football for millions of dollars again after what he has done. This path to redemption of his has more to do with him getting money to pay his bankruptcy debts than anything else so a lot of this seems like pure rationalization to me.

there are people in the league who have done far worse shit than Vick.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »

there are people in the league who have done far worse shit than Vick.

Donte Stallworth comes to mind

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was thinking of Leonard Little actually

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    donte stallworth killed a lady and got 30 days in jail for it

fuck donte stallworth

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Manslaughter Conviction
    After leaving a birthday party drunk in 1998, Little crashed into and killed Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, MO. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level that exceeds the statutory level of intoxication of 0.08 in the state of Missouri. Little received 90 days in jail, four years probation and 1000 hours of community service.

Second arrest
    Six years later, in 2004, Little was again arrested for drunk driving and speeding.[5] The probable cause statement filed by police said Little had bloodshot and watery eyes, smelled of alcohol and failed three sobriety tests. [6] Because of Little's 1999 guilty plea to involuntary manslaughter in his drunken-driving crash case, prosecutors charged him as a persistent offender. This made it a felony case.[6] Little was acquitted of driving while intoxicated, but was convicted only of the misdemeanor speeding charge.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well yeah

at least he got 90 days in jail

and hey we got six years to see if stallworth beats that record

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    And NOBODY in the media or in public talks about Little or Stallworth with nearly the same sort of outright disgust and hate as they do Vick.

GOD PEOPLE CAN BE SUCH SHEEP SOMETIMES

s7apster on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sheeple, as I like to call them.

Goose! on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The morality issues of this discussion are a lot more open ended than the legal issues.

Some would say that the willful and repeated torture and killing of dogs is at least if not more morally repugnant than getting drunk and accidentally killing a man.

After having served his time Vick is now free to try to make a living for himself. I wasn't advocating any kind of additional suspension for him, but that doesn't prevent me from thinking he's still a horrible person and hating him and any team that would have taken him in.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what vick did sucks too

none of these people should be allowed to come back in any capacity

the fact that they are being allowed to is pretty disgusting

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what vick did sucks too

yes, god forbid after serving prison sentences they be allowed to return to the one job they've been training for their whole lives

the wook on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    Some would say that the willful and repeated torture and killing of dogs is at least if not more morally repugnant than getting drunk and accidentally killing a man.

I like to call these people "wrong."

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what vick did sucks too

yes, god forbid after serving prison sentences they be allowed to return to the one job they've been training for their whole lives

yes god forbid after serving a month in prison they should be allowed to go make millions of dollars playing a game with no consequences for ending a life or being a generally abusive dicknose

god fuckin' forbid

I'm not going to feel bad for a millionaire who killed a person due to their own stupid bullshit.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Zoel wrote: »

I like to call these people "wrong."
    I mean, I don't intend to defend what he did but Vick was rarely personally involved with that nonsense. On the same note, where he grew up dogfighting was just part of the culture. Sure, it's very wrong, but it's hard for a young man to recognize how wrong it is when everyone around him says it's OK.

s7apster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what vick did sucks too

yes god forbid after serving a month in prison they should be allowed to go make millions of dollars playing a game with no consequences for ending a life or being a generally abusive dicknose

god fuckin' forbid

I'm not going to feel bad for a millionaire who killed a person due to their own stupid bullshit.

with great paychecks come great responsibility?

the wook on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what vick did sucks too

god fuckin' forbid

with anything comes great responsibility

I'm sorry, this isn't even really about Vick, though I'm no fan of what he did either. I don't like drunk drivers. When you willfully endanger other people's lives like that, you should not just get a slap on the wrist and back to the good life with you. Especially if someone dies. That's the kind of shit you get fired for, bare minimum.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Some people are fucking idiots

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what vick did sucks too

god fuckin' forbid

I'm sorry, this isn't even really about Vick, though I'm no fan of what he did either. I don't like drunk drivers. When you willfully endanger other people's lives like that, you should not just get a slap on the wrist and back to the good life with you. Especially if someone dies. That's the kind of shit you get fired for, bare minimum.

he did get fired

it's not like he went back to the Falcons

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what vick did sucks too

god fuckin' forbid

he did get fired

it's not like he went back to the Falcons

he got suspended

this is not the same thing

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No he got fired, the Atlanta Falcons cut him and he will never ever play another game for them.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so, for those that feel Mike vick , who served 2 years in prison and is on the verge of bankruptcy hasn't fully paid the price for his actions, what should be done with him ? cause i thought that people who get out of prison were supposed to be given a full chance at getting their life back together right ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited August 2009
    No he got fired, the Atlanta Falcons cut him and he will never ever play another game for them.

so I am to take this as each team in the nfl being its own company?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

why wouldnt you? they compete with eachother to sign players just like rival companies do with desireable employees. It was the Falcons who drafted him, the Falcons who paid him millions upon millons of dollars, and it was the Falcons who told him to fuck off.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009

why wouldnt you? they compete with eachother to sign players just like rival companies do with desireable employees. It was the Falcons who drafted him, the Falcons who paid him millions upon millons of dollars, and it was the Falcons who told him to fuck off.

fair enough. I suppose if you look at it in that context it makes more sense.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

i sure hope so.

there's currently a supreme court case in which the NFL is seeking a ruling that the league constitutes a single company rather than 32. the ramifications of said ruling are hard to predict, but there are a few that would be easy to see

big contracts would probably disappear. if the NFL constitutes one company, they can set a salary schedule across that company. Rookies make $X, 5 year veterans make $Y, etc. that would currently be considered collusion.

if big contracts disappear, it's real easy to see free agency disappear right along with it. if every team pays the same, there's no financial impetus to change teams.

of course, changes of this magnitude would cause an immediate strike, but given the 'one company' ruling, the owners would have more bargaining power than ever before. odds are they wouldn't get everything they wanted, but they'd get more concessions than they'd give.

so yes, i sincerely hope the NFL is considered 32 different companies

the wook on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As far as working together goes right now is just revenue sharing.

s7apster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    wook fears the teams being considered one company because his children will someday be nfl linemen/linebackers

and he would like them to set up his retirement with beau coup contract money

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    s7apster wrote: »
    Michael Vick paid his debt to society and then some. He is seriously involved, now, in advocating animal rights. Now that that debt is paid he is free to resume pursuing his life (minus the offending bits obviously), his career, and his own happiness. That is how america works.

Unless you're a sex offender.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    If Michael Vick was an amazing doctor and was convicted of the same crimes, he'd probably be a doctor again now.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    If Michael Vick was an amazing doctor and was convicted of the same crimes, he'd probably be a doctor again now.

yeah but if he was a doctor he would've never received the amount of publicity that he did

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raji gets signed. All GB fans breathe massive sigh of relief.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

yeah but if he was a doctor he would've never received the amount of publicity that he did

and if he killed a person instead of dogs he'd only get 30 days in jail. :)

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

IT's a good thing Ben Rothlessburger isn't a pediatrician

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This thread has been a vicious cycle.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    you have to go for the cycle if it's there.

Zoel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    To people who might think McNabb will have a problem with this move
    nfl.com wrote:
    Vick was the fourth quarterback to line up under center during the early portion of the practice. He took only one snap and completed his first pass over the middle against no defense. He playfully pumped his fist before McNabb, who lobbied the Eagles to sign Vick, and gave him a hug.

That was today.

s7apster on
This discussion has been closed.