As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini] Deus Ex Phalla - Vandenburg Scientists Victorious

• Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also I have to say thanks to Burnage for telling me who law was so I could choose to Join them instead of SS's faction.

I expected SS's faction to either go down in a blaze of glory or be massacred, so I figured any other faction was a safe bet.

He also told me the illuminati and triads couldn't win together, which impacted my decision a lot as well.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I failed for this first phalla. I already know.

Vote > Guard > Other > Seer > Kills > Conversions > Hidden Mechanic

Bremen stated a joint victory condition was possible, but wouldn't tell me which phase Denton merging to Helios was in. TheLawinator said it was in kills and apparently was right, and I assumed it was in "other" until I decided that TheLawinator was telling the truth because no man who isn't a total sociopath can argue for 3 hours on a lie. That ended up being right. Unfortunately I had let myself get too worked up out of trying to get the vote on Fiaryn that I told WhiteZinfandel specifically to not change the vig.

These are my mistakes and I own to them.

SpectralSpork, you are still grudged for being a complete asshole. Being correct doesn't change that.

The entire night still comes to pass in a phalla, regardless of a win occuring in a prior step, which even if it were other, would still have allowed a joint victory.

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ka-ka-ka-kow.

Good game everyone.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I failed for this first phalla. I already know.

Vote > Guard > Other > Seer > Kills > Conversions > Hidden Mechanic

Bremen stated a joint victory condition was possible, but wouldn't tell me which phase Denton merging to Helios was in. TheLawinator said it was in kills and apparently was right, and I assumed it was in "other" until I decided that TheLawinator was telling the truth because no man who isn't a total sociopath can argue for 3 hours on a lie. That ended up being right. Unfortunately I had let myself get too worked up out of trying to get the vote on Fiaryn that I told WhiteZinfandel specifically to not change the vig.

These are my mistakes and I own to them.

SpectralSpork, you are still grudged for being a complete asshole. Being correct doesn't change that.

Actually I could have made it during the seering phase or the kill phase. Guess which one.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Who the fuck was Paul Denton and why did you kill me?

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Shalmelo, it was random. I didn't really mind because you voted stupid earlier.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    Completely seriously, Bremen, if you had told me that I could voluntarily convert to MJ-12 I probably would have done. The factions were being dicks.

You couldn't really voluntarily join MJ12, but if you found one and asked they'd probably be willing to Gray Death you.

Gray Death infection PM, for reference:
    You have been infected with the Gray Death!

This horrifying disease promises a slow and painful death if you don't obtain a constant supply of the precious medicine "Ambrosia." Luckily for you, shortly after you noticed the symptoms, you recieved a phonecall from a strange electronic voice. It promised you'll get Ambrosia; atleast as long as you follow orders.

You are not a hero; your goal is simply to survive. Every day you will be given an order and carry it out; you will be informed what the order was, but you will not get the choice to refuse it. Because the order may be a vote, it is asked that you wait till atleast an hour after the day's narration to cast your vote, to recieve a PM with your order. If the order is to vote in a specific way, disobeying the order will cause you to be immediately replaced with a reserve player.

No force is preventing you from revealing this condition to others; however your desire is to stay alive and many would likely try to kill you to deprive your masters of a pawn. You are free to act or explain your vote in whatever way you feel gives you the best chance of survival.

You have recieved a new victory condition: You must survive until the end of the game to claim any victory or minor victory conditions.

You have recieved a new minor victory condition: If Majestic 12 is victorious, they will reward those who proved reliable; you recieve a minor victory if Majestic 12 wins the game.

Other three conversion PMs:
    You have joined the Triads

No gods or kings, only man

Your victory condition has changed, the new victory condition is: The Triads are victorious.

You have joined the Illuminati

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Your victory condition has changed, the new victory condition is: The Illuminati are victorious

You have joined the Vandenburg Scientists

No one should approach the temple of science with the soul of a money changer.

Your victory condition has changed, the new victory condition is: The Vandenburg Scientists are victorious

And I refuse to fully take the blame for the game being unbalanced unless it turns out it wasn't luck that landed two nightly kills on MJ12 on the second day.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Why did you authorize a kill on someone you knew was on your team

No
    for Denten getting a victory IMO

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Gray Death / Ambrosia thing was kinda cool.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I did. The information on there was relevant only if I decided to actually try to understand everything that was going on, which I figured was hopeless. So I went by the things said directly to me, which were "vig this guy, and don't change the vig" and "NO WAIT VIG THIS GUY". If you can't understand my confusion, I dunno what else to say.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bremen wrote: »
    And I refuse to fully take the blame for the game being unbalanced unless it turns out it wasn't luck that landed two nightly kills on MJ12 on the second day.

Pretty sure it wasn't total luck, given the masoned pair list I'd assembled, and the copious conversions.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Pretty sure it wasn't total luck, given the masoned pair list I'd assembled, and the copious conversions.

In that case there was nothing stopping MJ12 from converting as well; they were capable of joining factions under their cover identities.

Bremen on
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

In that case there was nothing stopping MJ12 from converting as well; they were capable of joining factions under their cover identities.

Seriously? Man they should have raped everyone.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I did. The information on there was relevant only if I decided to actually try to understand everything that was going on, which I figured was hopeless. So I went by the things said directly to me, which were "vig this guy, and don't change the vig" and "NO WAIT VIG THIS GUY". If you can't understand my confusion, I dunno what else to say.

Tong is blatantly pointed out in the players post. He is listed as needing to die in his PM. What else is needed?

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But we didn't. I don't know why but somehow nobody invited us into their networks.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Ah, yes. I keep forgetting about that. Bad luck on their part, I think; I never ended up PMing any of them a leader's name to convert before the end of day one.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Seriously? Man they should have raped everyone.

Between that, their ability to manipulate seer attempts, and their ability to throw a wrench in vote analysis by blackmailing gray death victims, I thought it was going to be a reasonably balanced game. And I think it was, it was just too random.
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    But we didn't. I don't know why but somehow nobody invited us into their networks.

You probably could have asked Burnage for a faction to join when he did the role call.

Bremen on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I attempted to make it a bit more interesting at the end, sorry it ended so soon.

It was cool Bremen! Very fun stuff, intrigue and drama is much more fun than everyone being happy at the end.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Seriously and Egos got stuff from me...

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    I attempted to make it a bit more interesting at the end, sorry it ended so soon.

It was cool Bremen! Very fun stuff, intrigue and drama is much more fun than everyone being happy at the end.

Also, Yes, because the more people who are winners the better!

Verr on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I didn't get someone's name to convert with either until I blatantly asked Burnage about it.

MJ12 should have been more assertive :P

Also !Yes, and yeah it was a fun game Bremen.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Tong is blatantly pointed out in the players post. He is listed as needing to die in his PM. What else is needed?

Again. This all looked shit complicated and was going to end less than a day after I joined, so I was just going to follow orders. And my orders were KILL THIS GUY AND DON'T CHANGE YOUR VOTE. So I tried to kill that guy and didn't change my vote. When I asked for a brief rundown on the boards, the response was "The whole game is a goddamned mess." So fuck off spork, you're a hypercritical dick.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I'd like to think I helped lead LemmingHead to his first victory as well, as he was my masoned partner.

He was wondering if we should trust Burnage who was so eagerly fishing for information on Day 1. I told him in most circumstances no, but in this particular phalla, fuck yes and let's get on his team.

Yep, my strategy was "Listen to Nocturne". Then "Listen to Lawinator". Apparently it worked.

One thing though? I'm a girl.

edit: !yes because I wish more people won.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    !No, because I am spiteful.

Honestly, I think Burnage ruined this game, at least for me. His role call pretty much ensured that everyone knew enough about everyone else that there was nothing to discuss, either publically or on the proboards. This was the most boring time I've ever had in a Phalla, which is disappointing, because I was looking forward to it. After day one, the entire game was "Wait until late in the day and vote for whoever the faction leader says to."

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Again. This all looked shit complicated and was going to end less than a day after I joined, so I was just going to follow orders. And my orders were KILL THIS GUY AND DON'T CHANGE YOUR VOTE. So I tried to kill that guy and didn't change my vote. When I asked for a brief rundown on the boards, the response was "The whole game is a goddamned mess." So fuck off spork, you're a hypercritical dick.

I apologize if I happen to feel that people shouldn't join a game unless they are going to play it.

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh, sorry. Stupid nonexistence of a gender-neutral pronoun!

Nocturne on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Seriously and Egos got stuff from me...

Wait we we're the only two you messaged? D:

Sorry I didn't respond back, I thought you were doing a Burnage redux.

And I sadly didn't know UNATCO was just the village bland faction, especially since my win condition didnt mention anything about aligning with others.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it's cool. According to my old Latin teacher, though, "he" is the acceptable term.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

ce? fhe? cie?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Egos wrote: »

ce? fhe? cie?

Them? It? That thing?

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    (Hippie would be here as Tracer Tong, but he gets disqualified for not accepting me to the Triads proboad for the ENTIRE GAME)

Yeah, that was abandoned like day 1 and had nothing on it :x

Approved now so you can see, its worthless :?

Also, just figured out how to approve... sigh

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I apologize if I happen to feel that people shouldn't join a game unless they are going to play it.

I didn't join, I substituted in and was told by the GM it was going to end in a day or possibly two. Also everyone else said the same thing. Also my leader gave me very clear orders, which I followed.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I didn't join, I substituted in and was told by the GM it was going to end in a day or possibly two. Also everyone else said the same thing. Also my leader gave me very clear orders, which I followed.

Joining and substitution are semantics, this nor the early end do not excuse one from learning the immediate concerns of one self within the game. Also, obeying terrible orders does not excuse oneself from the crime.

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spork, don't be a dick. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Joining and substitution are semantics, this nor the early end do not excuse one from learning the immediate concerns of one self within the game. Also, obeying terrible orders does not excuse oneself from the crime.

i dont think you can blame him entirely. he got shitty orders by the sounds of it.

he got shitty orders, and followed them. like a good soldier.

psolms on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

*ducks*

Man, this is like some weird food fight!

Sporks and wine flying everywhere!

And I swear I saw a good guy-- I mean a hero-- sandwich a little earlier. It was... rawwking.

Huh.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am the hero.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man I am so pissed that I had ISP problems and missed the end of today.

This game had a few issues but I think it really captured the paranoid, backstabbing, shifting alliance nature of Deus Ex. Awesome job for your first time hosting, Bremen. :^:

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That was me. Sorry bout that - I had to leave a full 8 hours before vote close and nobody gave me a target. I came this close to actively trying to stir shit up and vigging thelawinator, but got talked out of it by my brother. You were basically a random choice after that...

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm back, and I must say I am pretty much a good guy/hero/crime fighting robot in general. Not this game though. This game I was a scheming old man. With sooo many connections.

Decided to take a step away from the computer, Lawinator and I have been passing arguing, passing IMs, PMing, etc. and generally exhausting ourselves from my misunderstanding of the victory conditions. Spork's

WhiteZinfandel, just PMed you. I did **** up, as I think I said earlier, so I'm publicly apologizing here.

SpectralSpork, I still am grudging you for the time being. Maybe ***hole is a bit too cruel, but you still were a jerk here. I would be a lot more willing to hear what you have to teach about phallas if your corrections were not worded in ways that also seem like attempts to belittle and demean. Pretty sure most people are the same.

Bremen, the way your game happened to play out has made me decide not to play in any faction phallas for a while. When I feel like playing a faction phalla again I might be able to more levelheadedly say what I think of the actual game design, but for now I'm simply giving you mad props for having the guts to try something so incredibly different from most of the phallas that have existed.

Rawkking Goodguy on