As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering (now with 200% more OP)

• Options
    DazarenaDazarena Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    But other than that, it looks great for a first deck. Much better than the first few I made. :)

Yes I agree my first decks...where my friends and I thought the more crap you could put into a deck the better it was...

4 hours into our first game....with our 500 card decks I finally win.

Dazarena on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dazarena wrote: »
    But other than that, it looks great for a first deck. Much better than the first few I made. :)

Yes I agree my first decks...where my friends and I thought the more crap you could put into a deck the better it was...

BAHAHAHAHA! I would love to play with a 500 card deck, to be honest. Getting a good opening hand would be a bitch, but playing a 4 hour game of Magic just sounds epic. :)

Though EDH is pretty close.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

BAHAHAHAHA! I would love to play with a 500 card deck, to be honest. Getting a good opening hand would be a bitch, but playing a 4 hour game of Magic just sounds epic. :)

Though EDH is pretty close.

I love my 5 color Knight EDH

Knight of new alara + Korona, the false god + naming knights for +3/+3 = win

Dazarena on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can't wait for Lorwyn to rotate...Such an overpowered tribal block

Dazarena on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    btw, if anyone is looking to snag some Knight of the Reliquary's, www.wizardscupboard.com has 5 of them left for $1.70 apiece, and their S&H rates are very reasonable. I've been buying from them for years, and have never had an issue with them. They had 8 of them, but I wanted to finish my playset before I mentioned anything. >.>

I mention this mainly because I see playsets of them on ebay going for $9-12+, and Starcitygames has them up for $3 apiece, so it seems WC is being overlooked, or hasn't caught on to the upsurge in interest yet.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    btw, if anyone is looking to snag some Knight of the Reliquary's, www.wizardscupboard.com has 5 of them left for $1.70 apiece, and their S&H rates are very reasonable. I've been buying from them for years, and have never had an issue with them. They had 8 of them, but I wanted to finish my playset before I mentioned anything. >.>

I mention this mainly because I see playsets of them on ebay going for $9-12+, and Starcitygames has them up for $3 apiece, so it seems WC is being overlooked, or hasn't caught on to the upsurge in interest yet.

Thanks. I had ordered 8 from StarCityGames, but they sent 7 and a Gwafa o_O. Based on their less than stellar reputation I have my doubts that SCG will resolve this to my satisfaction. Hopefully the value won't fizzle.

jackal on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I bought enough to complete my play set already but I appreciate the heads up, i'm sure those are going to go up in value when more landfall cards are spoiled.

I really need to convince people to play EDH, it sounds like a lot of fun.

and Dazarena I feel you pain. For me it's partly the fact that I don't have lorwyn cards so I have everything to gain and nothing to loose from rotation. But yes, everyone being forced to splash red to deal with fairies (and kithkin) gets old fast.

Also, I bought a zendikar booster box online for 79.99 USD...I usually buy from my local store but he wants $154 CAD, which is 140 USD... twice the price. I paid it for my m10 box and got a foil honor the pure which kept me from crying but I'm not doing that again now that I found a seller with reasonable shipping prices.

Am I crazy to buy something this early?:P

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'd say Zendikar is looking pretty strong from what we've seen, but with only 7 cards fully revealed, I agree there's some risk.

My local shop sells boxes for around $110 Canadian, so about $120 and change after taxes. I've looked around online, but usually the $80 boxes include $20 in shipping and handling fees, so I see the $10 I spend extra as a "getting it now" tax.

Though the foil Honor of the Pure with my m10 box made me a happy camper. Hopefully Zen has a badass foil promo card as well, as it's little touches like that which make me happy to snag a box/fatpack per release.

Then I just ebay to finish off playsets of things I'm short on.

Forar on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Huxley wrote: »
    So, after collecting 4 intro packs as well as about 100 cards (kindly donation) from a friend, I've created my first decks. Due to lack of cards, I made three 40-card two-color decks (that don't really have a theme, I was just trying to work on a balance of spells/creatures and keeping my creatures' costs spread out).

And out of my leftover mana, I made my first 60 card "Idea" deck (the idea being, create a crapload of mana"). So for the lulz of the group, here it is:
    Mana
    Forest 12
    Plains 6
    Swamp 2
    Terramorphic Expance 4

Total 24

Non-creatures
    Black
    Ragged Veins
    Lingering Death
    Assassinate
    Executioners Capsule
    White
    Harm's Way x 2
    Pacifism
    Divine Verdict
    Green
    Overrun x 2
    Giant Growth x 4
    Naturalize
    Joyous Respite
    Rampant Growth

Total 17

Creatures
    Llanowar Elves x 3
    Elvish Pioneer
    Orochi Leafcaller
    Runeclaw Bear x 2
    Borderland Ranger x 3
    Giant Spider x 2
    Prized Unicorn
    Stampeding Rhino x 2
    Needleshot Gourna
    Kalonian Behemoth x 2
    Darksteel Colossus

Total 19
    Any of you vets see any huge rookie mistakes?

I don't know why you're running Executioner's Capsule and Assassinate but not Doom Blade. I'd cut one or the other for a set of those. Kalonian Behemoth is a pretty meh card too. It needs some sort of evasion, shroud isn't really enough. Other than that, it's kind of hard to tell without knowing what kind of other casual metagame you're going up against. The doom blade lack was kind of a glaring error to me though.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dman wrote: »

Build a couple of decks and ask them to play. Usually people aren't opposed to this. It's building a 100 card singleton deck with restrictions that annoys people. :)

I'd also just advise proxying them up if you wanna make strong decks to show off how much fun the format is. Print off the card and throw it in a sleeve of a basic land.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Since I bought the box online though I probably don't get the foil right?
    I wish there was actual price competition where I live, I'd totally buy locally for $120.

I try to trade to get the cards I need but there are always some annoying cards people have a death grip on so you just have to buy online. And then there baneslayer angels...I really want more but no one will trade it and I'm not shelling out $25/per to get them after I refused to buy them for $18/per when they first came out.

Edit:ryadic that's a good idea. What I really need to do is buy more sleeves...I have more decks than I have sleeves for already. Does anyone actually sell sleeves at a good price?

Double-edit: huxley, your deck is miles ahead of what I was playing when I first started. Go to a draft or sealed m10 event and 99% chance multiple people give you their commons at the end...heck I got elite vanguards, harms ways and junk rares that way!

Dman on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Build a couple of decks and ask them to play. Usually people aren't opposed to this. It's building a 100 card singleton deck with restrictions that annoys people. :)

very true, this is how i was convinced to make my own, and now it's all i play
    whereas before i was like 100 different cards

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Nope, brick and mortar stores only.

Edit: also, the final Planechase deck has been spoiled, and it's pretty badass. For casual players, these might be well worth the price, even if just spread out over time. There are some really good cards in them, they're all self-contained decks ready for altering, and you get the Plane cards to mess with (even if just using the "use one person's planes for the plane deck, instead of having everyone make their own plane deck" varient.

Forar on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't wait for Lorwyn to rotate...Such an overpowered tribal block

I can't wait for it to rotate so that every single white one-drop and red one-drop (except for one) will stop looking like utter crap.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Landfall is really hot, but you have to remember it is wizards and they probably will only throw it on big ugly green beaters that noone will really want to play because of mana cost.

I'm thinking trap cards will end up to be the real winner in the set.

Dazarena on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Landfall is really hot, but you have to remember it is wizards and they probably will only throw it on big ugly green beaters that noone will really want to play because of mana cost.

I'm thinking trap cards will end up to be the real winner in the set.

Well a one drop with Landfall could possibly break the format. Depending on it's ability, obviously, but turn 2 you start getting something just for laying down a land? Yeah pretty crazy. But the Rampaging Baloth, unless you ramp it out, it will happen as early as turn 7 you start producing 4/4s for laying down lands. The ability is great idea, but they really have to be careful what they attach it to and what ability they give it.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It may be unimpressive in standard, but I've got a Vernal Bloom deck and a Mirari's Wake deck that would both love a playset of Baloths.

I kind of hope it ends up as the Pre-Release mythic, as trading for a couple to round out a playset shouldn't be too difficult.

One of those + Harrow = hillarity.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh, I will definitely be adding Baloths to my Warp World deck. It looks like such an awesomely fun card and that deck is fun, so double the fun? :)

But I don't expect Landfall to be broken nearly as bad as Cascade was.

Traps could be very format defining, but not broken.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Greetings.

After a 13 year hiatus, ive managed to single handedly get all of my old friends back into magic, hooray!
    So needless to say, at the moment we are using some old cards, but something came up yesterday wed never encountered...

Vision Charm was used to change my swamps to mountains (i think thats how the card can be used), it was a pain in the ass, but fine. Then my opponent pointed out that my Nightmare would die as well, seeing as his toughness was now zero as there werent any swamps to support him.

Did we play it right? The cards seemed to say so, but it just seemed so odd.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Here's what vision charm says in oracle:
    Oracle wrote:
    Choose one - Target player puts the top four cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard; or choose a land type and a basic land type, and each land of the first chosen type becomes the second chosen type until end of turn; or target artifact phases out. (While it's phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist. It phases in before its controller untaps during his or her next untap step. )

So basically he would name swamp and then mountain, all your swamps would become mountains and then yes, Nightmare would die.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thats how we played it, i guess i just needed a 2nd opinion, Thanks!

Stalling me for a turn and killing off my toughest card for 1 mana? Thats a kick in the pants.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Thats how we played it, i guess i just needed a 2nd opinion, Thanks!

Stalling me for a turn and killing off my toughest card for 1 mana? Thats a kick in the pants.

Your question led me to look at Isochron Scepter. I can't believe that card was printed. o_O

jackal on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So, after collecting 4 intro packs as well as about 100 cards (kindly donation) from a friend, I've created my first decks. Due to lack of cards, I made three 40-card two-color decks (that don't really have a theme, I was just trying to work on a balance of spells/creatures and keeping my creatures' costs spread out).

And out of my leftover mana, I made my first 60 card "Idea" deck (the idea being, create a crapload of mana"). So for the lulz of the group, here it is:
    Mana
    Forest 12
    Plains 6
    Swamp 2
    Terramorphic Expance 4

Total 24

Non-creatures
    Black
    Ragged Veins
    Lingering Death
    Assassinate
    Executioners Capsule
    White
    Harm's Way x 2
    Pacifism
    Divine Verdict
    Green
    Overrun x 2
    Giant Growth x 4
    Naturalize
    Joyous Respite
    Rampant Growth

Total 17

Creatures
    Llanowar Elves x 3
    Elvish Pioneer
    Orochi Leafcaller
    Runeclaw Bear x 2
    Borderland Ranger x 3
    Giant Spider x 2
    Prized Unicorn
    Stampeding Rhino x 2
    Needleshot Gourna
    Kalonian Behemoth x 2
    Darksteel Colossus

Total 19

I don't know why you're running Executioner's Capsule and Assassinate but not Doom Blade. I'd cut one or the other for a set of those. Kalonian Behemoth is a pretty meh card too. It needs some sort of evasion, shroud isn't really enough. Other than that, it's kind of hard to tell without knowing what kind of other casual metagame you're going up against. The doom blade lack was kind of a glaring error to me though.

That's born of my having only 2 Doom Blades, and they're both in my B/u (I think that's the right way of saying it) 40-card deck.

But that's the exact stuff I need/want to hear: From what I've read and been told, Doom Blade is the kind of card you run four of in any deck with even a little bit of black. I'm doing some sort of draft Saturday afternoon (old card repack or something) so I'm hoping to come into enough mana second hand that I can bump those 40s up to 60s (or maybe outright build 2-3 more 40 decks).

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Huxley on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jackal wrote: »
    Your question led me to look at Isochron Scepter. I can't believe that card was printed. o_O

I have a playset of them from back in the day. Putting Counterspell in one was just about unsporting. Boomerang.. almost there.

I'm tempted to build a Fog/Moment's peace deck with them for hillarious results.

Forar on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Mana
    Forest 12
    Plains 6
    Swamp 2
    Terramorphic Expance 4

Total 24

Non-creatures
    Black
    Ragged Veins
    Lingering Death
    Assassinate
    Executioners Capsule
    White
    Harm's Way x 2
    Pacifism
    Divine Verdict
    Green
    Overrun x 2
    Giant Growth x 4
    Naturalize
    Joyous Respite
    Rampant Growth

Total 17

Creatures
    Llanowar Elves x 3
    Elvish Pioneer
    Orochi Leafcaller
    Runeclaw Bear x 2
    Borderland Ranger x 3
    Giant Spider x 2
    Prized Unicorn
    Stampeding Rhino x 2
    Needleshot Gourna
    Kalonian Behemoth x 2
    Darksteel Colossus

Total 19

That's born of my having only 2 Doom Blades, and they're both in my B/u (I think that's the right way of saying it) 40-card deck.

But that's the exact stuff I need/want to hear: From what I've read and been told, Doom Blade is the kind of card you run four of in any deck with even a little bit of black. I'm doing some sort of draft Saturday afternoon (old card repack or something) so I'm hoping to come into enough mana second hand that I can bump those 40s up to 60s (or maybe outright build 2-3 more 40 decks).

Thanks everyone for the advice!

There are a number of commons you should just own a playset of because you'll need them. Right now, Lightning Bolt, Doom Blade and Cancel are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head for M10 that are just "need a playset, will do whatever for." It's so much easier online though. Just four cards and I can put them in any deck I want.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are a number of commons you should just own a playset of because you'll need them. Right now, Lightning Bolt, Doom Blade and Cancel are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head for M10 that are just "need a playset, will do whatever for." It's so much easier online though. Just four cards and I can put them in any deck I want.

I would also try to pick up a playset of Duress.

Papillon on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Wait what? You get a sealed box, the box topper should be in it.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Papillon wrote: »

If you're in the socal area, PM me and I can direct you to stores that sell commons for 5-10 cents, and uncommons for 10-50 cents. Yay for getting 30 bloodbraid elves for 3.00 to give to local kids.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pjstelford wrote: »

You raised my hope briefly but google say NO! :? It's okay thought, still a better deal online for me anyways.
    With 50% classics and 50% soon-to-be classics, the Magic 2010 core set is sure to appeal to all kinds of players.

And here’s an offer designed to appeal to every player: the first twenty people to purchase a Magic 2010 booster box at certain locations will get a foil alternate art Honor of the Pure promo card!

But hurry, this offer is limited to the first twenty people per store!

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/events/m10buyaboxpromo

Edit: apparently we may have been talking about different things

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It's not a "box topper" in that sense. It's a promo card that WOTC ships to the stores in limited quantities (I believe the last one was 20) which are given to people who buy sealed boxes.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It's not a "box topper" in that sense. It's a promo card that WOTC ships to the stores in limited quantities (I believe the last one was 20) which are given to people who buy sealed boxes.

Okay, my mistake. I thought it was a card in the box, that online stores were cracking and not shipping with the product.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Papillon wrote: »

If you're in the socal area, PM me and I can direct you to stores that sell commons for 5-10 cents, and uncommons for 10-50 cents. Yay for getting 30 bloodbraid elves for 3.00 to give to local kids.

I draft a lot so I don't have too many problems picking up a set of the commons.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorin Markov 3BBB
    [+2]: Sorin Markov deals 2 damage to target creature or player and you gain 2 life.

[-3] : Target opponent's life total becomes 10.

[-7] : You control target player's next turn.
    ________________________________[4]

His +2: drainlife for 2 ability is amazing but the rest of his abilities are very underwhelming. I'm sure he'll be a chase rare but I just see too many other better cards at that casting cost.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That minus ability isn't terrible by any means. If he's going in a control deck, which is where I see him being most functional, when you lay this guy down your opponent will probably still be at 20 life or around that area. So, that's a pretty decent ability. His ultimate is just like all the other Planeswalkers save Ajani V and Garruk, pretty much unplayable. Well... not unplayable, but usually not going to use it.

I will probably go for a playset. I think he looks good and will be very good in EDH. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Boring EDH staple is boring. I'm much more interested in the mythic landfall goblin.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    edh staple indeed, could maybe be playable in constructed somewhere

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That goblin looks like it will be bonkers.

jackal on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what is the goblin? all i'm seeing is he costs RR and has double strike

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    JeffH wrote: »
    what is the goblin? all i'm seeing is he costs RR and has double strike

That's all that's known so far, but there is a big section between double strike and the flavor text. Evan Erwin seems to think it will be "Landfall - Put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token with haste and double strike into play." I doubt the tokens will have haste and double strike, but just regular goblin tokens would be really good.

"Danger! Danger! Come out of the safety of your holes!" really couldn't point harder at tokens if they tried.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the idiots in the rumor mill keep speculating a Lackey ability. Soooo... on turn 3 my Instigator hits you twice and I get two FREE Siege Gangs? Yeah, that does not seem fair at all.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png