Options

Microsoft Targeting MGS4 and Final Fantasy?

LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Boris Schneider-Johne, Xbox Product Manager of Microsoft Germany, today hints at his blog, called dreisechtig.net (German for threesixty), that Devil May Cry 4 may only be the first of three exclusive PS3-games coming also to Xbox 360.

On his blog, he posted the following phrase:

"One down, two to go"

Followed by the names of three games: Devil May Cry (striked), Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid.

It is unknown if this is only a personal wish of Schneider-Johne, or that maybe Microsoft has more surprise for us coming soon. But now Devil May Cry 4 has made the final step, nothing seems to be unthinkable anymore.
http://www.n4g.com/NewsCom-30603.aspx

woah. I know we've all been discussing it in the wake of DMC4 as a possibility of them making their way over somehow, but woah

waNkm4k.jpg?1
Lanz on

• Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Let's hope so. Platform exclusives are my biggest annoyance when it comes to gaming as a hobby, so the sooner they die out the better.

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    never trust a nazi.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why is Devil May Cry given enough credit to be lumped/considered with these namesakes?

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    never trust a nazi.

O_o

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would be surprised if FFXIII came to the Xbox 360. I could see MGS4 possibly coming to the 360.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    Why is Devil May Cry given enough credit to be lumped/considered with these namesakes?

It's one of the larger Capcom properties. And while it isn't as huge as Final Fantasy, it could start a landslide of sorts. It's probably more of a question of morale than star power.

Renzo on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I highly doubt either will come to 360.

I will fellate my own cock if they both do so.

JJ on
  • Options
    MosXMosX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Looks like it was just a personal wish of his. There's an update to the article in the OP link.

MosX on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »

Admit it. You're going to try to do that regardless, aren't you?

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

Because it's an incredibly popular franchise, with 4million units of the first game alone*?

*I can't find any numbers yet on 2 and 3

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So without exclusives...will there really be a difference between the xbox and the ps3? I mean, I see Konami porting MGS4 to the xbox but it's impossible for Halo 3 to appear on the ps3.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i like how reps for companies cant say wishful things like that without people freaking out and thinking it must be a hint of a company-wide movement to actually make it happen

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Admit it. You're going to try to do that regardless, aren't you?

No way I'm not flexible at all. Well my left arm is flexible I can scratch anywhere on my back with that but my right arm is not so flexible.

I'll need like 10 years of yoga class.

JJ on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    i like how reps for companies cant say wishful things like that without people freaking out and thinking it must be a hint of a company-wide movement to actually make it happen

He represents Microsoft. I wouldn't say I'm freaking out, but if a rep for any company says something, ears should perk up.

Renzo on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This could be a hint that Microsoft is getting more aggressive in targeting exclusives.

Or it could be corporate dick-waving.

Either way, I wonder if Sony will scramble to try to prevent this. There were tales that Sony got lax with getting exclusives for the PS3 out of arrogance (the makers of Assassin's Creed and GTA4 hinted that they wanted exclusivity at least temporarily), but the source of that lax attitude (Kutaragi) isn't in charge anymore.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    I actually don't care about any of those games, but I do care about seeing more Japanese developers on the 360 (especially Capcom and Square), making it more attractive to me. So hopefully it will get all these. Hopefully developers will see ports as a viable way to sell their games in the U.S., given the absence of any popular systems that are comparable to the 360.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jimenex wrote: »
    So without exclusives...will there really be a difference between the xbox and the ps3? I mean, I see Konami porting MGS4 to the xbox but it's impossible for Halo 3 to appear on the ps3.

Two VASTLY different situations. Bungie is basically 1st Party with a dash of 2nd party sesoning, While Konami is a 3rd party developer.

Halo moving to a Nintendo or Sony platform would be one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Konami moving MSG4 would just be a demonstration that times are changing, for the better, I might add.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This isn't even news, really. It would be news if Microsoft didn't want huge franchises like FF and MGS on their system.

Still though, I do hope this is a sign that MS is actively courting more developers (Konami and Square, among others). That could never hurt.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Deusfaux wrote: »

He represents Microsoft. I wouldn't say I'm freaking out, but if a rep for any company says something, ears should perk up.

its just amusing and they probably get annoyed at it sometimes.

IM A PERSON TOO

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Kojima had said before that the Metal Gear Solid footage we saw quite a while ago would have been feasible on the 360, but with the differences in hardware between the two, I really doubt MGS4 will hit the 360. Even if it's a "Substance" port later on with added stuff, I doubt it. MGS2 didn't sell many copies on the Xbox, MGS had tepid sales on the GameCube, and wasn't Kojima the guy who said he hates ports?

But isn't the White Engine being developed to be usable on multiple platforms? A Final Fantasy game on the 360 wouldn't shock me. I bet Microsoft would bend over backwards to get Square-Enix on board to help their flailing image in Japan.

But one thing we can all agree on is damn, Sony has lost a couple of heavy hitter exclusives already, so who knows what will happen.

Einhander on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Eh.

Makes sence.

Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy are all popular games with the hardcore gaming audience.

The Xbox wants the hardcore. It's their target audience. So of course they want to try and get these games on their system.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Microsoft to buy Sony in five years!

Just jumping on the bandwagon.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The DMC4 announcement wasn't that much of a suprise considering it uses the same engine as Lost Planet and Dead Rising.

If FFXIII or MGS4 were announced for the 360 though it would be much bigger news and I don't think they would just have some random employee of the German Microsoft branch be the one to, so slyly, break such huge news.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Better hope titmouse didn't see that.

I can see the headlines now: "MGS4: a danger to cocks?"

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

Better hope titmouse didn't see that.

I can see the headlines now: "MGS4: a danger to cocks?"

IF MGS4 HITS THE 360, TITMOUSE WILL SUCK MY COCK

edit: what a terrible, terrible way to start a new page.

Einhander on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MosX wrote: »
    Looks like it was just a personal wish of his. There's an update to the article in the OP link.
    "Yes, this is just a personal checklist of franchises that I and plenty of others would like to see on Xbox 360. In no way, shape or form is that an announcement list, an internal Microsoft shopping list, a “I know more than you do” list or something like that."

Well, there ya go.

Which, of course, doesn't mean that somebody at Microsoft ISN'T talking to somebody at Squeenix or Konami.

So the speculation continues.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For those who didn't see this on last year's E3:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707918p1.html

e3-2006-dear-mr-kojima-jump-in-ad-20060511021024189-000.jpg

Old news sure, but it's on topic here.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jimenex wrote: »
    For those who didn't see this on last year's E3:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707918p1.html

e3-2006-dear-mr-kojima-jump-in-ad-20060511021024189-000.jpg

Old news sure, but it's on topic here.

Awesome.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    MosX wrote: »
    "Yes, this is just a personal checklist of franchises that I and plenty of others would like to see on Xbox 360. In no way, shape or form is that an announcement list, an internal Microsoft shopping list, a “I know more than you do” list or something like that."

Well, there ya go.

Which, of course, doesn't mean that somebody at Microsoft ISN'T talking to somebody at Squeenix or Konami.

So the speculation continues.

Like I said before, I'd be shocked if they weren't at least trying to get their foot in the door. Surely there must be someone over there whose full-time job is to seduce top development companies into the Microsoft fold.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I heard Halo 3 is being ported to the Wii.

My uncle works at Bungie.

JJ on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to just throw millions at Konami and buy multiplatform rights to MGS4.

I mean, buy it for 100-200 million dollars and you basically buy the console war.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heh,

So the mention of Kutaragi's downfall had me wondering what he's doing at Sony now so off to wikipedia I go to find this hilarity....

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2400/emperorwanguq6.jpg

... "Emperor Wang, The Seven Deadly Rims" hehehe.

Had to take the screengrab as I've no idea how long it'll stay up there for.

edit: clicky, features crudely drawn wang, couldn't see the wood for the trees, etc. apologies.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    wasn't Kojima the guy who said he hates ports?

Considering the many ports of Snatcher and Policenauts, I doubt it was him.

Sheep on
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to just throw millions at Konami and buy multiplatform rights to MGS4.

I mean, buy it for 100-200 million dollars and you basically buy the console war.

Spending 100-200 million dollars on a game that may only sell 3-4 million in it's life time seems like a bit of bad investment. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see every game out there go multi-platform, but let's not jump the gun here.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not quite. Throw in another 250-300 Million Squares way to make FF XIII Versus 360 exclusive, THEN you've won the console wars, and caused every Japanese gamer to shoot themsleves in the head after they realize they just spent roughly $620 to play two sides of the SAME STORY.

edit: Oh, and maybe another 150 million for the Star Ocean franchise. JUST IN CASE

Transporter on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't think that is far off. My friend has bought a PS3 for the sole reason of playing MGS4 and FF. I don't know how common this is however but I at least know of one.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If MGS4 and Final Fantasy went to the 360... shit. I would actually not have a reason to ever get a PS3, as it stands.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    wasn't Kojima the guy who said he hates ports?

Considering the many ports of Snatcher and Policenauts, I doubt it was him.

Yeah he said that.

I'm not dredging up the interview again because any fan should have already read it by now.

JJ on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

a businessman you most certainly are not.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's the thing.

Take away the exclusivity of those franchises and there are very few reasons to get a PS3 over a 360. Very few.

Well, fewer reasons at least. Certainly enough to make a huge dent in the PS3 sales. Look at GTA4, that's a huge title that is now multiplat, so is Assassin's creed.

Bias aside, I expect these games to be remembered more as 360 games than PS3 ones, in the same way you think of something like Splinter Cell as being an Xbox title, just from higher sales.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg