As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey Hey You You I don't like your [chat] Thread

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Wait wait wait

J actually argued that calling someone "it" isn't dehumanizing?

I gotta hear the story behind this

It was exactly what you would think. Exactly. _J_ pulls out a dictionary and claims that because the dictionary doesn't mention any negative connotations for calling a person "it" then it's perfectly valid and everyone else (and not a single person agreed with him) is wrong.

It's actually a perfect example of why _J_ is probably going to be a Mormon tomorrow.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh, actual swine flu at PAX.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Armageddon over Bad Boys? I mean, I can understand The Rock. But Armageddon? Really, guys? Really?

You need to yell at Passerbye for voting for the pointless love story movie that never ends.

If you're going to watch a pearl harbor movie it should be Tora! Tora! Tora!

Dman on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    Wait wait wait

Me too.

It was more that he seemed to think referring to Oboro as 'it' was okay. I forget the details of how he argued it.

I founded my argument upon the definition of "it". So, yeah, I can understand why people would take issue with it.

o_O

_J_ on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm tired of being sick.

Damn you, Kakos.

It wasn't me. It was probably your crazy hummus.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Look say whatever else about the mormon religion, their jesus went out like a gangster (joseph smith was killed in a shoot out after he was accused of being a horse thief if I remember right).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Wait wait wait

Me too.

Wiggin, actually

PS referring to someone as a thing instead of a person is kind of the definition of dehumanizing you stupid bastard

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    I've seen the kind of thing you post in the philosophy thread _J_. You gonna' get trounced.

Most importantly, you are not going to be able to argue historical facts with them. That is what they are most prepared against. Anything you claim, no matter how good the source, will be ignored as just anti-Mormon propaganda. They have their own alternate history of their religion that would put Dr. Who to shame.

Will all of their positions come back to a foundation of "The Book of Mormon / Joseph Smith says so"?

Essentially yes. They are at core arguing from a position of revealed truth. Though they do have an impressive amount of pseudoscience and falsified history from various Mormom professors to try and gloss over a lot of their unsavory past.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wait wait wait

It was exactly what you would think. Exactly. _J_ pulls out a dictionary and claims that because the dictionary doesn't mention any negative connotations for calling a person "it" then it's perfectly valid and everyone else (and not a single person agreed with him) is wrong.

It's actually a perfect example of why _J_ is probably going to be a Mormon tomorrow.

There's a distinction between "the word has a negative connotation when used in this manner" and "it is incorrect to use the word in this manner". It is gramatically correct to use "it" when referring to an individual whose gender is not known or acknowledged. Is there a negative connotation? Sure. But that is irrelevant to the issue of whether or not the word can be properly utilized in that manner.

If I referred to Oboro as "chair" that would be entirely incorrect. "It" is entirely correct. Is there a negative connotation? Sure. But that does not make the use incorrect.

_J_ on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    Stephen Lynch tomorrow fuck year!

What, you get to see him live? Nice!

Which reminds me, I need to get my El Ray DVD back.

Aye, going to the Bulmers Comedy Festival to catch him at a really small venue (Probably about 1000 capacity). I'm in the 7th row and the show sold out in about three days.

Very cool. You'll have to bring back photos, if you can. :D

I'm showing up hella early to see if I can nab an autograph or something. I absolutely love him and would kill to get some sort of memento from the show.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jesus Christ just shut the fuck up

Doing a semantics dance does not make you right

It makes you a cunt

Me Too! on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ugh. I'm tired of being sick.

Damn you, Kakos.

It wasn't me. It was probably your crazy hummus.

As I explained to Jewcar, food poisoning comes up within the first 4-8 hours after eating. I didn't start feeling sick until yesterday morning.

And as I have had no nausea or diarrhea, this isn't food poisoning. :P

Passerbye on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    no that is just not right

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've seen the kind of thing you post in the philosophy thread _J_. You gonna' get trounced.

Most importantly, you are not going to be able to argue historical facts with them. That is what they are most prepared against. Anything you claim, no matter how good the source, will be ignored as just anti-Mormon propaganda. They have their own alternate history of their religion that would put Dr. Who to shame.

Will all of their positions come back to a foundation of "The Book of Mormon / Joseph Smith says so"?

Essentially yes. They are at core arguing from a position of revealed truth. Though they do have an impressive amount of pseudoscience and falsified history from various Mormom professors to try and gloss over a lot of their unsavory past.

If I try to compare their revealed truth with other revealed truth will they give an account of how the other revealed truth is incorrect other than "that is not what our revealed truth says"?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

It makes you a cunt

You can't ask for the story from someone and not expect them to give you their side of the argument.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    My favorite MBM anecdote: they used horseshit in the Armageddon explosions.

Ewww. Was it to make them look right or something?

Or were they using manure in the actual explosives?

To make the explosions look better.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm showing up hella early to see if I can nab an autograph or something. I absolutely love him and would kill to get some sort of memento from the show.

Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. Best of luck. :^:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

It makes you a cunt

You can't ask for the story from someone and not expect them to give you their side of the argument.

He is still doing a semantics dance

If his argument was anything but that I would still call him a stupid bastard but I wouldn't call him a cunt

Alternate response; Sure I can I never asked for his interpretation of the events (this is a semantics dance)

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    in a lot of ways _J_ is worse than a troll

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wait wait wait

There's a distinction between "the word has a negative connotation when used in this manner" and "it is incorrect to use the word in this manner". It is gramatically correct to use "it" when referring to an individual whose gender is not known or acknowledged. Is there a negative connotation? Sure. But that is irrelevant to the issue of whether or not the word can be properly utilized in that manner.

If I referred to Oboro as "chair" that would be entirely incorrect. "It" is entirely correct. Is there a negative connotation? Sure. But that does not make the use incorrect.

Bloody hell _J_. It is incorrect in exactly the same way that refering to a stranger as "anata" in Japanese is incorrect. The dictionary definition of the word is simply "you" (as in "do you have a pen?"). But the connotation is oddly enough either 1) that the person is very intimitaly close to you (though strangely not gender specific) or 2) that the person is your inferior and you are generally not pleased with them. There is no correct way to say something equivalent to "you". It has to be done with context and general verbal clumsiness.

Languages are not complete. English has no correct way to use a gender neutral pronoun in a single word. Hence all the clumsy ways we work around it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Swine FluPAX '09?

Still wish I could have made it.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I better study before the Mormons get here.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

_J_ on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    it is the recurring conversation that will NEVER STOP RECURRING

WHY GOD WHY

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I like 'they' myself.

But the correct pronoun for Oboro is 'she'.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Swine FluPAX '09?

Honestly I bet like 5 people got it from the show and they were all fucking each other in the ass. I feel safe since Kakos is over his illness and senj is canadian.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Even though oboro wasn't real or whatever, there was no question that she wanted to be known as a she

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Even though oboro wasn't real or whatever, there was no question that she wanted to be known as a she

Wait wait wait

Not real

What

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

If I try to compare their revealed truth with other revealed truth will they give an account of how the other revealed truth is incorrect other than "that is not what our revealed truth says"?

They might. It's essentially the same argument that many religions (at the least anything Abrahamic) boils down to: we're the correct ones and everyone else isn't.

Mormons are just a bit unusual because they are so recent and relatively well documented. Joseph Smith was a fraud of course. But then so was the nameless person or persons who wrote the Gospel of Matthew or Luke + Acts or Revelations.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    English has no correct way to use a gender neutral pronoun in a single word.

IT!

1. (used to represent an inanimate thing understood, previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): It has whitewall tires and red upholstery. You can't tell a book by its cover.
    2. (used to represent a person or animal understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned whose gender is unknown or disregarded): It was the largest ever caught off the Florida coast. Who was it? It was John. The horse had its saddle on.

in a lot of ways _J_ is worse than a troll

Cause of the facts and coherence?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wait wait wait

Not real

What

There are concerns Obo while truely mentally disturbed, was not truthful in any of the stories obo told.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    J there is a big difference between saying: "Look who it is." and "It just had a sandwich."

Do you understand this difference y/n?

Greeper on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "It" is inherently dehumanizing.

Using "it" to refer to a person is derogatory and rude.

Pony on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    even WoW chat is better than _J_ "it" chat

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Swine FluPAX '09?

Honestly I bet like 5 people got it from the show and they were all fucking each other in the ass. I feel safe since Kakos is over his illness and senj is canadian.

Don't feel too safe that I'm over my illness. My immune system is pretty fucking strong. This is the first time I've been sick beyond sniffles in about ten years and I attribute the compromise to the fact that I was exhausted from con-going and being exposed to pathogens my body isn't used to. Good luck!

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    In more interesting news, Rampage Jackson is replacing Mr. T for the A Team film.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I would give the mormons more credit if they carried around pistols or something to represent how gangster their founder went out. Christians have the cross, Mormons should have like a .45.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel I am putting too much effort into this endeavor.

My desk is littered with burned CD and DVDs and I have my computer on its side with the side opened up.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    J, your whole argument is that no gender has been identified/confirmed for Oboro. I would say you are incorrect. Many times she has mentioned that while she is biologically male, she identifies as female. Thus calling her an 'it' is not only insulting, it is incorrect.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    In more interesting news, Rampage Jackson is replacing Mr. T for the A Team film.

hahahahahaah oh jesus christ

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wait wait wait

Not real

What

There are concerns Obo while truely mentally disturbed, was not truthful in any of the stories obo told.

Oh well duh

I thought it was revealed that it was a Toblerone Triangular-level troll, a masterstroke of planning and brilliance and insanity, one that they talk about on the internet for years to come

Me Too! on
This discussion has been closed.