As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sadly Lacking Rad Backpack Selacktion

.Tripwire..Tripwire. FirmanRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So there's been quite a few threads asking for bag suggestions. This is slightly different. I peruse a few design blogs now and then and see some really cool looking ideas for rucksacks, but hardly any that evolve past a prototype or conceptual phase. Consider these:
backpack06.jpgtenbackpack2.jpg
558431231861174.png

THE QUEST

I'm interested in discovering what some of the most unique, visually or functionally fresh body-supported bags are, which are actually manufactured for purchase. Whether it's a particularly colourful and futuristic look, or some radical concept of a slinky container that coils around your torso - I'd like to have some reference of designs contextualized by actually being marketed and available to public consumers (regardless of price or production quantity, or time when it was available).

Rereading this post, I realize it sounds a lot like a school assignment - but this is just personal interest. I'm a first year illustration student with an increasing thirst for product and fashion design, which I might get to study in a later term.

I've been browsing backpack catalogues from online merchants, and it basically feels like wading through a thousand products of a minimally diverging archetype. So if anyone in here happens to know some of the more eccentric products or distributors around, I'd sure appreciate your time and recommendations! Thanks!

PS If it's on ThinkGeek I already know about it.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
.Tripwire. on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The reason backpacks change very little in the catalouge is because there is no reason for them to. Why fix something that isn't broken? What is the point of getting one of those back packs other than wanting people to stare at you?

The only real innovations I can think of in back packs are external frame backpacks, internal frame backpacks, and those camel back water pack ones. But none of those are going to look especially zany.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would consider love for aesthetic innovation a reason for change! It's not fixing something, it's altering the way it's presented. I understand the fundamental idea of the backpack will not be overhauled, or it will cease to be a backpack. But the pouches, the colours and materials, the exterior design could all be experimented with a lot more unconventionally without sacrificing function.

It's the same with any product, I imagine. As long as a laptop is fitting inside it, why wouldn't people eventually try to make it look different? I'm looking for the smart cars and cubes of the backpack world.

.Tripwire. on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wired Magazine seems to like reviewing backpacks every once and a while.

Here is a set that look a little too traditional for you...

This one might be getting closer to what you're looking for, but it's still a two-strap design. You can see a front view here

And there's always a Chewie bag...

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Those are great, thanks! I've been finding more since I made this thread, look at this weirdo:
    boblbee-megalopolis-aero-hard-shell-backpack-for-laptops.jpg

.Tripwire. on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good lord, what the heck is that? O_o I have to admit that last one looks more like a Sci-Fi-ish take on a portable fusion reactor...

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good lord, what the heck is that? O_o I have to admit that last one looks more like a Sci-Fi-ish take on a portable fusion reactor...

"Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    11215-1.png

The design isn't really all that amazing, but the utility possibilities are interesting. It has a bunch of adapters to charge various things. I'd be worried as hell about breaking the thing, but it could be fun to have.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's not too outrageous, but I just happened to see this backpack today and remembered this thread:

BLASHAGLO.jpg

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/KEEN-Newport-Pack/KEN0263M.html?AID=10279061&PID=1562496

Taximes on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    backpack06.jpg

See the Koopa, BE THE KOOPA!

Actually I kinda want one too.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Those are great, thanks! I've been finding more since I made this thread, look at this weirdo:
    boblbee-megalopolis-aero-hard-shell-backpack-for-laptops.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, that is actually a pack that is desiged to be worn while riding on a sport style motorcyle. It really isn't all that uncommon.

DrZiplock on