As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Now I have to finish up the Vertreon fortress zone cheek by jowl with filthy pubbies, and I will doubtless be behind the levelling curve of the Sorcelators forever.

If it helps, I'm only level 11 myself. Been having major computer issues. Not even totally sure they're fixed, but last night was promising.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For the love of god, anybody playing as Elyos: Do not pay the $10k cost for the potion that allows you to talk to that caged creature in Sanctum. Say you don't have enough and work for it through quests.

Accidently blew 10k kinah like that last night >.<

Got my Chanter on Lumiel up to 13. Killing is a little slow, but I have to really screw up to die.

I'm kinda disappointed how few of the intro zones include flying. I LOVE FLYING.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorcelators! Where are you guys at? Did we all go and run to asmodians or something?

I need an invite to the guild / legion / club / flock / confusion!

Character name is Curaga, allready signed up on your top secret forums and stuff :D

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think my favorite traveling feature is gliding in no fly zones. It just feels awesome to jump from a high hill then swoop in next to a quest NPC or player or something.

Weeee!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For the love of god, anybody playing as Elyos: Do not pay the $10k cost for the potion that allows you to talk to that caged creature in Sanctum. Say you don't have enough and work for it through quests.

D:

Goddamn Shugo! Always scamming people and akakakakakaking all over the fucking place.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am wondering with all the healer types on Yustiel will they be in demand as much?

M.D. on
  • Options
    AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    Sorcelators! Where are you guys at? Did we all go and run to asmodians or something?

Character name is Curaga, allready signed up on your top secret forums and stuff :D

Its a west cost server. lost of people work so it'll probably be a min. (posting from work)

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    EZEZ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone on that can give Devout an invite to the Alt legion?

EZ on
    psn: Fueler325
    Steam ID:
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Its a west cost server. lost of people work so it'll probably be a min. (posting from work)

How much was that a factor in deciding the server? I really just picked it because I didn't want Asmo, but I wanted to run PA.

I'm actually in Ohio...eastern time zone, have I made a horrible horrible mistake?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

How much was that a factor in deciding the server? I really just picked it because I didn't want Asmo, but I wanted to run PA.

I'm actually in Ohio...eastern time zone, have I made a horrible horrible mistake?

I too am from Ohio but i work 9-5 or 8 if they decide to goof off. So if you were looking for people to be on during the early afternoon EDT then you may have most people aren't really active till the evening from what i've seen.

Edit: and most of the elyos peeps wanted west coast so thats why it was chosen. i'm just adapting.

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm in europe so my play times are really bleh on the server but PA folks so yea

M.D. on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I actually got to talk to some of the Aion team at PAX, they've said that a Free Trial will most likely be coming, but not too soon. They're already concerned about crowding/server loads; introducing Free Trial characters right now would be madness.

Unrelated questions:

Pointers for being a Gladiator (weapon choices, etc.)?

Also, are Alliances Aion's version of a Raid Group? If so, how big do they get, and how much content is there for them?

1. Gladiator tips (I'm not cool enough to make a flowchart, deal):

a. get a polearm
    1. no, I don't care that GS animations are better, take the goddamn polearm
    b. rape shit
    1. ok, more info: learn autoattack threading. Hit special attack, let an autoattack go off. Clip the end of the autoattack animation with your next special. This technique is very important for good dps until about 16, when you get Rupture and have a continuous 3-attack chain. At that point, skillspam works about as well.
    c. uh...no seriously, that's about it. Wear plate. Don't be afraid to use pots/bandages/treatments. You'll need them.

I believe alliances are for legions. Force groups are the equivalent of raids. I think. I get the terminology confused occasionally. Whatever. 4 groups of 6.

As far as I can tell, there is no current content for raids. All of the dungeons are 6-mans. Raids are used mostly for fortress sieging and general rifting assholery.

Ender on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I too am from Ohio but i work 9-5 or 8 if they decide to goof off. So if you were looking for people to be on during the early afternoon EDT then you may have most people aren't really active till the evening from what i've seen.

Edit: and most of the elyos peeps wanted west coast so thats why it was chosen. i'm just adapting.

Ohio peeps represent!

The main difference between east/west servers is when the Fortress sieges are planned.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I paid 10k because I am goddamn lazy enough for that to be worth it for me. :(

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I hadn't even thought to see if I could quest it instead. :(

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Couple newbie questions:

Is there a good Ranger guide out there?

Second: How do I claim my preorder stuff?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    go to NCsoft's site, log in, go to game accounts, go to claim items, choose server, then character, then apply the items you want.

Unlimited times, but only once per character.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ED! wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    so do rangers still suck

By the numbers of people who are playing them I wouldn't think so. Cause there are a ton playing them which is kinda crazy.

It was all "Oh man, its gonna be nothing but Gladiators and Assassins 20+!" I have seen a lot of gladiators, about the same amount of templars - a METRIC load of Chanters and Clerics, and of course everyones favorite Sorcerers. The class, from my visual inspection, that seems most under repped are the Assassins. The few Scouts I have seen, have gone rangers, and I haven't seen to many of them either to be honest.

Does this mean healers will be struggling to get groups? O.o

Cause... wow.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    so do rangers still suck

By the numbers of people who are playing them I wouldn't think so. Cause there are a ton playing them which is kinda crazy.

It was all "Oh man, its gonna be nothing but Gladiators and Assassins 20+!" I have seen a lot of gladiators, about the same amount of templars - a METRIC load of Chanters and Clerics, and of course everyones favorite Sorcerers. The class, from my visual inspection, that seems most under repped are the Assassins. The few Scouts I have seen, have gone rangers, and I haven't seen to many of them either to be honest.

Cause... wow.

That's what I was thinking. By looking at the numbers you would think people would be hurting for some more dps.

M.D. on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Compiled into flowchart form:
    Flow_charts3.png

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Compiled into flowchart form:
    Flow_charts3.png

You, sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar.

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so do rangers still suck

Cause... wow.

That's what I was thinking. By looking at the numbers you would think people would be hurting for some more dps.

I don't think it will be a problem. A lot of those healers will get bored of healing and want to do mad deeps so they will reroll.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That's what I'm hoping. Right now on my server 17% of the population are Clerics and 11% are Chanters

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So 28% of the population is 25% of the classes? thats.. not bad?

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But, from an MMO perspective, unlikely.

Typically 75% of the population is made up of DPS classes or in this case 50% of the available classses

Tanks usually amount to 15% which is 15% of the classes (I count gladiators as half)

Healers total up to about 10% which is 20% of the classes

I may be exaggerating but this current distribution will probably change.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    hey i do good DEEPS, have main healed some elites and bring the mad buffs. Chatner fo LIFE *throws gang sign*

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So does Ranger start to get better eventually? Right now I can barely take on more than one mob at a time (I'm lvl 10).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    So does Ranger start to get better eventually? Right now I can barely take on more than one mob at a time (I'm lvl 10).

well you wear leather and aren't supposed to get hit. This isn't a game where DPS can face pull hordes of mobs and just burn them down.

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ranger gets real good around 16 I hear.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Heir wrote: »

well you wear leather and aren't supposed to get hit. This isn't a game where DPS can face pull hordes of mobs and just burn them down.

Well the problem is that I just NOW got a bow...and I have to kite the crap out of stuff to keep my hp up.

But it seems it gets better as I level up, so I'll stick with it.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    CorriganX wrote: »
    So 28% of the population is 25% of the classes? thats.. not bad?

It's bad news for the healers. Half of them are only healers because they want easy access to parties, not because they actually enjoy healing. If healers aren't rare, then suddenly those players who don't really like healing are wasting their time.

But I figure it will balance out. Those who are just healers for the popularity will soon move on to DPS and we can go back to having it be impossible for an assassin to get a group.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    But I figure it will balance out. Those who are just healers for the popularity will soon move on to DPS and we can go back to having it be impossible for an assassin to get a group.

Ahh... thats the stuff.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ok so, how do we actually go about joining our respective legion? Do I need to send a note to someone in game? If so, who?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There is a website in the OP that has lists of the officers in each legion...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Considering most pvp groups will have at least 2 healers, I don't see the amount of healers being bad.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm on currently if anyone wants an alt in the alt Legion.

I'm on as Kingshand but I can hop over to my ranger to do the invites.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Dangit, corrigan, I want to be a special snowflake.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dangit, corrigan, I want to be a special snowflake.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to be off for a few, baby is being fussy.

If you want an Alt in the Alt Legion today please send me a PM with your alts name in-game and your mains name.

I'll get to people as soon as possible. Alternately, if Yar(Kalgareth) is online he can also invite.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1. Exis, I fucking love you. Have my creepy internet man-babies.

2. Ranger guide!

Level 10 - fucking cry. You suck, face it. You will take a billion years to kill anything if you try to kite. Best bet, Entangling shot, Swift Shot, autoshot till they get to you, switch to melee, Focused Evasion, stun, backstab. Most things will be pretty dead. You may have to throw in a Swift Strike - Soul Slash combo.

Level 13 - guess what? You still suck. Yep, you still only have 2 shots. However, you get Dodging, which makes for the melee portion to be easier.

Level 16 - HOLY SHIT A THIRD SHOT. Yeah, you get your first combo shot. Thank god. You can now try kiting, but it can still be tough on some opponents. You can usually Entangling, Swift - Arrow Strike, switch to melee, stun, backstab, run away, switch to ranged, Entangling, Swift - Arrow, and things will be dead.

Level 19 - CAN IT BE?!?! Your love/hate relationship with ranger dps starts here, with Stunning Shot. Now, you can finally actually kite shit to death without ninja acrobatics and 10 years per mob. However, the damage range on Stunning Shot will make you want to kill yourself, since it is completely random (do not listen to the tooltip, that's the typical min damage, NOT the actual range). I have had this hit for 300, hit for 800, crit for 1400, or crit for 400. Yeah, that's a crit of 400 folks. I have no clue how the damage range works. Srsly.

Level 22 - Not much of a change. You get Poison Shot, which is an option off of Swift Shot, so you can now either Poison or Arrow strike. Pretty sure Arrow does more damage, but Poison can be incredibly useful in PvP.

Level 25 - Finally, a combo off Stunning Shot. Rupture Arrow finally makes you feel like a worthy class. Cooldown sucks, but you'll finally catch up to the killing speeds of other dps classes, instead of making clerics look like grinding machines.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. NEVER, I mean NEVER kite by walking backwards. Never. Turn around, and run away. You will learn to love the forward movement damage bonus. You will also hate the moving backwards/strafing damage penalty. Under no circumstances should you fire a shot if you have the damage penalty. It hurts. It's estimated at about -70%.

2. Learn to jumpshot. While they say they "fixed" this, they only partially did. There are two types of jumpshots:
    autoshot jumps: jump, turn in midair, and hit the autoshot button. You will autoshot. This is good. It's very easy to pull off, and you can continue to move while doing it.

special jumps: this is tougher. Jump, turn, and let go of the forward movement button. While you are on the downside of your jump, hit your attack. Wait until you see the shot fire. This will prevent you from being rooted during the animation phase of the skill (you won't see it at all, you'll just see an arrow fire out of your combat pose). Immediately run. This has a benefit and a downside. One, you keep moving instead of being rooted. Two, you will lock up for the duration that the animation would have taken. This means no autoshots, no other specials. You can usually jump, special, run a few steps, and repeat with a chain or another skill, but autoshot seems to lock for an inordinate amount of time.

3. Bind a key to "Attack/Chat". You can have a hotkey set, and use the "Attack/Chat" button from your skills menu. This is important. Anything that would prevent you from autoshotting when you're supposed to will cause autoshot to turn off. IE, if you're kiting, and facing away when a shot should have gone off, it will shut off autoshot. If you clip your autoshot with special spam, it will shut off. Just bind a damn key already and get used to it.

4. Use Devotion ALL THE TIME. Pre-19, I hit Devo before Entangle. Post-19, I hit it after the Entangle, before the Swift - Arrow, Stunning combo. After that, it may be best to save it for Stun - Rupture. Either way, try to make sure you use it every combat.

5. Keep Dodging up all the time. It seriously boosts your Evasion quite a bit. You'll notice the difference.

6. Focused Evasion is your friend. Get used to using it. It can be a helpful kiting tool if you're stuck kiting in a restricted area. Hit it, run through the mob and kite to the other side. You'll dodge whatever they throw at you. PS - FE is an AWESOME skill when dealing with AoE attacks from bosses. I'm looking at you, Chief whatthefuck from the Krall area. You can outrange his normal AoE, but his 20% hp AoE has apparently an infinite range, and can kill lower hp characters like you. Unless, of course, you fucking dodge it. Yeah baby.

I have now leveled 5 (!!!) rangers, so I'm pretty good at this crap. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Ender on