As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BREAKING NEWS: Duke Nukem Forever is going to be Multiplatform!

13»

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Slash needs to laminate that receipt to preserve it for future generations.

Echo on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At some point during these ten years, every joke that can be made about DNF has been done.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    At some point during these ten years, every joke that can be made about DNF has been done.

I dunno, you couldn't really do the PS9 joke without the multiplatform announcement.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, um, multiplatform, huh. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

img1c160c018ic7u7.jpeg

(did somebody beat me to it?)

The Pee Ess Trizzle Trizzle.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GSM wrote: »

I dunno, you couldn't really do the PS9 joke without the multiplatform announcement.

Believe me, it's been done.
    But more than that, it was the "coming out on the phantom" joke that was made the most.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

Holy shit, I had forgotten how hard that rocks.

This needs to be in the next Guitar Hero as one of the unlockable tracks.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

Holy shit, I had forgotten how hard that rocks.

This needs to be in the next Guitar Hero as one of the unlockable tracks.

Didn't Megadeth do that theme? Definitely one of the best ever.

I could see DNF actually being good if they finish it anytime soon. All they need is enough self-referential humor.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I could see DNF actually being good if they finish it anytime soon. All they need is enough self-referential humor.

They should have references to shit that happened 10 years ago.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    also: DNF trailer with the latest in-game footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRJyFhYFn4

Sidenote: this thread made me pull out Manhattan Project again. DNMP might be the best 2.5D sidescroller ever. I think I like it more than Viewtiful Joe.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    also: DNF trailer with the latest in-game footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRJyFhYFn4

Sidenote: this thread made me pull out Manhattan Project again. DNMP might be the best 2.5D sidescroller ever. I think I like it more than Viewtiful Joe.

(Watches trailer)
    If the gameplay's really like that...

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, um, multiplatform, huh. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

img1c160c018ic7u7.jpeg

(did somebody beat me to it?)

dnforeverzs1.gif

or

dnforever2lq3.gif

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    dragonsama wrote: »
    2 PA comics on DNF
    3, actually.

Really? I don't remember what the third one was.

There was: Playing Cowboy and I've been playing EQ all the time. What was the third one?

Artoria on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    2 PA comics on DNF
    3, actually.

There was: Playing Cowboy and I've been playing EQ all the time. What was the third one?

"Persuasive Resume"

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know, after watching that 2001 trailer, it made me realize:

They quoted both Blair Witch and Alien 3. Never noticed that before.

Also, Duke Nukem has the best theme music ever.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, the one thing this thread has done is strengthen my resolve to buy They Live! I assume it's on DVD, right?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2 PA comics on DNF
    3, actually.

"Persuasive Resume"

I posted all 3 earlier in the thread.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Honestly, the one thing this thread has done is strengthen my resolve to buy They Live! I assume it's on DVD, right?

Yep.
    I hear it is over there, and I know it is over here.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We should all do something on April 27th to commemorate the anniversary.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2 PA comics on DNF
    3, actually.

"Persuasive Resume"

I posted all 3 earlier in the thread.

Actually it turns out there were 4. the two that were already posted and these two.

20000211h.jpg
    20011226h.gif

but now we are horribly off topic.

Anyways I plan to buy DNF when it comes out. If nothing more than to say I have it. I am sure the game will suck but it will be fun in a "This is what took them 10+ years to make?" kind of way.

Artoria on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    *sends a copy of Daikatana to dragonsama*

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Will they still accept a preorder that old?
    they should give him the game for free imo!
    The interest that has built-up on that $10 should cover the full-cost of the game when it finally emerges.

Fuck, never mind the interest. He shoudl just get it for free for producing a pre-order from 2001, just for the fact that it's from 2001.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Assuming an interest rate of 7% (which is a bit high), you'd get about $5 of interest. Assuming they honored the pre-order, I wonder if they would be willing to take that into consideration? :P

Ballman on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The article says they've made "significant progress" with the game in the last year, as they started focusing on a more "realistic" development since they were aiming too high before. If they want to actually remove this bad image of themselves and their game, and get people interested again, they should just show us some fucking screenshots. Their "we're not showing any screenshots until the game is done" attitude is only hurting them, for God's sake.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    The article says they've made "significant progress" with the game in the last year, as they started focusing on a more "realistic" development since they were aiming too high before. If they want to actually remove this bad image of themselves and their game, and get people interested again, they should just show us some fucking screenshots. Their "we're not showing any screenshots until the game is done" attitude is only hurting them, for God's sake.

If it won't be finished in a year they'll switch engines are start over anyway

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Oh, if this game ever gets released, it'll be the most outdated piece of trash on the shelves. And yet some hardcore gamers (read: people on our level) will buy it just to say they have it.

I've never even played a Duke Nukem game, and I'll probably buy it just to say I have it.

As long as this has been in development, where on fucking earth have they gotten the money to fund a development cycle this long? And to build off that, just how many copies are they going to have to sell to recoup that dev funding?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh, if this game ever gets released, it'll be the most outdated piece of trash on the shelves. And yet some hardcore gamers (read: people on our level) will buy it just to say they have it.

I've never even played a Duke Nukem game, and I'll probably buy it just to say I have it.

As long as this has been in development, where on fucking earth have they gotten the money to fund a development cycle this long? And to build off that, just how many copies are they going to have to sell to recoup that dev funding?

OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND
    It's the DNF thread, it needs every cliche in the book

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    * In the not too distant future *

A young man has just bought DNF and races home to play this legendary game. He pulls into his drive-way and runs inside. He gets comfortable on his couch. The young man makes sure he has his snacks and beverage of choice handy. Then the young man inserts the game disc into his Phantom 2: Electric Boogaloo. What he sees next is not what he expects. A video pops up on his tv screen. It is the 3D Realms Dev team. George Broussard's clone speaks up and says, "You just got Punk'd!". The rest of the Dev team bursts out in laughter. The young man cries.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    *BUZZ*Dude, I am from the future. 2101. When war was beggining. The Hive was pissed because DNF had yet to be released. The hive was pissed. We had no time to survive, we had to make. Then, after taking all the Zigs off of the 3D realms ruins, we found it. DNF. and it was awesome. The game slowly got graphically better, with the levels being named after what year they were made in, ending in 2020. Just wait, you'll get it. *ZAAAP!*

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's taken 10 years and counting to develop this game, what they haven't told you is it'll take the player twice that to complete it.

Oakey on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Yeah! I'll finally be able to use my preorder!

duke_forever_pre.jpg

no DNF thread is complete without me coming in here to post it.

Don't forget to trade your games!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Interesting that this is still coming out. I remember that at one point they announced that a sequel would be coming out. Now the sequel at the very least won't be something that follows up a non-existent game.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Interesting that this is still coming out. I remember that at one point they announced that a sequel would be coming out. Now the sequel at the very least won't be something that follows up a non-existent game.

How can you have a sequel to something that goes on.......forever?

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

3D Realms is a really small studio. That plus the fact that they produced Prey (it being their IP and all), a few Duke Nukem spinoffs (on the GBA, Mobile and PC) and the Max Payne games, has probably gained them a decent amount of money to continue funding Duke Nukem Forever.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Well, look at it this way. By the time you finish law school, the game's probably going to be out and if Gamestop gives you any lip about it, sue them for 10 bucks.

Now that would be funny.

lol. I don't think I'll get any lip. Mostly just shocked and confused looks :)

Slash, does Gamestop still have your 10 bucks?

Probably not. I really, really doubt it. Oh well! It was worth $10 for the ridiculousness of having this preorder stub.
    drhazard wrote: »
    I'll repeat: I will buy this game, sight unseen and without reading reviews, as soon as it's on the shelves. 3DR deserves my money simply for the hilarity they have given me over the years.

Haha, exactly. It's been such a joke, I couldn't not see how it eventually turned out!

Athenor wrote: »
    Put it between two panes of glass. Don't laminate it,a s the heat would ruin it.. but just get it where it isn't exposed to light or air.

And if they don't honor it, file a claim with the BBB.

Well, they do have adhesive-based lamination, where it's basically like a large piece of tape that you press the paper onto. But I d'no, I like the glass idea. I could put it in a frame!

Echo wrote: »
    Slash needs to laminate that receipt to preserve it for future generations.

Hm... you're right... I haven't truly considered that the game might not come out in my lifetime. I think I'll wait until the text is juuuuust barely readable, then laminate it.

Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Will they still accept a preorder that old?
    they should give him the game for free imo!
    The interest that has built-up on that $10 should cover the full-cost of the game when it finally emerges.

Hahah. I'll tell that to the manager, if he's around when I finally get the game. Maybe he'll be nice and knock a few dollars off just for coming back to his store.....
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Fuck, never mind the interest. He shoudl just get it for free for producing a pre-order from 2001, just for the fact that it's from 2001.

Or this. :)

Dublo7 wrote: »
    Don't forget to trade your games!

thanks Gamestop!

slash000 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »

How can you have a sequel to something that goes on.......forever?

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StewoxStewox Registered User new member
    edited September 2010