As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brutal Legend: Buy it, it's awesome.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When I have time, I will make a multiplayer guide in the next OP describing units, strategies, controls and Double Teams. Starting with Eddie.

If you do want to experiment with multiplayer, but want to keep spoilers to a minimum, you can choose AI Practice and leave characters default. The third character is a massive spoiler. The only thing spoiled will be abilities.

You will play Eddie and you will fight Deviculus.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, the multiplayer trailer shows all the characters

oops

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

oops

Yeah, but unless you're obsessive about looking over every detail of the game, you won't even know it's a spoiler.

(I was. :()

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

oops

Yeah, but unless you're obsessive about looking over every detail of the game, you won't even know it's a spoiler.

I viewed it a couple thousand times because it was too awesome and yes, this.

Cantido on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

oops

Yeah, I just wanted to see what MP entailed. Then the trailer started up.

whoops.jpg

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    I almost like that about the game. It doesn't hold your hand, you have to figure your things out yourself.

It took me couple minutes to figure out what to do against
    The giant metal spider
    But it was pretty easy as soon as I figured out what to do. Also, the whole "Thick as a baby's arm" bit, I laughed way too hard at that.

Since this kept kicking my ass last night... what do you do?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I almost like that about the game. It doesn't hold your hand, you have to figure your things out yourself.

The giant metal spider
    But it was pretty easy as soon as I figured out what to do. Also, the whole "Thick as a baby's arm" bit, I laughed way too hard at that.

Really? I had a harder problem with the minions then the spider.

Blast it with lightning until it falls over and then wacked on it with my axe though I guess you were supposed to electrify when it fell over as well?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

The giant metal spider

Blast it with lightning until it falls over and then wacked on it with my axe though I guess you were supposed to electrify when it fell over as well?

What I did:
    It kind of jerks itself up, then stands still, that's when I hit it with electricity. I then whack it a few times. The hard part is when it sends in the medium size spiders. I can seem to kill them fast enough or keep them off me before I die thru the second wave.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone else feel like they have no idea what's going on during the battles? I feel like the AI must be doing all the work, because I (mid-game spoiler about Eddie)
    fly around some, issue a "go over there!" order, land, attack some baddies,
    and suddenly the "BRUTAL VICTORY" screen comes up. It seems like I ought to be employing some sort of strategy--sending certain units against units that they're strong against, or ordering some units to defend one place while ordering other units to attack somewhere else--but I'm not sure how to be that precise.

Will this complete befuddlement get me in trouble later in the game, or does the entire campaign go like this?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Drowning Doom are pretty neat in multiplayer. I love the Ratgut.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like they have no idea what's going on during the battles? I feel like the AI must be doing all the work, because I (mid-game spoiler about Eddie)
    fly around some, issue a "go over there!" order, land, attack some baddies,
    and suddenly the "BRUTAL VICTORY" screen comes up. It seems like I ought to be employing some sort of strategy--sending certain units against units that they're strong against, or ordering some units to defend one place while ordering other units to attack somewhere else--but I'm not sure how to be that precise.

Will this complete befuddlement get me in trouble later in the game, or does the entire campaign go like this?

If you catch the opponent with their pants down, yes you can win easily. Any and all units are capable of sacking the base.

In Single Player, I have a very bad habit of spamming Rally Cry out of laziness, moving my entire army from place to place, wiping everything out. If a structure is under attack, I save Face Melter for that. I fly over and cast it before the AI can react. That will NOT fly in multiplayer.

Cantido on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

oops

sooooo...
    who is it?

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    McCly wrote: »

oops

sooooo...
    who is it?

It's contains in spoilers in the OP. Hush.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Meh, they actually give away that spoiler in a preview or in an interview with schafer or something.

To the point where I don't even really consider it a spoiler.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Meh, they actually give away that spoiler in a preview or in an interview with schafer or something.

Me neither, but I'm playing the story, and it's the result of something really depressing.

Cantido on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, has anyone managed to burn through this game yet? How long would you say that it took you?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah I saw it being spoiled but because no one pointed out that it was a spoiler I did not connect the dots and ended up being surprised in the game.

Thumbs up to my poor situational awareness.

Hoz on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So, has anyone managed to burn through this game yet? How long would you say that it took you?

I beat it last night. Picked it up at like 11am and only left to go to class from 5:30 to 8:30, so that means what? I did it in 8 and a half hours.

Note that I was doing most of the side quests that were presented to me, until about half way through the game (a bridge was involved). After that I was trying to use the story to progress myself through the map, instead of just exploring, and I sort of got myself caught up in the ending. Not to say it came out of no where, I just figured that, "well, I'm this close, might as well go all the way."

Also, note that I happen to be an above average gamer*, when it comes to things like this. I played on Brutal difficulty, and only died once during the final RTS section, of the entire game. Other than that, the only "deaths" I had were failing some of the racing sidequests.

*It is really hard to say that without trying to sound like a cocky asshole.

Note that I didn't have too many of the exploratory things done either, only got like 22 dragons freed, and 2 songs. I'll be finished up those throughout the next week or so.

The premise of the RTS might actually keep me around, which is surprising as I've been playing strictly Rock band and Halo 3 primarily for my multiplayer enjoyment for well over a year.

TL;DR - It will probably last you between 10 and 12 hours, depending on how heavy you get into some of the side quests.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kor wrote: »

I beat it last night. Picked it up at like 11am and only left to go to class from 5:30 to 8:30, so that means what? I did it in 8 and a half hours.

Note that I was doing most of the side quests that were presented to me, until about half way through the game (a bridge was involved). After that I was trying to use the story to progress myself through the map, instead of just exploring, and I sort of got myself caught up in the ending. Not to say it came out of no where, I just figured that, "well, I'm this close, might as well go all the way."

Also, note that I happen to be an above average gamer*, when it comes to things like this. I played on Brutal difficulty, and only died once during the final RTS section, of the entire game. Other than that, the only "deaths" I had were failing some of the racing sidequests.

Note that I didn't have too many of the exploratory things done either, only got like 22 dragons freed, and 2 songs. I'll be finished up those throughout the next week or so.

The premise of the RTS might actually keep me around, which is surprising as I've been playing strictly Rock band and Halo 3 primarily for my multiplayer enjoyment for well over a year.

TL;DR - It will probably last you between 10 and 12 hours, depending on how heavy you get into some of the side quests.

I'll join you in multiplayer when I'm done with the campaign as well.

I will fuck you up though. Just sayin' :P

Cantido on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

I'll join you in multiplayer when I'm done with the campaign as well.

I will fuck you up though. Just sayin' :P

Probably will. When it comes to competitve RTS games, I seem to take a long time before I finally develop a strategy.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's cool, dude. It's not the kind of boast that one says in an attempt to get laid. :lol:

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I need to find more tracks! More! I want them all! I want Dimmu Borgir!

Zero tolerance must be issued forth!
    Behind the enemies lines....
    So it shall be written AnD sO iT sHaLl Be DoNe!

Cantido on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-hsa1a7kyM

Just the song since the video is Very NSFW.

God I love Vortex's voice. Not sure the band is going to be the same without him.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    stiillstiill Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    DIt seems like I ought to be employing some sort of strategy--sending certain units against units that they're strong against, or ordering some units to defend one place while ordering other units to attack somewhere else--but I'm not sure how to be that precise.

You can tear through single player without ever splitting your army. Just keep making dudes, teching up, making more dudes, keeping them together, and winning battles. And use the double teams and solos a lot-- sitting there hacking away with your axe is usually a lot less useful than firing a ballista or setting shit on fire with a fire beast.

If you just summon the rally flag, run around with it on your back, and tell all your dudes to follow you, it's probably good enough.

stiill on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-hsa1a7kyM

Just the song since the video is Very NSFW.

God I love Vortex's voice. Not sure the band is going to be the same without him.

Well the orchestra is what sucked me in. I thought it was a Castlevania song when I heard it. I bought the album immediately, just for the song. Track 7 is amazing too. Not enough for me to like the band's other works though. I got the album Puritanical Euphoric... It just doesn't compare, and the track Burn in Hell is like the polar opposite, and might as well be a Dethklok song. I really like The Apostacy though.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They're not my favorite band nor really close to, but I'll listen to them. Death Cult Armageddon and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia are the only two albums I own as well. I'm really sad to hear about about Vortex's departure from the band though, because not only was he a great bassist but he has a beautiful voice and I love clean vocals in metal. I love bands that transition between both styles. This is a band I recently discovered and love their style -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvf2UMk4AA

Zerokku on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heh. It wasn't until the final stage battle that I figured out that I could upgrade my units. I just kept spawning more and more as my guys died. (The Rockcrusher double team is fuckawesome).

So which Axe/Strings combo did everyone rock the most? I probably should have upgraded to the Souldrinker but stuck with my Lightning axe and Shredder.

Vray on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

The giant metal spider

What I did:
    It kind of jerks itself up, then stands still, that's when I hit it with electricity. I then whack it a few times. The hard part is when it sends in the medium size spiders. I can seem to kill them fast enough or keep them off me before I die thru the second wave.

Three words for your problem
    FACE...MELTING...SOLO!
    It will kill all the spiders in one go

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man, I cannot beat a normal computer in multi. Just kicks my ass. D:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    Heh. It wasn't until the final stage battle that I figured out that I could upgrade my units. I just kept spawning more and more as my guys died. (The Rockcrusher double team is fuckawesome).

What!?! You can upgrade?

I must know how o_O

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Oh man, I cannot beat a normal computer in multi. Just kicks my ass. D:

I played 2v2 match with a friend against a pair of Normal AIs and they just completely buttfucked us. I have no idea what that computer is doing but I can only imagine how rapetastic it is on Brutal. D:

Edit: You should see the option to upgrade a unit in the recruitment menu after you upgrade your stage a time or two.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If the band I'm thinking of is in this,
    (Metalocalypse)
    I'm about to buy the hell out of this game RIGHT NOW.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vray wrote: »

What!?! You can upgrade?

I must know how o_O

Using PS3 button terminology:

Once you've upgraded your stage (can't remember if it's level 2 or 3) you can upgrade your units by holding down R1 selecting the unit you want to upgrade on the wheel then pressing triangle (instead of X which spawns them).

McCly wrote: »
    If the band I'm thinking of is in this,
    (Metalocalypse)
    I'm about to buy the hell out of this game RIGHT NOW.

I don't remember finding it yet but in the credits I saw

Dethklok: Mermaider

Vray on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the only character reference I haven't picked up on yet is Lars. A friend of mine suggested Lars might supposed to be Brett Micheals of Poison fame, but he didn't have much conviction in that belief.

Any ideas?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I bought this yesterday and fully endorse the thread title. This game is a huge slice of awesome. Hell, I played it for about 2 hours without even realising I was playing it that long, and no game in the past few years has done that. I always get frustrated, bored, or annoyed at something. I just played this, giggling like a little girl at the Metal jokes, getting lost in the mythology (finding the stones that give you the history of the world is an awesome touch) and having fun with the combat and RTS gameplay.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dethklok: Mermaider <---- this song is so close to being great, but it just takes too long to get going >.<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really think that the quality of the presentation of this game is what makes it so delightful. I think that if you have a general enjoyment of music, and a general appreciation of comedy, then this game will be enjoyable and well worth your money.

I feel like if I were going to try to introduce someone into the wonderful world of metal, this game would be the first textbook. In fact, there are many facets of metal that I never really even considered the idea that I could enjoy them, but through hearing them come up in the deuce and during other parts of gameplay I've found myself looking into more music of that sub-genre.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man oh man, I didn't even realise the game will be out tomorrow in Germany.

I fear I won't really be able to afford new titles during the coming years so this will be it. I will play this game so goddamn hard!

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the only character reference I haven't picked up on yet is Lars. A friend of mine suggested Lars might supposed to be Brett Micheals of Poison fame, but he didn't have much conviction in that belief.

Any ideas?

When I first saw the guy (and didn't see any of the preview stuff) I got a classic Robert Plant vibe from the looks.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    God damn this side quest is brutal. Can't manage to find a way to get the beer kegs to the beach.

Zerokku on