As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brutal Legend: Buy it, it's awesome.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The game world isn't small. . .but it also isn't "large". And theres really no reason to explore the game world other than to complete side missions, as you are being shuffled from one zone to the next. Hell I think I had to spend 10 minutes tops in the Drowning Pool area.

That said, an overall 7.5-8/10 is just about right. If we were going on narrative presentation alone, it would score higher for me. It's a good game. Not a great game, not a bad game - a good game worth the rental, or the dollars if you like this style of game.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly though, I'm getting this game entirely for the setting. I don't really care if the gameplay is average, since average can still be fun.

I'm sure most of the audience it's aiming for feels about the same.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i'm really enjoying the game. driving around, listening to a really good metal soundtrack, in a fun to look at world is awesome.

melee combat gets a little dicey, but i think a lot of that is my natural inclination to pound the x button which locks out the guitar attacks for the cooldown (in other words, not because of what it does in the game, but because that's my personal button masher of choice...). there are also strategies involved in using your units in combat effectively that i haven't totally figured out yet, and there are strategies to killing enemy units on my own that i haven't totally figured out yet.
    with Lionwhyte's armies, his version of the ranged girls mess me up the most. i generally fear the ranged attacks the most, but charging in and earthshaker-ing them just spreads them out and i'm still getting attacked by everything.

i've been using the tenacious d guitar and the electricity axe, but i'm wondering if i should switch around to something else? anyone have any comments?

the RTS controls actually have a lot of depth from what i've seen, i just don't have them figured out yet. (i haven't tried multiplayer yet, either.) some of the on screen instructions don't always seem to be there on screen. am i doing something wrong, or should i have memorized them by now? (for those that know the plot, i turned the game off last night after failing the first battle of the second faction you meet.)

really, i'm enjoying the game a lot, but there are aspects of it that are really new to me on a console, so i feel like i have stuff to learn.

i played about 5 hours last night, running around looking at stuff and doing enough main storyline stuff to get to the 2nd faction. i'm playing on normal, and the difficulty has ramped up as the game goes on. i'm curious what it's going to continue on to...

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    with Lionwhyte's armies, his version of the ranged girls mess me up the most. i generally fear the ranged attacks the most, but charging in and earthshaker-ing them just spreads them out and i'm still getting attacked by everything.

The Deuce is available to you in Stage Battles. Make squishies.

Also, in large groups of infantry, cast Face Melter to wipe them out quickly. Very handy, but it takes a while to recharge.

I hate archers in all video games.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    So those curious, the Brutal Legend world map:
    http://www.achievementhunter.com/games/guides/brutallegend/index.html

Allegedly 64 km^2. Basically, it will take a few minutes to get from the northern extreme to the southern. Not sure if it is eight minutes of time, though.
    Two islands? Interesting.

Anyone get ripped off by Gamestop on their damned preorder bonus? They ran out and I got gypped.

The EB where I preordered didn't even receive their bonuses. Seriously, wtf. Why wouldn't they just package them in the box like they did with Batman? I have a feeling that by the time they actually get the preorder bonus codes in, I'll have beaten the game.

Because part of the preorder bonus was a code to download the demo early. Which wouldn't do you much good inside the retail box.

Houn on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Allegedly 64 km^2. Basically, it will take a few minutes to get from the northern extreme to the southern. Not sure if it is eight minutes of time, though.

Anyone get ripped off by Gamestop on their damned preorder bonus? They ran out and I got gypped.

The EB where I preordered didn't even receive their bonuses. Seriously, wtf. Why wouldn't they just package them in the box like they did with Batman? I have a feeling that by the time they actually get the preorder bonus codes in, I'll have beaten the game.

Because part of the preorder bonus was a code to download the demo early. Which wouldn't do you much good inside the retail box.

That would make sense if the preorder bonus for downloading the demo was also the Tenacious D guitar code. They could still have packaged in the second code with the disc.

Also, I should mention that my early demo code didn't fucking work. I really got screwed by EB this time around. If my buddy didn't work there, I would stop giving them my business.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Damn. I have a ways to go according to that map.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've got to say, I'm enjoying this. The gameplay is a tad repetitive, but I don't really mind. I like the open-world exploring, the setting, and just the creativity that goes into it all. Combat can likely be a bit more deep than the few attacks I'm using, but I don't really mind. And the RTSing is a bit dicey, but I'm still early on.

My only complaint so far is that the music, although great, changes every time I hop out of the Deuce to do something (like a vista, or a relic raise), the song changes. And sometimes a dude just wants to listen to Children of the Grave.

Incidentally (extremely mild cameo spoiler):
    What the hell? OZZY is fucking coherent! That goes against everything I know to be true! Though the cameos are top-notch, and the avatars for people like Ozzy and Lemmy are spot-on. Their mannerisms are really well mapped to the dialogue and voice acting. A treat to watch.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am so pissed off right now... I went through a crazy storm (10 inches of rain in 12 hours) to pick up my pre-order yesterday, then return home to find the power out. Power comes back up just as I'm drifting off asleep about midnight, so I bolt awake and start playing.

I get to where the demo ended, and the power dies again. And I've got a date tonight, so I won't be able to start playing until tomorrow.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I am so pissed off right now... I went through a crazy storm (10 inches of rain in 12 hours) to pick up my pre-order yesterday, then return home to find the power out. Power comes back up just as I'm drifting off asleep about midnight, so I bolt awake and start playing.

I get to where the demo ended, and the power dies again. And I've got a date tonight, so I won't be able to start playing until tomorrow.

Why isn't your date playing Brutal Legend? If she doesn't like it, you know it's not gonna work out, and if she does, well, she's already over. :winky:

I've totally just been listening to the soundtrack all day so far. Time to grow a muttonstache and open a really seedy record store.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I picked up my copy last night but didn't get to play it; haven't even opened it up yet. Did anyone else grab it at Best Buy for the Rock Band 2 DLC code? Is it just a regular Xbox Marketplace code you type into the Dashboard, or does it involve a third-party website?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That would make sense if the preorder bonus for downloading the demo was also the Tenacious D guitar code. They could still have packaged in the second code with the disc.

Also, I should mention that my early demo code didn't fucking work. I really got screwed by EB this time around. If my buddy didn't work there, I would stop giving them my business.

Which is cheaper?

1. Shipping cards to select retailers
    2. Stuffing some boxes with card, then ensuring those only go to select retailers

Houn on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Probably has to do with allocating copies amongst retailers. If they package the codes in the box, and it's GS exclusive, then all of those specific copies MUST go to GS.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not going to argue against what is cheaper... because simply printing out some cards is definitely the cheapest solution. I'm just a jaded consumer. I don't care what's cheaper, I expect my preorder bonus to be available the day the game releases.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not going to argue against what is cheaper... because simply printing out some cards is definitely the cheapest solution. I'm just a jaded consumer. I don't care what's cheaper, I expect my preorder bonus to be available the day the game releases.

and that's fine, you SHOULD feel upset, and you ought to demand that the send you a code (or have a guy at another store read one to you over the phone, or something)

you asked "why", though, so you got an answer.

Evander on
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

The Deuce is available to you in Stage Battles. Make squishies.

Also, in large groups of infantry, cast Face Melter to wipe them out quickly. Very handy, but it takes a while to recharge.

I hate archers in all video games.

i had no idea i could bust out the Druid Plow...i must just be blind when i look at the solo menu...i'l give that a try.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So far it's a good game.
    I wish the "Ambush" sidequests had a bit more variety dialoge wise though.
    The RTS stuff is a bit iffy on me.
    So far I've won and I had no idea what the fuck I was doing other than "Attack there!" shit goes shit crazy and boom, win.
    Still fun though, even though the humor is starting to wear down a bit where I am in the game.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Played it for about 3 hours last night and all I can say is it was fun. The setting and style is more than enough to keep me interested and playing. My favorite thing so far was one of the abilities I got.
    You can get a guitar solo that literally melts faces.

That is fucking metal.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm not so great at the RTS stuff. I got my ass kicked a whole shit load on the first arctic mission.
    Any tips? I went into multiplayer and tooled around against the computer for a bit, but I still suck :P
    Also, one of the paint jobs for the Druid Plow is totally a reference to Grim Fandango. Which is awesome.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm loving the soundtrack, though I too am a bit dissapointed when a rocking song is on and I hop out to free a dragon (and jesus did I feel dumb I thought I had to get an ability to free those guys so I passed up a bunch originally) or check out a point I'd lose a cool song.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Played it for about 3 hours last night and all I can say is it was fun. The setting and style is more than enough to keep me interested and playing. My favorite thing so far was one of the abilities I got.
    You can get a guitar solo that literally melts faces.

That is fucking metal.

It gets better.
    Later you can ride a PANTHER that shoots LASERS out of its EYES.

All caps because it's AWESOME.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm loving the soundtrack, though I too am a bit dissapointed when a rocking song is on and I hop out to free a dragon (and jesus did I feel dumb I thought I had to get an ability to free those guys so I passed up a bunch originally) or check out a point I'd lose a cool song.

What, you can just use the Relic Raiser on them? Dammit!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Not even that. Just hit them with a pyro from your guitar.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I got the Coolest Thing Ever achievement. I wasn't expecting that one. :P

Rizzi on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Ok...until I read your post I thought I needed to get an ability as well. How the hell do you free them? Edit: Answered above.

Also, I've only gotten to the first stage battle, but it annoys me that Leo can go through and wipe out my troops, but I can't do crap to him. Part of it is that I suck at that part so far, I'm hoping I get the hang of it later on.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Ok...until I read your post I thought I needed to get an ability as well. How the hell do you free them? Edit: Answered above.

Also, I've only gotten to the first stage battle, but it annoys me that Leo can go through and wipe out my troops, but I can't do crap to him. Part of it is that I suck at that part so far, I'm hoping I get the hang of it later on.

Someone else said it, but just do a charged guitar attack.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have a hard time figuring out how to make my minions actually do things.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Did you guys just accidentally do this, or is it documented somewhere in the game?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think it says it in the manual.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Did you guys just accidentally do this, or is it documented somewhere in the game?

Accidentally discovered it, I don't read manuals ITS NOT METAL!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I almost like that about the game. It doesn't hold your hand, you have to figure your things out yourself.

It took me couple minutes to figure out what to do against
    The giant metal spider
    But it was pretty easy as soon as I figured out what to do. Also, the whole "Thick as a baby's arm" bit, I laughed way too hard at that.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I think it says it in the manual.

Pfffbbb! Who reads the manual?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Son of a bitch...I've passed up dozens of those.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »

That's where I was at. And for every 10 you free you get something.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »

Same. I've been doing a lot of exploring though. Only on like the third story mission, so it's going to take me ages to finish this game now. I got a lot of serpents to free.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so those interested,
    If Gamestop fucked you over on Pre-order bonuses, LET THEM KNOW!

customerservice@gamestop.com

Tell them what you pre-ordered, when, and such. Let them know that you never got the preorder bonus because they ran out. Let them know that it pissed you off and will likely influence your future purchases (well, say this only if it will do that). Hopefully, this may motivate them to ship more out quickly. More importantly, it might encourage them to revise their methods.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The more I'm seeing the reviews, the more I think this is a game mostly for fans of metal. If you don't like metal and/or the culture with it, you're not going to enjoy it, or understand a lot of the humor.

It's like the Watchmen movie. Great movie, but when it comes down to it, it was for the fans, not for the masses.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so those interested,
    If Gamestop fucked you over on Pre-order bonuses, LET THEM KNOW!

customerservice@gamestop.com

Tell them what you pre-ordered, when, and such. Let them know that you never got the preorder bonus because they ran out. Let them know that it pissed you off and will likely influence your future purchases (well, say this only if it will do that). Hopefully, this may motivate them to ship more out quickly. More importantly, it might encourage them to revise their methods.

Does the unlocked guitar add any stat bonuses? I got my code, unlocked the guitar, but I didn't notice a difference from the original guitar other than look.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    The more I'm seeing the reviews, the more I think this is a game mostly for fans of metal. If you don't like metal and/or the culture with it, you're not going to enjoy it, or understand a lot of the humor.

It's like the Watchmen movie. Great movie, but when it comes down to it, it was for the fans, not for the masses.

I'm not a massive metal fan, listen to some bands... mostly that fantasy speed metal geek shit. So I don't know if that even counts. Yet this game still appeals to me greatly.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think that's because it's fun.

Rizzi on