As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got a PS3 -- Now What?

• Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    GET Valkyria Chronicles OR I WILL CUT YOU

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

GET IT NOW

Fixed

ITS DONE, ITS DONE

Uncharted 1, Valkyria Chronicles, Ratchet & Clank: ToD, Disgaea 3, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, and God of War 1 & 2 combo pack all bought'd. I am one broke motherfucker, and Xmas is right around the corner... haha

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    great but you don't have uncharted 2 D:

useless4 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    useless4 wrote: »
    great but you don't have uncharted 2 D:

Give him time. Buying all the good games at once isn't the best idea - there's nothing to move onto.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hillean wrote: »
    Uncharted 1, Valkyria Chronicles, Ratchet & Clank: ToD, Disgaea 3, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, and God of War 1 & 2 combo pack all bought'd. I am one broke motherfucker, and Xmas is right around the corner... haha

I think you did it right - aside from LBP and perhaps inFamous, all of those titles are in the "budget" category - real, real good shit that's come down in price.

I too had a super splurge recently, leaving me with a glut of awesome. Short version:
    Heavenly Sword, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3, Dragon Age: Origins Special Edition, Brutal Legend, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed II.
    Two of the games I'd already played / platinum'd, but it certainly left me with a lot to play and a little guilt.

On the bright side my new job has enabled me to spend about twice as much on my fam for Christmas, so I'm feeling quite pleased all 'round.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    Hillean wrote: »

I think you did it right - aside from LBP and perhaps inFamous, all of those titles are in the "budget" category - real, real good shit that's come down in price.

LBP I will end up getting (with GoW 1 & 2 combo) from the Black Friday deal at GameStop (store manager has one set up for me, fuck waiting in line), and Infamous I got from Goozex by swapping out my Xbox 360 Brutal Legend.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hope I don't derail the thread here.

I jut bought a slim PS3 and have been playing with themes and the like, however it seems I have to download them with the PS3 browser. I tried plugging in my USB drive to transfer a few themes I wanted to check out, but it wouldn't recognize them. A quick google search didn't come up with anything I could see, so maybe someone out there knows?

Also, my vote goes for getting Ninja Gaiden 2. So much pretty fighting! (Next up I'm getting FF13 when it comes out, and will promptly never leave my room)

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm still really undecided on LBP actually. I might get it but there is something about the game that never really appealed to me much.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I'm still really undecided on LBP actually. I might get it but there is something about the game that never really appealed to me much.

I bought the GOTY edition and I'm with you. Quite possibly one of the most overrated games to come out in the past 5 years. It might be different if I could actually design a level but I don't really have that kind of time.

I might have to give it another shot in a few months and maybe something will click then.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I hope I don't derail the thread here.

I jut bought a slim PS3 and have been playing with themes and the like, however it seems I have to download them with the PS3 browser. I tried plugging in my USB drive to transfer a few themes I wanted to check out, but it wouldn't recognize them. A quick google search didn't come up with anything I could see, so maybe someone out there knows?

Actually it's... a little weird. Lemmie 'splain:

I don't know about themes in particular, but I know you can't transfer movies / MP3s / images to the PS3 if you just pop them on a USB drive and stick it into the system.

If you want to copy a movie, first you have to copy a movie file (any trailer from the PSN store will do) onto the USB drive you want to use. This creates a "Video" folder on the drive, and THEN the PS3 will recognize video files that are placed in that folder.

Works the same for images and MP3s. The PS3 has to make a folder it recognizes in order to read data put on the USB.

The folders don't work across types, though. If you make a Video folder on the PS3 and put MP3s in it, the PS3 won't be able to read them. You have to copy a song from the system onto the USB to make a Music folder.

So yeah, it's weird. And unfortunately doesn't answer your specific question - I have no idea how to make a Theme folder. Perhaps there's a way to copy them to a thumb drive.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I made a PS3/THEME folder and it didn't work. Maybe it just needs to be a /THEME folder then?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So far I just like the presentation of the game. Stephen Fry could read me the phone book. I was wondering why the style seemed so familiar when I started, and I realized it was a mix between the Hitchhiker's movie (narrated by Stephen Fry) and a Wes Anderson film.

edit: You people might want to try hitting Triangle. I don't have anything in folders but Triangle lets me find my stuff.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Using Triangle for themes? You have to install them via the Settings menu, right? I don't see how using Triangle is going to help with that.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Using Triangle for themes? You have to install them via the Settings menu, right? I don't see how using Triangle is going to help with that.

I was talking about USB drives, but you have a point. I'm not too familiar with PS3 themes.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    oh yesh, since you have a ps3 that means you have a good control pad! So if you like fighting games, theres heaps to choose from :D

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I made a PS3/THEME folder and it didn't work. Maybe it just needs to be a /THEME folder then?

Are you sure you're doing it properly? All the themes should be in the \PS3\THEME folder and their format should be p3t (if they're ppt then they're PSP themes and obviously, will never work on the PS3). Then you plug you USB stick into your PS3, go to the Theme Settings, go to Theme, then Install and then select your USB stick.

Also, a tip for people that have problems downloading PS3 updates because they take forever. Download them off the PS website, put the update on a USB stick in the \PS3\UPDATE folder and then select Update via Storage Media on your PS3. It's so much faster.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Are you sure you're doing it properly? All the themes should be in the \PS3\THEME folder and their format should be p3t (if they're ppt then they're PSP themes and obviously, will never work on the PS3). Then you plug you USB stick into your PS3, go to the Theme Settings, go to Theme, then Install and then select your USB stick.

Also, a tip for people that have problems downloading PS3 updates because they take forever. Download them off the PS website, put the update on a USB stick in the \PS3\UPDATE folder and then select Update via Storage Media on your PS3. It's so much faster.

Yep, I copied all of my data on the USB drive off, and made a PS3 folder, then a THEME folder, and dumped in a few .p3t files I downloaded off the 'net. Wouldn't recognize it. *shrug*

Speaking of fighting games, there's BlazBlue! I need to get that sometime...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does the Playstation3 play older Playstation 2 and the original Playstation games. i want to buy ps3 for my kids to this Christmas.

All playstation 3 systems will run PS1 games.

With regards to PS2 games, it gets a bit complicated. If you're buying a new system, then the short answer is no, it will not run any PS2 games.

If you're buying a used system, then certain models have full backwards compatibility (where the PS3 system basically contains all the guts of the PS2 system and runs all PS2 software without exception), some models have "software" backwards compatibility (where most of the PS2 hardware is in the system, but some of it is emulated... leading to a couple cases where the backwards compatibility is spotty), and some models have no backwards compatibility.

The model comparison chart on wikipedia can shed light on which versions of the console have which capabilities. The console models listed under 1st generation have hardware PS2 backwards compatibility, 2nd generation has software PS2 backwards compatibility. Beyond that, all PS2 backwards compatibility is removed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does the Playstation3 play older Playstation 2 and the original Playstation games. i want to buy ps3 for my kids to this Christmas.

I believe all PS3's can play PS1 games.

None of them, except for a few models, play PS2 games. None of the ones currently in production, including the new slim $299 PS3 do.

In the US at least, the launch PS3's (20 & 60GB) had PS2 hardware in them as well, so they play every PS2 game.

Some but not all of the 80GB PS3's (I believe only the ones that shipped in the MGS4 and Motorstorm tie-in packs) have software based backwards compatibility that plays most but not all PS2 games, with mixed results.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I kept my PS2 just in case of this, I hadn't realized the PS3's removed backwards compatibility. I'm not completely surprised, removing extra parts = better chance of a price drop

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like that PS3's enable you to play any of your PS1 games with your PSP. I only tried Resident Evil 2, though.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tsk, they only reason why they removed the BC was because the PS2 games were outselling the PS3 games.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The PS3 is revving up, and I'm not sure that it's a good thing. Idiosyncratic, bottlenecked hardware finds its way in.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Totally jumped on the PS3 Deal from Amazon, also got roped into buying MGS4 since it was on sale at the same time. Now hoping for a deal on Uncharted 2 (and Uncharted 1 for that matter).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    -god of war collection
    -Uncharted 1 and 2
    -MGS4
    -Demon's Souls
    -NGSigma 1 or 2, or both
    -LittleBigPlanet

those are some excellent exclusives to start with.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Amazon Black Friday deal just started on Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - currently $15.98, 18% claimed already.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    Amazon Black Friday deal just started on Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - currently $15.98, 18% claimed already.

It's going fast, too bad though, I was hoping for the new R&C, Crack In Time? I think.

Drakeon on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    now I just need to figure otu how to get my password fixed for PSN, I forgot it :/

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, figured I'd give everyone a heads up, Amazon has Uncharted 2 for $40 today, so might want to jump on that if you're a new PS3 owner (I know I did).

Drakeon on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    now I just need to figure otu how to get my password fixed for PSN, I forgot it :/

Just go to the official Playstation webpage (http://www.us.playstation.com/) and log in there, and choose the 'I forgot my password' option there. It's the same PSN login that you used on your PS3, and should get it for you.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just finished Uncharted 2, great game but I'll probably Goozex it once I get sick of the multiplayer. I'm tempted to get Infamous, LBP and maybe Uncharted 1, but I'm not completely sold on any of them.

Infamous - Fun demo but I didn't really care for the bad guys, and moves were already starting to feel a little repetitive. Does this change significantly in the full game?

LBP - One of the games that made me want a PS3 way back when, but upon further inspection there's just a jump button and directional movement. I don't really have a creative bone in my body, so I will only be utilizing sets that other people make.

Uncharted 1 - I hear a lot of good things about it, up until mythical creatures start showing up. Will probably get it if I can find it really cheap.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    Izanagi-OkamiIzanagi-Okami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like that PS3's enable you to play any of your PS1 games with your PSP. I only tried Resident Evil 2, though.

Wait, what?! How? I've never heard this.

Does this mean I can play Suikoden 2 on the bus?

Izanagi-Okami on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can only do it via Remote Play, and only if you are near an access point for internet (and have your PS3 online). I've only tried it with my friends PSP and PS3 with Resident Evil 2; playing RE2 on the PSP, though.

Here's the wiki page for the PSP remote play feature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can do it with custom firmware on the PSP, too.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Awww so when I buy a PS1 game off the PSN, on which it says "PS3/PSP", the only way to (legitimately) play it on a PSP is via remote play?

That's bunk!

Chance on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Awww so when I buy a PS1 game off the PSN, on which it says "PS3/PSP", the only way to (legitimately) play it on a PSP is via remote play?

That's bunk!

Nope. The ones you buy on the store can be stored on a PS3 and PSP and be played on both as well. But if you own a PS1 game that isn't on the store, you can play it through Remote Play if it's in the PS3.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh that relieves me much.

I'm hoping to get a PSP in 2010 - probably a Go if Valkyria Chronicles 2 gets a PSN release. :^: ty sir.

Chance on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh that relieves me much.

I'm hoping to get a PSP in 2010 - probably a Go if Valkyria Chronicles 2 gets a PSN release. :^: ty sir.
    Don't get a Go, dudes (KH BbS is more than likely not coming out over PSN)

Plus, there's nothing a Go can do that a PSP-3000 can't do. I mean, a PSP-3000 is a Go with more capabilities

This fourth time around I'm actually sorta digging this PSP thing, anyways- let's see if it lasts

Also, re: VC 2 release over PSN: I don't see why they wouldn't, except maybe if they decide to do that rumored "upport" to PS3 and decide not to cut into potential sales/create confusion with two completely different versions of VC2 over PSN (assuming they release it over PSN, natch)

Rent on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Resurrecting because I am now new to the PS3 market, thanks to JAEF from Secret Santaing.

First thing first, my audio crackles on Infamous, but there is no option to turn it down, as there was in Killzone 2, which had the same problem. I'm using my TV's speakers, so that could be a problem, but I don't have a receiver or anything yet.

Also, ADD ME ON PSN! My name is Icemopper.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Plus, there's nothing a Go can do that a PSP-3000 can't do. I mean, a PSP-3000 is a Go with more capabilities

Except bluetooth connectivity.

I know, I know, it's pretty worthless. Just playing devils advocate.

-Loki- on