As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Red Faction blind - Set 2 IT'S A TRAM

surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloveddreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Red Faction, where Communists run wild

red_faction_front-geileresel.jpg

Merciless wikipedia quotation:
Red Faction is a first-person shooter video game that was released in 2001 for the PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows, and Macintosh by THQ and Volition. A version for the Nokia N-Gage was developed by Monkeystone Games. The game was also re-developed as a top-down shooter for the mobile phone.[1]

Red Faction takes place on Mars in the late 21st century. The player controls a miner named Parker who helps lead a rebellion against the Ultor Corporation. The premiere feature of the game is its "Geo-Mod" technology, short for "geometry modification", which provided destructible environments, allowing the player to destroy certain sections of the scenery in the game. For example, instead of opening a door, a player could blast through the rock surrounding the door.[2]

Sadly my computer is choking on actually good games at the moment, so Tomb Raider Underworld has been put in hiatus AGAIN.

BUT!

I bought the THQ pack for a mere 26 pounds, so I thought why not play a few oldies I haven't played before. So here is me blundering my way through red faction. Enjoy as I fail to spot obvious explosion spots and run into traps.

Set 1 - Graffiti ignorer extraordinaire

Set 2 - IT'S A TRAM - background sound not so loud

obF2Wuw.png
surrealitycheck on

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Your first link is messed up. Oh and have fun with the forced stealth section. hehehe.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah the stealth section is a pain in the butt.

Regarding the geomoding, a good rule of thumb is that concrete and rock can be blown up while metal and interactive stuff can't.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In an odd bit of coincdence I finished this (for the 80 millionth time) this morning, I won't ruin the rest but you're in for quite the ride.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spoiler tags fixed yay

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SkellieSkellie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh this brings back memories. I think this was the first game I played that didn't have distinct levels or missions, and so there was no check for me to take a break and come back to it the next day. Instead I just played for hours at a time.

Skellie on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Now your first vid isn't working.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just played it on youtube, seems fine :o

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's weird, it's giving me an error. I'll just watch the others I guess.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Try switching quality to and from hq. Sometimes that helps.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Got it to work, watched the first set.

Silencer, eh it does its job but it's not really needed at all.
    Flamethrowers alt requires other tanks (he pulls the current tank off and throws it like a grenade, best to use 90% of a tank then throw it)
    Shotguns main fires two shells.

Oh and don't worry about helpful NPCs 90% die when you meet em or like the friendly gentlemen that exploded in the first section, die after a trigger.

And you can use some turrets (like the one you blew up at the start of section 2)

You can open some crates too, it looks like someone didn't play the tutorial.

Set 2 Part 3 you missed an early sniper rifle.

And you don't have to destroy cameras

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sweet! I also picked this up after watching the first set. Keep up the good work, il be keeping up right behind you :P

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NATIK wrote: »
    Yeah the stealth section is a pain in the butt.

Regarding the geomoding, a good rule of thumb is that concrete and rock can be blown up while metal and interactive stuff can't.

I remember the stealth bit. I remember seeing a hint somewhere that said to not directly look at anyone, or they'd become suspicious. I did that whole section while looking at the floor.

Which realisticly would only raise more suspicion

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    While I'm sad that you're having problems with getting TR: Underworld to work properly, there is at least this to tide us over.

And I have to say that I'm disappointed with you.

Very, very disappointed.

There are certain things that a guy just doesn't do. Sort of like a list of rules, if you will. They're not written down or anything, it's just something you automatically know. And amongst those rules is that a guy does not shoot another guy in the back of the head while he's taking a leak.

Seriously though, it's a good start to what seems like an intriguing game. It'll be interesting to see where the story takes you. I'll keep my eyes open for the next part.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You can open some crates too, it looks like someone didn't play the tutorial.

Guilty as charged. Half the fun of a blind LP is watching somebody be totally clueless. At least what I've found, anyway.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played the hell out of this game back in the day.

Maybe I should dig my copy out and see how much I remember.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it possible to turn up dialogue volume a little? I'm sure I'm hardly missing massive amounts of plot, but it's quite quiet and it's hard to hear what they are saying.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is it possible to turn up dialogue volume a little? I'm sure I'm hardly missing massive amounts of plot, but it's quite quiet and it's hard to hear what they are saying.

Sure! I'll be doing another set this evening so should try and tweak that.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never seen Red Faction before, although I've wanted to play it for sometime. I throughly enjoyed the first set, got to start the second, and cannot wait for a third. Keep up the good work.

Also, in the first set, the mining equipment was hellishly loud. Just a note.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Sure! I'll be doing another set this evening so should try and tweak that.

New set! New set!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I -completely- missed this. I'll be looking forward to it, since I was pretty interested in the game back when it was out. I rented it for the PS2 and just played around with the MP (with bots) for pretty much 90% of the time, seeing what all I could blow up and how.

More LP from you is a good thing, though, sir. Too bad that your compy is giving you problems with Underworld.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had great fun for many hours with a rented Red Faction, a PS2 and a friend as well, we spent hours upon hours tunneling around the maps and sneak killing each other in hilarious ways, like I remember making a tunnel up above a corridor so that I had a small hole to peek down into it and then killing him as he passed.

Or how on a map with 2 fortresses opposing each other we dug long tunnels into the side walls and shot out the ramps leading up to the entrances and used railguns to try and kill each other from our homemade caves.

Multiplayer geomodding was amazingly fun.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    in the first set, yellow circles with x's are usually a good place to put some c4. Usually another room behind them with some goodies.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png