Options

So no flying cars in 2010, but...

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    I had a dumb phone for work at my old job and hated it. I have no particular desire to be accessible when I'm out of the house. It's part of the joy of being out of the house, in fact.

I might get an ipod touch at some point, though, because being able to look stuff up on wiki anyplace i can find unsecured wireless would come in pretty handy.

Yeah, that's basically how i feel.

we didn't even have an answering machine on our landline for a long time and only got one when we started applying for jobs. We have voip now but it gets maybe four calls a month, incoming/outgoing which is a lot more palatable at $15/month with primus than it was at $35/month with bell.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    my phone was free with my plan and my plan costs fifteen dollars a month because I pretty much never use my phone

but it is a really good thing to have in case of emergency

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited December 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love my blackjack II

GPS, internet(skyfire browser supports flash), nice solid keys, slim, good battery life

Weaver on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    One thing that struck me as really strangely low-tech and out of place recently

Public transport, and the manner in which sane men and women will stand outside in the rain (yeah nice going on the lack of shelters assholes) waiting for a vehicle without knowing its status

Where are the instant notifiers on my wrist computer and little tracking apps to see where it is and how long it will be

Here in Vancouver there's an Iphone app that does this for our buses/trains as well as a phone number you can text with the bus station number to get the next time it shows up!

It owns.

Google maps is synced up with trans-link, so you can just use google maps on your phone and it'll tell your all the transit routes and schedules from point A to B

Really? I think Google Maps doesn't work very well with the newer routes (It completely ignores the 99 B-line at least)

I just tried it and from UBC to Granville it gave me all the 99 B-lines times. I'm pretty sure it's using the exact same resource and the translink site, but is way easier to use and is faster. All you have to do is click your start and end locations, then select the transit tab. Maybe your google maps isn't up to date or something?
    wtf. i tried to route from UBC to YVR and it gives me like the 25 bus instead of the 99 to the City Hall Skytrain and then that to YVR

huh.

Just tried that on mine, gave me 99 to the 980 canada line. So uh, i dunno. Anyways, fuck yeah google maps. I was blown away when street view showed up on my phone

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Julius wrote: »
    I want a nicer phone, touch-screen and internet accessibility but I just don't talk enough to justify the purchase.

Me neither. I still call fucking prepaid. I call so little that a subscription is a bad choice.

fucked up, but my phone is dead now (been for three weeks. I haven't used a phone in three weeks!) so I might indulge and buy a cool one.

Yup, I used prepaid too. I do think I would take to texting if I had the option however. Mainly, I just want a smartphone for all the other cool stuff it does.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    I had a dumb phone for work at my old job and hated it. I have no particular desire to be accessible when I'm out of the house. It's part of the joy of being out of the house, in fact.

I might get an ipod touch at some point, though, because being able to look stuff up on wiki anyplace i can find unsecured wireless would come in pretty handy.

I was pretty much on the verge of doing this, but then realised for my usage paterns, I'd be much happier with a netbook.

Should arrive after Christmas.

A touch makes more sense for me because I have a laptop and tend to listen to music while i'm out and about, but I have considered netbooks as well.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

we didn't even have an answering machine on our landline for a long time and only got one when we started applying for jobs. We have voip now but it gets maybe four calls a month, incoming/outgoing which is a lot more palatable at $15/month with primus than it was at $35/month with bell.

When i lived on my own i had VOIP from Vonage or whatever, man that was terrible. It may have been the phone i was using but if i was using the internet, i could not have a coherent phone conversation. And forget about the voice mail, i got ever 3rd word if i was lucky.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

When i lived on my own i had VOIP from Vonage or whatever, man that was terrible. It may have been the phone i was using but if i was using the internet, i could not have a coherent phone conversation. And forget about the voice mail, i got ever 3rd word if i was lucky.

our internets are pretty reliable (dry loop dsl from a company other than bell) so we haven't had too much trouble with this. if i have a bunch of torrents going, it makes it hard to dial sometimes but it's good the rest of the time. i just put some limits on during regular phone calling hours and it has been gravy ever since.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I was on rogers at the time, it was years ago, I just remember being happy when i got rid of it.

Melding on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can be on my computer, order food, pay for it, and have it delivered to my doorstep in 15 minutes, without moving an inch, or needing to have any money on me.

However, I saw a hilarious ad for an online food-delivery aggregate website, that was all "order FOOD from your iPhone or Blackberry", and I was all, look, I get it, you have an app that lets one order food online using their smartphone, but ordering food from now only a small subset of phones is not some awesome new thing. I could order food from any phone for quite a while.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Random IntegerRandom Integer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    The biggest one of these moments I've had was actually this summer.

I was going to visit a friend in new york, and took a bus that had wi-fi on it.

So here I am, browsing the internet, in the middle of rural new york, cows flying past. Which is cool enough, right?

But then suddenly my sister calls me on Skype.

From Asia.

I'm on a bus, travelling 80mph in the middle of nowhere, and I get a call from my sister from the middle of fucking Cambodia or Thailand or some shit.

I was like are you fucking kidding me this is so fucking cool.

So yeah, future, we have arrived.

You know you're in the future when you've got flying cows.

Random Integer on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    saw this on the teevee last night.

lg-expo-picoprojector-smartphone2-7.jpg

cool beans says i.

(e- might help if i include more than a pic)

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

So here I am, browsing the internet, in the middle of rural new york, cows flying past. Which is cool enough, right?

From Asia.

I'm on a bus, travelling 80mph in the middle of nowhere, and I get a call from my sister from the middle of fucking Cambodia or Thailand or some shit.

1649.jpg

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    zimfan wrote: »

From Asia.

twister.jpg

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dammit, I was 10 minutes into typing up an update for the X-Com LP when my computer crashed.

Stupid flakey USB port.

The future sucks.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dammit, I was 10 minutes into typing up an update for the X-Com LP when my computer crashed.

Stupid flakey USB port.

The future sucks.

my laptop wouldn't POST properly the first four times I tried to start it this evening. Fortunately i have 32 days left in the warranty

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    detachable showerheads are pretty slick because you can wash your balls and your butthole pretty easily

take that future technology

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, we've had technology for balls and butthole washing for centuries.

'course, back then it was goats and dogs.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I want a nicer phone, touch-screen and internet accessibility but I just don't talk enough to justify the purchase.

I would use up every single one of your minutes.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2009
    Man, we've had technology for balls and butthole washing for centuries.

'course, back then it was goats and dogs.

pfft, isn't that still the technology in certain countries (*pointed look*)

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Get this.

Something we shot from Earth in a rocket is currently about 10.22 BILLION MILES AWAY and is going to LEAVE THE SOLAR SYSTEM SOON.

Hey what is this exactly? You got a link to hook a bro up with?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Remember how in 2007 there was no crime because of eugenics?

http://www.paleofuture.com/blog/2009/11/10/crime-will-no-longer-exist-in-2007-1907.html
    CRIME WILL NO LONGER EXIST

The repression of crime will largely be through preventive measures. With improved detective methods the chances of escape in any given case will be greatly diminished, the innocent will be rarely accused at all, and the punishments of the guilty will be of a reformatory character. In the meantime the study of mental science will have made great strides, and a great source of crime will be eliminated because men and women with the mental twist which leads to crime will be absolutely prevented from propagating their race.

Haven't seen run x3 around here for a while, what gives?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ioLh7boMc

Who the fuck says we need lasers.

there was a button on that video that said "do not click". I'm not taking shit from any buttons, so I clicked and was rewarded with some girl with rude titties and a nice butt dancing badly. it was enjoyable.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Today was my first experience with the Nook

I want one

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Get this.

Something we shot from Earth in a rocket is currently about 10.22 BILLION MILES AWAY and is going to LEAVE THE SOLAR SYSTEM SOON.

Hey what is this exactly? You got a link to hook a bro up with?

Voyager 1

The Voyager program may be the most awesome thing NASA has ever done.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I want one

anything with the capability of letting me read anywhere i go is probably not the best purchase

but that kind of shit looks so badass

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah awesome.

I had the name on the tip of my tongue but couldn't remember what it was called exactly, and I didn't know it had travelled so far!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I want one

anything with the capability of letting me read anywhere i go is probably not the best purchase

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/488173112_qKof7-L-2.jpg

?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I want one

i have this capability:

LawBooks.jpg

edit: dammit, khavall. aren't you supposed to be practicing?

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Luddites

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Luddites

never need to recharge

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also confined to one text size

Plus I'd rather hold a Kindle/Nook than a book

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm conflicted

on the one hand, shit like the Kindle and Nook are just awesome as hell. Thousands of books, right there? it's the future

on the other, a shelf full of books is just such a satisfying sight, and sometimes the feel of a book is part of the entertainment

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009

edit: dammit, khavall. aren't you supposed to be practicing?

I can't move my right arm anymore. I put in my 4 hours today.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I'm conflicted

on the one hand, shit like the Kindle and Nook are just awesome as hell. Thousands of books, right there? it's the future

on the other, a shelf full of books is just such a satisfying sight, and sometimes the feel of a book is part of the entertainment

also the smell and heft.

i am all for technology but i cannot foresee myself buying an ebook reader at any near time

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hell, the ability to abuse the shit out of a cheap paperback has a certain appeal to it. Can't really do that with a device that costs hundreds of dollars.

I really like books.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    welp, going to contact dell tomorrow. as soon as i hit the post button, the laptop locked up completely with the fan spun all the way up. this is not something i ought to have to deal with while it is still warranteed

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Luddites

Like those backwards people that refuse to buy robot butlers and video phones

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm currently posting on my Macbook Air

I just picked it up and lifted it with one hand

Feels futurey

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.