As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2010 Resolution Thread or D+D Goes to the Gym

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Yeah, free weights are much better for building real world strength and overall fitness. Machines are better for making specific muscles larger.

No. Free-weights are better there too.

Up to a point. They are better for actual bodybuilders who just need to really push one single muscle with massive weight. Which is pretty much what they were originally designed for, I believe.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    can we just agree that going to the gym is better than staying at home?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Free weights will serve you better in the long run, but as a novice machines will do the job admirably. I reiterate, though: as you progress further and grow more comfortable with your body, free weights are extremely useful. Not only are they easier and more convenient if you ever need to improvise outside of the gym, but they recruit the use of secondary and even tertiary stabilizing muscles that otherwise lay dormant. You know that uncomfortable and indescribable soreness you get after pushing a car out of the snow, or helping a friend move furniture? A lot of that is relatable to how untaxed these 'real world' muscles are by machines designed to target a niche muscle group.

This is actually a very important point.

You are only as strong as the weakest supporting muscle, tendon, ligament, or bone. Using machines is a great way to build up individual muscles without working all the associated support structures. Far too many people get injured because they use a few machines that really isolate muscles and exercise them well, and then they go and tear a bunch of shit because they're suddenly supporting the huge load through their arm, back, hips, and legs instead of just pushing against the machine.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, free weights are much better for building real world strength and overall fitness. Machines are better for making specific muscles larger.

Up to a point. They are better for actual bodybuilders who just need to really push one single muscle with massive weight. Which is pretty much what they were originally designed for, I believe.

Bodybuilders are retarded, but I digress.

Robman on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That depends. Do you have free-weights at home?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    That depends. Do you have free-weights at home?

I've heard the long term compliance rate at the gym is much stronger then at-home equipment, since you're paying monthly for the gym access. That monthly payment is a big motivator.

Robman on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I refuse to make it a "resolution", as those (personally and statistically) fall through, but I am making a point of eating better (healthier, less) and hitting the gym as often as I can, if nothing else than to offset a renewed WoW addiction.

Hell, I'm wrapping up a report here at work and going to the gym right now.

My goal is twice a week to start, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I only get there once for whatever reason, and will be pleased with myself if I manage 3 or more times in a week.

I intend to do this so I can feel better, live a longer, healthier life, and yes, admittedly, look better. At 6'4" I'm told I carry what weight I have well (definitely overweight, but not obese), but I know I can do better on a lot of fronts.

Anyway, this is a good thread and I wanted to toss my figurative hat into the ring. I turn 30 this year (in less than 2 months, actually) and figuring I hope to live another three or four (or more) decades, I'd like them to be good ones.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You really want to aim to hit the gym 3x a week, since it lets you work a really good breakdown of legs/shoulders, back+bis, chest + tris + core. It's not about being he-man and working out for 1-2 hours, but more about starting with compound lifts to get your muscles used to moving. You're not really doing yourself any favours if you just go right into isolated muscle exercises. For example:

Good starting lifts:
    Front + Back Squats
    Benchpress
    Military Press
    Rows
    Lunges
    Pulldowns

Bad starting lifts:
    Concentration curls
    Pec Decks
    and other single-muscle machines

Robman on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

Bodybuilders are retarded, but I digress.

Charles Atlas didn't need no stinkin' weights. He used his own body! "How does Mr. Tiger keep in physical condition? Did you ever see a tiger with a barbell?"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    o'course, skippy

You're much better off doing something than nothing, and like I said- machines are just fine starting out. If that's all you're comfortable with, and doing them keeps yo wokring out, then definitely go ahead. Doing anything a few times a week is better than doing something 'better' zero times a week

Kick ass, Skippy

Organichu on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You really want to aim to hit the gym 3x a week, since it lets you work a really good breakdown of legs/shoulders, back+bis, chest + tris + core. It's not about being he-man and working out for 1-2 hours, but more about starting with compound lifts to get your muscles used to moving. You're not really doing yourself any favours if you just go right into isolated muscle exercises. For example:

Good starting lifts:
    Front + Back Squats
    Benchpress
    Military Press
    Rows
    Lunges
    Pulldowns

Bad starting lifts:
    Concentration curls
    Pec Decks
    and other single-muscle machines

Deadliiiiiiiifts

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Deadlifts aren't beginner material man, like, at all.

Robman on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What the fuck are Pec Decks and concentration curls?

Is a concentration curl another name for preacher curls?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Taranis wrote: »
    What the fuck are Pec Decks and concentration curls?

Is a concentration curl another name for preacher curls?

A concentration curl is a preacher curl without the use of the stationary pad- you simply brace your elbow.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And a Pec Deck is a machine that works your pecs to the exclusion of all else, a very dangerous, shoulder-destroying type of exercise.

Robman on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Because they are complicated or work only the advanced muscles?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Because they are complicated or work only the advanced muscles?

Because if you do them wrong you can do real, serious and irreversible damage to yourself

Robman on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How is this unlike the squat?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The squat doesn't involve such strong moments about the pelvis, and it's easier to 'feel' when your back is in-line during a squat since it remains largely static.

Robman on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I am starting back to the gym this week. My ladyfriend has lost like 40 lbs over the past year and is in fantastic shape while I am hovering around 170 lbs and am not thrilled about my gut.

Aren't you tall like a freak?

no i am only 6 feet tall.

i did make it to the gym tonight. I did a few miles on the treadmill. I have an appointment with a trainer tomorrow.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    this thread is relevant to my interests.

i am unemployed, and so i have a lot of time, and i figure i should use some of it to become less scrawny.

i have a number of adjustable-load free weights. what are the basic exercises i should be doing to start with, for basic conditioning?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You really want to aim to hit the gym 3x a week, since it lets you work a really good breakdown of legs/shoulders, back+bis, chest + tris + core. It's not about being he-man and working out for 1-2 hours, but more about starting with compound lifts to get your muscles used to moving.

Good to know, I'll have to up my aim and strive for that 3x mark.

I'm opening up with mostly cardio, but I'm not ignoring some time on the free weights to coincide with that.

Yesterday was a success, going back tonight, and should probably pop onto the scale in the changeroom so I know my starting point again.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The squat doesn't involve such strong moments about the pelvis, and it's easier to 'feel' when your back is in-line during a squat since it remains largely static.

I don't really agree with this specifically or generally. That's always the thing about free weight lifts, is that they are better FOR beginners, even though they are all more difficult to do, both in terms of effort and in terms of injury potential. I always found deadlifts WAY easier to do than squats though, especially if you're making an effort to do squats right (ie, deep).

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Interesting tip regarding the free weights. I've been hitting the gym regularly since getting out of the video game industry, but for months and months I was just doing an hour of cardio five days a week. I wasn't very pleased with the results. I started doing a half hour of weights and a half hour of cardio three of those five days, and now I've moved it up to four days with weights and one with cardio. My weight exercises are about 50% machine based and 50% free weights. Things like shoulders, biceps and triceps tend to be free weights and chest, legs and back tend to be machine based. Would it be worthwhile going all free weight?

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, why don't we update the op with weights and goals of those interested?

I know part of the reason why I was able to loose the weight this time around, as opposed to any other times, was because I was using sparkpeople to track my weight loss, and I had a couple friends doing that too. On that site you can check each other's progress, and that was a big motivator.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Interesting tip regarding the free weights. I've been hitting the gym regularly since getting out of the video game industry, but for months and months I was just doing an hour of cardio five days a week. I wasn't very pleased with the results. I started doing a half hour of weights and a half hour of cardio three of those five days, and now I've moved it up to four days with weights and one with cardio. My weight exercises are about 50% machine based and 50% free weights. Things like shoulders, biceps and triceps tend to be free weights and chest, legs and back tend to be machine based. Would it be worthwhile going all free weight?

Chest, legs and back are a looot better to do free-weights, because of the huge number of support muscles they involve. Although, it's really fucking annoying to work your hamstrings not on a machine and you MUST, absolutely MUST work them about as hard as you work your quads or you will DESTROY your knees.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

I know part of the reason why I was able to loose the weight this time around, as opposed to any other times, was because I was using sparkpeople to track my weight loss, and I had a couple friends doing that too. On that site you can check each other's progress, and that was a big motivator.

Will do. Guys, PM me with your current and target weights and progress towards your target, I'll update the OP at least 1x/day. Also, let's agree that we weigh ourselves in the morning post-morning evacuation and pre-breakfast.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Chest, legs and back are a looot better to do free-weights, because of the huge number of support muscles they involve. Although, it's really fucking annoying to work your hamstrings not on a machine and you MUST, absolutely MUST work them about as hard as you work your quads or you will DESTROY your knees.

Deep squats will work your hamstrings as well.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

If you're a complete novice to free weights you should either be shelling out for lessons or going with a friend who knows what hes doing anyway. People shouldn't be winging this shit because you can hurt yourself just as badly doing a bad squat or racking the bar wrong after a bench set as you can during a deadlift.

And if you're paying the money to get trained, your nuts to not learn how to deadlift asap

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Agreed. One thing that helped me stick with regular exercise last year was participating in future events. I trained for cycling because I was going to do a century ride (and didn't want to be in pain). Then I started running and got more into that when I signed up for a solstice 5k. Without those goals, even though they're not olympiad goals, it would've been a lot easier to say "eh, I feel like sleeping in today" and only working out occasionally.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Will do. Guys, PM me with your current and target weights and progress towards your target, I'll update the OP at least 1x/day. Also, let's agree that we weigh ourselves in the morning post-morning evacuation and pre-breakfast.
    What if I eat breakfast before my morning evacuation?

Bama on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »

Agreed. One thing that helped me stick with regular exercise last year was participating in future events. I trained for cycling because I was going to do a century ride (and didn't want to be in pain). Then I started running and got more into that when I signed up for a solstice 5k. Without those goals, even though they're not olympiad goals, it would've been a lot easier to say "eh, I feel like sleeping in today" and only working out occasionally.

I second this. Having a goal that actually involves potential failure should you choose to not workout is much more motivating than something based around appearance. When I was training for my first race, that's what kept me getting out of bed.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What if I eat breakfast before my morning evacuation?

Drink a cup of coffee before your shower, the coffee enema never fails.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I also eat breakfast before I shower.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I also eat breakfast before I shower.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

I crawl from bed to shower personally, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look you wake up and you take a shower. Once you exit the shower you brush your teeth and shave. Then you eat.

That's how life is as an adult. Okay?

Organichu on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why would you eat after you brush your teeth

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »

I admit it's not smart

But it's over a decade of habit

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If I got right out of bed into a hot shower there's a chance my blood pressure would drop to the point of fainting.

It's wake->eat->shower->shave->brush teeth

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »

I admit it's not smart

But it's over a decade of habit

cavities are a habit too

don't try to fight it.