Options

The 2010 Resolution Thread or D+D Goes to the Gym

12346»

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Last year my resolution was to not drink alcohol the whole year and I did that. This year I am trying to lose weight.

We bought an elliptical machine back in like September that I used a lot when we first got it, then I just stopped. The past few weeks I have been doing 40 minutes on the elliptical 3x a week and I play floor hockey (aka running) every Monday. I want to get dumbbells and a bench to lay on.

As for eating, I have been doing good (in my eyes). I have either oatmeal (with water) or, on days that I elliptical usually, I have a bowl of cereal (special k or wheat chex), a banana, and some turkey bacon. Lately, I have been having turkey (not those packaged lunch meats, actual deli lunch meat) sandwiches (with either green peppers or lettuce) on wheat bread or perdue frozen chicken patties (with lettuce). Usually, I have my mom cook up chicken or salmon, but she was away for a week on vacation, so I have been having those as my meals. I have those tuna pouches, but haven't had much of them lately.

I have tons of sugar free jello, yogurt, applesauce, salad with salad being the thing I have the most out of all of those.

So, with what little info I have provided, does it even sound like I am on the right track? Obviously I cheat from time to time, but I don't think it is anything terrible or out of the ordinary. I was browsing the one site in the OP and doing crunches, push ups, and all that jazz seems to be in my future too.

Yeah you're on a good track. What's your height and weight?

And elliptical machines are fine, but if you can, I would switch up to running. At the least make sure that you keep raising the intensity as the weeks go by. You always want to keep pushing yourself and never feel comfortable doing cardio.

I am getting used to running by playing floor hockey pretty much. I am absolutely scared to go running just out of embarrassment. I am getting there though. Plus, all this snow isn't helping. Haha.

Good thing to remember about the elliptical. I think tomorrow I am going to do a resistance mode instead of weight loss (which is just using 0-2 resistance). Definitely feels like I am a tad bit lighter on my feet during hockey. Not much, but I guess I am doing something kind of right.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As previously noted, I've been hitting the elliptical machines for cardio for the past month or so, and find that it definitely helps to switch things up on yourself. Keep at least a vague mental log of how far you're getting / calories burned count, and strive to go further/work harder. Changing up the resistance by even one or two levels can be a hell of a difference, that's for sure. I've been thinking of trying a much higher resistance (at obviously a slower pace) to see what that's like, and will probably give it a go on my Wednesday or Thursday visit.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Definitely feels like I am a tad bit lighter on my feet during hockey. Not much, but I guess I am doing something kind of right.

Feeling a tad faster or not being as tired afterward is totally worth celebrating

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    holy fuck. I just sprinted up 5 flights of stairs and am tremendously and embarassingly winded.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Definitely feels like I am a tad bit lighter on my feet during hockey. Not much, but I guess I am doing something kind of right.

Feeling a tad faster or not being as tired afterward is totally worth celebrating

Maybe not so much faster as I had to stay out longer since we had only three Dmen and I wasn't as winded as I thought I would be. Either way, something is kind of working.

For elliptical today, I switched it down from 40 minutes to 30 and set the resistance from like 0-2 to something like 4-8. I figure on Thursday I will put it back to 40 minutes.

Just had me a little salad, vin and oil, some drops of lemon, four little tomatoes, and a cut up piece of perdue chicken patty (200 cal per patty I believe). Now I have to stay over at work (hotel) since it is supposed to be bad tomorrow (fuck staying at work). We get a free dinner and breakfast. I am contemplating just making a sandwich before I go and having that instead of whatever meal I could get there. I dunno.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    holy fuck. I just sprinted up 5 flights of stairs and am tremendously and embarassingly winded.

We did stair sprints for Rugby training. They kicked my ass at the peak of my physical shape even then.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man it feels good to be a regular gym rat again. I just wish I had access to a better post-workout snack then a chopped banana and cottage cheese.

Robman on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Man it feels good to be a regular gym rat again. I just wish I had access to a better post-workout snack then a chopped banana and cottage cheese.

* Tube might beat my ass for this*

BOOYAH!
    http://www.optimumnutrition.com/

Mix your choice of fruit, extra protien ( Peanut Butter, the REAL kind) and BAM! Tough actin Tinacti....oh, sorry wrong commerical.

But yeah, quick, healthy, and all fuckawesome post workout.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That looks wonderful, but my current circumstances bar protein powders.

Robman on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You are going to love it come summer Rob when all the orchards and fruit stands get going. Man I miss the fresh Okanagan fruit.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    You are going to love it come summer Rob when all the orchards and fruit stands get going. Man I miss the fresh Okanagan fruit.

I already have a running path that takes me by some orchards. I fully expect temptation to win me over and my backside to be filled with rock salt at some point.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, my suggestion to mix things up on the cardio? Followed it myself last night, and pushed from my usual "level 1-3" to level 10.

8.9 k (~5.5 miles) later, I nearly got my ass kicked by an elliptical machine. However, I prevailed.

Forar: 1, Elliptical Machine: 0.

A brief stint at level 20 (the top) taught me that I should hold off on going much higher than 15 for now. That shit is like cross country skiing through quicksand.

Forar on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    6/8/6/6/5

Better luck next time, self.

6/8/6/6/6

I guess that technically counts as better luck.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've got to figure out a routine for chest/triceps that doesn't leave my arms feeling like ass half-way through.

So far I'm doing

chest pullovers 10x3
    bench press 10x3
    tricep pulldowns 10x3
    incline dumbell fly 10x3
    pec deck butterfly 10x3
    tricep kickback 10x3
    decline bench press 10x3

after which point my arms are totally smashed and I can't continue. Any ideas?

Robman on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's a fuckton of reps and different exercises. More weight, less reps. Especially if you keep that volume of different exercises.

I do 5x5 or 3x5 on alternate weeks, and use dumbbells instead of bar every so often.

Bench, close-grip bench, incline bench, dips, and decline bench sometimes. My chest and tris get equally hammered.

I don't know how advanced you are, but for a novice:

Flyes (flies?) are mostly useless, I'd drop them. Do more compound exercises, less isolation.

Hell, I've been going to the gym steadily for a year and still consider myself a novice.

wallaka on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I do the incline fly to hit my upper pecs, as there's not much else that's good for hitting them.

Robman on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Incline press (whether DB or not) does. And has the advantage of enabling the use of more weight, thus more muscle activation.

wallaka on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I got bored with the fat loss lifting program I've been doing since december, so I'm switching things up for a month or two and doing a hypertrophy program. The first two workouts absolutely demolished me... I did upper body monday, and lower body tuesday (off today), and I could barely get out of bed this morning. Once I got moving around a bit I loosened up, but man... it's difficult to get in and out of my chair today...

The workout is really cool, though. It has a lot of variety. There's upper and lower workouts, and each workout, you do a different set and rep range. So my first upper body workout on monday was a 5x5 routine. When I do it again tomorrow, it'll be the same exercises, but in a 3x15 routine. Then the next one will be 4x10. The lower body workout does the same rep ranges, but in a different order. So through the course of the program, I'm gonna hit all the different muscle fibers with the different rep ranges, and doing such different workouts will keep me interested...

I'm looking forward to getting stronger and a little bigger... and then hitting a fat loss program again in april to get ready for swimsuit season...

jimb213 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Resolution thread! Arise! We've not given up so soon, have we? (or are all the participants simply hitting the SE++ and H&A fitness threads?)

Anyway, I've started adding free weights and some machine usage to my routine. Later than I probably should've, but I've finally decided to add more time to my visits, and at an hour of cardio I'm probably good on that for now. Speaking of which, I've jumped to level 13 out of 20 on the elliptical, and am knocking back over 1100 calories in that hour, and covering 9.5-9.6 km (5.9-6 miles).

Last time I checked in with the scale, I was down to approximately 268, so I'm nearly down 10 pounds since January. I continue to struggle with my diet in terms of eating things I enjoy and am accustomed to while avoiding bad shit that's helped get me to this point.

So, how's everyone else doing? Seeing gains or losses like you wanted to? Still keeping with it? Decided that the gym membership was a waste of time and got back into the latest MMO?

Forar on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've peaked at 200lbs. Real pain in the arse. Need a final push to start bulking, but have a million things going on at Uni right now (Dissertation due, job searching, making the last of my final couple months) that I haven't been putting in the effort I ought.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've started running recently. I've only got 2 runs in so far, today I will make my third run, but I am feeling very positive about it.
    Haven't run really that far though, only about 1km each time. Its doing me good though and I will be increasing the amount each week.

My legs have been continually sore since I started though. I've got a severe case of couch potato-itis.

I've also been doing pushups too. I haven't been vigorously following the 100 pushup strategy though.

Today though I did 20/15/15/15/20.

My peak pushups ever (which i only even attempted for shits and giggles, I wasn't doing pushups AT ALL) was 50 like 2 years ago. Paving asphalt had me in some good shape.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    i weigh 240 lbs and i have moobs

my resolution didn't turn out so well

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's not over yet.

9 full months left in the year, plenty of time to get back on the treadmill (literally or figuratively).

Forar on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    ok i plan to weigh 238 by december 31st

seems like a reasonable goal

Organichu on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been trying to get back into working out. Sitting at a desk 50-60 hours a week has not been kind to me these past few years. Problem is I'm not really sure where to start. I remember back at a gym I used to go to a trainer had me doing 3 sets of 10-15 reps for 3 or 4 excercises and 10 minutes on the treadmill between each round of sets.

I should probably grab a exercising guide for dummies.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hit the H/A thread on fitness first.

Robman on