Options

President's [chat]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    well anywhoo

I probably won't move for another couple of years

but I'm thinking we'll probably start talking about kids soon

and houses and shit

and I don't think we can afford to do that in CA

yeah skippy i wanted to post more about this in the previous thread but got distracted by something.

boulder might be a good idea for a town to live in. it has probably too many hippies for my taste but it's definitely a college town, has a nice climate, is pretty, has at least a few industries and isn't too too expensive i don't think.

most rocky mountain small towns are ass conservative and they just get worse as you get farther north. idaho, for instance, is basically hard-core mormons in the south and white supremacists in the north.

really this is the central problem with the rockies: the people tend to be really polarized between new-age hippies or hard-core libertarianish conservatives - sometimes both at the same time, somehow! i mean it is a problem in a lot of the US, but especially marked in the rockies.

despite the clear charms of the climate and location it is not really a place i particularly want to move back to. plus the public transportation in like every single rocky mountain city is basically nonexistent.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't care. Just in the northeast. We need to fill our quota.

your quota of what

Get the fuck over here.

vymy4n.gif

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    non military: you must be a citizen to own anything class 3

Organichu on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm British, I'd have to move to the US, get citizenship, then join the army, then become an automatic rifleman..... I'd rather be a sniper if it wasn't for the horrific killing people through a zoomed scope. Or the killing at all for that matter, I mean I know I could... anyone could it's inbuilt into our biological psyche, but I wouldn't choose to.

I wonder if I join the UK Armed forces, go through into the SAS, then quit after 3-5 years and join Mi5 or SiS, then move to America and get citizenship and join the Army and get into the special forces, if they would let me drive a tank around Kansas.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    well anywhoo

I probably won't move for another couple of years

but I'm thinking we'll probably start talking about kids soon

and houses and shit

and I don't think we can afford to do that in CA

yeah skippy i wanted to post more about this in the previous thread but got distracted by something.

boulder might be a good idea for a town to live in. it has probably too many hippies for my taste but it's definitely a college town, has a nice climate, is pretty, has at least a few industries and isn't too too expensive i don't think.

most rocky mountain small towns are ass conservative and they just get worse as you get farther north. idaho, for instance, is basically hard-core mormons in the south and white supremacists in the north.

really this is the central problem with the rockies: the people tend to be really polarized between new-age hippies or hard-core libertarianish conservatives - sometimes both at the same time, somehow! i mean it is a problem in a lot of the US, but especially marked in the rockies.

despite the clear charms of the climate and location it is not really a place i particularly want to move back to. plus the public transportation in like every single rocky mountain city is basically nonexistent.

yeah I am torn because I am pretty progressive, which = city

but city = expensive

and I kinda want to live in a sleepy little town that gets all snowy in winter and has little local festivals and shit where potential kids can just ride bikes around

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Still reading this blog.

Oh God.

You must really hate yourself.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Johannen wrote: »
    I'm British, I'd have to move to the US, get citizenship, then join the army, then become an automatic rifleman..... I'd rather be a sniper if it wasn't for the horrific killing people through a zoomed scope. Or the killing at all for that matter, I mean I know I could... anyone could it's inbuilt into our biological psyche, but I wouldn't choose to.

I wonder if I join the UK Armed forces, go through into the SAS, then quit after 3-5 years and join Mi5 or SiS, then move to America and get citizenship and join the Army and get into the special forces, if they would let me drive a tank around Kansas.

You can join our army without citizenship and if you complete your term we will give you citizenship. It worked for Rome.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

What does a class 3 gun look like.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Still reading this blog.

Oh God.

Woman scorned etc etc

Ludious on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    One of my best friends moved to Maine, he seems to like it. I think he thinks it is a nice break after living in Baltimore and then Boston for his undergrad and law degrees.

does he make a living selling moose and lobster related nick-nacks from his home business on maine street?

Sadly more boring, just a junior lawyer in a law firm in Portland, Maine.

hrmmm. maritime law, i hope?

also, penobscot bay is where its at.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Still reading this blog.

Oh God.

You must really hate yourself.

I do.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Johanen a spoiler of the opening for one of the funnier episodes ever. Episode 8 of this year.

Not really a spoiler for anything in the ep just freaking hilarious.

That's funny shit, you can tell those two get on really well with each other, I think it's what adds to the episodes too. I loved the episode where they start arguing like a married couple, it's the first one with the trickster I think, where Dean describes Sam going up to a guy... "You're too precious for this world!"

Yeah the bloopers on the dvds are funny, like I guess Jared (sam) has gas issues or at least his farts are awful.

I haven't found the blooper real on any of the disks yet, I might not have bought the good ones, but I'll buy them all once I have got through to the final series they are going to make of it. I hope it never happens because it's the first good series I've started watching in a long time, and I hope they start moving back to some of the creepiness of the first couple series and don't stray into Buffy territory. I'll try and get it all on Blu-Ray extended editions when ever they get that out.

Johannen on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh fuck, I just had a WTF moment in The Sims 3.

So I invite over some woman I got my sim to flirt about with. Said woman comes over. With a baby in hand.

D:

So things aren't starting off well for my sim. My sim quickly rushes off to bed, good night, leaves her too it. I'm in bed, but she proceeds to stay in my house with kid for another 2 hours, watching TV! My sim eventually gets up, realising that said woman with kid hasn't left. I proceed down stairs and order my sim to ask her to leave.

Does he do that? Oh no.

Instead, he proceeds to pick up the kid woman came with, and RUSH out the door with the kid. He runs around the block behind the fence towards where I placed a tree, and waits there. Woman, somewhat worried that i've rushed away with HER kid, proceeds to run after me, grabs kid from me and says she needs to go. :lol:

Sims. Not quite doing things conventially!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Skippy, move to the northeast. Move to like Vermont or something where there's just mountains and shit. Nobody even lives there.

I am kinda meh to the east coast

but I will consider it when the time comes

new hampshire?

maine?

man skippy i love the northeast but it is basically the opposite of "I would like to go to a place with mild weather and where my dollars will go a little further so i can think about raising a family"

also unless you move to an actual city the locals will view you, your children, and probably your children's children as interlopers.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Skippy, move to the northeast. Move to like Vermont or something where there's just mountains and shit. Nobody even lives there.

I am kinda meh to the east coast

but I will consider it when the time comes

new hampshire?

maine?

man skippy i love the northeast but it is basically the opposite of "I would like to go to a place with mild weather and where my dollars will go a little further so i can think about raising a family"

also unless you move to an actual city the locals will view you, your children, and probably your children's children as interlopers.

In Vermont nobody will even think he is anything but a bear.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Any firearm capable of firing more then one round per trigger pull. Or any bit that can allow for that. There is a more accurate answer but it's a lot longer and full of legalese. Or the string in the picture.

shoestringmg.JPG
    Yes, I know the ATF eventually reversed itself on the string.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

You can join our army without citizenship and if you complete your term we will give you citizenship. It worked for Rome.

Do I lose citizenship in the UK the though? Also, if I complete my term in the US army, can they call me back into service whenever they like or can I just quit out when I am done? This is purely out of interest sake, I'm hella not doing it... I wouldn't want to join any army that wouldn't allow me the chance to join the SAS.

Johannen on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what office would I go to at a college to talk to someone about applying there when I've been there before and don't know how to re-apply?

admissions I guess? don't see it on the website.

not sure what registrar refers to exactly.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

You do not need citizenship to join the US military.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder what L would do if given a Black Lantern Ring...

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

So I invite over some woman I got my sim to flirt about with. Said woman comes over. With a baby in hand.

D:

So things aren't starting off well for my sim. My sim quickly rushes off to bed, good night, leaves her too it. I'm in bed, but she proceeds to stay in my house with kid for another 2 hours, watching TV! My sim eventually gets up, realising that said woman with kid hasn't left. I proceed down stairs and order my sim to ask her to leave.

Does he do that? Oh no.

Instead, he proceeds to pick up the kid woman came with, and RUSH out the door with the kid. He runs around the block behind the fence towards where I placed a tree, and waits there. Woman, somewhat worried that i've rushed away with HER kid, proceeds to run after me, grabs kid from me and says she needs to go. :lol:

Wow, so we're to the third game and the Sims still go to sleep with people still in their houses and the guests just hang around.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Do I lose citizenship in the UK the though? Also, if I complete my term in the US army, can they call me back into service whenever they like or can I just quit out when I am done? This is purely out of interest sake, I'm hella not doing it... I wouldn't want to join any army that wouldn't allow me the chance to join the SAS.

I believe you would have to surrender it but I'm sure someone can give a more accurate answer.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Johanen a spoiler of the opening for one of the funnier episodes ever. Episode 8 of this year.

Not really a spoiler for anything in the ep just freaking hilarious.

That's funny shit, you can tell those two get on really well with each other, I think it's what adds to the episodes too. I loved the episode where they start arguing like a married couple, it's the first one with the trickster I think, where Dean describes Sam going up to a guy... "You're too precious for this world!"

Yeah the bloopers on the dvds are funny, like I guess Jared (sam) has gas issues or at least his farts are awful.

I haven't found the blooper real on any of the disks yet, I might not have bought the good ones, but I'll buy them all once I have got through to the final series they are going to make of it. I hope it never happens because it's the first good series I've started watching in a long time, and I hope they start moving back to some of the creepiness of the first couple series and don't stray into Buffy territory. I'll try and get it all on Blu-Ray extended editions when ever they get that out.

Season 2 bloopers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HckvfRYt-l8

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad I started Pale Fire again

Elendil on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Denver itself is really liberal, has a couple colleges and is pretty nice. By this I mean Denver county not the suburbs, most of them out there are conservative pricks. Boulder is nice but expensive compared to a lot of other cities. I love Fort Collins, it is the other big college town outside of Boulder. A little more conservative but not as expensive and has some of the best restaurants in the state. Also if you have ever had New Belgium Brewery beer it is made up in Fort Collins. Also intel and hp have big sites there for tech work.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

but city = expensive

and I kinda want to live in a sleepy little town that gets all snowy in winter and has little local festivals and shit where potential kids can just ride bikes around

you should send Speaker a PM. He lives in a sleepy little town in New Hampshire that kind of meets what you just said. I don't know that I would call it progressive but it doesn't seem too awfully regressive anyways. You would probably find that it is hard to really get in with the locals (New Hampshire and Maine are especially bad about this), but maybe you don't care too much about that.

I mean I am not really trying to sell Speaker's town or anything, but he might be able to give you some insight as to the actual pros and cons of living in such a place.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010

well it's sort of a misnomer- 'class' refers the licensure of the manufacturer/seller of the weapon(s)

things like suppressors, short barrel rifles, destructive devices (grenade launchers), etc

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    deciding where to live is hard

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Holy shit, Preacher, that intro was hilarious.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys are Supernatural fanboys and it's kinda creepy. Like you know the actors first names and use them like you've gone to lunch with them.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    what office would I go to at a college to talk to someone about applying there when I've been there before and don't know how to re-apply?

Registrar is something different. Admissions is a good start. If not there then they will definitely be able to direct you to the correct department. If you're still registered with the school you might just need to set up an appointment with an advisor.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Army Special Forces are based directly on the SAS and do pretty much the same shit.

And no you can't be called back. Once your contract is up you are free.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010

but city = expensive

you should send Speaker a PM. He lives in a sleepy little town in New Hampshire that kind of meets what you just said. I don't know that I would call it progressive but it doesn't seem too awfully regressive anyways. You would probably find that it is hard to really get in with the locals (New Hampshire and Maine are especially bad about this), but maybe you don't care too much about that.

I mean I am not really trying to sell Speaker's town or anything, but he might be able to give you some insight as to the actual pros and cons of living in such a place.

also I mean

I guess I imagine most places have a mix of people?

like, San Diego is pretty conservative in general, but aside from when people were picketing to vote yes on 8 to protect the children, it hasn't enraged me too much

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Variable wrote: »

Registrar is something different. Admissions is a good start. If not there then they will definitely be able to direct you to the correct department. If you're still registered with the school you might just need to set up an appointment with an advisor.

thanks. I tried to do that but they were like you gotta apply first. but I'm not totally sure who I was talking to so they may have just been trying to brush me off.

gotta just go in there and get some info. thanks again.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Always love taking midterms. The instructor always says "everyone did pretty well, average was >80" and I get it back and it's a 60. Why do I even study for exams? I've never scored well on an exam I studied for.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thom, what does the string do. It looks like the bolt goes back and when it moves back forward it tugs on the string and causes the trigger to be fired again? Technically making it an automatic?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Army Special Forces are based directly on the SAS and do pretty much the same shit.

And no you can't be called back. Once your contract is up you are free*.

*note: a contract is generally for 8 years. typically, you do 4 years active duty and 4 years inactive ready reserve. during your time in IRR you do not train or drill or step foot on a military base, but you CAN be called up if they need you. see: dudes that retired from the army and then got called back to service and sent to the desert.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When I am at work I get a profound sense of purposefulness. The feeling of fulfilling a role and being useful makes me feel completely content. It's pretty much the closest thing I get to happy these days.

So I don't understand why, when I am at home, I feel like shit when I think about going back the next day.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

D:

Does he do that? Oh no.

Wow, so we're to the third game and the Sims still go to sleep with people still in their houses and the guests just hang around.

Yes, but now the AI adjusts by STEALING BABIES!!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »

And no you can't be called back. Once your contract is up you are free*.

*note: a contract is generally for 8 years. typically, you do 4 years active duty and 4 years inactive ready reserve. during your time in IRR you do not train or drill or step foot on a military base, but you CAN be called up if they need you. see: dudes that retired from the army and then got called back to service and sent to the desert.

Usually it's three years active duty

but yes.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.