Oven [chat]

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    no he's saying

everybody's quiet - be quiet

everybody's talking - don't bitch about that
    That's complete bullshit. Just because someone is in the majority doesn't make them right.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pony wrote: »

I know crowds. I know how to work with a crowd, and how to work a crowd too, and I have a pretty good head for when some public behaviors are acceptable and others are not.

It's a thing you get a sense of as you watch the movie, and sometimes it doesn't go the way I like it and rather than trying to force it, I just leave. I've walked out of bad movies before because the crowd either didn't think it was as bad as I did, or weren't the sort of folk who react to bad movies that way. That's okay, I'll just head out rather than sit there biting my tongue.

However, people aren't universal and even if most of the movie was laughing and clapping and snarking along with Daybreakers, I'm sure some people weren't and were probably really annoyed that other people weren't being reverent of the sacrament of Their Ten Dollars.

In that case, those people can leave. It's a crowd experience, and if you don't like the crowd, rent a DVD.

Wait, are you saying that if there are a few people in the theater that don't like your jokes, but the rest of the people do, then they can leave? Or are you saying that if you can't make your jokes during a shitty movie you'll walk out.

Just curious?

I'm saying if the crowd is being raucous and sarcastic at the movie and cracking wise and laughing at and so on, then that's the crowd. If that annoys you, leave.

If I would like it if the crowd was that raucous at this bad film and it isn't and that's diminishing my enjoyment of the movie, then I should leave. And, as that has happened sometimes, I have! My buddies and I have walked out of bad movies because nobody else seemed to really think of it the way we did.

If one guy in a cinema full of people laughing and wisecracking stands up and shouts at everyone else to shut up, he's about as big of an asshole as one guy wisecracking in a theater full of people who are trying to quietly watch.

No, that guy is right and you should all shut up.
    It's mob rule, like I said. It's a crowd experience, and if you don't like the crowd, get out and watch DVDs.

Theater policy disagrees with you. Also, what makes you think movie-going is a "crowd experience"? Is everything done in public subject to the shenanigans of whatever anyone in that crowd feels like doing?
    So, what Drez is basically saying is "Fuck how everyone else feels about the film, I, Drez, get the right exclusively to determine the appropriate behavior at the cinema and if everyone else in the crowd is enjoying the film via laughing and snarking at it, they are wrong and I am right for insisting they are silent so I may enjoy the film and ignore that they exist".

Drez, you are pretty enormously self-centered on this subject.

Incidentally, though, my "self-centered" viewpoint is correct.

Though my viewpoint isn't actually self-centered. I'm talking in hypotheticals that never occur because it is never the case where a majority of theater goers want to collectively heckle the screen. Maybe you live in some hokey village where they all look to you personally as their primary source of entertainment, even while already inside a movie theater, but the actual "majority" thing you're trying to prove an argument with doesn't exist anywhere else.

I'm just saying that the idea that mob rule dictates appropriate behavior is silly, because it is absolutely ridiculous.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Let's talk about a game that I finished this morning - Halo Wars. I liked it, it had great production value.

I didn't like it.

I think I would have liked it more if they had chosen another IP for their xbox rts.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I know crowds. I know how to work with a crowd, and how to work a crowd too, and I have a pretty good head for when some public behaviors are acceptable and others are not.

It's a thing you get a sense of as you watch the movie, and sometimes it doesn't go the way I like it and rather than trying to force it, I just leave. I've walked out of bad movies before because the crowd either didn't think it was as bad as I did, or weren't the sort of folk who react to bad movies that way. That's okay, I'll just head out rather than sit there biting my tongue.

However, people aren't universal and even if most of the movie was laughing and clapping and snarking along with Daybreakers, I'm sure some people weren't and were probably really annoyed that other people weren't being reverent of the sacrament of Their Ten Dollars.

In that case, those people can leave. It's a crowd experience, and if you don't like the crowd, rent a DVD.

Wait, are you saying that if there are a few people in the theater that don't like your jokes, but the rest of the people do, then they can leave? Or are you saying that if you can't make your jokes during a shitty movie you'll walk out.

Just curious?

I'm saying if the crowd is being raucous and sarcastic at the movie and cracking wise and laughing at and so on, then that's the crowd. If that annoys you, leave.

If I would like it if the crowd was that raucous at this bad film and it isn't and that's diminishing my enjoyment of the movie, then I should leave. And, as that has happened sometimes, I have! My buddies and I have walked out of bad movies because nobody else seemed to really think of it the way we did.

If one guy in a cinema full of people laughing and wisecracking stands up and shouts at everyone else to shut up, he's about as big of an asshole as one guy wisecracking in a theater full of people who are trying to quietly watch.

It's mob rule, like I said. It's a crowd experience, and if you don't like the crowd, get out and watch DVDs.
    Did you seriously just use "if you don't like it, leave"? I mean, really? That's your justification for being a dick?

It's a movie theater. Not a Pony be a dick show. The don't say "Quiet please, unless everyone else isn't being that quiet, in which case you can be less quiet". I don't give a shit how much the crowd is into it. If you want to be loud, you buy the fucking DVD and do it at home. Let the people who paid the movie theater to watch the movie watch the fucking movie.

no he's saying

exactly

and if you can't deal with it

mosey on

DVDs at home are a personal experience. cinema is a crowd experience. if the crowd chooses to be raucous, you don't have to be raucous, but if you are the one loudly demanding they conform to your cinema reverence, that's your fucking problem.

if a raucous crowd in a theater for a terrible film is too much for you and you can't enjoy the film because of it, leave. go watch a DVD.

if the serious and reverent crowd of some terrible film is too much for you and you can't enjoy the film because of it, leave. go watch a DVD.

cinema is a social experience. it's a crowd experience. if you can't stand the crowd, get out.

Pony on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Let's talk about a game that I finished this morning - Halo Wars. I liked it, it had great production value.

I didn't like it.

I think I would have liked it more if they had chosen another IP for their xbox rts.

Well as a pretty non-Halo knowledgeable guy, I thought it was a splendid sci-fi rts!

The end there was a bit moving!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Iwrestledabearonce are coming here soon-ish. I think I will go and laugh at them...

Tav on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    i hope matt has someone talking very loudly on a cell phone sitting next to him

for the rest of his life

who will follow him into bed and into the bathroom

discussing the weather and the results of "yesterday's game" (what sport he is talking about will never be made clear)

this would make a good short story

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just curious?

Did you seriously just use "if you don't like it, leave"? I mean, really? That's your justification for being a dick?

It's a movie theater. Not a Pony be a dick show. The don't say "Quiet please, unless everyone else isn't being that quiet, in which case you can be less quiet". I don't give a shit how much the crowd is into it. If you want to be loud, you buy the fucking DVD and do it at home. Let the people who paid the movie theater to watch the movie watch the fucking movie.

no he's saying

I'll remember that when everyone wants to ban gay marriage.

alright I'm outta here
    No, he's pretty much said he's fine ignoring socially acceptable standards for behavior as long as enough other people are. That mob rule wins out. So, you know, lets apply this to everything, live life the Pony way.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Ow, my brain.
    <?php
    $thisyear=date("Y");
    $lastyear=date("Y")-1;
    $lastlastyear=date("Y")-2;
    $lastlastlastyear=date("Y")-3;
    $lastlastlastlastyear=date("Y")-4;
    $lastlastlastlastlastyear=date("Y")-5;
    $lastlastlastlastlastlastyear=date("Y")-6;
    $lastlastlastlastlastlastlastyear=date("Y")-7;
    ?>

Echo on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i would go to a pony be a dick show.

they do those in Tijuana no?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Halo Wars showed me what the grim future will be like

Halo will live on as a bungie-less zombie

I wish they'd just let it die gracefully

and never ever let anyone but bungie make anything halo.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    i didn't finish halo wars

i thought it was the most well-implemented console RTS that i have seen. but i don't really like RTS's i guess.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7sPxdsm85w

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    i wonder if bungie is sick of halo yet

it doesn't seem like a very fun IP to develop

Rust on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's Pony is saying is really straight forward guys.

Watch the latest QT flick: Everyone should be quiet.

Watch Snakes on a Plane at the midnight opening: Expect the crowd to be as funny as the movie itself.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Halo is poop

from a butt

or 500 developers butts

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Next time I'm at a buffet my friends and I will start pissing on everyone's food HEY THE FOOD SUCKS ANYWAY SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GTFO

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

thank you

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey there.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I didn't like it.

Well as a pretty non-Halo knowledgeable guy, I thought it was a splendid sci-fi rts!

The end there was a bit moving!

yeah but for me, the fact that it has this halo skin on it messed it up

it wasn't halo at all and was trying to be, but it didn't have to

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

thank you

nexus did it with out dirtying up my splendor

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

i thought it was the most well-implemented console RTS that i have seen. but i don't really like RTS's i guess.

The controls do work really splendid!

It was also nice to properly see Ensemble off for me. They were always my favourites I guess.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, what Drez is basically saying is "Fuck how everyone else feels about the film, I, Drez, get the right exclusively to determine the appropriate behavior at the cinema and if everyone else in the crowd is enjoying the film via laughing and snarking at it, they are wrong and I am right for insisting they are silent so I may enjoy the film and ignore that they exist".

pony are you goddamned retarded

it's not that complicated. shut up in a theater or you're being a self-absorbed silly goose

i love how you're making this somehow Drez's fault for telling a guy who is loudly talking through a movie at the movie theater that he is being an asshole

that's rich

MikeMan on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That is a deplorable non-silly goose insult, from someone on a high horse.

The same people who use your logic? The annoying teens who giggle and chatter and use their cells throughout the whole movie and ruin the whole movie theatre experience.

"If you don't like it, leave!"

Uhh... no. You.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    What's Pony is saying is really straight forward guys.

Watch the latest QT flick: Everyone should be quiet.

Watch Snakes on a Plane at the midnight opening: Expect the crowd to be as funny as the movie itself.

Except he tried to do it with Simone, and I bet a lot of other movies as well that other people were trying to enjoy.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Here in Sweden they'd probably have security throw Pony out of the premises.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

Halo Wars started as project: make an RTS for the xbox that works

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just curious?

This...

The stand up open mic and bars are the place for you to wisecrack. You pay money to go to the theater and watch movies. If that's fucking hard to grasp then there's a lot of employees and usually police officers in and around the theater that can help you, but I'm not going to be the one leaving.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cinema is a social experience. it's a crowd experience. if you can't stand the crowd, get out.

It's not a "crowd experience." It's an individual experience that requires me to coexist proximately with other people while we are all individually experiencing the movie.

I'm not sure where you got this idea that movies are a social experience from? Maybe in little groups - the groups that you came with - as long as you don't alter anyone else's experience with your minimal socializations.

I mean when I go to a restaurant with a date, or with a few friends, yeah that's a social experience. Within my little group. I don't go shouting jokes at the other tables no matter how fucking funny I may be.

I don't know where the hell your idea of "crowd experience" came from, but it's as silly as everything else you've said on the subject.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    someone talk some music with me or something

protest the hero are good

jesus people throw me a bone

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You guys are silly.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Halo is poop

from a butt

or 500 developers butts
    Bungie makes incredibly high quality games. They are easily Valve's equal in terms of consistent quality.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    i wonder if bungie is sick of halo yet

it doesn't seem like a very fun IP to develop

I think they very much are

but after Reach, it's supposed to be over. They're supposed to have a secret project.

Nathan Fillion knows what it is.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys have the reading comprehension of a brick, god damn.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tav wrote: »

i said something about vitamin c earlier. not sure if i was being serious.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tav wrote: »

Throw me a bone's old stuff is good but they've really sold out lately.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    somebody want to gunbound or something?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've never done the Halo thing.

I imagine one of these days I will play through the single player of all 3 or 4 games to see what it's all about.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You guys have the reading comprehension of a brick, god damn.

<3

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the reverence some of y'all have for the sanctity of theater silence is funny. Sputtering comparisons to other violent forms of mob rule is even funnier.

You people are taking this shit too seriously. I am sorry that sometimes, the crowd doesn't respect the Sacrament of Your Ten Dollars, that you spent in holy contract to receive a cinema experience of absolute respect and silence.

Sometimes, I go into a movie expecting a certain crowd and get one not to my liking. In those cases, I have two choices: I can try to inflict my will upon the crowd, or I can leave. I choose to leave, because movies are a luxury option and not a life-necessity and I don't need to endure a bad film in a quiet theater just to justify My Holy Ten Dollars.

Cinema experiences are relative. There are no absolute rules of appropriate behavior in the cinema beyond that which the crowd (and the law, obviously!) deems acceptable. It's not illegal to talk in the theater, but depending on the environment, it may or may not be rude.

I maintain that there are environments where it is appropriate, and even welcome, and I am hardly alone in thinking so.

I like people, I like social interactions with others, and I like crowd experiences. I like moving with the crowd sometimes, directing it other times, I like that sort of mass entertainment experience.

If you don't, that's totally okay, but it also doesn't give you the right to be Ms. Librarian and hush everybody else if you're the only person who wants to sit in perfect silence and watch the cinematic treasure that is Alien vs Predator.

Likewise, if everyone else wants to watch the movie quietly, either watch the movie quietly or don't watch the movie. It's a crowd experience, and the crowd dynamics determine what is appropriate there.

The rest of you who are just like "I DON'T CARE IF EVERYONE IS RAUCOUS, IF ONE PERSON DOESN'T WANT THEM TO BE THE REST OF YOU LOUD PLEBS ARE WRONG"

you're just being a snob.

Pony on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Halo is poop

from a butt

or 500 developers butts
    Bungie makes incredibly high quality games. They are easily Valve's equal in terms of consistent quality.

bungie makes a high-quality game

one

arguably

the days of marathon are long gone and halo's single player has always been crushingly mediocre

Rust on
This discussion has been closed.