As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] to Kill

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Margaritas are so good.

You don't get to say the plural of margaritas, considering you've never consumed two full ones.

Frozen margaritas are alright...if only because they are basically alcoholic slushies.

oh man

man

i just got a hankerin' for a slushy...

Like, I need to drive to the gas station NOW to get a slushy.

_J_ on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Getting onto the really recent shit, that recent remake of 3:10 To Yuma was actually pretty damn good.

Open Range is incredibly corny in certain parts but overall I really enjoyed it.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Margaritas are so good.

You don't get to say the plural of margaritas, considering you've never consumed two full ones.

You're a margarita.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    You know, I've hated westerns all my life. I don't now if its because my dad loves westerns or because I'm a yankee or what, but they just never did it for me.

yeah i never liked them either

i think that they centrally feature themes that i kind of disagree with on some level

For older westerns is mostly the racism that bugs me.

Watch The Searchers or Broken Arrow. Broken Arrow is somewhat responsible for the white man guilt theme but it doesn't really fall into the trap that every other movie with that theme has.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    You know, I've hated westerns all my life. I don't now if its because my dad loves westerns or because I'm a yankee or what, but they just never did it for me.

i think that they centrally feature themes that i kind of disagree with on some level

How so?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    that sounds really, really interesting, and hellish to produce as a real physical game.

can you move to adjacent hexes that are radically different in height, with walkers?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JAMESKEENAN

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damn, Greed Corp sounds awesome. Too bad I could never get any of my friends to play it.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The problem is that I do not know which gas stations around here have slushy machines...

And driving to a gas station, walking inside, looking for a slushy machine, and then turning around and leaving if there is none may be...weird.

_J_ on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    also, deadwood

duh

Deadwood is amazing but it's almost not even in the Western genre. It's in the setting not the genre. You know what I mean?

There are some excellent old John Wayne ones, nobody beats Clint Eastwood's evil eye, but I think I actually enjoy some of the more recent movies most of all.

Unforgiven might be the best Western ever made.

desperado is pretty good

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've pretty much given up any aspirations of getting a Phd after my teacher told us today that after 10 years of paying off her student loans she still owes 35k...

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Broken Arrow is somewhat responsible for the white man guilt theme but it doesn't really fall into the trap that every other movie with that theme has.

The movie with John Travolta? :-P

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Boner Stabone committed suicide...

I am sad....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Taranis wrote: »
    I saw Second City perform in Atlanta a few days before Christmas. One of their improvisers was black.

He was the funniest/best improviser.

yeah this is usually the case. white people love doing improv, they think it's all fun and wacky and different and shit so it tends to attract some crazies.

at an improv festival it's usually a game of spot the minority.

Really good improv is pretty tough. You really have to have a pretty good idea of how the other people are going to think if you're going to actually produce something funny.

yeah, it can take years

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes J.

Don't want some stranger thinking you're weird now.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    that sounds really, really interesting, and hellish to produce as a real physical game.

can you move to adjacent hexes that are radically different in height, with walkers?

Yeah, the only thing height really functions as is a representation of the HP of the hex, it has no other gameplay effects.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've pretty much given up any aspirations of getting a Phd after my teacher told us today that after 10 years of paying off her student loans she still owes 35k...

holy fuck.

That's like the opposite of sensible.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    are you shitting me

shrek 4

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Never seen liberty vance, but I've seen Tomb Stone, The Magnificent 7, Shane, and all sorts of classic and highly rated westerns. Just never did it for me. The pacing is always too slow then too fast.

I like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but not a whole lot.

Tombstone is a very, very mediocre Western. It's the white bread of westerns. But you didn't enjoy Shane? I know a lot of people tend to be dismissive of it because at it's surface it's a very stereotypical western but then again a lot of people seem to miss the romance between Shane and Marian.

Woody Allen discusses it's greatness rather better then I can.

Maybe I'll revisit them.

What's some more I should be on the lookout for?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Yeah but maybe she isn't good at managing her debt, or went to a really expensive school? You don't have all the facts.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    The problem is that I do not know which gas stations around here have slushy machines...

And driving to a gas station, walking inside, looking for a slushy machine, and then turning around and leaving if there is none may be...weird.

Chevron, Mac's, or 7-11 gas stations.

James on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

haha yes

also there is such a glut of phds vs # of tenure positions at good schools

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Broken Arrow is somewhat responsible for the white man guilt theme but it doesn't really fall into the trap that every other movie with that theme has.

The movie with John Travolta? :-P

You know people in these parts don't take kindly to confusing Jimmy Stewart and John Travolta.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

How so?

mmm i think i don't really care for the rugged individualism or the violence or the mythology of the virtuous gunslinger or any of that. like i enjoyed unforgiven because i felt like it kind of subverted the mythology of the west.

the west was almost completely a vicious amoral shithole, and i guess i don't want movies to pretty it up.

i do like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid though. I just can't help myself.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah but maybe she isn't good at managing her debt, or went to a really expensive school? You don't have all the facts.

Possibly. But the fact is that she's a very intelligent teacher that teaches at a pretty decent school and man whaaat 35k still.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    James wrote: »

This is Illinois.

We don't have any of your fancy shmancy chain gas stations.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There was a movie called that with John Travolta. But it was neither a Western nor good.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i don't think i could date a bad improviser

they'd have to be either okay at it or not do it at all

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Get a PhD in a Canadian school.

James on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

haha yes

also there is such a glut of phds vs # of tenure positions at good schools

I hear there's an opening in alabama...

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Possibly. But the fact is that she's a very intelligent teacher that teaches at a pretty decent school and man whaaat 35k still.

YOu need a sugar mama.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Is the debt crippling? Does it prevent her from living comfortably? If she can live comfortably while still paying it off then it doesn't matter does it?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i would totally play this xbla board game with other PAers

how much is it?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Possibly, I'm heavily leaning just toward ploughing into internships after college and working as an editor or a technical writer.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Everyone knows that Custer died at little Big Horn.

What this book presupposes is...

...maybe he didn't?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010

what subject?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

How so?

mmm i think i don't really care for the rugged individualism or the violence or the mythology of the virtuous gunslinger or any of that. like i enjoyed unforgiven because i felt like it kind of subverted the mythology of the west.

the west was almost completely a vicious amoral shithole, and i guess i don't want movies to pretty it up.

i do like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid though. I just can't help myself.

Like half the Western movies ever made are basically about how ugly the West was, to an extreme extent that is worse than reality even was. Sure the older movies romanticize it, and some of those are great nonetheless, but around the time Clint Eastwood hit the scene, there was a huge change in the way filmmakers approached the genre.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i would totally play this xbla board game with other PAers

how much is it?

800 points, I believe.

Sig: Yes! Why can't we go back to the times where writers just had wealthy patrons who liked their stuff and covered their living expenses?

Sarksus: I don't know, I don't pry much into my teacher's private lives.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    James wrote: »

This is Illinois.

We don't have any of your fancy shmancy chain gas stations.

I assure you, you have a 7-11 somewhere, even if it's not a gas station.

James on
This discussion has been closed.