Options

Bad Company 2: If this were your job, you'd be a very rich man.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    ITT: Aoi doesn't consider us his friends. :(

guy hates all of us

fucker owns the game and was giving me a hard time last night about it

DAMN YOU AOI!!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    should probably put the guide for changing FOV in the OP

Jaunty, make it so.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

It looks like higher FOVs give more viewing space on the sides.

The viewing in game seems a bit tunnel-visioned. Will FOV help with this?

BTW, you mean an FOV setting of 108 will mimic the standard for a 16:10 monitor or 67.5 will give 108 on a 16:10?

The latter.

i.e. *everyone* should set it to 67.5 no matter what monitor they're using if they want a horizontal FOV as close to the traditional PC FPS FOV, because the game will adjust your horizontal FOV based on your monitor width. At least that's my understanding.

What is the default?

55, which gives 73.3 FOV on a 4:3 monitor and 88 on a 16:10 and 97.8 on a 16:9

Hmm, maybe I should play this on my 16:9 monitor instead....

Dracil on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The fucking server browser doesn't work and I can't connect to any server anywhere.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So to unlock this M1 Garand, I have 1943 and a bunch of achievements but no M1. If I fire up 1943 and play a couple of matches does that unlock it?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »

guy hates all of us

DAMN YOU AOI!!

I own the 360 version. You're one of the geese on the PC. Silly silly Hardtarget.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

BTW, you mean an FOV setting of 108 will mimic the standard for a 16:10 monitor or 67.5 will give 108 on a 16:10?

The latter.

i.e. *everyone* should set it to 67.5 no matter what monitor they're using if they want a horizontal FOV as close to the traditional PC FPS FOV, because the game will adjust your horizontal FOV based on your monitor width. At least that's my understanding.

What is the default?
    default is 55
    a setting of 64 is appropriate for 16:10 monitors is my understanding

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So to unlock this M1 Garand, I have 1943 and a bunch of achievements but no M1. If I fire up 1943 and play a couple of matches does that unlock it?

Go to veteran.battlefield.com

Register yourself.

Register your previous BF game. Make sure you are using the same EA account that you are using in BC2.

That should do it.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Daemonion wrote: »
    Liquidator wrote: »
    So I went to veteran.battlefield.com to try and unlock the Garand, digged out my Battlefield 1942/Road to Rome/Vietnam boxes and put in the CD-keys, but it says that each one has already been claimed. I don't know how that's possible since this is the first time I've been on the veteran website, and I've never used the CD-keys besides from playing all of the other games back in the day. WTF?
    Has a friend ever borrowed your CD keys? It sounds like someone else used them.

If you shoot EA a technical support email maybe they'll be able to help.

This has been discussed thoroughly. No one used his keys, its just a shitty system. Don't use the numpad to enter numbers. Use a different browser (Internet Explorer worked best for me.) And be persistent.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The latter.

What is the default?
    default is 55
    a setting of 64 is appropriate for 16:10 monitors is my understanding

It would be if 55 was not narrower than normal and if it was horizontal FOV as opposed to a vertical FOV.

Dracil on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doesnt seem to work for 1943 or BC2 yet. Wheres my garand. :(

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

guy hates all of us

DAMN YOU AOI!!

I own the 360 version. You're one of the geese on the PC. Silly silly Hardtarget.

:(

Actually everything started to click last night after you stopped messaging me (after i made a good point mr goes away during arguments!) once the servers settled down. Played with Syphon for a bit and had a great time blowing shit up and then played with a real life friend for a bit. The 32 player cap is really nice. On the PC it really feels like a BF2 sequel. (with that said I loved 43 on the consoles so i'm sure it also plays fantastically on the 360) I like how Dice actually dedicated some resources to the PC version instead of just making a crappy port

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    CorriganX wrote: »

it has never worked for 43 after months and months of dice saying they were going to fix that, grr

My BF rank is 5 though :smugdog:

:D

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Span, have you ever gotten a game and decided you were going to find out anything on your own? What did you do before the internet?

Well Jesus tap-dancing Christ, excuse me for looking through the main menu and asking a simple question after not seeing it.

So how did you troll before the internet? Did you push down small children in the sandbox?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    CorriganX wrote: »

it has never worked for 43 after months and months of dice saying they were going to fix that, grr

My BF rank is 5 though :smugdog:

:D

Oh. Well my copies of Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam are LONG gone so oh well, no 1940's rifle for me.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    AT4 shouldn't take long at all. I got mine yesterday, only got to play with it a couple of times though.

How'd you like the AT4 compared to the RPG? I'm antsy to have a more effective way to take down helicopters. Even AA guns are hit or miss. Literally, I suppose.

Reload seemed a little faster (actually its fire / throw away / pull new one out of your butt)

Didn't really test how maneuverable the rockets are, but they seem slightly more maneuverable than the wire-guided rocket in BF2. Not sure if you'll be able to pull turn-around shots with it though. Also not sure about relative damage, will have to test that.

As for shooting down choppers, it'll certainly be easier than blind-firing the other rockets against a moving chopper. However, judging distance is still going to be a bit of a challenge. I can see the tracer dart to continue to be of some use, but I'll probably be rockin' the AT4 from now on unless it turns out that it sucks for damage.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I <3 the tracer dart. Thing racks up so many support points it's disgusting.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    strategery wrote: »

i really really like how you get points just for even planting it

in fact in general i'm loving the point system, you get points for fucking EVERYTHING.

edit - strat did you get the PC version? If so what's your EA name, i'll add you to the acradian list we have

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tracer dart on chopper = dead chopper, even if the chopper gets me right after, someone else is gonna shoot it down.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wonder why they went with the AT-4 as the guided missile instead of the Javelin or something. Would have been interesting to have a line of unguided missiles (RPG7, AT-4) and then the AT guided weapons (javelin for example) then dedicated AA launchers (stinger). Makes the engineer pick and choose the launcher.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    What's the difference between the two Alt Fires? I had one, and then I unlocked another at the end of the vehicle sections.

Sheep on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

in fact in general i'm loving the point system, you get points for fucking EVERYTHING.

edit - strat did you get the PC version? If so what's your EA name, i'll add you to the acradian list we have

Ya, I must admit that focusing on being a hidden spotter is sometimes better than directly trying to kill opponents. With a kill, you are left in a vulnerable position and have a bit of difficulty with getting more than the 50 points since you are basically exposed. As a spotter, you can continue to help and help give your partner a shot of getting out of a spot like described above.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, I've no vested interest, I'm originally from Pittsburgh... Pitt grad... but I digress.
    hi5 to both, duder

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    should probably put the guide for changing FOV in the OP

Jaunty, make it so.

Where is it?

Not seeing it in the OP yet, and don't see it elsewhere in the thread.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    What's the difference between the two Alt Fires? I had one, and then I unlocked another at the end of the vehicle sections.

I don't think anything. The pre-order vehicle perks were simply having unlocks earlier than usual.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

360, son. He made the right choice.

Aoi on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

I don't think anything. The pre-order vehicle perks were simply having unlocks earlier than usual.

Ah, okay.

Now I'm even more confused. I got the vehicle perks but not the other pre order stuff

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Kills score you tons of points, but the reality is the support points are where the big money is. They aren't immediate huge point boosts but they add up insanely quick. Revive points can be gotten rapidly, health pack and ammo pack points are insane if a lot of people use your box, and things like assists for tracer darts are outrageous when you take advantage of them. Their point system really is ingenious in how it promotes team work by rewarded players who help them team more so than those who help themselves. I love it.

And negatory there good sir. I bought 360. All my friends play it, and I've pretty much put the PC to rest.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Kills score you tons of points, but the reality is the support points are where the big money is. They aren't immediate huge point boosts but they add up insanely quick. Revive points can be gotten rapidly, health pack and ammo pack points are insane if a lot of people use your box, and things like assists for tracer darts are outrageous when you take advantage of them. Their point system really is ingenious in how it promotes team work by rewarded players who help them team more so than those who help themselves. I love it.

This kind of logic is what made MAG fun for me when I was doing the beta test. Help your team, reap the points. The incentive it gives makes it more likely that people will support and do their role instead of lone wolfing it.

Marikir on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, this topic has me drooling. I might have to stop by the store tonight..

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tracer dart on chopper = dead chopper, even if the chopper gets me right after, someone else is gonna shoot it down.

I was wondering this. I ate a lot of lead for shotting vehicles with the tracer. Every time I bit it I wondered if the tracer stayed on after I died. Since the respawn screen is so awful and doesn't let you see ANY text of any kind (chat, kill log, etc.) there's no way to tell.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »

This kind of logic is what made MAG fun for me when I was doing the beta test. Help your team, reap the points. The incentive it gives makes it more likely that people will support and do their role instead of lone wolfing it.
    i'm really glad i decided ot only rent mag, this game does everything mag did but better (well except with 32 players)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »

Yea I liked MAG quite a bit, but there was just something off about it. I had a hard time getting into it for more than a few games. Whereas I fired up battlefield last night, and next thing I knew my fiance was pestering me to come to bed.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

And negatory there good sir. I bought 360. All my friends play it, and I've pretty much put the PC to rest.

Woah, now that's something I didn't expect to ever see.

Aoi on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok so I'm thinking about getting this, but I need to know: is the man on mans shooting in this actually any good, or is it the same floaty feeling that every BF game has?

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    :(

now i see why tremor bought it for both systems (well and that he has a money tree)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Boogdud wrote: »

I was wondering this. I ate a lot of lead for shotting vehicles with the tracer. Every time I bit it I wondered if the tracer stayed on after I died. Since the respawn screen is so awful and doesn't let you see ANY text of any kind (chat, kill log, etc.) there's no way to tell.
    The best tracer moment I ever had was a result of me placing one then dying.

It was in the beta, and we were at the third area on Port Valdez where I was on the attacking team. I went to prime the charge on the MCOM closest to the helipad, but before I did so, I tagged the Apache. Right after I set the charge, some guy comes up from behind me and noob tubes me from basically point blank and then runs off for the apache because he was dumb as hell. So I go and respawn back at the staging area (near the second set of MCOMs) for my team and locked onto the apache immediately and shot it down right as the MCOM I activated blew up.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    During the demo, I tagged the Blackhawk. As I was lowering my gun and raising my own RPG, I saw three other RPGs suddenly rise up, home in, and swat it out of the sky.

I was very amused.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

next thing you know jdarksun will say the same thing and the world will implode

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Now for something else you probably didn't expect to see.

I got engaged on Christmas Eve. Due to this I no longer have the funds I used too that allowed me to keep my system up to date. So rather than having to sit here and play catch up every couple years with my PC hardware, and segregating myself away from my massive live friends list(which is exponentially larger than my list of PC playing friends), I decided it was best to pick a system and stick with it. In the end the financially responsible way to go was with my consoles(PS3 and 360). The perks of being a PC gamer are quickly dwindling. It's just not the same as it was 10 years ago, and frankly STEAM is the last bastion of PC gaming anyway. And if for any reason that fails bye bye PC gaming in my opinion.

On top of the fact that the Bad Company games were designed with consoles in mind, but with respect given to the PC, it wasn't a difficult choice. That and, lets face it, big ass bean bag couch + 46" LED HDTV and rockin surround sound beats a desk chair, headphones, and a 24" wide screen monitor any day.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
This discussion has been closed.