As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GRINDHOUSE

• Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love Tarantino movies because theres always a moral lesson.

The moral lesson in Pulp Fiction is "Marcellus Wallace does not like to be fucked by anyone but Mrs. Wallace."

The moral in Kill Bill was "if you're going to kill the world's foremost female assassin shoot her twice, for fuck's sake. Two in the fucking head."

The moral in Deathproof was "always give Kurt Russel a lapdance or he'll kill you and all your friends."

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Yes, they are.

They aren't making enough money off the double feature since people are put off by the length of the films.

Also because you touch yourself at night.

(why did I write no? Man I just woke up and my brain is catching up)

Put off by the length, or put off by the fact that it was released on fucking Easter Weekend? You know, a weekend where everyone is spending time with their kids and families, and I'm sure during this time the thought of "hey everyone lets go see a gore filled exploitation fest of a movie" comes up in 1 out of every 3 households.

Look at what did well in the box office, and look at the weekend Grindhouse came out. I mean for god sake, this is such a fuckin knee jerk reaction it's not even funny. If they wanted a better opening weekend, they should have premiered it THIS weekend.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you're a fuckin knee jerk

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    strategery wrote: »
    Yes, they are.

They aren't making enough money off the double feature since people are put off by the length of the films.

Also because you touch yourself at night.

(why did I write no? Man I just woke up and my brain is catching up)

Put off by the length, or put off by the fact that it was released on fucking Easter Weekend? You know, a weekend where everyone is spending time with their kids and families, and I'm sure during this time the thought of "hey everyone lets go see a gore filled exploitation fest of a movie" comes up in 1 out of every 3 households.

Look at what did well in the box office, and look at the weekend Grindhouse came out. I mean for god sake, this is such a fuckin knee jerk reaction it's not even funny. If they wanted a better opening weekend, they should have premiered it THIS weekend.

Because a holiday about a man coming back from the dead has nothing to do with zombies.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just saw Grindhouse today.

Oh my god, how does one cram so much awesome into one (technically two) movie-film-for-theaters.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you're a fuckin knee jerk

Your face is a knee jerk.

JJ on
  • Options
    Blue Is BeautifulBlue Is Beautiful Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    guys, it wasn't that great. it looked like a lot of the movies at Resfest.

Blue Is Beautiful on
    no, you can't.
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, are we still talking about the leg-gun up in here?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited April 2007
    Personally I really enjoyed both films; though I would have placed Planet Terror seccond, it just screws with the pacing to have all the action up front then move to the slow paced suspence (ok not really but that's the genre he was going for) film. I wouldn't have minded the drawn out begining of Death Proof nearly as much if I hadn't already been sitting for long; though the last ten minutes were fantastic.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    that was a great movie

i loved both movies, even though deathproof seemed a little wonky pacing-wise

but yeah, other than the fact that we missed hobo with a shotgun for some reason my gf and i both loved it

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think Hobo with a Shotgun was in all releases of it. Like only certain countries. It wasn't in mine, although we got there a tad late.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    it was in the canadian reels except not in my theatre for some reason

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    it was before the other regular previews or during them at least

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So Disturbia is #1 at the box office

Sure feels great living in a country where a dumbed-down remake of Rear Window and a family comedy starring Ice Cube sell better than Grindhouse

Green on
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    grindhouse requires a lot of dedication for a movie who's trailer primarily involves a chick with a machine gun for a leg

Drano on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Whats wrong with disturbia? It looks goods. So what if it's a remake?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Filler wrote: »

It is

1. a remake

2. a modernized remake

3. a modernized remake for teenagers

Which one of those sounds any good at all to you

Green on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

because it's shitting on one of the best suspense movies ever made?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Green wrote: »

It is

1. a remake

2. a modernized remake

3. a modernized remake for teenagers

Which one of those sounds any good at all to you

1. So was Oceans 11 and that was good.

2. Again, so was Oceans 11.

3. So because it stars teens its a teen flick?

I'm assuming you saw it, or else you're just blowin smoke. The critics seem to think it's a good movie. Yahoo is giving it a critic B and users are giving it a B+. Scott (whoever the fuck that is) and roeper both gave it thumbs up. Sounds like a pretty good movie.

And for godsake, lets end this stupid, "It's shitting on the orignal!" stuff. As long as the original is still there, it's not shitting on it. Unless the movie takes the same basic plot (which it does) and then purpisely makes it as bad as possible, theres no shitting going on.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So because it stars teens its a teen flick?

I'm assuming you saw it, or else you're just blowin smoke. The critics seem to think it's a good movie. Yahoo is giving it a critic B and users are giving it a B+. Scott (whoever the fuck that is) and roeper both gave it thumbs up. Sounds like a pretty good movie.

No

If it changes a vital plot premise so teenagers can relate to it then it is a teen flick

Also I find it highly doubtful that your sole judge on a movie's quality is "WELL THE CRITICS LIKED IT OLOL"

Green on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It stars teens because they needed a male lead and an adult male spying on neighbors would be considered extremely creepy.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    It stars teens because they needed a male lead and an adult male spying on neighbors would be considered extremely creepy.

UH......

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No

If it changes a vital plot premise so teenagers can relate to it then it is a teen flick

Also I find it highly doubtful that your sole judge on a movie's quality is "WELL THE CRITICS LIKED IT OLOL"

I didn't say iy was. I said the critics seem to think it was a good movie, and thats a pretty good indication that it is a good movie. I also said the average users thought it was a good movie, and I guess that would be better to go by because they're more likely to include people with similar tastes as us.

So did you see the movie?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Javen wrote: »

UH......

Yeah

I'm wondering where that came from, too

Green on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    do people really get scared at movies or do they just fake it to make me feel left out

Drano on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No

I didn't say iy was. I said the critics seem to think it was a good movie, and thats a pretty good indication that it is a good movie. I also said the average users thought it was a good movie, and I guess that would be better to go by because they're more likely to include people with similar tastes as us.

It's at a 67% on rottentomatoes. The majority of the negative reviews list exactly my grievances as to why it is butt, and the positive ones are glowing gems such as
    Unoriginal but still effective, and shows anew how well-suited themes of voyeurism (we all like to watch) are to movies, especially thrillers.
    There isn't much in the way of surprise plot twists. But the predictability is offset by the movie's energy.
    No sense kicking this thriller for plot holes and lapses in logic when the action, suspense and flirty sex come at such a lively clip.
    May not make kids rent Rear Window but it's still better than the Christopher Reeve remake where they never even revealed where the killer hid the body.
    OK, so Rear Window was better plotted and more richly apportioned than this update. And so what if you can see every plot twist bearing down like a rush-hour commuter express? Disturbia still boasts a scrappy charm.

sounds like a fucking winner to me

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No

No, and I don't plan to

But since I apparently can't form an opinion without seeing it, I seem to be in quite the conundrum!

Green on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Drano wrote: »
    do people really get scared at movies or do they just fake it to make me feel left out

The Birds, Jaws, and Event Horizon are the only movies that have ever scared me at all.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fuck yes Event Horizon

I've seen such beautiful things

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited April 2007
    also I don't count cheap startles as scared

I mean those movies fucking scared me as in I still get nervous whenever I see flocks of birds and I don't swim in the ocean or rivers or lakes or anything but the damn pool ever

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    "It" scared me but that was mostly because my older brother was scared and i got scared when he was scared when I was little for some reason.
    not since then though.

Drano on
  • Options
    RpegRpeg bear at picnic table SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    guys, Death Proof was awesome

that was the most fun I've had at the movies in years. the crash scene

Rpeg on
    Steam: FairyDick
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    the book was hells of fucked up

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rpeg wrote: »
    guys, Death Proof was awesome

that was the most fun I've had at the movies in years. the crash scene

man, I was sad when the hot latina chick bit it :(

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    that was necessary

your sadness

it was needed

for Connection to the Film

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    whoa, is that how it works?

Drano on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Drano wrote: »
    "It" scared me but that was mostly because my older brother was scared and i got scared when he was scared when I was little for some reason.
    not since then though.

God the second half of that movie was so awful

Green on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've never seen the movie, read the book though

does the movie have the sewer gang-bang and the World Turtle

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i dont think so.
    i was like 6 though

Drano on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There was a guy in my acting class today. He was bad mouthing Grindhouse. He hasn't seen it of course. The guy was going on and on about how stupid it looked. "A girl with a gun on her leg, that's dumb! That doesn't make any sense." Then I tried getting him to understand the concept. He would have none of it. Then he moved onto Death Proof. Apparently he thought the car was magic or something, because of how Kurt Russel phrased his car's ability to not kill him in a crash. At that point I was at a loss for words and was trying to collect enough sanity to counter argue him. This wouldn't be, because he then unleased this gem, "This looks even dumber than Kill Bill!" I was getting frustrated. "Kill Bill was a stupid movie!" On and on he went. Then someone asked him if he liked Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction. No. Of course not. Those were terrible films.

At that point I realized that I was dealing with some sort of half-human, more beast than man, that no amount of reason or logic would sway. We weren't going to find a common ground on this day.

And that is why an Ice Cube film did better than Grindhouse.

Penguin Incarnate on