As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DPM Fierce [chat]

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    [chaaaaat], I'm hoooome!

and drunk!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm ok with ugly, fat or old people having sex just please stop putting it up on xtube.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think it's important to question why we as a society revile certain things, or hold certain views.

It's certainly possible that we may find that certain views are justified, but, still worth questioning.

Anyway, time for me to watch some starcraft.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm ok with ugly, fat or old people having sex just please stop putting it up on xtube.

Civil War: I'm with Cass

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

A boombox is not a toy.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

But what am I going to do on Friday nights now?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Hell, I don't like Sartre all that much.

:(

Existentialism is anti-humanism.

Why?

because if existentialism could be roped into a single belief, it's that we are existential beings (dasein, in my preferred terminology) that is pure possibility and utter nothingness. Thus, to align oneself with humanism, which has a whole slew of beliefs, even if it is the mere statement "I am human" is an anathema to an existentialist.

i thought that the sole common belief of "existentialism" was that the experience of personal existence is directly unknowable to others.

that doesn't preclude the possibility of empathy or sympathy or humanism i wouldn't think

That's egoism.

Existentialism is essentially the motto of "existentia before essentia," that a thing IS before it is "an X." The self, whether it is Dasein or Sartre's transcendental ego or whathaveyou, is only its IS, it is nothing else. To realize this is supposed to be liberating.

@Hach: no, I haven't. Of course the English hate Derrida. That's like what they do.

They are slaves to common sense.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I think you have even more silly views on stereotypes and equality than Sarks, though.

Taking a class this semester on body as spectacle that includes queer theory and crip theory. What happens in that video is like, a perfectly classic example of desexualizing old/disabled people.

I know you've been taking that class, which I think is playing a major part in you taking these helpful ideas to an utterly silly level.

If the Boombox video bothers you because making a joke about old people fucking is "reinforcing negative stereotypes about old people and sex," you are taking that shit too far.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/grad-student-deconstructs-takeout-menu,85/
    At some point, you have to stop looking at every thing for reinforcing negative stereotypes unless you want to hate everything.

I don't "hate" Boombox.

Pointing out the use of a stereotype in a work of art doesn't inherently mean I hate the work of art. In fact, in some cases I may appreciate that stereotype - that's what camp is about, for instance. It's highly contextual.

If you said, "Yeah, Boombox reinforces a stereotype that old people are desexualized but I like the video anyway," I'd sort of nod and shrug my shoulders and go "Okay, I get that." What I disagree with are people saying either (a) "that stereotype isn't there" when it clearly is or (b) "there's nothing wrong with that stereotype."

From my perspective this is a pretty dispassionate conversation. I'm not wharrrrrgarbling here, and from what I can see neither are Sarks or Inqy.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Like, for instance, I hate Dennett. I wish he'd never published a word.

However, I would be incredibly embarrassed if the nyt put out similar obituary for him.

edit* but you are right -- his defense of de man is probably the worst section in his CV. It is interesting though, since Derrida experienced a great deal of anti-Semitism in his life.

:x

Though, let's face it, I like Dennett pretty much specifically because I'm a scientist and not a philosopher.

What do you like about Dennett?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Why?

because if existentialism could be roped into a single belief, it's that we are existential beings (dasein, in my preferred terminology) that is pure possibility and utter nothingness. Thus, to align oneself with humanism, which has a whole slew of beliefs, even if it is the mere statement "I am human" is an anathema to an existentialist.

i thought that the sole common belief of "existentialism" was that the experience of personal existence is directly unknowable to others.

that doesn't preclude the possibility of empathy or sympathy or humanism i wouldn't think

It leads to all beings as completely unknowable isolated entities in and of themselves. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Which leads to empathetic and humanistic complications.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man I thought we had a philosophy thread

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

@Hach: no, I haven't. Of course the English hate Derrida. That's like what they do.

They are slaves to common sense.

These things happen when 70% of your days are overcast.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I honestly can't imagine trying to get through Being and Time without an awesome philosophy TA who's willing to spend 3-5 hours a week discussing it chapter by chapter with me until I start to grasp it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh wow, did I walk in on a conversation that was started by a Boombox reference and then use a boombox reference?

This is like some sort of major social goof. I'm truly embarassed.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh wow, did I walk in on a conversation that was started by a Boombox reference and then use a boombox reference?

Naw, it's cool. Did you have fun getting drunk?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    The self, whether it is Dasein or Sartre's transcendental ego or whathaveyou, is only its IS, it is nothing else. To realize this is supposed to be liberating.

"supposed to be liberating", indeed.

"It is only its is" EUREKA!

srsly?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I did. And am!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Why?

It leads to all beings as completely unknowable isolated entities in and of themselves. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Which leads to empathetic and humanistic complications.

This is completely wrong, at least wrt to actual existentialism, i.e., Heidegger.

Dasein finds itself with worldhood already disclosed -- it is impossible not to know a common world. The Other is completely knowable, because it is merely nothingness existing-towards worldhood. It is only cartesian egoism that prevents us from knowing other.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God damnit, how did it become 1:11AM.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    okay so i am pretty tired of being told that i have to find unattractive people and situations attractive

There's a middle ground between finding something "attractive" and finding it "repulsive."
    or that my revulsion at seeing some things that i don't care to see is like an instrument of oppression man

Disgust and revulsion have typically been ways by which dominant classes express their disapproval of subjugated classes. Sex is a natural subset of human behavior, to say that you find one class of people repulsive when they engage in a natural subset of human behavior would imply that you find either the behavior or the class of people inherently repulsive. To say "I find this intersection of [class] and [behavior] repulsive, but not [behavior] or [class] in isolation" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

i find people with long beards eating soup repulsive

because that shit is like a soup sponge

i find fat and/ or hairy people naked kind of gross

though i don't have a problem with them clothed

i don't like to see other people pooping or, say, vomiting

even though everyone does it! it is a subset of natural behavior!

i mean at the end of the day, feral, i don't think we have a great deal of control over what we find aesthetically or sexually attractive

when a gay kid admits to himself that he is gay, it doesn't mean that he is rejecting the humanity of the female class of humanity and thus reinforcing an ancient gender-based social structure. he is just ceding to his natural attraction to dudes.

what i am basically saying is that i don't think that there is much legitimacy to tut-tutting people for what they are attracted to, or on the other side of the coin, what they are not attracted to or even repulsed by!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Asking questions and questioning values is important, but at a certain point (whether level of specificity or otherwise) it just seems to suck so much joy out of everything that it isn't worth it.

Maybe it's just me though---I know that part of the reason I have a hard time enjoying fiction is that even years after being away from intense literature classes I still get caught up in the minutiae.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I honestly can't imagine trying to get through Being and Time without an awesome philosophy TA who's willing to spend 3-5 hours a week discussing it chapter by chapter with me until I start to grasp it.

Understanding Being and Time requires three things:

1) Heidegger dictionary
    2) Gin
    3) A copy of mein kampf

_J_ on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I did. And am!

Excellent.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I need a gun and a 'THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK' to get anything changed around here.

Also, couldn't find any punching bags.

Plan B!

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Time waits for no man

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Time waits for no man

Time waits for no, man.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

This is completely wrong, at least wrt to actual existentialism, i.e., Heidegger.

Dasein finds itself with worldhood already disclosed -- it is impossible not to know a common world. The Other is completely knowable, because it is merely nothingness existing-towards worldhood. It is only cartesian egoism that prevents us from knowing other.

doot dee doo

we are all made of the same energy-matter as everything else. separation from the environment is an illusion. we are the universe understanding itself.

derp a derp.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

doot dee doo

we are all made of the same energy-matter as everything else. separation from the environment is an illusion. we are the universe understanding itself.

derp a derp.

Are you making fun of me? I should magically appear over there and then manually plant my fist in your face.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's nice to know I don't need to visit it to hear all about the seemingly endless supply of fossilized old Marxists who blather out reams of incomprehensible pointlessness about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    op. 1:11 AM

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    we are all made of the same energy-matter as everything else.

Interesting thesis.

Proof?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Time waits for no man

Time waits for no, man.

Time, waits for no man

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    [chaaaaat], I'm hoooome!

and drunk!

what did you drink?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    what i am basically saying is that i don't think that there is much legitimacy to tut-tutting people for what they are attracted to, or on the other side of the coin, what they are not attracted to or even repulsed by!

I am the king of tut-tutting

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [chaaaaat], I'm hoooome!

and drunk!

what did you drink?

Nothing to get excited about, sadly. Just a lot of beer.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

It's nice to know I don't need to visit it to hear all about the seemingly endless supply of fossilized old Marxists who blather out reams of incomprehensible pointlessness about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Marx was an economist, not a philosopher.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I am the king of tut-tutting

tsk tsk

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Like, for instance, I hate Dennett. I wish he'd never published a word.

However, I would be incredibly embarrassed if the nyt put out similar obituary for him.

edit* but you are right -- his defense of de man is probably the worst section in his CV. It is interesting though, since Derrida experienced a great deal of anti-Semitism in his life.

:x

Though, let's face it, I like Dennett pretty much specifically because I'm a scientist and not a philosopher.

What do you like about Dennett?

Of course, his accessibility is wonderful to me. I'm a fan of his conception of free will, and what he has to say about determinism. He seems to be honestly concerned with inter-relating his ideas with empirical evidence and scientific concepts. I don't know of any other philosopher who has incorporated the concept of evolution into their ideas in a satisfactory way.

Winky on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    who makes a steve reich compilation called phases without including piano or violin phases

why would you do that

it's right there in the name

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »

Marx was an economist, not a philosopher.

This is dumb.

Hachface on
This discussion has been closed.