As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DPM Fierce [chat]

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We're all silly in our own ways.

I, for example, like Ace of Base. It is very silly music.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    music is so wonderful

perhaps I should return to it

Elendil on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm considering picking up the copy of Being and Time I bought a while ago and actually start reading it.

Winky on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    there's so much bullshitting going on here. Like, epic levels of never telling the truth.

I ENJOY TALKING HEADS THIER MUSIC IS ENJOYABLE.

yes they are a great example of an enjoyable arty post-punk band and wait a minute what are you saying here?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i may or may not been listening to siouxsie and the banshees on repeat all day.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    So, we lost power for 10 hours. That was kinda lame.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    @DUE: I have no idea what you are talking about. Derrida, by all accounts, was a pretty fantastic person.

Indeed, he was a DICK to argue against, as John Searle found out, because he would pour over every little word and turn them all against you and he would rather deliciously oscillate between attacking you with classical metaphysics and then taking your metaphysical arguments and deconstructing them, but that's just intellectual rigor, in my opinion.

But, yeah, you're wrong about him being a Douche. Derrida was a pretty remarkable person.

I made an edit. Egotist is a better word.

Like you said he was a dick to argue against. Dick/douche. Same deal.

figuratively and literally lol.

His defense of Paul de Man was a really embarrassing moment by all accounts.

I personally haven't read them, but I trust my derrida prof when he said that they were an attempt by derrida to try to use his theories in a realm he had no experience.

I'm guessing that your knowledge of his articles on de Man after his death are the whole NYT hatchet jobs. The northeast press had a pretty big hate for derrida? Have you read his obituary from the new york times? It's an absolutely disgraceful piece. Even if I weren't a big derrida student, I would be embarrassed that my preferred newspaper put out such an aggressive and bellicose obituary.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Wow...that's.

That's kind of bizarre that you dug up that link.

Only because that and what Sarks said about Twilight made me say that I have been annoyed at the ridiculous levels some people have taken this shit.

I mean I like those dudes, which is the only reason I brought it up. When _J_ says something I think is silly I don't mention it.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    there's so much bullshitting going on here. Like, epic levels of never telling the truth.

About what

Who works
    What happens today
    What agreements have been made
    When we are visiting the bank
    How other volunteers can help
    The financial state of this organisation
    Loads of other stuff.

I'm seriously vile this morning, please direct me to the nearest punching bag before I just walk down the street and start calling people sisterfuckers.

Aldo on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I think you have even more silly views on stereotypes and equality than Sarks, though.

Taking a class this semester on body as spectacle that includes queer theory and crip theory. What happens in that video is like, a perfectly classic example of desexualizing old/disabled people.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Hell, I don't like Sartre all that much.

:(

Existentialism is anti-humanism.

Why?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OLD PEOPLE SHOULD NOT HAVE SEX

NEITHER SHOULD FAT PEOPLE

OR DISABLED PEOPLE

OR UGLY* PEOPLE

* Please refer to your local cultural guidelines for ugliness

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

mahogany furniture > maple furniture

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Actually I agree with Inquisitor there.

When I watched Boombox I was like gross, old people having sex but then I stopped myself and wondered why I think that and maybe I shouldn't because why can't old people have sex?

Isn't it pretty standard to be at least somewhat repulsed by watching people you don't find very attractive having sex?

Winky on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    @DUE: I have no idea what you are talking about. Derrida, by all accounts, was a pretty fantastic person.

Indeed, he was a DICK to argue against, as John Searle found out, because he would pour over every little word and turn them all against you and he would rather deliciously oscillate between attacking you with classical metaphysics and then taking your metaphysical arguments and deconstructing them, but that's just intellectual rigor, in my opinion.

But, yeah, you're wrong about him being a Douche. Derrida was a pretty remarkable person.

I made an edit. Egotist is a better word.

Like you said he was a dick to argue against. Dick/douche. Same deal.

figuratively and literally lol.

His defense of Paul de Man was a really embarrassing moment by all accounts.

I personally haven't read them, but I trust my derrida prof when he said that they were an attempt by derrida to try to use his theories in a realm he had no experience.

I'm guessing that your knowledge of his articles on de Man after his death are the whole NYT hatchet jobs. The northeast press had a pretty big hate for derrida? Have you read his obituary from the new york times? It's an absolutely disgraceful piece. Even if I weren't a big derrida student, I would be embarrassed that my preferred newspaper put out such an aggressive and bellicose obituary.

I've actually read his defense of De Man. I was not impressed. If it was an experiment, it was in poor taste.

I agree that it would have been more tasteful for the NYT to not print an obituary at all.

Hachface on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elki wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z33tH-JdPDg

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

About what

Who works
    What happens today
    What agreements have been made
    When we are visiting the bank
    How other volunteers can help
    The financial state of this organisation
    Loads of other stuff.

I'm seriously vile this morning, please direct me to the nearest punching bag before I just walk down the street and start calling people sisterfuckers.

Oh for a second I thought you were about to come to Edward Cullen's defense

Sorry that your day has been so awful D: Hopefully you sort out all of this stupidity

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I think you have even more silly views on stereotypes and equality than Sarks, though.

Taking a class this semester on body as spectacle that includes queer theory and crip theory. What happens in that video is like, a perfectly classic example of desexualizing old/disabled people.

I know you've been taking that class, which I think is playing a major part in you taking these helpful ideas to an utterly silly level.

If the Boombox video bothers you because making a joke about old people fucking is "reinforcing negative stereotypes about old people and sex," you are taking that shit too far.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Actually I agree with Inquisitor there.

When I watched Boombox I was like gross, old people having sex but then I stopped myself and wondered why I think that and maybe I shouldn't because why can't old people have sex?

Isn't it pretty standard to be at least somewhat repulsed by watching people you don't find very attractive having sex?

Yep, but the commonality of an attitude does not necessarily excuse it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited April 2010
    okay so i am pretty tired of being told that i have to find unattractive people and situations attractive

or that my revulsion at seeing some things that i don't care to see is like an instrument of oppression man

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

Why?

because if existentialism could be roped into a single belief, it's that we are existential beings (dasein, in my preferred terminology) that is pure possibility and utter nothingness. Thus, to align oneself with humanism, which has a whole slew of beliefs, even if it is the mere statement "I am human" is an anathema to an existentialist.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    OLD PEOPLE SHOULD NOT HAVE SEX

NEITHER SHOULD FAT PEOPLE

OR DISABLED PEOPLE

OR UGLY* PEOPLE

* Please refer to your local cultural guidelines for ugliness

But I like sex :(

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If the Boombox video bothers you because making a joke about old people fucking is "reinforcing negative stereotypes about old people and sex," you are taking that shit too far.

The Boombox video would be defensible only if it were subverting the negative stereotypes; I'm not sure that it is.

Feral on

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I know you've been taking that class, which I think is playing a major part in you taking these helpful ideas to an utterly silly level.

I don't really care for the music or the lyrics. The joke at the end I feel wasn't funny and reinforced negative stereotypes.

I don't even think you know what taking shit too far in this context means. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i was waiting for that :D
    thank you

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Why? I don't find the Boombox video intentionally malicious (I enjoy the video despite my problems with it) but it's there and it should be pointed out what's going on and why it might be going on.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's okay to notice these things

As long as you can turn your brain off at the appropriate times and enjoy it when you need to

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Like, for instance, I hate Dennett. I wish he'd never published a word.

However, I would be incredibly embarrassed if the nyt put out similar obituary for him.

edit* but you are right -- his defense of de man is probably the worst section in his CV. It is interesting though, since Derrida experienced a great deal of anti-Semitism in his life.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

http://www.theonion.com/articles/grad-student-deconstructs-takeout-menu,85/
    At some point, you have to stop looking at every thing for reinforcing negative stereotypes unless you want to hate everything.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

mahogany furniture > maple furniture

You carry a mahogany buffet up 3 flights of stairs and see if you agree.

Pine furniture is clearly the best.

Wait, do they make furniture out of balsa?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    okay so i am pretty tired of being told that i have to find unattractive people and situations attractive

or that my revulsion at seeing some things that i don't care to see is like an instrument of oppression man

No one is saying you have to find it attractive, but, strawmans are fun, I guess.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Why?

because if existentialism could be roped into a single belief, it's that we are existential beings (dasein, in my preferred terminology) that is pure possibility and utter nothingness. Thus, to align oneself with humanism, which has a whole slew of beliefs, even if it is the mere statement "I am human" is an anathema to an existentialist.

i thought that the sole common belief of "existentialism" was that the experience of personal existence is directly unknowable to others.

that doesn't preclude the possibility of empathy or sympathy or humanism i wouldn't think

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

However, I would be incredibly embarrassed if the nyt put out similar obituary for him.

The Economist's obit for Derrida was way more scathing than the NYTimes one was.

Hachface on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Derrida is a genius writer because derrida consciously tries to write in an unspeakable, and possibly even unthinkable, language.

Your definition of "genius" is broken.

I am by no means a Derrida fan but I am kind of dying to hear in detail what you, _J_, have to say about him. I feel like that even when agreeing with you I would disagree with you.

Let us begin with Voice and Phenomenon:
    I do not need the intuition of the object "I" in order to understand the word "I". The possibility of this non-intuition constitutes the Bedeutung as such, the normal Bedeutung as such. When the word "I" appears, the ideality of its Bedeutung, insofar as it is distinct from its object, puts us in the situation that Husserl describes as abnormal: as if the word I were written by someone unknown. Only this situation allows us to account for the fact that we understand the word I not only when its author is unknow, but also when he is a fictional person or dead. The ideality of the Bedeutung has here a value that is structurally testimonial. And just as the value of a perceptual statement depended on neither the actuality nor the possibility of the perception, the signifying value of the I does not depend on the life of the speaking subject. Whether the perception accompanies or not the perceptual statement, whether life as selfe-presence accompanies or not the statment of the I, this is perfectly indifferent to the functioning of the meaning.

Ahem,

"I" is a subjective pronoun which refers to the subject of the sentence of clause in which the "I" appears.
    The end.

The statement "I am living" is accompanied by my being-dead and its possibility requires the possibiilty that I be dead, and the reverse.

No. "I am living" is a sentence, the I referring to the subject of the sentence, the am being the present tense of the verb to-be, and "living" being an adjective, which modifies the pronoun "I". There is no "accompanying" being-dead to the sentence; that is absurd.

Deconstruction

Deconstruction is absurd both in Derrida's thinking it possible and actual.

Finally, Derrida was a literary critic, not a philosopher, and he can go die in a fire.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/grad-student-deconstructs-takeout-menu,85/
    At some point, you have to stop looking at every thing for reinforcing negative stereotypes unless you want to hate everything.

I wasn't looking for it. It's blatant. It's like, impossible to not see.

It would be like if the song at the end decided playing the boombox was bad because women stopped cooking in the kitchen. I mean, it's not some hidden subtext here.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

edit* but you are right -- his defense of de man is probably the worst section in his CV. It is interesting though, since Derrida experienced a great deal of anti-Semitism in his life.

:x

Though, let's face it, I like Dennett pretty much specifically because I'm a scientist and not a philosopher.

Winky on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm considering picking up the copy of Being and Time I bought a while ago and actually start reading it.

Doing this would behoove you.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

There's a middle ground between finding something "attractive" and finding it "repulsive."

Disgust and revulsion have typically been ways by which dominant classes express their disapproval of subjugated classes. Sex is a natural subset of human behavior, to say that you find one class of people repulsive when they engage in a natural subset of human behavior would imply that you find either the behavior or the class of people inherently repulsive. To say "I find this intersection of [class] and [behavior] repulsive, but not [behavior] or [class] in isolation" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Feral on

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    _J_ wrote: »

Doing this would behoove you.

You would grow hooves and be removed from society and thrown into a wardrobe.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.