As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back inNebraskaRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Be sure to download Gatekeeper, a Baldurs Gate savegame editor. Edits all sorts of files-- stats, inventory, weapon proficiencies-- and can be a real life-saver when you are 12 hours into the game before you realize that you really should have put points into Flail.

And just how long has Jennifer Hale been doing voices for Bioware ? She plays Mazzy Fantan in BG2 and Fall-from-Grace in PLANESCAPE.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lol I did put a point into flail. flail of the ages looks tight though, I'm pretty confident with the choice

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes. YES

I'm reinstalling both games + expansions as we speak.

Kami on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Annnnd this thread has reminded me that I have yet to play Baldur's Gate on my current PC. Time to reinstall!

Feeling like I need a change. Any mods that people recommend?

Burnage on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Be sure to download Gatekeeper, a Baldurs Gate savegame editor. Edits all sorts of files-- stats, inventory, weapon proficiencies-- and can be a real life-saver when you are 12 hours into the game before you realize that you really should have put points into Flail.

And just how long has Jennifer Hale been doing voices for Bioware ? She plays Mazzy Fantan in BG2 and Fall-from-Grace in PLANESCAPE.

Jeezis, she's in friggin' everything. I'm going to have to try the "play BG1 using BG2's engine" trick now.

Orca on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have never played this game nor have the interest to

I just wanted a space hamster!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In some ways, I'm kind of irritated that BG2 is still the pinnacle of western RPGs. Bioware haven't really been trying since.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been meaning to borrow BG2 from a friend. Looks like I should get on that sooner. I had tried replaying BG when I found my discs a year ago, but couldn't get into it with all the clicking to move and listening to Imoen and selling mundane crap in Candlekeep.

I remember the first time I played BG, as a young lad, and making a fighter/mage.

gob_bluth_cries_sm.jpg
    "I've made a huge mistake."

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it really so bad to want all of the old CRPG classics (Baldur's Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1&2) simply remade into a new engine?

I missed out on BG1&2 in the golden era, and trying to play them now is almost painful.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's definitely a difficult mode to get into, I lost my first character and realized I never saved. oop, MAKE A NEW CHARACTER

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This game has the same effect as Deus Ex
    Someone makes a thread and 1000 people reinstall.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BG is a series I wish I hadn't missed out on the first time around. I'd like to play them eventually, but I'm afraid the dated mechanics and ruleset would turn me off. I keep trying to get into Planescape but just cannot seem to push past the opening area/level/whatever. The dated graphics don't really bother me too much, which seems to be a sticking point with some people. While not the same rules/system, I had a hard time sticking with the original Fallout to completion. I can certainly see why people hold it in such high regard, and if I had gotten around to it when it was fresh I probably would have the adoration for it that many others do. I can see this translating to BG.

If the games ever showed up on GOG or Steam for cheap I'd totally snatch them up and at least give them a try.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »

I can see why. Like Fallout and X-Com is for me, it seems like it's a good game to replay every couple of years.

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great.... mention Deus Ex and Baldurs Gate at the same time. Thanks man, my life is over for the next month...

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's it. I'm moving BG complete from wish list to shopping basket on amazon. This decided it.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    SneezerSneezer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quite easily fits in my all time top 10 games..OF ALL TIME! :D

Many hours have been plalyed, many kobolds have ben slain.

I may play throught the whole saga again if it works on Wndows 7.

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
    Available for weddings, bar-mitzvahs and risings of the people against oppressive states.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seeing these threads always tempts me to reinstall, but then I remember that I've done basically everything in the game two or three times.

Maybe I'll try and do an actual solo playthrough one of these days. Seems like such a hassle though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I started playing these games as well. Also playing Icewind Dale 1 and 2. I really love Icewind Dale 2. I think it's the best engine by far. And the game is very smooth compared to the others. So far, the story is pretty bleh compared to what I played in the first two Baldur's Gate games. Though I know the overall story arc of the Baldur's Gate games, I still have yet to finish either. They're just soooooo looooooooooooooong.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ooo, good thread, I started playing BG2 recently, for the first time, on my netbook. It's certainly pretty difficult, i've had a few battles that I couldn't beat after playing only a few hours - there was a group upstairs in one of the Waukeen's promenade inns and another in the sewers that took numerous tries. Also the guy in the secret lair in the sewers.

It seems like you have to run around with all your buffs on at once if you want to have a reasonable chance of survival, and it gets pretty annoying sorting them all out before each battle. Maybe after a while i'll know what to use for each situation, but there's so much complexity to the battles it can be confusing. I'll often find half my party fleeing or inactive due to fear/paralysis/confusion/blind etc.

I haven't installed the Baldurdash fix yet, I assume I just install the ToB one (plus text pack), and that fixes SoA too. Right?

One major annoyance with the game so far - Jaheira died in the starting dungeon, then I tried out the re-organise party function and removed her, and now it seems she's lost forever. Is there anyway I can extract her rotting corpse from the dungeon and ressurect her?

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ooo, good thread, I started playing BG2 recently, for the first time, on my netbook. It's certainly pretty difficult, i've had a few battles that I couldn't beat after playing only a few hours - there was a group upstairs in one of the Waukeen's promenade inns and another in the sewers that took numerous tries. Also the guy in the secret lair in the sewers.

It seems like you have to run around with all your buffs on at once if you want to have a reasonable chance of survival, and it gets pretty annoying sorting them all out before each battle. Maybe after a while i'll know what to use for each situation, but there's so much complexity to the battles it can be confusing. I'll often find half my party fleeing or inactive due to fear/paralysis/confusion/blind etc.

I haven't installed the Baldurdash fix yet, I assume I just install the ToB one (plus text pack), and that fixes SoA too. Right?

One major annoyance with the game so far - Jaheira died in the starting dungeon, then I tried out the re-organise party function and removed her, and now it seems she's lost forever. Is there anyway I can extract her rotting corpse from the dungeon and ressurect her?

Both of those fights you mentioned are incredibly hard for starting parties, should be avoided until you have more levels/spells/magic items

Baldurdash TOB fixes both versions, yes, but only if you the expansion installed, otherwise you need to find the SoA one

Oh man, Jaheira might be gone for good =(

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What is the easiest/best race/class combo for your character? What's the "optimal" party as well.

For both 1 and 2.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Human's generally the best race, just for the ability to dual class.

Good classes and combinations:
    • Archer
    • Ranger/cleric
    • Kensai/thief
    • Kensai/mage
    • Wild mage
    • Monk
    • Fighter/mage
    • Swashbuckler

In BG1, pretty much anything with the ability to equip bows is fantastic.

Optimal party depends on a few things, including your character. Generally, the evil party (Edwin/Viconia/Korgan) is the strongest.

Burnage on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Nope. Gone for good, I'm afraid.

What is the easiest/best race/class combo for your character? What's the "optimal" party as well.

For both 1 and 2.
    For 2 you've got quite a few optimal choices.
    Sorcerer (any race) is a pretty effective main as long as you make sure to take the really important spells (Stoneskin, Horrid Wilting, Haste, etc).
    Kensai is also very powerful provided you have a mage with Spirit Armour to keep them at a half-decent AC. Taking a human kensai and dual-classing to mage or thief is also very popular.
    My own pick is actually the Blade, with which I've soloed the game before. Provided they buff themselves constantly with mirror image, stoneskin, haste and offensive spin, and dual-wield some decent weapons, they can tear through almost anything very quickly. Low HP is the only real downside.

EDit: general strategy note for anyone having problems. Learn and abuse the following spells: Chaos, Cloudkill, Web, Animate Dead (the cleric version, available at stupidly low levels), Summon Fire Elemental (Jaheira gets it very early on), Haste. Just be careful not to let summons run into a cloudkill, or they'll turn on you.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In relation to the title, there is a BG2 reference in ME2 where Tali says 'Go for the optics, (name of her droid)!' when she releases a drone

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

For both 1 and 2.

As stated, BG1 is dominated by ranged weapons, if you're good with a bow, you'll do fine. As for good NPCs, on the good/neutral side Jaheira isn't bad, Minsc is a great tank, Ajantis is good in melee as well. Dynaheir is one the best casters, Kivan and Coran are excellent ranged fighters, and Branwen does her job as a cleric

The 'tradeoff' for evil parties is that they aren't supposed to get as much xp and loot, but they have much better NPCs. Edwin is THE best mage. Korgan is THE best fighter. Viconia is THE best cleric etc. etc.

If you want a class that can do well without alot of micromanaging, the paladin's inquisitor kit is a very good class with a manageable number of useful spell-like abilities.

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The name of the combat drone is also a reference.

Chiktikka Vas Paws = Chiktikka Fastpaws

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    EZ Mode in BG2 is the Paladin-Undead Hunter kit, whose innate abilities negate the strongest attacks of the story's toughest enemies.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    DramatiesDramaties Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »

I can see why. Like Fallout and X-Com is for me, it seems like it's a good game to replay every couple of years.

Exactly this. I guess it's partly nostalgia but when you actually play the games, it's just apparent that these kind of games are absolute gems.

I just found BG1 & BG2 with the tutu pack for OSX so there goes another two or six months of school, work and sun for me. :lol:

Dramaties on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I played BG1 back before I had the internet, and learned a bunch of little tricks to make up for the fact that I had no mods. Like pickpocketing Drizzt to get his crazy-awesome swords. Or killing that wizard in Candlekeep for a free level (his him with a missile weapon, then run up the stairs before his spell finishes. Continue until he runs out of spells, then kite him around the coffee table till he dies. 2000 exp, no reputation hit).

Ahh good times. Back when missile weapons were the key to beating everyone (until your main melee guy got the Boots of Speed).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I went back and played through BG1 with TUTU (I think). I made a Barbarian and let me tell you what, it made the game a cake walk. I did most all of it solo. I only needed a party for the very last fight. Even then I was able to take Sarevok one on one (which was badass).

While I do think BG2 is better in just about every single way, I still really enjoyed the "low magic" of BG1. Finding a +1 weapon was a big thing and finding a named magic item was cause for celebration. :P They didn't really have that in BG2 and I missed it.

Oh also, one thing I found neat and a testament to Bioware's inventiveness/humor is that if some kind of bug occurs and a certain NPC doesn't show up to give their speech or what-have-you, then they actually had a Stand In NPC show up. Heh, I forget his name, but he actually shows up in BG2 as a member of that traveling Troupe (as a stand in no less).

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

For both 1 and 2.

In BG1, a monk (using TuTu) is basically the worst class.

However, in BG2, especially in the late game and in Throne of Bhaal, monks get ridiculously overpowered. It's quite possible for monks to kill dragons in a single hit in the late game.
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh also, one thing I found neat and a testament to Bioware's inventiveness/humor is that if some kind of bug occurs and a certain NPC doesn't show up to give their speech or what-have-you, then they actually had a Stand In NPC show up. Heh, I forget his name, but he actually shows up in BG2 as a member of that traveling Troupe (as a stand in no less).

Wasn't he called Biff the Understudy?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Burnage wrote: »
    Human's generally the best race, just for the ability to dual class.

Good classes and combinations:
    • Archer
    • Ranger/cleric
    • Kensai/thief
    • Kensai/mage
    • Wild mage
    • Monk
    • Fighter/mage
    • Swashbuckler

In BG1, pretty much anything with the ability to equip bows is fantastic.

Optimal party depends on a few things, including your character. Generally, the evil party (Edwin/Viconia/Korgan) is the strongest.

Kansai/Thief is just game-breakingly disgusting. Crazy attacks, dual-wield weapons, high naked armor, and then stack the best armor and weapons on top of that? One man slaughtering machine. There were a few levels where the only character I used was that one; everyone else just hung out in the back. He was the Blasto of BG2.

Orca on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Baldur's Gate II is probably the best game of all time.

I wish I were playing it right now.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tried this game once but I couldn't get into it. I made a thief at first and felt compelled to steal everything (seriously, everything). I couldn't make any progress because I'd just spend my time scouring towns.

The load times were atrocious too. Any of the mods fix this?

Sipex on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always found that for BGII/Throne, Monk seemed to be a good mix of challenge and fun. Early on you're going to have to be very strategic about engaging enemies and taking hits due to no armor and low HP, but by the end of the game you have the satisfaction of being a perma-hasted walking (sprinting?) death machine.

Another class that makes end-game almost too easy is the ranger/archer. Nearly all of the final big-bads are spellcasters...and by that point your archer, when hasted, is going to have enough attacks per round to rip off a near machine-gun like stream of arrows. For some reason casters can't complete spells when getting arrow'd in the face constantly.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    I tried this game once but I couldn't get into it. I made a thief at first and felt compelled to steal everything (seriously, everything). I couldn't make any progress because I'd just spend my time scouring towns.

The load times were atrocious too. Any of the mods fix this?

Hmm. IIRC in the configurator there was an option to set X amount of HDD space aside for loading. However, even when the game first came out I never remembered load times being long at all. On my modern day system I barely have enough time to read the loading tips. Maybe it is a problem on your end?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Davidwarner.jpg

<3

Also, other than a Sorcerer, Wizardslayer(15)->Thief is probably the best character in the game. It makes Kensai/Thief or Kensai/Mage classes look like tiny little children.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was really surprised when I saw this wasn't a thread made by Pancake.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Number one game of all time for me. The characters are so deep and realized, the quests and enviornments are pretty neat and I loved the artwork.

The game is chalked full of goodness. I also loved the old D and D system with THACO and what not.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Beat the first one. Still haven't beaten the second one.

And while I look forward to playing them again, I do not look forward to installing all my mods and Tutu again. Seriously, a major mod might have pages of options you go through one by one. One. By. One.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif