As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IT'S ALIVE

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh man now I want some skittles

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out
    That is, ironically, basically the answer I got from my high school religion teacher when I asked him about Christianity's views on Aliens.

basically, yeah

when Jesus is asked about who is going to heaven and stuff he basically says "mind your own business"

Abrahamic religions, apon meeting with extraterrestrial sentient life forms, who conceivably have their own religious truths and perhaps even their own all inclusive Jesus, will fall over each other doing one of two things:

1. Finding new reasons in their dogma and scriptures to accept this as part of God's plan.
    2. Angry anti-alien heretic mob bullshit. Aliens can't exist because they weren't in the Bible.

Eastern religions on the whole, when meeting extraterrestrials, will bro-fist their tentacles or what have you and offer them their hospitality. Because to them, it's like their just meeting reincarnations of humans past or future humans or just sentient beings doing their thing like we are, sharing the same burdens and shit.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    guys guys i just finished dr. strangelove for the first time yay me

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    guys i don't think you fully realize that we'll be able to create fucking LIFE in like 5 fucking years

never mind that artificial intelligence robot bullllllshit

we'll be making things that are ACTUALLY alive

and the religions of the world will fucking FLIP. OUT.

if you give robots a brain, they are alive

nah

life is pretty specifically defined.

Hell, Sperm aren't even alive.

well then it's sapient and deserves all the rights of a living being

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.
    114606-107837-optimus-prime_super.jpg

Red white and blue, baby

Sheri on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Also dozens isn't that much.

I dunno, man

I can barely eat a dozen donuts

You could eat a dozen skittles though right?

You mean like

on donuts?

Javen on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    fuck you dicks i need a paycheck

i like to eat

Raneados on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Did you see the big board?

Drew-B on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    maybe you should go fuck yourself, shank, it's one thirty in the morning and I'm not changing the world with my stupid jokes any more than you are with your righteous indignation

The practical effect of a thought has no bearing on the moral value of the thought!

Do you know, to this day, I get the two of you mixed up?

Brolo on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.
    114606-107837-optimus-prime_super.jpg

The only problem with this is that Optimus Prime would just beat your ass into the ground until you gave him his freedom.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is how mega corporations get started man.

Blake T on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Great fucking movie.

edit: if you get fat enough you turn into a corporation

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Along these lines, you know what really pisses me off about the US political system.

The whole "dems vs repubs" bullshit. Its like, to get involved in politics or "be taken seriously" you have to be for or against one of them. "OMFG the dems are sooo stupid I love the repukelicans" etc

Like is it so hard to see that the whole fucking system is corporatist? They are 2 sides of the same rotton coin

fffffffffffffffffffffff

Al_wat on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Grats. :P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Along these lines, you know what really pisses me off about the US political system.

The whole "dems vs repubs" bullshit. Its like, to get involved in politics or "be taken seriously" you have to be for or against one of them. "OMFG the dems are sooo stupid I love the repukelicans" etc

Like is it so hard to see that the whole fucking system is corporatist? They are 2 sides of the same rotton coin

fffffffffffffffffffffff

oh god is this a troll

edit: oh god, hellajeff too

it's all a goddamned troll, noooooooo

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My beliefs allow for god and aliens! I am the faithiest person.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    guys i don't think you fully realize that we'll be able to create fucking LIFE in like 5 fucking years

never mind that artificial intelligence robot bullllllshit

we'll be making things that are ACTUALLY alive

and the religions of the world will fucking FLIP. OUT.

if you give robots a brain, they are alive

nah

life is pretty specifically defined.

Hell, Sperm aren't even alive.

well then it's sapient and deserves all the rights of a living being

Absolutely!

I still find it amazing that we'll able to straight up create life from nothing in a lab faster than your thinking butler robits

it's a surprising development

but it's not creating life from nothing
    even if we do it from scratch

we have the benefit of being able to decode billions of years of evolution
    all the heavy lifting has been done

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    maybe you should go fuck yourself, shank, it's one thirty in the morning and I'm not changing the world with my stupid jokes any more than you are with your righteous indignation

The practical effect of a thought has no bearing on the moral value of the thought!

Do you know, to this day, I get the two of you mixed up?

college-aged s-names with brown hair

I think the similarities stop there, but I'd probably get us mixed up too

I used to get Weaver and Callius mixed up for no good reason so SHRUGGLES

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

i like to eat

Maybe you should stop spending all your money on dozens of donuts.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

fffffffffffffffffffffff

We are talking about bigger things here u silly goose

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That is, ironically, basically the answer I got from my high school religion teacher when I asked him about Christianity's views on Aliens.

basically, yeah

when Jesus is asked about who is going to heaven and stuff he basically says "mind your own business"

Abrahamic religions, apon meeting with extraterrestrial sentient life forms, who conceivably have their own religious truths and perhaps even their own all inclusive Jesus, will fall over each other doing one of two things:

1. Finding new reasons in their dogma and scriptures to accept this as part of God's plan.
    2. Angry anti-alien heretic mob bullshit. Aliens can't exist because they weren't in the Bible.

Eastern religions on the whole, when meeting extraterrestrials, will bro-fist their tentacles or what have you and offer them their hospitality. Because to them, it's like their just meeting reincarnations of humans past or future humans or just sentient beings doing their thing like we are, sharing the same burdens and shit.

yes because Hindus and Buddhists and Confucians have never ever persecuted other religions or ethnicities

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any good "corporations" have done has absolutely been outweighed by all the evil they have created and are constantly perpetrating in the world, sorry. A token donation to a small town does not balance out training death squads in South America, stealing African aquifers, using child labour, using sweat-shop labour, etc. It just doesn't.

Right, because treating people like dirt didn't exist before big corporations. Get real.

Every major society and every major form of government has done plenty of deplorable shit throughout all of human history. If you fault big corporations, you need to hold every thing to the same standard, and everything would fail.

You're right, it would! I believe that humanity is certainly better off than it was under agrarian dictatorships, feudalism, and the various economic systems that followed that. But I believe there is a far more humane, and much BETTER solution than Capitalism! There are people working towards that, but like I said, its not happening fast enough. I am doing what I can here to help, so I am not just words, here.

That's good because in truth, a corporation cannot be bad because a corporation isn't really anything. It's the people who run it (same as the politicians in any government) that make it bad.

Get good people to run it, and good things can happen.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheri wrote: »

i like to eat

maybe YOU should BUY ME donuts

miss moneybags

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is how mega corporations get started man.

I will support any corporation that will put some skittles in my hand right now

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »

fffffffffffffffffffffff

This is srs bsns you guys.

(Actually yes, it is big serious philosophical shit that will make your brain hurt).

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any good "corporations" have done has absolutely been outweighed by all the evil they have created and are constantly perpetrating in the world, sorry. A token donation to a small town does not balance out training death squads in South America, stealing African aquifers, using child labour, using sweat-shop labour, etc. It just doesn't.

Right, because treating people like dirt didn't exist before big corporations. Get real.

Every major society and every major form of government has done plenty of deplorable shit throughout all of human history. If you fault big corporations, you need to hold every thing to the same standard, and everything would fail.

You're right, it would! I believe that humanity is certainly far better off than it was under agrarian dictatorships, feudalism, and the various economic systems that followed that. But I believe there is a far more humane, and much BETTER solution than Capitalism! There are people working towards that, but like I said, its not happening fast enough. I am doing what I can here to help, so I am not just words, here.
    This is my favourite post of yours that you have ever made.

I agree with it in principle and I look at capitalism as a stepping stone to something even better. That's me being optimistic, but shit I might go into Social Policy one day if my degree and career take me that far so it stands to reason that lights at the ends of tunnels, even if it's a light into ANOTHER, broader tunnel, are good things.

That said, it is not corporations that make capitalism or, really, the status quo bad, but individuals with influence and power using influence and power badly

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuck I want some Krispy Kremes right now thanks.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will buy me donuts and you can watch me eat them

no you can't have any

Javen on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    im not a troll im just kinda drunk

i can bow out

no biggie

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »

fffffffffffffffffffffff

This is srs bsns you guys.

(Actually yes, it is big serious philosophical shit that will make your brain hurt).
    Capitalism, as we have discovered, evolved in this chicken's colon.

edit: don't worry bout it man.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

basically, yeah

yes because Hindus and Buddhists and Confucians have never ever persecuted other religions or ethnicities

Never said they don't, just they don't do it nearly as often.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sheri wrote: »

i like to eat

maybe YOU should BUY ME donuts

miss moneybags

Get your ass over here

And maybe

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rane come to Oregon, I will buy you hell of donuts

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it's all a troll

so goddamned insipid

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    'Sup guys I heard there were donuts up ins.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    not to defend sweatshops but doesn't the money a lot of them pay their workers make them VASTLY more wealthy, comparatively, for their region?

I'm not talking about the sugar plantations that force people to spend what little they have in company-owned stores with jacked-up prices

I mean it's not a United States defined minimum wage, but the cost of living in the US is astronomical compared to the cost of living in areas with sweatshops

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    From new life to donuts.

Marvel at the gloriousness of human ingenuity.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drew-B wrote: »

Did you see the big board?

yeah and some military jerkwad tried to plant a camera on me when he saw me looking!

mensch-o-matic on