As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

is portland a thing

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    exist wrote: »
    we ended up going to this other tiny place with a jukebox full of punk music and generous, cheap shots

going back there for sure next time i'm up portland way

do you remember what the place was called?

curious
    yes & no

thank trillian for that one, i have the worst memory for bars

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i was also tickled pink when zombies took us through 'portland's slums' and it looked better than windsor's downtown

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bogey wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I <3 retro arcade games. Too bad there aren't really any in LA anymore.
    Man, Bogey, make it out to PAX this year, and we can go by Shorty's.

Good, cheap food, hella retro arcade games, and cheap pitchers of PBR.
    Why haven't you mentioned this before?! :o

How far away is it from the convention center area?
    It's Belltown, so it's a bit of a schlep, but not a tremendous distance; probably half a mile or so.

It's near Mama's, that Mexican place we ate at a couple years ago. It's pretty dive-y for Seattle, though. I like the place quite a bit.

If I'd known you were into retro arcades, I would have mentioned it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Butters wrote: »
    "cheap pitchers of PBR?" Is there any other kind?

Oh, right. Seattle.
    Yes, exactly.

I regret that we didn't get to meet last year, Butters. I have a feeling that yelling at you in person would be much more satisfying. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's Belltown, so it's a bit of a schlep, but not a tremendous distance; probably half a mile or so.

It's near Mama's, that Mexican place we ate at a couple years ago. It's pretty dive-y for Seattle, though. I like the place quite a bit.

I've actually never been there, but I want to some time. We should do it.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When I was in Portland I gave a bum outside the Border's that's downtown, across from the park, a twenty by mistake instead of a 5 that I meant to give him. I wanted to go back and ask for it back, but that would have been a faux pas.

Also, walking back to our room we were staying at PSU, a kid who could only have been 15 offered to sell me 'shrooms.

vM9iY.png

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    'cheap PBR'

Giggle.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd love to move to san francisco but it is hella expensive and californias economy is still in the toilet

also seattle and portland are the coolest cities I've been to but I get the SADs pretty bad so not really an option

realistically I could probably make it in reno?

Hooves on
  • Options
    artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it's mainly just that ground kontrol is not my kind of bar. there's no liquor, which puts my girlfriend out of luck (since she has a gluten allergy and can't drink beer,) nothing on tap, and a limited selection of canned beers. the bar really seemed like an afterthought compared to how extensive the arcade is. without libations, all we did was play a couple games, sit and chat with our friends, and leave after about an hour.

it's honestly a neat place in concept, but there was really nothing there to keep me there or get me to want to come back. we were looking for somewhere to hang out and get a nice buzz on, and instead got an arcade with a novelty bar.

Maybe another visit might change my mind. I don't know.

suggestions - more seating, more liquor, at least some kind of draught

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback.

The bar _was_ added to Ground Kontrol after the current owners purchased it and moved it to its current location. We weren't able to put a whole lot of money into it and it was sort of an experiment at first. It worked, and now we're working on improving the bar and the rest of the experience, too.

We recently added draft beer (6 taps) as the first step in our planned renovations. Next we plan to add food and apply for a liquor license change to allow full bar service. Money allowing, we then plan to expand our 2nd floor out towards the south wall on both sides, giving us more room for games and a better seating area.

So, we're working on it! Let us know what you think of our beer taps, too. If there's a particular brand you'd like to see, drop us a line and we'll keep it in mind when ordering.

For gluten-free drinking, we just got a keg of Woodchuck Draft Cider, which is naturally gluten free (see: http://www.woodchuck.com/the-nitty-gritty/faqs/)

If you're not busy this weekend, give us a shot! Happy hour is 5-7pm every day, so that's a good excuse to come in. /end shill

Seriously, though, it's important to me that gamers appreciate Ground Kontrol, so whatever I can do to help cultivate that is worth doing. Hope no one minds me intruding on this thread.

PS. I love Portland - everyone should move here.

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Do you guys have Ikari Warriors? :P

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sounds like nice improvements

Weaver on
  • Options
    artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

No, but we've discussed building a cabinet to house games like Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel, etc and making a cool multi-game out of it. That's usually a decent way to get somewhat lesser-known games out on the floor. So - maybe someday!

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will attest that Woodchuck is some seriously delicious stuff

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, your willingness to listen to customers is more than enough to convince me to come by again the next time I'm in Portland. I'll see you then.

Also, get Guinness on tap.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I've actually never been there, but I want to some time. We should do it.
    They have hot dogs with cream cheese. We should make a thing of it at PAX.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    exist wrote: »
    When I was in Portland I gave a bum outside the Border's that's downtown, across from the park, a twenty by mistake instead of a 5 that I meant to give him. I wanted to go back and ask for it back, but that would have been a faux pas.

Also, walking back to our room we were staying at PSU, a kid who could only have been 15 offered to sell me 'shrooms.

vM9iY.png

Fatso's takin' my money back!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    blurgh so bored right now

Weaver on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    artrulz wrote: »

No, but we've discussed building a cabinet to house games like Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel, etc and making a cool multi-game out of it. That's usually a decent way to get somewhat lesser-known games out on the floor. So - maybe someday!

this is pretty damn cool that you are on here providing customer service in your time off, and I think that is neat.

you are a dude that represents portland well I think

Swill on
  • Options
    TerrierTerrier Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't post here often (at all), but I just wanted to say that Portland is amazing! I moved up here almost three years ago, and after twenty years of living in southern California, it was just what I needed.

The job market does suck for most people wanting to live here, but if you have connections or experience in the field that you're looking at, you do have a shot.

I have heard that the taxes that businesses here have to pay are kind of ridiculous, which I guess does tend to drive away most big businesses (most of them go to Seattle instead). However, it seems as if people around here are more into independently-owned places anyway.

Not to offend any of the Seattle people here, but having talked to native Portlanders (people who have been here 20+ years), the impression that I get is that the two cities are actually quite different in more ways than just size. Portland seems to be more laid-back, and Seattle is supposed to be more uppity. But I haven't been to Seattle enough to actually form a personal opinion.

Also, if anyone ever wants to go get a beer or something, let me know!

Terrier on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So what's the deal with the budget shiz going on in Oregon now?

The governor heard that the budget was going to be too expensive by 500 million

So he immediately decides to cut the money from the education budget because, obviously, that shit don't matter.

Then I heard a report that the budget isn't in as much trouble as people thought because some economist calculated taxes wrong.

This is what I have gleaned looking at front pages of newspapers while riding in a poorly driven car for a couple days so...

enlighten me

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man I don't even know what kind of foolishness Kitzhaber is up to

we just approved a big old tax hike and apparently it's still not enough

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Terrier wrote: »
    I don't post here often (at all), but I just wanted to say that Portland is amazing! I moved up here almost three years ago, and after twenty years of living in southern California, it was just what I needed.

The job market does suck for most people wanting to live here, but if you have connections or experience in the field that you're looking at, you do have a shot.

I have heard that the taxes that businesses here have to pay are kind of ridiculous, which I guess does tend to drive away most big businesses (most of them go to Seattle instead). However, it seems as if people around here are more into independently-owned places anyway.

Not to offend any of the Seattle people here, but having talked to native Portlanders (people who have been here 20+ years), the impression that I get is that the two cities are actually quite different in more ways than just size. Portland seems to be more laid-back, and Seattle is supposed to be more uppity. But I haven't been to Seattle enough to actually form a personal opinion.

Also, if anyone ever wants to go get a beer or something, let me know!

it's me,
    I am the portland forumer meeter

Swill on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    kingofportland-2.gif

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am that but an achewood shirt, no facial hair, and black coffee and cigarettes

Swill on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Portland is such a coffee town

I don't know where that latte idea came from

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    does the achewood shirt contain any irony?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    nope

it is the dude and the catastrophe shirt

Swill on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    irony.png

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    do you think I am awful

Swill on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    irony.png
    definitely looks like someone misspelled 'tranny'

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am sitting here in union jack boxers and a white v-neck

am I doing irony right? I've lived here for a couple of years, I should know this

Terrier on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

am I doing irony right? I've lived here for a couple of years, I should know this
    If you are not from England, it is ironic

If you have no neck, or your neck is an A, that also is ironic

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Houk wrote: »

See, that is the mark of a true Portlander

just sitting around in the things that you wore under your work clothes, and still maintaining appropriate levels of irony

Terrier on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swill wrote: »
    I am that but an achewood shirt, no facial hair, and black coffee and cigarettes

This is actually quite true

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    AxesOfEvilAxesOfEvil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Houk wrote: »

See, that is the mark of a true Portlander

just sitting around in the things that you wore under your work clothes, and still maintaining appropriate levels of irony
    Yeah, see, I guess I haven't been here long enough yet...I don't even know how to be ironic. Or maybe it's only the downtowners who know how to do that. Damn hipsters.

AxesOfEvil on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I walked 10 miles to the irony store, and then just as I crossed the street to get there, I got hit by a truck carrying a shipment of irony

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    le sigh

Weaver on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I walked 10 miles to the irony store, and then just as I crossed the street to get there, I got hit by a truck carrying a shipment of irony

What a coincidence!

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    so I finally found a mattress for my futon frame so after this weekend I won't be sleeping on my old camping pad anymore

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Swill wrote: »
    do you think I am awful

nah

Centipede Damascus on