Options

[Gulf Coast Oil Spill]It Ain't Over Yet

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...BP's contractors were trampling Pelican nesting grounds and throwing the eggs around?

What the fuck?

Yeah that story kinda got skipped over a few days ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/16/louisiana.trampled.nests/index.html

Think the one about Bp burning turtles alive got missed most places too.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/oil_spill/is-bp-burning-sea-turtles-alive-06222010

Ogotai on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ogotai wrote: »
    ...BP's contractors were trampling Pelican nesting grounds and throwing the eggs around?

What the fuck?

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/oil_spill/is-bp-burning-sea-turtles-alive-06222010

I am so freaking angry right now. I don't know if I can contain my rage. I should probably walk home.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    That vid seriously bummed me right out.
    So, playing Murphey's Law here, how long until the sewer explodes?

Looks like someone just poured oil from a bottle into some puddles to me.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure oil can...rain. It has to evaporate to condense and fall back down, but then it's mixed with a lot of other stuff and wouldn't come back down as oil.

MKR on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How near are these damn relief wells! Clearly this cap isn't enough, what's BP's next step in containing this nightmare.

Pshaw. 'Clean up this nightmare'. That's hard work, you know?

BP is moving forward, not getting quagmired in the past. I mean, the spill's already more than a month old. It's time to stop getting hung-up on this whole 'leak' business. I've got two words for you: Yacht Race.

Plus, there's new opportunity to be found off the Alaskan coast, where there isn't all this 'regulation' nonsense. Who wants to deal with plugging up holes when you can go drill new ones?

Hell, I've moved my expectations well below cleaning this up, on that front I'm hoping that over maybe 30 years things will recover. I'd just like them to stop the damn oil!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What the fuck?

Y'know, it would be, like, just plain awful if someone were to just start clubbing Tony Hayward with a 7 iron and, when he started to shriek or whatever, tell him, "Hey, Tony. Tony. Relax, man. Being beaten with a golf club doesn't hurt. It will not cause you significant injury. Don't worry about it."

Yeah. That would be just awful.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is how Ozymandius would have wanted it.

Creating a bigger problem than nuclear weapons.

McAllen on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I swear at this point we need to turn to high school science fair competitions for ideas on how to stop the oil coming from the well.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, we just another charter boat Captain commit suicide in my area. I think that makes three that I know about.

Drake on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Well, we just another charter boat Captain commit suicide in my area. I think that makes three that I know about.

...I don't understand why these guys are committing suicide. I mean, if it was shrimp farmers or something I'd get it, but wouldn't the charter boat captains still be more or less fine even after everything else has gone down the shitter?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not the ones who running Charter Fishing operations. Which is a huge deal here.

Drake on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How long until they start taking BP officials with them?

If this had happened on the west coast or in the Mass area greenpeace/elf would have probably firebombed every office in a thousand mile radius by now.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is from the original blowout/oil rig fire before it sank. I don't know how factual it is as it's from Wikipedia, but it gave me chills.
    The explosion was followed by a fire that engulfed the platform. According to an unnamed witness, Deepwater Horizon installation manager Jimmy Harrell, an employee of Transocean, was speaking to someone in Houston, Texas when the fire started, and was heard screaming, "Are you fucking happy? Are you fucking happy? The rig's on fire! I told you this was gonna happen."[38] Survivors describe the scene as like the movie Titanic, and a fire so bright that they couldn't look at it.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuck.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And at that point it was already too late to do anything.

We are fucked.

So fucked.

Drake on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Those videos shared with us of Billy Nungesser last page got me curious and I went over to youtube and started following links... I noticed if I watch videos with Billy from oldest to latest, the man is losing weight (obvious because he is a pretty big guy to start with) and looks more tired every video...

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So you fucked up the Gulf Coast?

still can't get the containment to work?

no dat on the releif well?

whats a good solution?

DRILL SOMEWHERE ELSE EVEN MORE RISKY!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/us/24rig.html
    The BP drilling station on the artificial island in the Beaufort Sea. Because of its location on the artificial island, it has been exempted from the moratorium on offshore drilling.

But about three miles off the coast of Alaska, BP is moving ahead with a controversial and potentially record-setting project to drill two miles under the sea and then six to eight miles horizontally to reach what is believed to be a 100-million-barrel reservoir of oil under federal waters.

I love that. They're allowed to keep drilling there because they're onshore.

Because they built their own island out in the water.

I swear these guys are cartoon villains. :x

Aurin on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gotta keep the lady hippies away or they'll tie them to the train tracks and twirl their mustaches.

That quote thing is horrifying, and I can only imagine some BP executive standing on it all laughing triumphantly because it's probably true, no one could see him through all the smoke.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure oil can...rain. It has to evaporate to condense and fall back down, but then it's mixed with a lot of other stuff and wouldn't come back down as oil.

Followed the oil video link and noticed this as the response to a comment just like yours:
    @MastaRikta Do fish dissolve, do frogs dissolve, does sand dissolve? Yet they have all fallen with rain. It doesn't have to dissolve to fall with the rain. There are documented cases of the 3 things above falling with rain.
    bleibrandpolsky 50 minutes ago

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    End of the world, of course! That explains it all! >.>

Aurin on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://jalopnik.com/5570961/its-raining-oil-in-louisiana
    Snippet wrote:
    According to a statement issued to Jalopnik from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "EPA has no data, information or scientific basis that suggests that oil mixed with dispersant could possibly evaporate from the Gulf into the water cycle."

Yogo on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    adejaan wrote: »
    This is from the original blowout/oil rig fire before it sank. I don't know how factual it is as it's from Wikipedia, but it gave me chills.
    The explosion was followed by a fire that engulfed the platform. According to an unnamed witness, Deepwater Horizon installation manager Jimmy Harrell, an employee of Transocean, was speaking to someone in Houston, Texas when the fire started, and was heard screaming, "Are you fucking happy? Are you fucking happy? The rig's on fire! I told you this was gonna happen."[38] Survivors describe the scene as like the movie Titanic, and a fire so bright that they couldn't look at it.

If true that's damning, and really sad. It must have sucked to work there, knowing the cheap asses didn't built it right.

nstf on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Could it be that they dont want 3600+ rigs to suddenly test their BOPs if thats what they are worried about being the point of failure, and instead just want to stop the 33 rigs before they become completely reliant on their BOPs?

That doesn't make sense. If there's a problem with any of the equipment you want to know ASAP. That way if a problem is discovered you can shut down production now, during normal operations, rather than waiting for a system-stressing event to occur.

Semi-related, the whole "shut down the 33 rigs because they might be dangerous" logic is even more baffling when contrasted against the government's stance on dispersants, which are being allowed even though we know they're dangerous.
    Q: So but -- okay, with that, that is a poison that pushes the oil down. What happens to that that? You are pushing it down -- what happens?

ADMIRAL ALLEN [National Incident Commander, Unified Command]: The oil ultimately biodegrades. It is suspended for a while and then it biodegrades. All oil will ultimately weather and biodegrade. Dispersants accelerate that. And we know there is some toxicity with dispersants, but it is far less than the toxicity of the oil.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/briefing-press-secretary-robert-gibbs-treasury-secretary-tim-geithner-under-secreta

Except that oil doesn't "weather" underwater plus

EPA data show dispersants plus oil are more toxic than either alone

I thought this was supposed to be the pro-science White House take BP's dick out of your mouths for 5 seconds and listen to your goddamn scientists harglbarglgargbl

But hey, at least they're taking it seriously, right?
    MS. BROWNER [Director, White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy]: * I’m going to give you a way to think about this maybe. If you have a oily pan and you go to wash it, you squirt some Dawn in, right? And what --

Q *

MS. BROWNER: Dawn. And what happens? It starts to -- Dawn, right. Okay, Joy, but actually Dawn is the preferred. And it starts -- that’s how they wash the animals, in Dawn. They actually use Dawn for the animals. And it starts -- you know, so in your kitchen sink, you have the oil starting to break up and you’re seeing that biodegrading process right in front of you. That’s what happens.

Q Okay and also --

MR. GIBBS: I don’t do dishes so I can’t *

Q Ooh! (Laughter.)

MS. BROWNER: I bet he’s doing some dishes tonight. (Laughter.)

Yeah, yuck it up Ricky and Lucy. Coming up next:
    I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist killers. Thank you. Now watch this drive.

HAH....clearly someone does not understand how surfactants work... do you have a link for that Q&A? I'm curious as to how more ignorant Ms. Browner can be.

Kruite on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Figure I should post this picture to keep the anger and outrage fueling.

From a beach in Alabama.

alabama-surf-small.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

From a beach in Alabama.

alabama-surf-small.jpg

Third time's a charm.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kruite wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Could it be that they dont want 3600+ rigs to suddenly test their BOPs if thats what they are worried about being the point of failure, and instead just want to stop the 33 rigs before they become completely reliant on their BOPs?

That doesn't make sense. If there's a problem with any of the equipment you want to know ASAP. That way if a problem is discovered you can shut down production now, during normal operations, rather than waiting for a system-stressing event to occur.

Semi-related, the whole "shut down the 33 rigs because they might be dangerous" logic is even more baffling when contrasted against the government's stance on dispersants, which are being allowed even though we know they're dangerous.
    Q: So but -- okay, with that, that is a poison that pushes the oil down. What happens to that that? You are pushing it down -- what happens?

ADMIRAL ALLEN [National Incident Commander, Unified Command]: The oil ultimately biodegrades. It is suspended for a while and then it biodegrades. All oil will ultimately weather and biodegrade. Dispersants accelerate that. And we know there is some toxicity with dispersants, but it is far less than the toxicity of the oil.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/briefing-press-secretary-robert-gibbs-treasury-secretary-tim-geithner-under-secreta

Except that oil doesn't "weather" underwater plus

EPA data show dispersants plus oil are more toxic than either alone

I thought this was supposed to be the pro-science White House take BP's dick out of your mouths for 5 seconds and listen to your goddamn scientists harglbarglgargbl

But hey, at least they're taking it seriously, right?
    MS. BROWNER [Director, White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy]: * I’m going to give you a way to think about this maybe. If you have a oily pan and you go to wash it, you squirt some Dawn in, right? And what --

Q *

MS. BROWNER: Dawn. And what happens? It starts to -- Dawn, right. Okay, Joy, but actually Dawn is the preferred. And it starts -- that’s how they wash the animals, in Dawn. They actually use Dawn for the animals. And it starts -- you know, so in your kitchen sink, you have the oil starting to break up and you’re seeing that biodegrading process right in front of you. That’s what happens.

Q Okay and also --

MR. GIBBS: I don’t do dishes so I can’t *

Q Ooh! (Laughter.)

MS. BROWNER: I bet he’s doing some dishes tonight. (Laughter.)

Yeah, yuck it up Ricky and Lucy. Coming up next:
    I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist killers. Thank you. Now watch this drive.

HAH....clearly someone does not understand how surfactants work... do you have a link for that Q&A? I'm curious as to how more ignorant Ms. Browner can be.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait a minute. BP workers are destroying wildlife grounds and setting turtles on fire? For real? O_o

Edit - wooooorrrrrrrrds

Henroid on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

From a beach in Alabama.

alabama-surf-small.jpg

I used to surf. That's downright hideous.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wait a minute. BP workers are destroying wildlife grounds and setting turtles on fire? For real? O_o

Edit - wooooorrrrrrrrds

Probably just a rumor I'm starting right now, but they're also responsible for the destruction of the Amazon, all the baby seal clubbing deaths to date, and they fuel all of the helicopters used to shoot wildlife.

And then they sat fire to that sloth orphanage in Guatemala.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And I just found out about the new well they're starting on off the shore of Alaska.

No wonder that judge blocked the moratorium Obama had set on offshore drilling.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

What the fuck?

So BP really -is- Pentex. Man, it's like this company is trying to establish new milestones in screwed up and wtf.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it sad that I watch robocop (even 2 and 3 where they go over the top) and see OCP as benevolent compared to the real 21st century corporations?

override367 on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

From a beach in Alabama.

alabama-surf-small.jpg

I used to surf. That's downright hideous.

It's disturbing how much it looks like a test render from Half-Life 3.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    IH8nE.jpg

BubbaT on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

What the fuck?

So BP really -is- Pentex. Man, it's like this company is trying to establish new milestones in screwed up and wtf.

The comments are ... special. Like, more special than usual.

kildy on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It shouldn't. That's not how it works. I mean yeah it'll be in your air because the chemicals do evaporate, but it doesn't condense back into the water. Plus, the different portions of it evaporate at different points. So at most you'd have a little hydrogen sulfide in your water maybe. You wouldn't have full blown oil.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »

It shouldn't. That's not how it works. I mean yeah it'll be in your air because the chemicals do evaporate, but it doesn't condense back into the water. Plus, the different portions of it evaporate at different points. So at most you'd have a little hydrogen sulfide in your water maybe. You wouldn't have full blown oil.

Followed the oil video link and noticed this as the response to a comment just like yours:
    @MastaRikta Do fish dissolve, do frogs dissolve, does sand dissolve? Yet they have all fallen with rain. It doesn't have to dissolve to fall with the rain. There are documented cases of the 3 things above falling with rain.
    bleibrandpolsky 50 minutes ago

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Someone already posted that comment. And those three documented cases still haven't been referenced for review.

MKR on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I know I've read of at least a few cases of hurricanes and other big storms scooping up frogs and fish and depositing them other places when the wind drops just enough to lose them.

It also rained ducks in some town in Europe when a large flock of ducks flew into a cold front that pretty much instantly froze them to death.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I know I've read of at least a few cases of hurricanes and other big storms scooping up frogs and fish and depositing them other places when the wind drops just enough to lose them.

It also rained ducks in some town in Europe when a large flock of ducks flew into a cold front that pretty much instantly froze them to death.

The one unifying thing there is a non-rain event causing it. What mechanism is causing oil rain here?

MKR on