As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] Now featuring HANDSOME ADVICE.

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    elkatas wrote: »
    Be sure to buy her a drink

As a good thumb of rule, don't buy her a drink. It basically tells woman that "I'm desperate guy, and I'm buying drinks to maintain your attention". If discussion gets further along, then yes, it is fine, and even charming. But in the beginning, forget about it.

Oh believe me, that was a joke based on something from the last thread.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Time to get back into it. I seem to manage to date women who end up moving 500 miles away for their jobs. Maybe time to date women a little less into their careers.

I did the whole best face thing. Apparently, the ladies really like the pictures of me doing the weird and crazy activities. Cause the top pictures certainly weren't what I would've expected.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I thought my dressed as a zombie picture would have done better. I guess OKCupid has a more varied audience than I expected.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seems like it. I would've figured the pictures where I wasn't completely covered in mud or looking down to make sure I wasn't going to set my feet on fire would be the better ones.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone have a compendium of neat date ideas? Ghost tour is currently out, unfortunately.

Here is few good rules for dating...
    • Avoid the two worst possible choices; movie and dinner. Movie is bad because you don't interact with each other. Dinner is bad idea for two reasons. First, and foremost, there are some socially programmed exceptations for dinner. It is the big thing, and most girls think that they need to choose there and now. Plus it is a long ritual, which brings us to second rule....
    • Keep it short. Good date should have clear beginning and the ending. I would recommend that date doesn't last longer than, say, hour. Lunch is actually pretty good choice for "date", because it is short. Of course, if things get hot, you are more than welcome to extend to your date.
    • Keep it active. If possible, bring her to any activity. Robman had good list of suitable activities.
    • Don't ever use dating related vocabulary. I don't ever date women. I meet them. Why? Because if you use dating vocabulary, you have tendency to activate certain automatic responses and exceptations for the meeting. Even if girl likes you, you will meet unnecessary resistance because she has learnt she needs to do this or that because it is a date. By simply not using word date, you will bypass most of these automatic responses.
    • Never ask for phonenumber. For same reason, I don't never ask contact details, I just ask how we could continue this discussion later. Because if you ask for phone number, way too often she goes "Uh-oh, this guy is trying hit on me, and according to Cosmo, I should be dating guys that look like that guy over there. Sorry."

Never ask for a phone number? Man what?

EDIT I've also never had a first date that was promising that didn't last at least 2-3 hours just because we met for coffee and then went on an adventure

Robman on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone told me a tip of dating
    Drinks are an interview
    Dinner is Romance
    Lunch is a meeting

But I fail at getting dates anymore because of my lack of a car or the fact I am not that talkative at work nor look that friendly or approachable while there
    It's sad that is the place you will see me in public more often than anywhere else

My okcupid page does need some help

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You need better pictures.

Especially the crazed hobo-beard picture. Get rid of that one, burn it, bury the ashes in the backyard.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Drinks are an interview
    Dinner is Romance
    Lunch is a meeting

But I fail at getting dates anymore because of my lack of a car or the fact I am not that talkative at work nor look that friendly or approachable while there
    It's sad that is the place you will see me in public more often than anywhere else

That beard picture.

Get rid of it......get rid of it fucking yesterday.

and you start off your profile with this?
    I am quite boring. You can pass me by... no really. Nothing interesting to see here.

I can't help but shake my head in shame...

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Never ask for a phone number? Man what?

I just wanted point out that phrase it differently. If you ask phone number directly, you way too often activate some kind of automatic response, because women are excepted to give it only under certain, clear cut conditions. To avoid this, I just say "This was interesting discussion, how we could continue this later on?". End result? I didn't ask it directly, but most girls literally shove their contact details (number, email, MSN, facebook, whatever) to me without any kind of doubt or hesitation. Thanks to this, I also rarely need to deal with flakes. How you say things matters a lot.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am quite boring. You can pass me by... no really. Nothing interesting to see here.

Because I grew bored with typing out the same boring message to women I really do not know what I want to start or write in my profile
    But then my beard pic is gone I don't have any good pics unless you count the ones playing with my dog and the ones my freind took of me thorwing up with really drunk last summer
    THe ones of me playing with my dog are kind of blurry

Brainleech on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Be sure to buy her a drink

As a good thumb of rule, don't buy her a drink. It basically tells woman that "I'm desperate guy, and I'm buying drinks to maintain your attention". If discussion gets further along, then yes, it is fine, and even charming. But in the beginning, forget about it.

Oh believe me, that was a joke based on something from the last thread.

You can only 'buy her a drank' if you then call her 'shawty,' according to T-Pain's rules.

wallaka on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Man, okay, this page just comes off as a massive downer. You need to be more positive. What do you enjoy about life? Focus on that. No need to give your whole autobiography, just talk a bit about some stuff you enjoy.

Eradicate everything from your profile that is negative and/or ambivalent. For example, cut lines like "I don't know what I like, only know what I don't" and "I really cannot say I have a favorite book. movie, song or food."

Legba on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drinks are an interview
    Dinner is Romance
    Lunch is a meeting

Right from the get-go your profile says "I suck." Why should anyone want to date you then?

Also, rotate your picture...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Because I grew bored with typing out the same boring message to women I really do not know what I want to start or write in my profile
    But then my beard pic is gone I don't have any good pics unless you count the ones playing with my dog and the ones my freind took of me thorwing up with really drunk last summer
    THe ones of me playing with my dog are kind of blurry

Well if you've grown bored of chasing women, stop? And a digital camera only costs like 50 bucks for a basic point and shoot one these days, get some new photos.

Robman on
  • Options
    VisibleManVisibleMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone got tips for the art of the first message? All my messages feel painfully generic. "Oh, you like X? Have you seen Y, which is kind of like X. I also did/owned/watched/liked Z." That kind of stuff.

VisibleMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    VisibleMan wrote: »
    Anyone got tips for the art of the first message? All my messages feel painfully generic. "Oh, you like X? Have you seen Y, which is kind of like X. I also did/owned/watched/liked Z." That kind of stuff.

Be funny. Be different. For example, here is one messages that I use:
    TOPIC: Are you a roller, folder, or thrower?

"Let’s say we're on vacation. We have our suitcases open. I’ve going to take you anywhere you want to go, and you’re packing your bag. Do you throw your clothes in, do you roll them, or do you fold them?"

Light-hearted, funny, and shows some personality. The answer also tells a lot about the girl. If she is disrespectful, gives unimaginative answer, or doesn't even answer, well, she probably isn't kind of girl I want to be with.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elkatas would you please cut out that sexist shit

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Sexist? Please tell me what sexist there is in the fact that I want to know what kind of girl she is? To see right from the bat that if she is creative and fun? To see that she has qualities that I seek in women? Oh yes, I remember. It doesn't go by normal "Oh please, please accept me" pleading drill that most men have going on. The paradox in dating is that more picky you are, more choice you are going to have.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    VisibleMan wrote: »

Be funny. Be different. For example, here is one messages that I use:
    TOPIC: Are you a roller, folder, or thrower?

"Let’s say we're on vacation. We have our suitcases open. I’ve going to take you anywhere you want to go, and you’re packing your bag. Do you throw your clothes in, do you roll them, or do you fold them?"

Light-hearted, funny, and shows some personality. The answer also tells a lot about the girl. If she is disrespectful, gives unimaginative answer, or doesn't even answer, well, she probably isn't kind of girl I want to be with.

What would be a good answer to that? Aside from "I don't pack clothes because I like to spend my entire vacations naked."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    What would be a good answer to that? Aside from "I don't pack clothes because I like to spend my entire vacations naked."

You would be surprised what kind of answers girls give. I hear everything from cool travelling destination descriptions, to most bizarre packing rituals to silly jokes. Never underestimate woman's creativity. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Sexist? Please tell me what sexist there is in the fact that I want to know what kind of girl she is? To see right from the bat that if she is creative and fun? To see that she has qualities that I seek in women? Oh yes, I remember. It doesn't go by normal "Oh please, please accept me" pleading drill that most men have going on. The paradox in dating is that more picky you are, more choice you are going to have.

I was focusing more on the "Don't call it a date because than the woman will automatically think of Cosmo olol"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hum... Well I haven't had luck with my more plain initial messages lately. I'll give this one a try... later on. Right now things are going well with the girl and my work schedule is getting rather crowded.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I was focusing more on the "Don't call it a date because than the woman will automatically think of Cosmo olol"

It just, unfortunately, happens way too often to dismiss. Why I would allow her automatic response to prevent her from getting to know me better?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Meh. I usually contact girls whose profiles make it look like I seem to have something in common with. So I've got a topic to discuss straight away. No generic goosery.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It just, unfortunately, happens way too often to dismiss. Why I would allow her automatic response to prevent her from getting to know me better?

Well, let's start here
    Never ask for phonenumber. For same reason, I don't never ask contact details, I just ask how we could continue this discussion later. Because if you ask for phone number, way too often she goes "Uh-oh, this guy is trying hit on me, and according to Cosmo, I should be dating guys that look like that guy over there. Sorry."

That is incredibly condescending. Do you honesty believe women make important choices based on what they read in Cosmo? Does any girl worth spending time with even read Cosmo?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I know a few girls that read cosmo to look at ads, read the makeup tips and laugh at the other articles

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That is incredibly condescending. Do you honesty believe women make important choices based on what they read in Cosmo?

Social conditioning just happens, and practically everyone is victim of it to some degree. Just go to McDonalds, and sit there for an hour. Listen how many times you hear song that tells that man should be chasing girl, and girl should be the prize for the handsome guy? Watch TV for hour or two flipping channels. How many television shows you will find that tell same story? Browse through couple of women magazines. Once again, same story. Look at the advertisement that is targeted towards women. You will find it again.

When something is repeated long enough, it will turn into automatic process, idea that you accept as truth without even thinking. Women can't literally avoid this kind of conditioning, because it is bombarded from everywhere. And it is not only women. Men have equally ridiculous beliefs about what is right or wrong in dating, or what should be done to win woman's heart. Woo her with sugary chirping, praise her looks. Make your move. Go get some. Bring her to restaurant. Buy diamond ring. Buy cologne. Women always like quality X, and they can't *never, ever* like quality Y. If you don't look like this, you shouldn't even try to approach this kind of girl. Sounds familiar to you?

And who does this bullshit serve? Business. No one else. Money uber alles. This is serious, because it causes that many women and men never find the right one.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There seems to be a key qualifier to that list of rules you listed Elkatas. At the very least, it's specific to first dates if not first meeting, and even then I can't agree with some of them.

If the woman is the type of person to ascribe to a set of very stereotypical dating responses that you don't like, you're not going to dodge that bullet somehow by delaying it.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That is incredibly condescending. Do you honesty believe women make important choices based on what they read in Cosmo?

Social conditioning just happens, and practically everyone is victim of it to some degree. Just go to McDonalds, and sit there for an hour. Listen how many times you hear song that tells that man should be chasing girl, and girl should be the prize for the handsome guy? Watch TV for hour or two flipping channels. How many television shows you will find that tell same story? Browse through couple of women magazines. Once again, same story. Look at the advertisement that is targeted towards women. You will find it again.

When something is repeated long enough, it will turn into automatic process, idea that you accept as truth without even thinking. Women can't literally avoid this kind of conditioning, because it is bombarded from everywhere. And it is not only women. Men have equally ridiculous beliefs about what is right or wrong in dating, or what should be done to win woman's heart. Woo her with sugary chirping, praise her looks. Make your move. Go get some. Bring her to restaurant. Buy diamond ring. Buy cologne. Women always like quality X, and they can't *never, ever* like quality Y. If you don't look like this, you shouldn't even try to approach this kind of girl. Sounds familiar to you?

And who does this bullshit serve? Business. No one else. Money uber alles. This is serious, because it causes that many women and men never find the right one.

That's bullshit. Advertising doesn't work that way, but if you think it does, I'd like to see you prove it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd like to throw out a date idea.

Take them to a thrift store and look around. Maybe put together a treasure hunt, as in you have to find certain types of items funny/nostalgic type of items. Or try and put together some sort of costume, 70s Porn star look? Sweet. Dorky Tourist Look, it's there. 3 year old kid that was allowed to dress himself? YUP

I've proposed this as a first meetup with a girl I've been messaging back and forth with. I'll report back her answer. I've moved beyond creeper status(her words after I told her she made it past "she might be a psycho"), so hopefully she is comfortable meeting someone off the internet.

And my opinion on the argument that is about to explode here.

elkata's theories are kind of ripped straight from a PUA manual. The Game, Mystery Method, David DeAngelo's cocky/funny shit. You should read "The Game" zombiemambo. It will be a book that will make you red hot pissed off but you won't be able to stop reading. Then you might realize, the shit they are doing. The manipulation, the mind games, all that crap.. that it actually works.

Here is a bunch of guys that have perfected the art of meeting women. Making themselves seem interesting just so they can get a girl's phone number. They even have canned material that they use on every single girl.

I'm not trying to advocate some mysoginistic view here. What I'm trying to say is that after 15+ years of hitting on women, men have written books on what worked for them. And there are common themes in those books. Some of those common themes are exactly what elkatas has posted. If you think it's shit, and that he should change his point of view I'd be very interested in how you meet new people. Personally, i fucking hate thinking and doing the type of stuff outlined in those books. So if you've found a way to pick up any women you want without using that shit you could make millions of dollars, write a book.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've seen threads explode and die when PUA stuff is introduced, so I'd like to see that not happen here. If I recall, the end of most of the conversations can be summed up as, "Well yes, it works, but on how many women and to what point? Want to get laid? Yea, that crap can help you find someone who will fuck you for whatever reason. Want a relationship? This attitude is unhealthy, unfair, and will destroy any healthy relationship before it begins. The biggest danger with delving into that type of stuff is that its impossible to unlearn.
    It's not worth bothering with. Just learn to treat people like people.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Buddies wrote: »

Take them to a thrift store and look around. Maybe put together a treasure hunt, as in you have to find certain types of items funny/nostalgic type of items. Or try and put together some sort of costume, 70s Porn star look? Sweet. Dorky Tourist Look, it's there. 3 year old kid that was allowed to dress himself? YUP

I've proposed this as a first meetup with a girl I've been messaging back and forth with. I'll report back her answer. I've moved beyond creeper status(her words after I told her she made it past "she might be a psycho"), so hopefully she is comfortable meeting someone off the internet.

elkata's theories are kind of ripped straight from a PUA manual. The Game, Mystery Method, David DeAngelo's cocky/funny shit. You should read "The Game" zombiemambo. It will be a book that will make you red hot pissed off but you won't be able to stop reading. Then you might realize, the shit they are doing. The manipulation, the mind games, all that crap.. that it actually works.

Here is a bunch of guys that have perfected the art of meeting women. Making themselves seem interesting just so they can get a girl's phone number. They even have canned material that they use on every single girl.

I'm not trying to advocate some mysoginistic view here. What I'm trying to say is that after 15+ years of hitting on women, men have written books on what worked for them. And there are common themes in those books. Some of those common themes are exactly what elkatas has posted. If you think it's shit, and that he should change his point of view I'd be very interested in how you meet new people. Personally, i fucking hate thinking and doing the type of stuff outlined in those books. So if you've found a way to pick up any women you want without using that shit you could make millions of dollars, right a book.

Yeah, I'm not thick, I know exactly what he's advocating.

I'm going to blunt: if you need to read a book on PUA to pick up chicks, you're pathetic.
    I'd be very interested in how you meet new people
    I treat them like human beings, for starters.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Further update on quirky talks alot girl: I am apparently invited to a party of hers next week. Interesting future day will be interesting. Also describes her roommates as "hedonists." Wonder what she means by that...lives like a queen hedonist? Or hedonist like the person I'm dating?

Also: Date with the lady friend on Wed. Current plan: sex shop (again) and ice cream. Apparently the thing she ordered came in. Also going to surprise her with tasty chocolate treats. Not that any of those three things will be related. In any way. No sir.

Probably should do ice cream *before* other things.

Mercutio87 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can have a short bit of fun with a lot of women

Alternatively, you can avoid destroying yourself as a loving human being and can have a lot more fun with a few people

Robman on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've seen threads explode and die when PUA stuff is introduced, so I'd like to see that not happen here. If I recall, the end of most of the conversations can be summed up as, "Well yes, it works, but on how many women and to what point? Want to get laid? Yea, that crap can help you find someone who will fuck you for whatever reason. Want a relationship? This attitude is unhealthy, unfair, and will destroy any healthy relationship before it begins. The biggest danger with delving into that type of stuff is that its impossible to unlearn.
    It's not worth bothering with. Just learn to treat people like people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGnX-MbYE4

im sorry i had to

Joolander on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    I know a few girls that read cosmo to look at ads, read the makeup tips and laugh at the other articles

I'm a guy and I read Cosmo. You know all those articles about "The best 100 places to meet guys"?

Gotta know where I gotta be to get met!

I'm kidding. Anyway, that really awesome girl I took a tour of the old abandoned prison with suggested we check out the Capital Building sometime. I've never been there, so I'm pretty stoked.

To be honest, though, I'd tour a big city garbage dump in the middle of August with her if she asked me to.

edit: it's 10:53 at night where I am, and I totally forgot that I left my sub on maximum when I left earlier, so I just vibrated the walls of my apartment with the first five seconds of People Are People on accident.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Buddies wrote: »

I'm not trying to advocate some mysoginistic view here. What I'm trying to say is that after 15+ years of hitting on women, men have written books on what worked for them. And there are common themes in those books. Some of those common themes are exactly what elkatas has posted. If you think it's shit, and that he should change his point of view I'd be very interested in how you meet new people. Personally, i fucking hate thinking and doing the type of stuff outlined in those books. So if you've found a way to pick up any women you want without using that shit you could make millions of dollars, right a book.

Yeah, I'm not thick, I know exactly what he's advocating.

I'm going to blunt: if you need to read a book on PUA to pick up chicks, you're pathetic.
    I'd be very interested in how you meet new people
    I treat them like human beings, for starters.

Pathetic like the people that have to use an Internet dating site?

Why are you in here again? obviously you don't need help picking up women, and your not offering any good advice to anyone on how to get that girl's phone number they think is so cute.

I agree that the attitude that comes with it is one of the worst ever. But if you're able to disect the information you would be able to see parallels with it and stuff like what is on the first page here. It's just the stuff in this thread is suited more for finding a relationship. And personally I find the stuff in elkatas first post that got bashed to be helpful. I didn't focus on the "cause cosmo says..." part of it but I don't feel it makes any less sound advice. He was just saying "Just met a girl and want her number? You better be more creative than 'can i have your number?' cause your gonna get shot down."

Buddies on
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Got a date today with a black chick who winked at me.

Whoever was lecturing everyone to date more black chicks, i'ma put your shit to the test.

yo

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Got a date today with a black chick who winked at me.

Whoever was lecturing everyone to date more black chicks, i'ma put your shit to the test.

yo

It went...fucking terrible. At first it was cool, but we just didn't have a lot in common, and she came off kind of vapid.

Ok really vapid.

I mean she works in a library and she doesn't like to read...

Jesus H Christ...

Jokerman on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm currently engaged in a purely platonic conversation with a mixed race woman who lives about 2,000 miles away but is moving to my town later this year.

Does that count?

SmokeStacks on
This discussion has been closed.