As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Expendables - August 13th, In a Fucking Theater, Where Violence Belongs

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Since we're talking about action movies, the mention of the Indy shoots the swordsman scene in Raiders made me think of the following scene from the original Assault On Precinct 13:

How the hell is that like the humorous shoot-the-disciplined-swordsman-from-twenty-paces Raiders scene with something that grim?!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart owes me five minutes of my life back.

edit: 5:27... I'm not letting you keep the change.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that... I'm not sure what that was. It was not the comedic action genius of the Raiders Shot.

I thought the lore behind that scene was that Ford was really, really sick that day. Actually, imdb confirms it:
    https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/9000/200/sol9254.html?sr=9094309
    The infamous scene in which Indy shoots a marauding and flamboyant swordsman was not in the original script. Harrison Ford was supposed to use his whip to get the swords out of his attacker's hands, but the food poisoning he and the rest of the crew had gotten made him too sick to perform the stunt. After several unsuccessful tries, Ford suggested "shooting the sucker." Steven Spielberg immediately took up the idea and the scene was successfully filmed.

Houn on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think Clint Eastwood has ever really made an action movie.

Don't get me wrong, I love Clint Eastwood, he's just not an action movie guy.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

The Rookie was pretty much a buddy action movie, it was also bad.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I'll clarify that I don't think he's ever made a good action movie.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I'll clarify that I don't think he's ever made a good action movie.

Ok now thats a true statement I can stand behind.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But

Paint Your Wagon

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The hardest part to this movie was probably drawing straws to see who gets killed, since none of them ever do in their respective franchises.

I'm sure they probably decided it over high stakes poker, bareknuckle boxing, or a drinking contest.

Dolph died twice in the first Universal Soldier, three time in the series. :P

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    I don't agree. I think it evolved from 80's action movies, but transcended them and in the process gave rise to a whole new set of tropes that then dominated 90's action movies along with Terminator 2.

Okay, but what the fuck does any of that theorizing have to do with Avatar being the best action movie ever?

Let's rewind:

"Avatar is the best action movie ever."
    "Nah, Die Hard and Raiders of the Lost Ark are better."
    "Die Hard is too 90's."
    OIC

Everything I've said up there has been a tangent. I didn't realize other people would assume I was making some sort of coherent and connected argument. :)

I do believe Avatar is better than those two movies as an action movie but I would perhaps rank Die Hard as #3. Not sure about Raiders. I actually have problems with Indiana Jones when I rewatch it nowadays. But Raiders is definitely up there.

I meant Die Hard is too 90's, in the context of what the Expendables should imitate.
    Or why Expendables needs to even achieve that level of greatness. If it climbs the mighty, cheesy hill that is Commando-level competence, it's a victory. A tacky, gory victory.
    I agree. I think we are on the same page, friend?

Qingu on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if we're on the same page, but I at least recognize the book you're reading from, how bout that :)

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The hardest part to this movie was probably drawing straws to see who gets killed, since none of them ever do in their respective franchises.

I'm sure they probably decided it over high stakes poker, bareknuckle boxing, or a drinking contest.
    It would be kind of awesome if most of them get killed in the initial set piece battle, and the rest of them get captured, and then the rest of the movie is them getting tortured and reduced to slobbering animals until one of them gives up the nuclear codes, and the film ends with a shot of earth from space where we can see mushroom clouds sprouting all over the US of A.

It's a twist!

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It would be kind of awesome if most of them get killed in the initial set piece battle, and the rest of them get captured, and then the rest of the movie is them getting tortured and reduced to slobbering animals until one of them gives up the nuclear codes, and the film ends with a shot of earth from space where we can see mushroom clouds sprouting all over the US of A.

It's a twist!

This is literally one of the dumbest posts I've ever read, congratulations sir.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I did not see Rambo 4.

First Blood was a damned masterpiece though, so maybe I should have more faith.

All you need to know about rambo 4, in this heroically glory video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLI0gAQtsIU

He still knows what brings the boys to the yard.
    Okay, watched it.

It is very 80's. In that it is extremely bloody and involves killing lots of brown people.

However, I'm sorry, but this is not actually a well-directed action sequence.

But then, few 80's action movies were well-directed, so I guess it's at least fitting in that regard.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Clint Eastwood couldn't do typical 80's action because it wouldn't be believable. Take Commando for instance. Bennett would never fucking DARE to talk to 80's Clint Eastwood the way he did with Matrix. It would have been all "yes sir", "no sir", "very sorry sir". "I swear I won't ever do anything like this again sir."

And then Clint would have shot him anyway.

Edit

Where's Bill Duke and Carl Weathers?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    qingu
    you are no longer invited onto the helicopter
    don't bother rsvping

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This is the best trailer, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgJtfffrl0

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this movie looks so fucking absurd and awesome. i can't wait.

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rambo vs Jet Li. The best part is after the credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fchR-7ppaus

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoever thought this up is getting a serious beer and a raise when this kicks ass in box offices.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sorry someone said AVATAR is one of the best action movies ever. What the heck are they smoking. It is nowhere near even the middle of the pack. I've lost faith in humanity, only otpion left is to take off and nuke it from orbit...

GaryO on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    This is the best trailer, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgJtfffrl0
    You are incorrect.

The "Call to Arms" allegedly-fan-made (I suspect it's actually made by a viral marketing firm) video in the OP is the best trailer.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Call to Arms is awesome. Trailer 2 is fucking epic. It gives you all you need to know; The fucking names! One line from each badass, a skull, and a throw back to the Crow since we all know Brandon Lee should have been in this.

It is everything the trailer for The Expendables should be.

Do you hear me?

universal-soldier.jpg

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahem.

Random Female checking in.

Yes, I will be going to see this movie.

Yes, if I had my SO with me I would be dragging him along.

Yes, I want to see this so bad I can feel the testosterone levels in my body rising.

The more guns that get shot and the more things explode, the happier female I am.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahem.

Yes, I want to see this so bad I can feel the testosterone levels in my body rising.

The more guns that get shot and the more things explode, the happier female I am.

Great.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    sorry someone said AVATAR is one of the best action movies ever. What the heck are they smoking. It is nowhere near even the middle of the pack. I've lost faith in humanity, only otpion left is to take off and nuke it from orbit...
    It had the best-directed and most creative action scenes in any movie.

Seriously, the way Cameron sets up the action in his movies is amazing. The pacing, the way he builds up your expectations and gives you a learning curve for what powers the people have. Notice how in Avatar's action, you know exactly where everything is and what is going on. Also, his action scenes actually have weight*. They aren't flying all over the place like in the Matrix, the CGI isn't airy and inconsequential. The last action movie I remember seeing before Avatar that felt as "realistic" was ... Terminator 2. Part of it was also the 3-D. The 3-D was fucking amazing.

*Talking here about the last half of the movie. The first's half's monster fights were pretty lame.
    And I was only high the first two times I saw it, I'll have you know.

Edit: I mean, compare the action in Avatar to the last fight in Rambo 4, which I just watched. You see a bunch of shots of Stallone with his big gun firing it and making faces. These are interspersed, somewhat randomly, with shots of people literally being torn apart from the bullets, and also with shots of a woman looking scared and gasping. There are other protagonists running around and killing people, but I don't know where they are, where they're coming from, or how they got to where they're going.

The "draw" of the action here seems to be entirely the fact that the bullets are so big that they rip people apart. That's cool, I guess, but it's not like the action is well-directed or otherwise creative.

Qingu on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ketherial wrote: »
    wait do kung fu movies count as action movies?

cause i would argue that even a not great jackie chan movie has better action than a lot of the action movies we're talking about.

I wouldn't include them, sub genre, normally you don't see guns/hero doesn't use them, and while Action movies do tend to have scenes of the hero going bare knuckles its more of a last resort/proof of manlyhood, then first line of attack.

Loren for me its a movie where the main character uses his gun as much as he talks, villains are cut and dry and you need at least three one liners.

oh god, this is so good. i want to just post a list of one liners now.

there better be some fucking awesome one liners in the expendables.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    It had the best-directed and most creative action scenes in any movie.

Seriously, the way Cameron sets up the action in his movies is amazing. The pacing, the way he builds up your expectations and gives you a learning curve for what powers the people have. Notice how in Avatar's action, you know exactly where everything is and what is going on. Also, his action scenes actually have weight*. They aren't flying all over the place like in the Matrix, the CGI isn't airy and inconsequential. The last action movie I remember seeing before Avatar that felt as "realistic" was ... Terminator 2. Part of it was also the 3-D. The 3-D was fucking amazing.

*Talking here about the last half of the movie. The first's half's monster fights were pretty lame.
    And I was only high the first two times I saw it, I'll have you know.

Edit: I mean, compare the action in Avatar to the last fight in Rambo 4, which I just watched. You see a bunch of shots of Stallone with his big gun firing it and making faces. These are interspersed, somewhat randomly, with shots of people literally being torn apart from the bullets, and also with shots of a woman looking scared and gasping. There are other protagonists running around and killing people, but I don't know where they are, where they're coming from, or how they got to where they're going.

The "draw" of the action here seems to be entirely the fact that the bullets are so big that they rip people apart. That's cool, I guess, but it's not like the action is well-directed or otherwise creative.

i think the matrix 2's burly man sequence and the ghost twins parking lot car chase sequence were better than anything in avatar. the cgi doesnt hold up well now when you watch it again (especially the burly man scene) but the first time i saw it, i was stunned.

i think terminator 2 is the best sequel movie ever made, but i dont actually think its action sequences were that great.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Damn it Qingu, put the shovel down! It was a decent sci-flick at best. No one in this thread will ever see it as anything more than that other than you. It was pretty, there you go. The mech knife was cool. Everything else was bloated, dragged out, and over rated.

The reality is that Avatar has no place in this thread. This is about testosterone fueled bad assery; the very thing avatar was preaching against. The only person in that film who would be accepted in this movie was the bad guy. That should be a clue.

Now discuss your love of Predator, Cobra, and Red Scorpion. Anything more is entirely too civilized.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    arnold-schwarzenegger-big_muscle.jpg
    i'm so pumped up

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahem.

Random female #2 checking in.

I'm seeing this with my dad. This is definitely a dad movie.

I'm pretty sure I'm more pumped than he is.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I quickly read the thread, so please correct me if this was already posted:

If you thought The Expendables wasn't 80's enough, you have to check this out!

http://www.facebook.com/expendablesmovie?v=app_136379469711900

(You need a facebook account, and "like" The expendables, but by reading this thread, looks like most of you do.)

Huh, this is new; the last time I played you could only play it on facebook, but you can also check this page out: http://www.break.com/games/the-expendables-8-bit-game.html

IT'S A GAME FROM THE MOVIE! INSPIRED IN 8-BIT CONTRA!

.. I can even say it's fun!

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One question: Where the fuck is Keith David, Goddammit!?

Oh well.

I seeing this with my bro. This movie all about the cast and will probably wind-up being underwhelming as a result, but whatever. Stallone delivered a pleasant surprise with Rambo IV, so maybe he'll do it again.

Also: Someone was saying earlier that Avatar is 'the greatest action movie ever'. That person must be a silly goose.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Avatar is not the best action movie. It's barely a good movie, but in no way does it even touch the top 20 of action movies. Avatar has like one actual badass and it's the villain, so no, it's not the best action movie. Telling me that Avatar is somehow better than anything John Woo has ever filmed is the mark of a crazy person. Telling me that stuff written by Shane Black is inferior to Avatar is blasphemy. Etc etc Avatar is decent and only that.

So what am I expecting from The Expendables? At least Bad Boys 2-levels of crazy-awesome.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Look, I'm all for Keith David, or even David Keith if KD is unavailable, since they're interchangeable and all... : )

However, some people got old, and didn't bother to take roids or keep working out. It's just a sad fact.

Also, I can't watch Keith David anymore without going to a mental image of his character in Mass Effect making Jennifer Connoly blow him for tar heroin and then go ass to ass.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Look, I'm all for Keith David, or even David Keith if KD is unavailable, since they're interchangeable and all... : )

However, some people got old, and didn't bother to take roids or keep working out. It's just a sad fact.

Also, I can't watch Keith David anymore without going to a mental image of his character in Mass Effect making Jennifer Connoly blow him for tar heroin and then go ass to ass.

Right but that is all only after he gets in a fight with Rowdy Roddy Piper while trying to record a Navy commercial in Antarctica.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Or fixing an arcade for Mr. Rogers.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Or fixing an arcade for Mr. Rogers.

Now all I can think of is Laurence Fishburne as a cowboy.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or Benicio DelToro as Dogboy?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will be eating raw meat still on the leg of a cow I murdered, drinking Steel Reserve from the 16 ounce can when I watch this movie.
    Provided you open the can from the side, with your teeth, that will do.

A guy I used to play Ultimate Frisbee with could open the top of a beer can with his teeth.

And, I don't mean the pop tab kind of open.

He would bit with his incisors all the way around the top of the can, then would remove the entire top part of the can and chug the beer.

I watched him. I don't know if I am manily enough to be in this thread.

Burtletoy on