Options

SKËTCH's Thing-a-magig! 06/05

SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
Probably the baddest mo-fo in movie history.

Inking in a few moment. Fire away with the C&C if you'd like! That's always appreciated!:P

SnakeWIP.jpg

SketchTheArtist.jpg
SketchTheArtist on

• Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I take that to be Kurt Russell's "Snake" character from the escape from New York movies, correct? Nice job over all. Needs more 5:00 shadow though.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No crits. Just awesome.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Kuro Hou wrote: »
    I take that to be Kurt Russell's "Snake" character from the escape from New York movies, correct? Nice job over all. Needs more 5:00 shadow though.

Yeah, that's one of his many trademarks. ;-) I'll do that with the colors.

Thanks guys!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dunno of it's just me, the gun seems a little flat... but I guess you'll fix that with your inks :)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    His left foot (our right) seems to be a bit smaller than his other foot. Aside from that, very nice! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    his head seems like it might be a bit too large.

EDIT

dropped it in ps, and measured.
    usually people are 7 1/2 heads tall, which would lead me to believe his head is a tad large.

headstallos9.jpg

you can easily free transform it down a bit though.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wouldnt worry about it, the head size is within the bounds of style.

I'm eager to see how the inks turn out

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I stopped doing the realistic stuff. I like going the cartoon way, it has more punch and adds more style to the character I think.;-)

Here are the inks! I enlarged his right shoulder a bit, now it's a bit more balanced! C&C please!:P

SnakeINK.jpg

EDIT:

His left foot (our right) seems to be a bit smaller than his other foot. Aside from that, very nice!

Thanks! I'll fix that later! ;-)

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man I love the style of this.

Seems to be asking for some slightly heavier inks though, almost like Gabe's style.

Brolo on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really really like it and i'm not much of an artist myself, but as a viewer, is it me or does his right forearm look wrong compared to his left? It's too wide just after the elbow and at the wrist. I might be wrong, just something that stuck out.

Johannen on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wow, tight inks.
    is that photoshop freehand? if so you have a steady hand.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    sketchartist04sketchartist04 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really like this image. My only critiques would be to keep the shoulder smaller as you did before. I think it helps define dimension to the semi-3/4 turn you have in the upper torso, and add to the posture of the figure. Also, I agree with the foot, and I think the critique needs to travel up into the ankle, as well. A slightly thicker ankle, a larger foot, and bringing the heel further down than its partnered heel, will help to bring that foot forward. That combined with the shoulder, will make a more dynamic, static pose. (contradiction, anyone?)

At least, that's my opinion.

sketchartist04 on
    Hey, look! It's Public Broadcasting, we're going to learn something!
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just love this and I agree that it would benefit from having a heavier ink line.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bad ass!

there needs to be something exploding in the background to make it complete.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for all the kind words guys!

@ROLO: Don't know, I kinda like it with these lines. Maybe I'll change them later when I start coloring.;-)

@JOHANNEN: His right forearm is loose while the one on the left is contracted so the forearm part of the jacket will be less wide.

@NakedZergling: You bet! Been practicing for a few years and I'm getting a bit better at it: Sketching, Pencilling, Inking and Coloring all done freehanded with Photoshop! :P

@sketchartist04: Yeah, I see what you mean. The foot will be worked on but the shoulder I'm still not sure and but it's noted. Thanks. ;-)

@DanHibiki: Thought about it but I'm just gonna do a dark background with a light emmanating around the match to direct the attention towards that light.

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pheew. Finally finished! Just been accepted at Ubisoft's Campus in the 3D modelling program! Pretty excited!

C&C away guys!

Snake.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Welcome to the human race.

god I love shitty movies.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the highlights on the jacket are a little smooth for the straight-edgedness of the lines and colors. Could also use a background, though it's not necessary. Also, I really don't like the side view on the gun he's holding. If you had put some shading/highlights on it, it might pass off, but as it is now it is way too flat in comparison to everything else. Also, the fire on the match should be brighter.

Besides that, I really like it. The line weight is really good, though there are spots where the uniformness of the lines flattens it and makes it less appealing (boots, gun, etc.). I really like how the pants worked out, something about the shades/color and the pattern make them really aesthetically pleasing in the cartoony sense.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, his pants and legs are fucking super. The background is not so appealing though.

Looks very nice overall though, nice job.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pheew. Finally finished! Just been accepted at Ubisoft's Campus in the 3D modelling program! Pretty excited!

D:

Hi5 + EXTREME JEALOUSLY
    hi5.

What are the tuition fees like, btw? And how long is the program? I didn't even know they had it up and running yet!

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah, I think I went a bit too much with line work on the gun and switching from the line work to lighting it might have been a better option.

@Recoil42: Hi5, bud!

The program is starting May 28th and it's gonna be the third year they have opened. The programs are a whole year long seperated into 3 semesters of 15 weeks each. Tuition is 85$ for each semester which is a fuckin' joke since more than 90% of the graduates get job offers from various Game Companies like Ubisoft, EA, A2M and more. You start your career and you don't even have any debts linked to Student Loans!
    The program I choosed is 3D Modeling but there are others like Level Design, Animation and Game Design (University-level students only). I was freakin' nervous since there was 180 candidates for the 3D program and they picked 25 based on your portfolio, an interview and a drawing/writing test.

If you have any questions, ask away!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah, I think I went a bit too much with line work on the gun and switching from the line work to lighting it might have been a better option.

The program is starting May 28th and it's gonna be the third year they have opened. The programs are a whole year long seperated into 3 semesters of 15 weeks each. Tuition is 85$ for each semester which is a fuckin' joke since more than 90% of the graduates get job offers from various Game Companies like Ubisoft, EA, A2M and more. You start your career and you don't even have any debts linked to Student Loans!
    The program I choosed is 3D Modeling but there are others like Level Design, Animation and Game Design (University-level students only). I was freakin' nervous since there was 180 candidates for the 3D program and they picked 25 based on your portfolio, an interview and a drawing/writing test.

They make the tuition that cheap for a reason; they're more commited to churning out top quality artists than making a quick buck. I'm sure the only reason why it's $85 in the first place is to strictly cover basic costs and nothing more. Hell, they might even be taking a hit here money-wise.

I'm sure it's hard as fuck to get into one of these things, so be damn proud that you got your foot in the door.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I think so too. But don't worry, I'm grateful and I still can't believe it myself.

They have a lot of class to prepare ourselves to work in a Game Production environment. It's not a simple 3D program.

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it might work better if your darkened the light gray lines a bit.

Otherwise I approve 100% of your work

And I may be biased>_>

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I think so too. But don't worry, I'm grateful and I still can't believe it myself.

They have a lot of class to prepare ourselves to work in a Game Production environment. It's not a simple 3D program.

This is probably the equivalent of what you just snagged:

http://www.conceptart.org/school/main.shtml

Serves the same exact purpose as the school you're currently going to attend, and pretty much guarantees a surplus of work and involvement in many high-end projects for a good while upon graduation. Although i'm not sure if the school you're going to attend will be as strict as Conceptart.org's Atelier, I can say that you're pretty much going to get the same amount of work and flexibility as it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The English version of the site is STILL in the works but here's the rundown on the class I'll attend to during my stay there.

Basic Classes - Meaning that ALL the students attending the school will participate in those classes.

- Introduction to the Game industry

- Illustration: The basic techniques of drawing.

- Introduction to Game Design

- 3D Visuals I

- 3D animation I

- Game Analysis

Specific Classes - For 3D Modeling students only

- 3D Visuals II

- Character Modeling

- Analysis and Critic of content

- Lighting and Rendering

- Materials

- 2D Visuals

- Conferences and Workshops

- Final Projects:

Either creating new contents for a portfolio OR work in a Game Studio as an intern.

Guys, I'm gonna have a blast!!:P

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dunno how to change the title of the thread but here's a new piece I'm working on. Enjoy! C&C always welcomed!

SoldierWIP.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Where is this school located?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    To change the thread title, double-click on it in the forum index.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    @Kewop: In Montreal.

@Orikaeshigitae: Thanks a lot man!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    something about that pose seems a little off. I'm not sure what it is though. I think the way his legs are turned conflicts with his upper body (or visa-versa).

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, to me it holds up. I do that mirror trick where you flip the image to see if the pose is off and it doesn't look like it.

Here's the ink. ;-)

SoldierINK.jpg

Time to hit the bed!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think its because the dudes right leg (the one out front) is full profile view while the rest of the body is pivoted so you can see the the front, like uhhh... 3/4th view. kinda.

Corgi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Corgi wrote: »
    I think its because the dudes right leg (the one out front) is full profile view while the rest of the body is pivoted so you can see the the front, like uhhh... 3/4th view. kinda.

That and his back leg is almost on the same level of his front, which is pretty hard for him to do with quads that big and in that position. Also, doing that would be uncomfortable as hell.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yup, I really dig this but I think his right leg (our left) is too much of a perfect profile. It should be pointing in that general direction, but it sort of looks slightly twisted to far. Also, I'd recommend putting more effort into the background for this one since the Snake one lacked.

Pifman on
    PA-Signature.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Woof! Been a while, but I'm finally finished!

SoldierWEB.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Very Gabe-like, which is good :)

However something that you should watch is the way that you have many of the forms in the picture going off in the same angle. It really does make the image a lot more static than it could have been.. infact with it happening some much, its kinda distracting...

linesja6.jpg

Also the lighting source you used on the character (straight left to right) isn't quite matching up with your shadow (angled from left front to right.)

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    1. The body is still in a odd position

2. You didn't address the feet, which are on the EXACT same level

3. That shadow moving from his body to the wall makes little sense because it gives off the feeling that he's really close. the way the shadow stretches is odd because the majority of his shoe shad is one the wall which is bit of a stretch.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    decoy_octopusdecoy_octopus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Godfather wrote: »

This is probably the equivalent of what you just snagged:

http://www.conceptart.org/school/main.shtml

Serves the same exact purpose as the school you're currently going to attend, and pretty much guarantees a surplus of work and involvement in many high-end projects for a good while upon graduation. Although i'm not sure if the school you're going to attend will be as strict as Conceptart.org's Atelier, I can say that you're pretty much going to get the same amount of work and flexibility as it.

Yeah that conceptart.org school looks really amazing. I think I might even apply. Although I'm having trouble figuring out where its located. The location of that other school in Montreal sounds cool. Although I don't know if I would want to go to Montreal, I know it used to have an amazing art/bohemian scene. But I hear in recent the scene is changing a lot and only the shell of the movement is left. Just a town full of posers, not doers. Anyone have a first hand experience?

decoy_octopus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    @CyberMonkey: Thanks man! Yeah, Mike's work has inspired me a lot, just like he was moved by Silver's work. Also, thanks for the heads-up on the static pose; I get that the positions of the arms and legs of a character needs to be varied. It's noted for future illustrations!

@Kewop: Yeah, about the shadow, I did it hastily without thinking about it. It was just a quick character concept but I wanted to have a shadow on the wall, so I let the laws of lights and shadows take a break for this one. ;-)

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg