As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brand Spanking New Laptop Freezing

Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This is the second time around I've had to write this as I just had to restart my laptop again, so I'll be brief.

I just got a new Acer Aspire 7745 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit OS on it. I like it for the most part - Windows 7 is pretty and it seems to be fast - but my big problem with it is that it likes to freeze.

I've noticed that it either freezes when a) I am starting it up or getting it out of sleep mode, or b) When I try to repair my wireless connection. Sometimes there is a problem with my wireless and it says I have "limited connectivity" even though I can connect with the wireless quite well with my iPod Touch. When I go to repair this, it freezes.

Admittedly, I'm not the best at technology and so I would appreciate any help that anyone would be willing to offer. For what it's worth, the event log is spoiler'd below. And before anyone asks, I have run Windows Update and gotten the bloatware off of the laptop. I just received it in the mail yesterday. I'm wouldn't hesitate sending it back for a replacement, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible.
Log Name: Application
Source: LMS
Date: 8/25/2010 11:02:52 PM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Matt_S
Description:
LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver

Log Name: Security
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog
Date: 8/25/2010 11:02:46 PM
Event ID: 1101
Task Category: Event processing
Level: Error
Keywords: Audit Success
User: N/A
Description:
Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 8/25/2010 11:02:28 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: EventLog
Date: 8/25/2010 11:02:45 PM
Event ID: 6008
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 11:00:29 PM on ‎8/‎25/‎2010 was unexpected.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
Date: 8/25/2010 10:48:46 PM
Event ID: 1014
Keywords:
User: NETWORK SERVICE
Description:
Name resolution for the name wpad.hsd1.wa.comcast.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Source: LMS
Date: 8/25/2010 10:34:51 PM
Event ID: 1
Description:
LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver

Log Name: Security
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog
Date: 8/25/2010 10:34:43 PM
Event ID: 1101
Task Category: Event processing
Keywords: Audit Success
Description:
Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 8/25/2010 10:34:29 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: EventLog
Date: 8/25/2010 10:34:42 PM
Event ID: 6008
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 10:31:53 PM on ‎8/‎25/‎2010 was unexpected.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
Date: 8/25/2010 10:23:27 PM
Event ID: 1014
Keywords:
User: NETWORK SERVICE
Description:
Name resolution for the name www.facebook.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Source: SideBySide
Date: 8/25/2010 10:06:51 PM
Event ID: 35
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMaker.Exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\WLMFDS.DLL" on line 8. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Definition is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMaker.Exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\WLMFDS.DLL" on line 8. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Definition is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Description:

I would appreciate any help that is available. Thanks!

Matt_S on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's your computer's specs?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Intel Core i3-350M processor (2.26 GHZ, 3MB L3 cache)
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB hard drive
    Intel HD graphics
    Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n
    Windows 7 64 bit

Matt_S on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Where did you buy it?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I purchased it online from Walmart.com, and it was delivered via FedEx

Matt_S on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been having a very similar problem with my brand new Toshiba and it freezing after bringing it out of sleep mode. It'll work fine for a couple of seconds to a minute but then it will just completely freeze up. I've taken to always shutting it off once I'm done using it now instead of putting it into sleep mode. I had considered that it may be because I've got it constantly plugged in (I'm using it as my primary PC atm), but I can't imagine that as being what the issue were unless there were some sort of overload after coming out of sleep and trying to restart all the processes.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This can happen when you uninstall certain 'bloatware' from the manufacturer. Did you do a complete imaging of the laptop when you first got it? Usually they come with utilities to completely image the disk the first time you open and boot up.

Uninstalling third party apps can usually be safe, but say uninstalling 'Acer' related things can be hit or miss. Did you do any of that?

Tejs on