As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] Thread: Other M is out! Mind your spoiler tags!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think in this case his assumption is fair. We haven't been playing "Anthony vs the Metroids" for 20 years, so I'm pretty sure Samus has more experience.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, you can't assume anything other than that he's a soldier. Maybe he's been fighting monsters/space pirates for a while, maybe not.

Lucid on
  • Options
    SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think in this case his assumption is fair. We haven't been playing "Anthony vs the Metroids" for 20 years, so I'm pretty sure Samus has more experience.

Except that is what it is, an assumption. Doesn't matter if it is a fair one or not. That's like me saying you have a lot of experience playing video games. I don't know for sure but I can assume you do. Anthony is a Galactic Federation Soldier, I am pretty sure he has some combat experience and just by his demeanor in the game, I am going to go ahead and say, quite a bit of experience. If anything, I am sure he has had a ton of training.

Two points to support above:

1. The military doesn't just give the heavy weapons to anyone, they give it to the most competant soldiers and then they train them heavily with it. Point here is that Anthony was the only one that had the heavy weapon.

2. The team only consisted of a few people. A militaristic small group generally means Special Forces, Rangers, Navy Seals, Marine Recon or even Delta Force. They were probably the best of the best or at least one of the beat the Galactic Federation has to offer.

I base my assumptions off of real life experiences. Others seem to be doing it for the sake of argument. I don't necessarily like the plot, gameplay, etc. but I at least recognize that a lot of it is plausable and more than likely given my personal experencies with the military and law enforcement.

Syrionus on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    boy it sure was nice when you were gone

soooo much less stupid apologia

Rust on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »

Do us a favor and stay gone too, ok?

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited September 2010

you know you miss the melodious cadence of my posts

and the tasty truth contained therein

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It's funny how your last two posts were pointless and actually kinda rude. Now I know you are incapable but at least try to prgress the thread with intelligent debate. We do give points for trying.

Syrionus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Syrionus wrote: »

It's funny how your last two posts were pointless and actually kinda rude. Now I know you are incapable but at least try to prgress the thread with intelligent debate. We do give points for trying.

maybe you could try making a coherent point that isn't limited to whacking off over your military service

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

maybe you could try making a coherent point that isn't limited to whacking off over your military service

So personal experiences are not something to be proud of? Escpecially if it's related to the topic at hand? Why are you so hostile to the fact that I served in the military? Were you rejected? What is the reason for your ad hominem? In any event, stop derailing the thread.

Syrionus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

So personal experiences are not something to be proud of? Escpecially if it's related to the topic at hand? Why are you so hostile to the fact that I served in the military? Were you rejected? What is the reason for your ad hominem?

how about you take a tep back and consider the fact that you are trying to claim a high position on arguing about a video game - and an obviously poorly researched and written one, at that - by squawking over and over again that you, like, know stuff about the army, man

if you want to sling around fallacies, that's a pretty big one right there, and it would be dumb as shit even if it weren't in such an irrelevant context

i've at least managed to back up my points with actual arguments, while all you've done is sling around the manga and then your stint in the military to try and shout down any contrary point

Rust on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust, I don't think you've managed to convince anyone of anything other than that you're an asshole. It's ok to engage in a passionate discussion but you've been arrogant, insulting and completely dismissive of anything contrary to your opinion. You don't have a lot of friends, do you?

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

Except that is what it is, an assumption. Doesn't matter if it is a fair one or not. That's like me saying you have a lot of experience playing video games. I don't know for sure but I can assume you do. Anthony is a Galactic Federation Soldier, I am pretty sure he has some combat experience and just by his demeanor in the game, I am going to go ahead and say, quite a bit of experience. If anything, I am sure he has had a ton of training.

Two points to support above:

1. The military doesn't just give the heavy weapons to anyone, they give it to the most competant soldiers and then they train them heavily with it. Point here is that Anthony was the only one that had the heavy weapon.

2. The team only consisted of a few people. A militaristic small group generally means Special Forces, Rangers, Navy Seals, Marine Recon or even Delta Force. They were probably the best of the best or at least one of the beat the Galactic Federation has to offer.

I base my assumptions off of real life experiences. Others seem to be doing it for the sake of argument. I don't necessarily like the plot, gameplay, etc. but I at least recognize that a lot of it is plausable and more than likely given my personal experencies with the military and law enforcement.

Suggesting that Anthony is more adept at killing metroids and space pirates by himself is laughable.

If you're making the "fair" assumption that Anthony is a trained soldier based upon what it means to be in the special forces, then I can make a "fair" assumption that it's ridiculous that someone who has single handedly killed Ridley four times, Kraid twice, numerous other space pirates more than once, and the single greatest threat to the universe pretty much every game would be paralyzed with fear and anxiety, whereas someone who hasn't even come close to single-handedly handling anything remotely close to Ridley wouldn't think twice and hop right in, even though it's pretty clear that he's going to get his shit pushed in.

I'm basing their combat experience upon evidence provided by the game - what are you basing yours on?

Assumptions.

And the silly thing is your assumptions still don't explain away why what amounts to a super soldier becomes paralyzed over something she's killed four times, whereas a grunt, albeit a specially trained grunt, doesn't.

Don't be ridiculous.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Considering the Federation turns to Samus to fight the Space Pirates all the damn times, I think we can conclude that she has more experience dealing with them and their leader. As if they could do it without her, presumably they would.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You're lacking a lot of information too, though, and just as many assumptions.

Not based on Anthony's experience, but this specific quote:
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    And the silly thing is your assumptions still don't explain away why what amounts to a super soldier becomes paralyzed over something she's killed four times, whereas a grunt, albeit a specially trained grunt, doesn't.

Don't be ridiculous.

First, remember that Samus has also single handedly lost to Ridley at least twice, while Anthony hasn't yet. Doesn't it stand to reason that he might be more headstrong because he doesn't know what kind of threat this is, and he's the guy holding the big gun, and the monster's not even focused on him? It's far easier to be brave when you're not the target, and when you think you've got someone to defend, and when you've been hot shit up to that point.

I'm not sure why you keep trawling up this argument when it's been ridiculous since its first occurrence. Easily explained away earlier in the thread, and in multiple ways:
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I can understand Samus being shocked as hell to see Ridley, considering the last time you ran into him in Super Metroid you sort of killed him and then blew up the planet his corpse was on. Samus had probably put him completely behind her and seeing him like was no doubt shocking.

Right, and her narration at the start makes it sound like several years passed, if not more. People forgot about Space Pirates and Metroids! Samus thought that chapter of her life was over.

I still say that the method of his return (and her role in it) also played a factor.

If you're still saying, nope, none of that matters, there's no explanation...that's essentially abandoning all logic in defense of a single point, just so that you can feel justified in disliking it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You're lacking a lot of information too, though, and just as many assumptions.

Not based on Anthony's experience, but this specific quote:

Don't be ridiculous.

First, remember that Samus has also single handedly lost to Ridley at least twice, while Anthony hasn't yet. Doesn't it stand to reason that he might be more headstrong because he doesn't know what kind of threat this is, and he's the guy holding the big gun, and the monster's not even focused on him? It's far easier to be brave when you're not the target, and when you think you've got someone to defend, and when you've been hot shit up to that point.

I'm not sure why you keep trawling up this argument when it's been ridiculous since its first occurrence. Easily explained away earlier in the thread, and in multiple ways:
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I can understand Samus being shocked as hell to see Ridley, considering the last time you ran into him in Super Metroid you sort of killed him and then blew up the planet his corpse was on. Samus had probably put him completely behind her and seeing him like was no doubt shocking.

Right, and her narration at the start makes it sound like several years passed, if not more. People forgot about Space Pirates and Metroids! Samus thought that chapter of her life was over.

I still say that the method of his return (and her role in it) also played a factor.

If you're still saying, nope, none of that matters, there's no explanation...that's essentially abandoning all logic in defense of a single point, just so that you can feel justified in disliking it.

No, I'm saying that shock is not the equivalent of paralysis lasting nearly 5-10 seconds as the leader of the space pirates slowly looms towards you. Shock is not going into a traumatic breakdown over a villain you've killed four times.

Samus can be shocked and even intimidated.

She realistically shouldn't be crippled.

Sorry sporky, it isn't me that's living in fantasy land.

The only reason why I keep hammering this point home is because somehow people can't grasp the difference between crippling fear and anxiety compared to shock and surprise, or even intimidation. Taking a step back is intimidation. Turning into a metaphorical child is crippling fear.

Which is ridiculous.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Realistically, she has been crippled by Ridley in the same way at least twice.

She's been crippled by other things quite often as well, some of them being less threatening than Ridley (i.e., a particularly hard knock against a wall. But nobody criticizes the Primes.)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Realistically, she has been crippled by Ridley in the same way at least twice.

She's been crippled by other things quite often as well, some of them being less threatening than Ridley (i.e., a particularly hard knock against a wall. But nobody criticizes the Primes.)

So you're conflating physical trauma with mental trauma now?

You're saying a physical blow to the wall which hurts, and reasonably would leave you dazed is the same kind of cripple as one where a looming monster leaves someone's knees weak and therefore they cannot act?

Why am I even asking a question - that's what you're literally saying - that's absurd.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be that hard to cripple Samus either way.

Actually if you watch the scene from Prime where she sees Ridley she reacts the exact same way as in Other M: pointing her gun at him, not shooting at all, and then kicking herself when she recovers a few seconds later. This is pattern behavior.

EDIT: Anyway, none of that's really relevant, you haven't said anything to disprove any of the statements above, just made a blanket statement about how she can't be shocked, she just can't be. There's no evidence, you're just making an assumption in spite of evidence to the contrary.

She wasn't shocked, anyway. Most people don't experience traumatic flashbacks just because they're surprised. It's PTSD, as has been said many times.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be that hard to cripple Samus either way.

That's incredibly disingenuous then. Why would you even bring it up then - it's not even relevant to what we're talking about - which is Samus being crippled because of the emotional trauma of simply seeing Ridley.

Actually if you watch the scene from Prime where she sees Ridley she reacts the exact same way as in Other M: pointing her gun at him, not shooting at all, and then kicking herself when she recovers a few seconds later. This is pattern behavior.

You're arguing here that Samus feels the same crippling fear in Prime that she felt in Metroid Other M.

You're trying to honestly argue that she reacts the same exact way starting at 5:51 of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSXhN_pUJLQ&feature=related

As she does in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwN5jS4bt4&feature=related

Let me run through the first video.

She hears a noise, a roar, looks around with her gun, sees ridley, hesitates (which may be interpreted as intimidation) and that is all.

In the second video, spoilered for those of you still playing...
    She first opens up in the same way - hears a noise, raises her gun, looks around.

Ridley appears. She gasps, then as he slowly approaches her, she starts taking not one, not two, but several steps back.

She begins to breathe heavily, suggesting a massive amount of anxiety.

Her voice quivers as she says "Ridley?!" with surprise.

She then, visually and metaphorically, turns into a child, holding her hands to her face while wimpering AND crying.

She then LOWERS HER GUN presumably because of her crippling fear while taking more steps back.

A trooper starts yelling at her.

She says "It can't be!"

This entire scene literally takes 20-30 seconds.

And then continues.

Sporky, you're not only disingenuous, but you're also delusional. It's really quite absurd, because if I took this to any stranger on the street, they'd realize that the two scenes, what they suggest, and how they play out are incredibly different.

They also elicit different emotional responses.

You're wrong. Deal with it instead of trying to say that this is the same Samus we've grown up with while hoping I won't dig up the evidence.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    MattnyxMattnyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    <sigh> I wasn't going to jump in here untill I finished the game all the way but...

I loved that sean. The one with Ridley. That a lot of people seem to think destroys Samus. I didn't see it that way.
    I saw it as Ridley being Samus' personal bogeyman. We all have those things that just freak us out. Even the invisible people. When everyone bagged on this scene it sound like she curled into a little ball and started weeping whilst Adam lectured everyone in a 10 mile radius on how to properly treat the "weaker" sex. Instead I got a scene of Samus getting one heck of a nasty shock from the monster that had destroyed her world multiple times over and that she had thought was dead and blow into space dust with the rest of a planet. She then gets ruffed up as she composes her self, helped out by a friend who Ridley who then gets killed buy the said monster specifically to mess with Samus. She then kicks monster's ass so hard (in one hell of a boss battle) that rather then fight to death, he flees from her as fast as he can with her in hot pursuit. She starts hunting Ridley down, quite literally going after her own boogeyman.

I'll post my full thoughts on the game once I'm at 100% done.

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

EDIT: Anyway, none of that's really relevant, you haven't said anything to disprove any of the statements above, just made a blanket statement about how she can't be shocked, she just can't be. There's no evidence, you're just making an assumption in spite of evidence to the contrary.

She wasn't shocked, anyway. Most people don't experience traumatic flashbacks just because they're surprised. It's PTSD, as has been said many times.

The fuck are you talking about. I didn't say that she wasn't shocked or that it was impossible for her to be shocked. I said that in Other M, she was crippled with fear. I said if anything being shocked WOULD be the appropriate response - but only that based upon her previous experiences.

And most people don't suddenly develop PTSD after fighting the same thing for 10-15 years that would theoretically have given her PTSD all those times.

Let me explain it to you.

Traumatic incident? Check. At this point, you'd probably say the chances of PTSD would be present after that experience. Her traumatic experience was when her parents were killed by Ridley.

She literally encountered the same fucking thing four times and triumphed, with NO signs of PTSD. If she suffered from it, she would have had that same crippling fear in all the games. If anything, the FIRST time she encountered Ridley we should have seen some sort of response.

Suddenly, on the fifth encounter, PTSD shows up? She also manages to RECOVER FROM THE PTSD DURING THE FIGHT!?

Sorry, my Uncle suffered from it after vietnam. That is not how it fucking works.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mattnyx wrote: »
    <sigh> I wasn't going to jump in here untill I finished the game all the way but...

I loved that sean. The one with Ridley. That a lot of people seem to think destroys Samus. I didn't see it that way.
    I saw it as Ridley being Samus' personal bogeyman. We all have those things that just freak us out. Even the invisible people. When everyone bagged on this scene it sound like she curled into a little ball and started weeping whilst Adam lectured everyone in a 10 mile radius on how to properly treat the "weaker" sex. Instead I got a scene of Samus getting one heck of a nasty shock from the monster that had destroyed her world multiple times over and that she had thought was dead and blow into space dust with the rest of a planet. She then gets ruffed up as she composes her self, helped out by a friend who Ridley who then gets killed buy the said monster specifically to mess with Samus. She then kicks monster's ass so hard (in one hell of a boss battle) that rather then fight to death, he flees from her as fast as he can with her in hot pursuit. She starts hunting Ridley down, quite literally going after her own boogeyman.

I'll post my full thoughts on the game once I'm at 100% done.

I'm not talking about sexism here - I'm talking about consistent and realistic character development.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    MattnyxMattnyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Strangely enough, so am I.

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    And how about we talk about it more calmly in the future.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

That's incredibly disingenuous then. Why would you even bring it up then - it's not even relevant to what we're talking about - which is Samus being crippled because of the emotional trauma of simply seeing Ridley.
    Chill out, this isn't college debate class. It's just a riff on the word "crippled," you didn't specify emotionally.
    You're wrong. Deal with it instead of trying to say that this is the same Samus we've grown up with while hoping I won't dig up the evidence.

I watched the video just before I posted, and there's barely any difference.

Let's compare honestly for once - evidence from the game why Samus is justified in being temporarily disabled:

- Samus' parents were killed in front of her by Ridley, enough to seriously emotionally scar anyone
    - Samus has crumbled in front of Ridley at least twice, and hesitated at least three times; it's pattern behavior
    - Unlike previous attempts, the last time she encountered Ridley he was utterly destroyed and his planet was blown up; she knew it was over
    - Enough time has passed since then for people to actually forget about space pirates, previously stated to be the single greatest threat to the galaxy
    - When he approaches her in Other M, it is in exactly the same way he did after killing her parents

evidence from the game why Samus is not justified in being temporarily disabled:

- Samus has given Ridley a beating four times (though only really killed him once)

evidence from outside the game why Samus is not justified in being temporarily disabled:

- it's "ridiculous."

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find all of this talk about the Ridley scene kind of strange. I personally found the scene where
    Adam shoots Samus in the back with a pistol
    to be far and away the worst scene in the game.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    She literally encountered the same fucking thing four times and triumphed, with NO signs of PTSD. If she suffered from it, she would have had that same crippling fear in all the games. If anything, the FIRST time she encountered Ridley we should have seen some sort of response.

She did have that response the first time (Metroid 1 being her second time). Her first encounter even had the same situation with the suit turning off.

Oh, I did forget to add some points to the list above, addressing Samus' past fear:

- Storytelling wasn't Nintendo's focus at the time, but they've made it obvious now that she has been afraid previously.
    - Despite that fear, it was greatly dampened in Metroid 1 because she knew she was going to fight Ridley. She took the fight to him.
    - She hesitated and let him escape in Prime. Again she knew she was going to fight him and took the battle to him.
    - She let her fear get the better of her in Super Metroid, when Ridley ambushed her and stole the hatchling. This is analogous to Other M's Ridley scene.
    - Again she knew she was going to fight Ridley in Super, and took the fight to him.

This is one of those times that she was caught off guard, as in the past. Off guard Samus = trauma, ready Samus = win. It's been repeated throughout the games over and over.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Chill out, this isn't college debate class. It's just a riff on the word "crippled," you didn't specify emotionally.

I did specify emotionally.

If you're making the "fair" assumption that Anthony is a trained soldier based upon what it means to be in the special forces, then I can make a "fair" assumption that it's ridiculous that someone who has single handedly killed Ridley four times, Kraid twice, numerous other space pirates more than once, and the single greatest threat to the universe pretty much every game would be paralyzed with fear and anxiety, whereas someone who hasn't even come close to single-handedly handling anything remotely close to Ridley wouldn't think twice and hop right in, even though it's pretty clear that he's going to get his shit pushed in.

And "chill out, this isn't a college debate class" is another way of saying "woah dude, I'm totally wrong, don't take this so seriously and prove me wrong!"

I watched the video just before I posted, and there's barely any difference.

Let's compare honestly for once - evidence from the game why Samus is justified in being temporarily disabled:

- Samus' parents were killed in front of her by Ridley, enough to seriously emotionally scar anyone
    - Samus has crumbled in front of Ridley at least twice, and hesitated at least three times; it's pattern behavior
    - Unlike previous attempts, the last time she encountered Ridley he was utterly destroyed and his planet was blown up; she knew it was over
    - Enough time has passed since then for people to actually forget about space pirates, previously stated to be the single greatest threat to the galaxy
    - When he approaches her in Other M, it is in exactly the same way he did after killing her parents

evidence from the game why Samus is not justified in being temporarily disabled:

- Samus has given Ridley a beating four times (though only really killed him once)

evidence from outside the game why Samus is not justified in being temporarily disabled:

- it's "ridiculous."

Okay - if you want to prove your point, bring in the evidence.

1) show me that she doesn't kill him in the previous games. Every source out there shows Ridley dying. Every game out there shows Ridley dying. That's why they need to clone him. Show me evidence instead of asserting something that is false.

2) Show me the scene where Ridley kills her parents and compare it to other M. So far you've only asserted it, not proven it.

And onto your other points.

This doesn't explain why she's scarred upon the fifth encounter rather than one through five.

Show me where she crumbles in front of Ridley in the other games. And just in case it needs to be said, I mean emotionally.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    By the by, this argument is hilariously asinine.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

She did have that response the first time (Metroid 1 being her second time). Her first encounter even had the same situation with the suit turning off.

Oh, I did forget to add some points to the list above, addressing Samus' past fear:

- Storytelling wasn't Nintendo's focus at the time, but they've made it obvious now that she has been afraid previously.
    - Despite that fear, it was greatly dampened in Metroid 1 because she knew she was going to fight Ridley. She took the fight to him.
    - She hesitated and let him escape in Prime. Again she knew she was going to fight him and took the battle to him.
    - She let her fear get the better of her in Super Metroid, when Ridley ambushed her and stole the hatchling. This is analogous to Other M's Ridley scene.
    - Again she knew she was going to fight Ridley in Super, and took the fight to him.

This is one of those times that she was caught off guard, as in the past. Off guard Samus = trauma, ready Samus = win. It's been repeated throughout the games over and over.

I don't get how knowing you're going to fight something would make it any easier if you were suffering from PTSD or some sort of emotionally trauma. Send a vietnam vet into a war movie and he's still going to flip, even if he knows he's going to go watch it. Hell, he isn't even in Combat at that point.

Metroid other M is the first time that we conclusively see crippling fear. All the other times you're assuming - if you're going to assert that's the emotion that she's feeling, show the scene and explain what it is in her body language that suggests crippling fear that is the equivalent of Other M rather than intimidation or shock.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Wow, man. You're just making shit up now. At best, you could say that since it's now how Nintendo says they imagined it all along, that we are supposed to interpret that scene as such (which is still so much bullshit). There is seriously nothing to indicate that she did (or did not!) exhibit any emotion in that scene.

The bad guy got away with the macguffin. That is seriously the most you can draw from that 16 bit scene.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A duck! wrote: »

I'd say that's fairly subjective.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Can I lime this harder?

Guys... it's a retcon. It happens. Take a deep breath.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'd say that's fairly subjective.

We can put it to a vote.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it's pretty asinine. I already had this typed up but I'll spoil it. Conversation's done.
    And "chill out, this isn't a college debate class" is another way of saying "woah dude, I'm totally wrong, don't take this so seriously and prove me wrong!"
    No, I really, honestly and truly was joking. I'm sorry you took it so seriously.
    1) show me that she doesn't kill him in the previous games. Every source out there shows Ridley dying. Every game out there shows Ridley dying. That's why they need to clone him. Show me evidence instead of asserting something that is false.

...Wait, you think every Ridley has been a clone?
    Ridley, after sustaining severe injury, was wounded beyond fighting capability. However, a scan in the Space Station Orpheon, in the later Metroid Prime game, indicates that he had in fact survived the attack.

In Prime he merely fell, no death was confirmed.

In Super he was actually killed.

I have no idea what Prime 3 was about, it almost felt like a second Ridley showed up out of nowhere. Either way, it's obvious that he was still alive when Super rolled around.
    2) Show me the scene where Ridley kills her parents and compare it to other M. So far you've only asserted it, not proven it.

This is after eating her mother:
    458pxsamusridley.png

During her later first serious encounter with Ridley, he taunts her about how her parents "nourished his body."
    This doesn't explain why she's scarred upon the fifth encounter rather than one through five.
    I covered this above.
    Show me where she crumbles in front of Ridley in the other games.
    Once in the manga and once in Super Metroid when he escapes with the hatchling.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seems like, as with almost the entirety with the problems with other M's story it would have all been a great story if it were set as a Samus Begins origin story fist mission type dealio, which would have fleshed out the character and humanised the badass Samus of the later games. But instead it's set after those games and retcons the badass samus in a way that makes no sense.

The storyline seems fine, it's just where it's placed that's the problem.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, I really, honestly and truly was joking. I'm sorry you took it so seriously.

...Wait, you think every Ridley has been a clone?
    Ridley, after sustaining severe injury, was wounded beyond fighting capability. However, a scan in the Space Station Orpheon, in the later Metroid Prime game, indicates that he had in fact survived the attack.

In Prime he merely fell, no death was confirmed.

In Super he was actually killed.

I have no idea what Prime 3 was about, it almost felt like a second Ridley showed up out of nowhere. Either way, it's obvious that he was still alive when Super rolled around.

This is after eating her mother (flashback in Other M):
    458pxsamusridley.png

During her later first serious encounter with Ridley, he taunts her about how her parents "nourished his body."
    I covered this above.
    Show me where she crumbles in front of Ridley in the other games.
    Once in the manga and once in Super Metroid when he escapes with the hatchling.

I see a whole bunch of assertions and a single panel from a comic book whose only noticeable similarity is that it has 1. ridley and 2. samus as a child.

I don't see any evidence. I just see blah blah blah, assumption, assertion.

Here's Ridley's wiki.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Ridley

Dies in Metroid.
    Dies in Super Metroid
    Survives in Prime to become Omega Ridley in 3.
    Dies in Prime 3

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Can I lime this harder?

Guys... it's a retcon. It happens. Take a deep breath.

Except some of us are trying to argue that it isn't a retcon, which I find insulting to my intelligence and reality.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Seems like, as with almost the entirety with the problems with other M's story it would have all been a great story if it were set as a Samus Begins origin story fist mission type dealio, which would have fleshed out the character and humanised the badass Samus of the later games. But instead it's set after those games and retcons the badass samus in a way that makes no sense.

The storyline seems fine, it's just where it's placed that's the problem.

I could agree with this.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sorry dude, it has to end sometime, and I'm ending it. Being a stand-up guy you understand this isn't a concession, but it's just not going to be resolved. Agree to disagree.

UncleSporky on