Options

Dwarf Fortress: Is that a legendary sock?

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what a coincidence, I dream of Minecraft's simple UI and mild learning curve being applied to Dwarf Fortress!

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft are both fun but for different reasons. To try to make one into the other would ruin both.

</philosophical>

hailthefish on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    So is there a decent way to improve the military dwarve's stats? I've had them training (mininum of 2 dwarves) every other month for a few years now and I'm not really seeing any change in their stats. I've tried assigning weapons, letting them choose their own, grouping them by weapon type, and setting the most skilled dwarfs as captains, but nothing seems to make a difference. The only elite dwarf I got ranked up wrestling a Titan who then ripped both his arms and legs off.

tell me you have a dwarf, alive in a bed some where, with no arms and legs.

tell me this
    Sadly he somehow didn't survive the wounds. I will do my best to turn my fortress into a recreation of Freaks for you though.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft are both fun but for different reasons. To try to make one into the other would ruin both.

</philosophical>

I've never played it, but just from what I've read it sounds like it would be hella fun to play Minecraft as if it were DF, with each player assigned a role.

"You are Astot Kibdistokir. You like Ham, wood, and cows for their haunting moos. Now go build a furnace or go crazy and murder people if you can't."

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

</philosophical>

I've never played it, but just from what I've read it sounds like it would be hella fun to play Minecraft as if it were DF, with each player assigned a role.

"You are Astot Kibdistokir. You like Ham, wood, and cows for their haunting moos. Now go build a furnace or go crazy and murder people if you can't."
    And wouldn't you like to finally see a 3D render of the forgotten beast ruining your fort, a massive 6 eyed badger with skin made of vomit, beware his noxious bite?

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    26 immigrants and butt-tons of work to get done, shame my manager is attending a lovely party

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

</philosophical>

And wouldn't you like to finally see a 3D render of the forgotten beast ruining your fort, a massive 6 eyed badger with skin made of vomit, beware his noxious bite?

In box form, hells yeah!

Jintor on
  • Options
    MonarchMonarch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [QUOTE=Monarch;16610400[/QUOTE]
    Journal of Smithy, from the frozen tundra fortress of Gravelfence!

1st of Granite
    WHY ARE WE HERE!!!!! WHY?

As far as I can see...tundra. White and grey desolation. I think I heard wolves on the way here! Armok kill them. I hate wolves.

We've found a nice niche for ourselves. The temporary stockpiles are set and hauling has begun. Happy and Grumpy have started smashing their way into the side of this frozen wasteland. Thankfully Dopey is in charge and has already started defensive measures. He has smoothed all the edges of this valley so we'll see any oppertunists coming. The entryway is a winding puzzle...this will get annoying if anyone sends me for lumber. But I plan on bunking up next to Armok's warming blood, far from this freezing surface.

20th of Granite
    Food stocks have started to dwindle and the miners are finding nothing but aquifers when they poke down to find stone. We have nothing but this sandy loam to work with. Have you ever made a cabinet out of sand? Ya, it doesn't work. We have fully moved inside into the would be trade depot and trading good storage area. The horse is starting to delicious....

1st of Slate
    Oh! Migrants have arrived! Surely the extra hands will help. Hrm....they didn't bring a single animal other than a kitten. At least we have something to worship now.

Thank kitten that our expedition leader, Dopey, has thought of a brilliant plan! Sneezy went surface side and found where a frozen lake is. Surely if it is frozen here, it is frozen all the way down. Grumpy and Happy were ordered to mine west and then south to the lake..and then down. Frozen lake digging is hard, as stairways dissapear sometimes. The ice cannot hold the weight. But alas we have found slate! Silver! Marble! Gold! All things dwarves need! But yet, still no water. I do not hear any neighing...what happened to Thunder?

10th of Slate
    Grumpy was on a mission to find water. He continued down, I only thought we'd find the blood of the god. But as always, I am wrong. I'm a smith, what do I know of underground pools? Alas water has been found. Now we need to determine if it is worth drinking. Surely there are fish?

Plans for a cistern and a pump have been written up, as well as for a well way above the cistern. A fishing deck is to be cratered out in hope of some delicious salt turtles! At least we have water and a desalinisation plan if need be.[/QUOTE]

Journal update of Smithy, from the frozen tundra fortress of Gravelfence!

1st of Obsidian
    It's been some time, and there have been some close calls. Like I was saying when I left off, we found water in an underground cavern. No fish. But it is worth drinking....when the beer is gone. Barely. Tastes of fish, but there are no fish. I did see a cave crocodile though...wonder how big of a hook that would take. hrm..

5th of Obisidian
    The well is finished and just in time. THE BEER IS GONE! No beer, no wine, no rum. All gone. Good thing I hide a case under my anvil. Seeing that on paper, that is NOT a good idea...gonna go move the booze for fear of crushing.

8th of Obsidian
    Traders have arrived! Good! I took a peak at the new stockpile that is near the site for the trade depot, that is a LOT of mugs. Who in their right mind will buy all those? Oh...dwarven traders? Nevermind. Looks like we had enough to buy some wine! Some seeds and some extra food. Sadly no exquisite bars of rare metal. But on the upside we have our charcoal fueled smelting in action. We have iron, and pig iron. Slowly refining it all to get ready for an all-nighter of steel production. Think I'll make myself a steel hat as a fortress thank you to myself.

15th of Obisidian
    I woke up this morning and there is a cabinet in my room. Hands hurt, bloody. Crap, NOT AGAIN! It's made of what looks like a few bars of pig iron and...oh man...Thunder's bones! That horse we ate! Just eating it haunted me, now it's immortalized. What have I done????? But it is a darn fine piece of work. "The Saviour of Sieges" is chiseled into the top. ok?

20th of Obisidian
    Migrants, crap. I told them we should have put doors up that can be locked! But oh no...we need traps! Not doors! They just kept coming. Pretty much doubled our current population, and they all expect to get fed. Jokes on them, WE were barely getting fed. Some doof had the small farm working on those delectible mushrooms and the bigger farms on wheat and pig tails. idiot.

2nd of Marble
    Winter has come and things are settling down. One of the migrants is a smithy that has been an endless barrage of questions. I don't mind talking shop, but good grief. I heard he went outside for a walk and happened across one of those tundra wolves. It chased him around for a while before the military could be set in motion. Guess we have something else to put in our stomachs now.

20th of Marble
    The year is wrapping up, and I'm told that the miners have hit magma, finally. They can't get to digging out a smithy area just yet, but soon. I tire of having my equipment setup in what is swifty becoming the barracks.

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

My computer use and advice blog:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Oklahoma-City-Computers-Examiner~topic715649-Computer-Use-and-Assistance
    View and comment please! Thanks!
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Victory!

I trapped the little goblin bastards in my flood chamber and then thought 'fuck it, I can take them'. So I stationed my single squad of hammerdwarves outside, unsealed it and obliterated them without taking a scratch. It's amazing the difference 3 steel breastplates makes. And now I have bituminous coal and all three ores for iron I can start smelting steel and have full steel outfits for everyone.

With my refuse pile now inside there was nobody outside either so I didn't suffer any casualties (the same cannot be said for the Elf liaison).

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    Victory!

I trapped the little goblin bastards in my flood chamber and then thought 'fuck it, I can take them'. So I stationed my single squad of hammerdwarves outside, unsealed it and obliterated them without taking a scratch. It's amazing the difference 3 steel breastplates makes. And now I have bituminous coal and all three ores for iron I can start smelting steel and have full steel outfits for everyone.

With my refuse pile now inside there was nobody outside either so I didn't suffer any casualties (the same cannot be said for the Elf liaison).

Good work Rami! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you sent some gobo's flying through the air!

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Oklahoma-City-Computers-Examiner~topic715649-Computer-Use-and-Assistance
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So I'm posting this in both threads, because it deserves to be posted:

There is a program that converts Dwarf Fortress maps to Minecraft maps.
    BF%20Preview.png

4c59b.png

flarechannel1.png

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Holy fucking shit.

Holy fucking shit.

Yes, this was my approximate reaction.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    VerdianVerdian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is amazing. I just wish I could play Minecraft (no internet at home).

I never use traps when playing DF, because traps are for cowards and kobolds. As such, my military is very important. And my fortresses don't last long. In the two-ish years I have been playing DF, I have never even attempted to build a trap. Am I alone in this thinking?

Also, do you still have to make sure your ten dwarf squad only has 9 people set to train each month, or else they will not eat or drink? I've been doing this out of habit, but it would be nice if I didn't need to.

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They'll probably eat and drink when they're starving and dehydrated, but probably won't be happy about it.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Apparently they will not eat or drink. The rations they carry are to reduce their time spent walking around to retrieve food or alcohol, they don't actually drink or eat while on the job.

I believe the recommended setup is 3 dwarf squads with it set to minimum 2, so they rotate every month. Even with this I still get some in the military enraged at working long shifts.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rami is correct.

10 dwarf squad, set it to 5 or 6 for training min. And if you have less than 10, reduce the number needed for training. Your dwarves will still train and be happier. And not die of starvation/dehydration.

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Well my squad are all hammerlords now, having defeated 3 goblin ambushes (at the same time) of 6 goblins each with just the 3 of them.

Bowmen are still a problem, I drown them in the water trap. Although my guys were still missing leg armour and gauntlets when they got shot last so maybe they can handle them as well now.

I'm having drainage problems with my water trap. Such as..my entrance hallway is flooded and can't drain because the chambers beneath are 7/7 as well. It's pretty much a lock in right now.

I have a cunning plan though. I'm going to dig up/down stairs beneath the drain chamber about 100 more z levels until I reach magma, then it can drain into that. Foolproof!

The goblins also killed the elvish merchants and so now my dwarves are stealing/claiming everything they brought with them.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    man, migrants really arrive quickly in the new DF. got 5 new guys just as summer hit, haven't even had time to move stockpiles inside yet because the fort is still being mined out.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hit a cavern about 10 levels down. I'm just going to drain it into there instead. I also set up a grate system to prevent the corpses (and items) from being washed away, allowing me to loot them after the water is gone.

The human caravan just arrived, but there are still some goblins outside (since the entrance is still submerged) so I guess there's another wagon load of free goods waiting for me.

edit: Jackpot! Caged tame bears were among the elvish wagon haul.

Is this a bug? Now I've breached a cavern underground trees/mushrooms are now starting to grow anywhere underground, including the layers of my fort that are only a couple of levels below the surface.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is this a bug? Now I've breached a cavern underground trees/mushrooms are now starting to grow anywhere underground, including the layers of my fort that are only a couple of levels below the surface.

Nope - the spores from the underground spread to other subterranean areas. if you're REALLY lucky, you'll get cave spiders setting up shop in your fort, but you might have to have a passage at the ground level of the cavern.

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And if I'm really unlucky I'll get giant cave spiders setting up in my fort D:

I don't really need silk except for strange moods anyway, I'm already sitting on mounds of pig tail cloth I have nothing to do with (except make bags to store my 700 seeds in).

When I was mining down I actually came out at the edge of a wall that's two levels above the cavern ground level, unless there are flying nasties down there I don't actually need to block the passage up.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DocHoodiaDocHoodia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    man, migrants really arrive quickly in the new DF. got 5 new guys just as summer hit, haven't even had time to move stockpiles inside yet because the fort is still being mined out.

They heard about the underground river of bacon gravy.

DocHoodia on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has he overcome the horrible bugs that plagued the last few variants yet?

i've been holding off on playing because of them

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DocHoodia wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »

They heard about the underground river of bacon gravy.

oh

that

it will go well with my mountain of rock salt

i literally live on a pile of salt

i live on the condiment continent, don't i

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I tried out the new version lately and its interesting to say the least. Seems to take a little longer to save my game in general but ah well.

So far I just had an early couple of migrants which I quite like. They were all completely useless except for one gem who was a legendary Axedwarf. Militia commander found!

I saved right and stopped just as I was going to set up the military. It looks complicated and bugged? Hmm gonna have to hit up the wiki I suppose.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's complicated but not really bugged. Just complicated.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    gonna try and run this on a tablet

gonna do it

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Another goblin attack thwarted and another 1000 items to haul from the deceased human caravan.

I don't have anywhere to put this shit.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well that's all of them. The latest Dwarven, Elven and Human caravans have all been killed by goblins and pillaged by me. I hope this doesn't affect relations.

So all the stuff i've liberated has boosted my wealth so much I just got offered the barony.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Think Im going to build a "human" settlement next fortress. Where all the buildings are outside except for a mining operation and the basements of some of the bigger buildings.

I guess I should start in a jungle or something so I have alot of wood?

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not really an issue to dig a tunnel straight down a couple of Z axis to get stone so I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. You'll only need 1 miner of course, and probably at least two masons. The first thing you should probably do is construct a wall around a large square that will be your fortress, because you are going to be a sitting duck for attacks for a long time. You might even be able to designate the area inside the wall as internal by setting various doors as internal.

Other plant life will be important since I'm assuming you will forgo having underground farm crops as that isn't very human. fishing too.

It certainly sounds interesting and it's something I will try myself one day.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not really an issue to dig a tunnel straight down a couple of Z axis to get stone so I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. You'll only need 1 miner of course, and probably at least two masons. The first thing you should probably do is construct a wall around a large square that will be your fortress, because you are going to be a sitting duck for attacks for a long time. You might even be able to designate the area inside the wall as internal by setting various doors as internal.

Other plant life will be important since I'm assuming you will forgo having underground farm crops as that isn't very human. fishing too.

It certainly sounds interesting and it's something I will try myself one day.

I just went play now and was pretty happy with what i got. I dont have much experience with fishing so im not sure whether my fisherman is doing anything yet or just sitting on his ass by the carp infested rivers.

So far I a ramshackle wooden storehouse with a sandy basement, a single sleeping house (these houses dont have roofs yet...), a mine and a few shops going up. So far I havent run into any trouble from the wildlife other than some thieving raccoons (the reason for the storehouse).

I think itll be fun. Itll start out as a really rough settlement then if I survive the heat, wildlife and eventual goblin (and probably elven) invaders itll become a thriving city with a great fortress at its heart.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You'll need a fishery and fish cleaning/dissection to process the raw fish into foods.

If I were you I'd aim to have everything walled off by autumn of the second year, that's about the earliest where I start getting goblin ambushes in a calm environment.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Now when I build, is it masons that do the work, even if im building with wood? Checkin the wiki.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    carpenters make wood walls.

If you are doing a human settlement you should enable the carpentry task for all your dwarfs to expedite the outer wall construction.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can't figure out how you train animals. I have plenty of tame dogs that are not anyone's pet. Some roam free others are caged, but the kennels always says there are no tame animals available.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah the carpenter is pretty quick with the walls without help. My fisherman almost lost his life to some angry carp.

The one thing that sucks is you cAn't engrave constructed walls. I suppose I'll have to build a tomb to inscribe our history into.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Yeah the carpenter is pretty quick with the walls without help. My fisherman almost lost his life to some angry carp.

The one thing that sucks is you cAn't engrave constructed walls. I suppose I'll have to build a tomb to inscribe our history into.

Engravings.jpg

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »

you could always find lava and cast obsidian walls.

Buttcleft on