Options

Dwarf Fortress: Is that a legendary sock?

• Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    MonarchMonarch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Glorious! I love that archer in the middle, everything he tags once or twice dies. And those are fully armed/armored golbins! He must have had one crazy squad that had been fighting from the beginning decked out in * steel armor or adamantine. Super big achievement for any fortress to have that kind of kill squad.

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

My computer use and advice blog:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Oklahoma-City-Computers-Examiner~topic715649-Computer-Use-and-Assistance
    View and comment please! Thanks!
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sigh. I just don't understand military shit at all. Why are two goblins just murdering my entire fortress? This pretty much happens in the second/third year of every game. I always play in calm settings but still get massacred by even the most feeble of opponents.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MonarchMonarch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    Sigh. I just don't understand military shit at all. Why are two goblins just murdering my entire fortress? This pretty much happens in the second/third year of every game. I always play in calm settings but still get massacred by even the most feeble of opponents.

Did you have any military training?

To setup a military:

Assign a manager, give them an office. (Assign a chair to that dwarf)
    Press (m)ilitary
    (c)reate a squad
    Assign the squad leader by putting the desired dwarfs name at the top in the middle row. Fill out dwarves to fill the squad as needed.

Create a weapons rack or armor stand and put it in a large-ish room. Press q and highlight the armor stand/weapons rack and create a barracks. On the Squad name on the menu on the right, set it to train.

Go back to the (m)ilitary screen. Find the scheduling and alternate nothing and training (set the minimum dwarves to train to 2 or 3) every other month. In the off months, dwarves with high willpower will continue to train themselves.

They will train with any armor that is available of the type of squad you made (leather/metal/archer) and thier personal preference of weapon. (If that a weapon of that type is available.)

When you get attacked:

Press (s)quad and then (k)ill and highlight the creature you want the squad to kill. There are options to highlight multiple creatures using shift. I normally have a choke point that I (m)ove my army to. They will defend that spot and attack anything that approaches.

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

My computer use and advice blog:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Oklahoma-City-Computers-Examiner~topic715649-Computer-Use-and-Assistance
    View and comment please! Thanks!
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My military dwarves always get massacred, so I've stopped having a military.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I had 3 axedwarves who had been in training for about 3 seasons. One of the problems is switching from training weapons to real weapons quickly in a time of crisis.

I've about mastered the non-active schedule (ie; train train train) but the alerts systems and active stuff still seems ridiculously complex and unintuitive.

I'm going to try to set up two squads earlier, rotating on/off duty so there's always one squad patrolling the entrance while the others are training. But I don't think it's possible to command them to switch weapons when going on duty and then back to training weapons when they're off. I dare not risk sparring with real weapons.

Mainly I'm going to concentrate on traps, an area I haven't really looked at much before. I also have a better entrance this time around, it's a drawbridge over a chasm and the only way inside. Problem is ambushes show up right at your door.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Traps are really awesome, but they work best if you plan well in advance. In one of my fortresses, too many of my floors are connected by the same main staircase, so I'd need to trap all of them to stay safe. In another one, I have one staircase in, and after that there are a lot of halls to navigate before you get to bedrooms and food storage, etc.

But yeah, I love traps. Make a ton of mechanisms and just cover all the halls with stone fall traps, and most goblins will be in poor shape (or dead) before they even get to your main fortress.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just beat a FB woooo. My one hammerdwarf, who had been elected mayor, stepped up and smashed the hell out of a flying dinosaur FB. Lost 3 pet dogs and my manager though. Strangely, the manager I think wasn't a casualty of the FB but had somehow drowned himself in a murky pool on the surface. His original job had been 'drunk' so that might explain it.

EDIT
    @Rami: You don't need wooden training weapons if your dwarfs are armored at all. They execute a 'light tap' with the weapon instead of a full-on blow.

EDIT EDIT:
    There's some promising progress in the Dwarf Therapist thread on the bay12 forums. I'll be glad to have it working for 31.13, that's for sure.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Even with just leather armour? In that case it could be a lot more useful. I'm also going to try and build an enclosure outside, for tree cutting and outdoor farming with no risk of wildlife or attack. I can have a gate/drawbridge on a level for letting wagons in and out.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If you want to get fancy with outdoor farming, know that any tile that has been exposed to the sun is 'above ground' regardless of its outside/inside status. You can sink a x-by-y hole in the ground for as deep as you like, cover it up with floors at the top level and farm outside plants inside.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Getting back into Dwarf Fortress again, with a new and very lovely version of Stonesense.

It's fun, as always, but Jesus Christ I wish Toady would stop adding new shit for a while and make the interface better, or at least consistent.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ahh new migrants to be drafted into the mason profession. Unrelated to previous two masons simultaneous death whilst constructing walls across an open chasm. I have a good feeling about this.

Is it possible to create a bone/shell stockpile inside for my bone crafter? Being labeled as refuse seems to make this tricky, I can't find the right choice on the custom stockpile settings. Same for un-tanned hides at the tanners, it's annoying having them trek outside to the refuse pile all the time.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The battle system is random as hell. Decent armor can make a big difference but in the end all it takes is one luck hit that lops off an arm or a leg or something vital and your dwarf is done for.

The safest way is to use a bunch of traps to soften up attackers and then face them in a narrow corridor.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    DocHoodiaDocHoodia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    It's fun, as always, but Jesus Christ I wish Toady would stop adding new shit for a while and make the interface better, or at least consistent.

Hear hear. Mouse support would rock my socks.

DocHoodia on
  • Options
    Work SafeWork Safe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DocHoodia wrote: »
    There...there is mouse support?
    instead of using up down left right, you can click to create a box to, say, channel out an area, gather plants, etc
    what level of mouse support are you referring to?

Work Safe on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Getting back into Dwarf Fortress again, with a new and very lovely version of Stonesense.

Consistent would be wonderful, although given that most people seem to insist on using clumsy tilesets and what have you, the ideal situation would be if he make the interface entirely replaceable. That way, he can leave things the way they are as interface is obviously something which doesn't interest him, and let the community put things together that work more neatly than the few odds and ends people have hacked together to run on top.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think I'm about done with Dwarf Fortress, I just abandoned a fort that was basically invinsible. I was wiping out goblins and deep monsters regularly, it was getting to the point I was just annoyed they were interrupting fisherdwarfs and spider silk collectors.

Any ideas for how to to make things more interesting? Maybe editing the files so all my dwarfs are cripplingly insane might be fun for a week or so.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Work Safe wrote: »
    There...there is mouse support?
    instead of using up down left right, you can click to create a box to, say, channel out an area, gather plants, etc
    what level of mouse support are you referring to?

Click on the action you want to perform (designations, piles, etc.). Click on the thing you want to inspect or build. Drag the outline of a workshop across the ground and drop it where you want it. Drag squares for designating, rather than just "painting" individual tiles with the mouse. Drag the screen around to move your view.

Not all necessary additions, but most would be really helpful, in particular clicking where you want a workshop.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DocHoodiaDocHoodia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Probably take a breather for a while and wait for future versions to add more features/complexity.

Yup that's what I'm talking about. The ability to click menu buttons would be awesome, too. Anything to increase the accessibility of this game would be a godsend for its popularity. As it is, I love DF, but it was hard even for me to get into originally, until you figure out all the keyboard shortcuts.

DocHoodia on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The problem with the keyboard shortcuts is that they're not shortcuts, they're all you have!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Probably take a breather for a while and wait for future versions to add more features/complexity.
    Yup that's what I'm talking about. The ability to click menu buttons would be awesome, too. Anything to increase the accessibility of this game would be a godsend for its popularity. As it is, I love DF, but it was hard even for me to get into originally, until you figure out all the keyboard shortcuts.

I am saying that you can do that, right now
    If I was home, I could go into dwarf fortress, continue my game, press dh, leftclick twice, and they will channel that area

What I found amazing was that I accidentally resized the map and it actually resized it to fit that resolution. I was like :O

Work Safe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think I'm about done with Dwarf Fortress, I just abandoned a fort that was basically invinsible. I was wiping out goblins and deep monsters regularly, it was getting to the point I was just annoyed they were interrupting fisherdwarfs and spider silk collectors.
    Any ideas for how to to make things more interesting? Maybe editing the files so all my dwarfs are cripplingly insane might be fun for a week or so.
    Were you in a very evil area?
    Just go into a very evil area where you fight demons and such

Work Safe on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I was haunted. Are the other evil areas much worse? I'll be honest, I don't know the different types, there is like sinister and some others.

I will say I had a lot of fun with this fort, I might just need a cool off, maybe come back in two more versions time.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i downloaded the new version of dwarf fortress, and it crashed while generating a world

is there a more stable older version or something

also what does SDL stand for on the download page for the new DF

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    successfully generated one, woo

erkar, The Infinite Dimensions

this is promising

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    is 4x4 a good height and width for a fort? i thought in previous versions it was always 6x6

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You mean the size of your embark? 4x4 works fine but depending on how many z-levels you have between the surface and the first cavern there might a shortage of minerals/mineable space.

I usually use 5x5.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    is 4x4 a good height and width for a fort? i thought in previous versions it was always 6x6

If you downloaded the latest version you should remove it and get the next newest one. The current Build is bugged to hell. You want 31.12, NOT 31.13.

Your embark site really depends on how good a CPU you have, 6x6 or bigger is likely to bring the slowdown a lot sooner. 4x4 is still plenty big enough considering there are over 100 Z-levels.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I was haunted. Are the other evil areas much worse? I'll be honest, I don't know the different types, there is like sinister and some others.

I will say I had a lot of fun with this fort, I might just need a cool off, maybe come back in two more versions time.

Start in an area with no trees or vegetation. And an Aquifier. Build a surface only fortress, all above ground constructions with only mining allowed for stone collecting. Do a 7 dwarf challenge, dig down at the start then seal the entrance/exit to the surface forever.

..play adventure mode.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZypherIMZypherIM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Your options for a bigger challenge, assuming you've done things with different types of embarks, is to either manually add (or find) new/tweaked enemies to throw in, or to impose restrictions to yourself. Doing a no-metal no-trap fortress could be a good challenge to you! Or perhaps no farming, etc etc.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do a 0.31.01 run! :P

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    jothki wrote: »

please explain

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My current fortress is kind of fucked. The only metal I have is iron and some few precious units of coke. Oh, and some zinc ore. I'd like to colonize the caverns but there are firebreathing FBs in there and I'm unsure how to tackle those.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    My current fortress is kind of fucked. The only metal I have is iron and some few precious units of coke. Oh, and some zinc ore. I'd like to colonize the caverns but there are firebreathing FBs in there and I'm unsure how to tackle those.

box them in and pour magma on them

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i tried to copy my world (which hasn't been embarked in yet, but i just mean the actual world) into 33.12 from generating it in 33.13

will this work?

i feel so good about the name The Infinite Dimensions, i want to build in there so bad

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just don't use 33.13, folks. It has multiple, game-breaking bugs. Stick with 33.12 or wait for 33.14.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    but i generated The Infinite Dimensions in 33.13!

I CANNOT LOSE THIS WORLD

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I doubt you can do it -- 33.13 specifically changed the world generation process to accommodate a bunch of new shit...

gilrain on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jothki wrote: »

please explain

That was the first of the latest versions, after Toady added all the new stuff but hadn't yet mostly fixed it.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i don't want to lose The Infinite Dimensions

oh well

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png