Options

Costume quest- Get your costume on again with DLC planned for December!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After you take Travis down, one of his cronies tells you that, since he has been struck down, he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

:^:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not some shitty Dreamworks film, if that's what you're implying

There's some vocabulary used that younger children might not understand, sure

But make no mistake, this game is absolutely geared toward the young'uns. God forbid I ever breed, I'm totally having my kid play this game as a "My First RPG" kind of deal.

I'm 27 years old and I still prefer to put on cartoons over anything else. My TV is tuned to Teletoon ALL the time. I still love kids stuff. I'm generally entertained by these sorts of things. I'm not worried about the story/dialogue whatsoever.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not some shitty Dreamworks film, if that's what you're implying

There's some vocabulary used that younger children might not understand, sure

But make no mistake, this game is absolutely geared toward the young'uns. God forbid I ever breed, I'm totally having my kid play this game as a "My First RPG" kind of deal.

This. Tasha is ex-Pixar, and was shooting for the Pixar quality. She was adamant about that. And we all know the difference here. She uses the term "children and adults" all the time, as opposed to "casual vs hardcore."

I wish more parents utilized XBLA, PSN and WiiWare/VC for their gaming needs. Cheaper, simpler, and easier. I met one mom at work who downloaded every Mario game onto VC for her kids. I wanted to hi-5 her right there in the middle of the store.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Only review I managed to find on gamerankings was from Game Informer. They hated it - 6/10.
    Costume Quest would have made a fantastic cartoon; I enjoyed the cute dialogue, charming art style, and quirky cast in the Halloween-themed adventure. Unfortunately, everything in the package that qualifies Costume Quest as a game falls short.
    Once I got a taste of the tedious combat, I had to question that assumption. The turn-based battles are far too simple for their own good; you just hit attack, and then follow a brief button prompt to maximize damage (or wait to defend). You won’t find any magic, healing items, or anything else that could add entertainment. The animations for the attacks can be funny at first, but you’ll get sick of them in no time.
    It’s too bad that combat is such a prevalent part of Costume Quest, because the time you spend just exploring and talking to fellow trick-or-treaters can be hilarious. The world is brought to life with a colorful art style that reminds me of a less deranged Tim Burton movie, and the dialogue has plenty of comedic gems.
    Other annoyances make it hard to fully enjoy Costume Quest’s bizarre world. Without objective markers or a minimap, finding your next goal is an occasional problem, but the save system is an even bigger concern. Lacking any manual options, you need to rely on the autosave to retain your progress, but it only kicks in under certain conditions that are difficult to force. You can’t just decide you’re done and quit playing; you need to complete a quest, pick up a new quest, or change areas. In one case, I lost about 45 minutes of progress because I quit after fighting a bunch of battles that didn’t trigger a save event (and I even leveled up during that time!).
    Costume Quest is cute and funny, so it may look like a good game for kids. Let me assure you: After completing the adventure (which took me about five hours), I can’t recommend Costume Quest to gamers of any age.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They must really hate Precipice of Darkness.

He's also downplaying the exploration, upgrade hunting and sidequests that happen between fights.

And as for the combat, if you mess up one defensive button press out of laziness, you'll get hit hard. I almost died a couple of times already. I just got through the first boss.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow,

That review is discouraging. Last time I bought a game with a poor save system (de Blob), I hated the game and myself. I have a life and a wife and kid, I need to be able to put a game down whenever.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    Wow,

That review is discouraging. Last time I bought a game with a poor save system (de Blob), I hated the game and myself. I have a life and a wife and kid, I need to be able to put a game down whenever.

Yes, the thing is so simplified, it uses a checkpoint system between quests, so you need to know when to put it down.

Cantido on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my god, wtf were the makers of de Blob thinking? Me and my fiance loved the game, but when the levels get on to 45 minutes without the ability to save, it just becomes unplayable.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love this game but the lack of an easily-determinable autosave disappoints me.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only bit that perturbs me is the framerate. It doesn't look like there's a lot going on here, but the game really chugs at time, and I'll be damned if I can figure out why.

Was just coming to say the same thing. Doesn't really distract from the charming experience but considering how it is hardly a graphical powerhouse I was afraid something was up with my console.

I have to say though, this + Super Meat Boy is a wonderful combination. I got mad at a level in SMB and started this up for the first time. Did a few quests and felt really good afterwards.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Playing the demo, getting hit more than a few times because I can't differentiate between Circle and Square at a glance. Maybe it's cause I have it hooked up to the old CRT but still. This wouldn't be the first game that I've had this problem with.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Playing the demo, getting hit more than a few times because I can't differentiate between Circle and Square at a glance. Maybe it's cause I have it hooked up to the old CRT but still. This wouldn't be the first game that I've had this problem with.

The game is not hard, but oh how it will punish you if you fail a defensive button push. You will get hit very hard. The evade sticker saved me by the skin of my teeth for more than a few battles. If I lose, it just places me right in front of the monster all over again to try again. That beats a Game Over screen in my book.

It reminds me of Shadow Hearts 3. Tim Schafer should write the dialog for SH4. <3<3<3

Cantido on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Only review I managed to find on gamerankings was from Game Informer. They hated it - 6/10.

GameInformer, where gamers go to be misinformed.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

GameInformer, where gamers go to be misinformed.

The Internet, where when you disagree with an opinion, you make fun of them.

A few more reviews have come out since then which have been more positive. The general consensus seems to be that the game is easy and combat is even more simplistic than it was in PAA 1&2, but otherwise it's a fun game with great dialogue.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe it's cause they gave it to the same reviewer, but Giant Bomb seems really keen on games that are more cute than hard.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just lost three hours to this game, Holy crap!

Totally love it, charmed by every aspect of it so far, such a great little game!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I just found the first warp back to the first area. You can save whenever you want just by warping to a location.

Also, although the game is easy, you cannot fuck around with these battles.

I never go trick or treating! And now I want to! :( . I'd be Eddie Riggs. I have the pin-buttons and the shirt, I just need the leather jacket and a spikey Three Inches of Blood brace on my arm.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe it's cause they gave it to the same reviewer, but Giant Bomb seems really keen on games that are more cute than hard.

http://www.giantbomb.com/super-meat-boy/61-25114/reviews/

Errrr.

ok.

Anyway, giantbomb gave Costume quest a 4/5.

http://www.giantbomb.com/costume-quest/61-32304/reviews/

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

http://www.giantbomb.com/super-meat-boy/61-25114/reviews/

Errrr.

ok.

Anyway, giantbomb gave Costume quest a 4/5.

http://www.giantbomb.com/costume-quest/61-32304/reviews/

He was referring to Kirby. Same dude who reviewed Costume Quest.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought he was doing it at first, but then he referred to giantbomb as a whole, then I was like "Wut."

Still though, from what I've read of the reviews costume quest is exactly what I wanted.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I need to stop. I'm burning through this game.

Cantido on
  • Options
    PalomPalom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really hate the battle system. It killed the rest of the game to me. I'm on the second floor of the mall and can't win any normal battles anymore. I don't know if I missed getting a third character or what, but this shit's ridiculous when mobs kill me in 3-4 hits, even with successful blocking.

Palom on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Palom wrote: »
    I really hate the battle system. It killed the rest of the game to me. I'm on the second floor of the mall and can't win any normal battles anymore. I don't know if I missed getting a third character or what, but this shit's ridiculous when mobs kill me in 3-4 hits, even with successful blocking.

Not so easy huh? Actually, you missed a third character.
    Bottom Floor, all the way to the right. In the arcade. A hole will open up to the broken train tracks. Her name is Lucy, and she is exploring the train tracks.

From there, make your third character Liberty, purchase the Counterattack stamp and give it to her, and the difficulty will even out.

That's another thing. New stamps are available in the bottom floor. One store says they have stamps. Advanced versions of your old ones too. And upgraded Evade Stamp, Counterattack, and Upgraded Attack are incredibly useful.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The music in the mall camping + stamp store makes me very happy. Don't click the spoiler if you don't want to ruin it.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only bit that perturbs me is the framerate. It doesn't look like there's a lot going on here, but the game really chugs at time, and I'll be damned if I can figure out why.

Was just coming to say the same thing. Doesn't really distract from the charming experience but considering how it is hardly a graphical powerhouse I was afraid something was up with my console.

I have to say though, this + Super Meat Boy is a wonderful combination. I got mad at a level in SMB and started this up for the first time. Did a few quests and felt really good afterwards.
    This is what I was thinking. I already bought SMB and tomorrow I'm going to pick this up.

I loved the trial. And sure it's not a hard game, but sometimes I don't always want that. I like the characters, the environment, and the music. Sometimes that's enough for me to enjoy a game. Not to mention I love Halloween, so this game is a must buy.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bought it on XBLA when I got home from work

Got to the mall and stopped for the night. What a delightful little game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is fucking awesome.

Question!
    So I'm in the mall and I need help getting the chests that are around the track. Anybody able to give me a clue?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I beat the game and got all the achievements. Not an especially long or difficult game, but it had a ton of personality the whole way through. Some people might complain about the battle system being too simplistic and being boring, but once I got the hang of the timing, I found combat to be speedy and engaging. Of course after a certain point you'll probably find your favorite 3 costume/battle stamp combo and not use anything else...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Question!
    So I'm in the mall and I need help getting the chests that are around the track. Anybody able to give me a clue?

Just walk up to them. The camera will reveal the area accordingly. Each one has enough space to fit you. I don't know about the pumpkin though.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Question!

Just walk up to them. The camera will reveal the area accordingly. Each one has enough space to fit you. I don't know about the pumpkin though.
    You have to wait until you get up to the third floor for the pumpkin one. There's a barrier you can break and then you drop down into the pumpkin. For the two along the train tracks, you need to go through the hole in the wall in the Arcade and walk down the tracks away from where the boss fight was.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bought it and finished in a single sitting. I loved the game, it did feel a bit short, but well worth the 1200 points. The only real problem I had with the game was the shoe skates. They should have just attached that to the right/left bumper and let all the costumes use it. Changing to another costume made the pacing feel strange.

It was also a little disapointing that the costumes only had 1 model for both genders. I know it's a kids game but I doubt that little boys would imagine being lady liberty, or little girls imagine being a male knight. They could have done some funny stuff with lad liberty. Not a big deal, just seemed a little strange to see Lucy turn into a male vampire.

My picks were:
    Robot/Pumpkin (Wren): Wolf Jaw, Ninja (Evrett): Mega barf, Unicorn (Lucy): 2-ply T.P.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Arkyris wrote: »
    It was also a little disapointing that the costumes only had 1 model for both genders. I know it's a kids game but I doubt that little boys would imagine being lady liberty, or little girls imagine being a male knight. They could have done some funny stuff with lad liberty. Not a big deal, just seemed a little strange to see Lucy turn into a male vampire.

My picks were:
    Robot/Pumpkin (Wren): Wolf Jaw, Ninja (Evrett): Mega barf, Unicorn (Lucy): 2-ply T.P.

They're very young identical twins, but the Vampire thing makes sense.

But there can be only one Unicorn.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I can't wait to get the
    pumpkin

costume.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also Eurogamer have reviewed it;
    And like it, 8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-21-costume-quest-review

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is a cute game, I bought it because I love Halloween and I wanted a game to play with my girlfriend.

Two complaints, the save system or lack of one blows and there are some frame rate issues on the PSN version.

I also just got to the mall and I already miss the ambiance of the neighborhood level. Mall's just don't feel very Halloweeny to me.

EDIT: The lack of a map is also annoying.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh yeah, my costume picks:
    Reynold, Ninja/Wolf Jaw; Everett, Pumpkin/Rotten Pumpkin Guts (Last Boss: Knight/No-Eyes Vampire Bat); Lily, Unicorn/Rotten Egg

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Those complaining about frame rate and slowdown, can you specify which system you are playing it on? So far I think only one person has done so.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A guy just complained about it on PSN

I can confirm there's slowdown on the XBLA version as well

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My costume group:
    Robot, Fries, liberty
    Items...2-Ply on support, Rotten egg on second damage dealer, TP or attack bonus on main damager. For bosses give your support the Damage over time one, and whatever you want for the other ones.
    Only missing one costume piece...gotta figure out how to get to that chest on the left side of the 2nd floor of the mall behind the train.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Might want to spoiler some of that dude, especially the costumes.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg