As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Enemy New Thread, in your area

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    noweat wrote: »
    Hey so what are you PC guys changing in the config file to help with the stuttering?

I assume you want to change seta r_multiGpu "1" to seta r_multiGpu "0"

but I can't fine the line which dictates its only using a single core. Basically I have no idea what I am doing here

it should be the next line down. multi devices or something like that. set to "1" to use multiple cores

Does this help much?

Edit: No. No it doesn't. The game remains basically unplayable.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm done. I don't know how the hell Treyarch managed it, but this is far worse than MW2.

I'm so glad I just rented.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    I'm done. I don't know how the hell Treyarch managed it, but this is far worse than MW2.

Huh. This opinion is wrong as opinions get!

I kid, but really what don't you like?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    GccPoseidonGccPoseidon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Oh man. Gun Game is fun as hell. I recommend it instead of the ridiculous customs we used to do - just get us all in Gun Game and have a guy at the end with a ballistic knife going crazy trying to get a kill against people with snipers and Grim Reapers.

This, a thousand times, this.

GccPoseidon on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is the first CoD where I've managed to maintain a pretty decent K/D ratio. I've never really cared that much, but it's actually fun killing 3-4 people before I myself get taken out. Unlike in MW2, where I would run a few feet, presumably trip over my shoes, and faceplant all the while the sniper from across the map who shot the knots out of my shoelaces laughs and calls in a nuke.

I get knifed when I get too close to someone, not when I walk into a room, they're across the room, and then they use goddamn magic to sink a blade into my face-parts. I hit people in the legs and keep hitting them in the legs and they die because they don't have magical leg armor that protects them from death.

I'm not even cheesed about Nuketown, where the Gods of Chaos and Anarchy fuck, and you, as their spawn, are birthed right on top of the enemies' oncoming bullets.

Suffice it to say, I'm enjoying this game bunches.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Don't let the thread door hit you on the way out! :P

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The dichotomy here is really striking between the PC and console players. The PC version is practically unplayable in it's current state, and is riddled with problems. Added on top of the shitty matchmaking...

I regret buying it, it's just so non-functional.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is the first CoD where I've managed to maintain a pretty decent K/D ratio. I've never really cared that much, but it's actually fun killing 3-4 people before I myself get taken out. Unlike in MW2, where I would run a few feet, presumably trip over my shoes, and faceplant all the while the sniper from across the map who shot the knots out of my shoelaces laughs and calls in a nuke.

I get knifed when I get too close to someone, not when I walk into a room, they're across the room, and then they use goddamn magic to sink a blade into my face-parts. I hit people in the legs and keep hitting them in the legs and they die because they don't have magical leg armor that protects them from death.

I'm not even cheesed about Nuketown, where the Gods of Chaos and Anarchy fuck, and you, as their spawn, are birthed right on top of the enemies' oncoming bullets.

Suffice it to say, I'm enjoying this game bunches.
    mw2commando.gif

Also, Gun game is 6 people only. no more no less. I have yet to find the option for private match gun game. with 18 peoples.

edit also: How much fun and rewarding is it to destroy an RCXD? Fuck, one match with all pubbies against a clan, they had 3 out at the same time and I destroyed all three.

At Villa, by the fountain. one comes from the side, one from the street, one from the sniper's perch. I saved like 4 lives that time, including my own, by nailing them.

Fuck they're awesome though.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Hey so what are you PC guys changing in the config file to help with the stuttering?

but I can't fine the line which dictates its only using a single core. Basically I have no idea what I am doing here

it should be the next line down. multi devices or something like that. set to "1" to use multiple cores

Does this help much?

Just tried this, it definitely smoothed things out for me

Changed:

r_multiGpu "1" to seta r_multiGpu "0"
    seta r_multithreaded_device "0" to seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

there was still a bit of stuttering every so often but it was definitely not as bad as before, also when the map loads the period where it feels like I have 1 fps is a lot lower

Definitely recommend tying this if you have a multi-core, this is mine

Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83ghz

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No but seriously Nuketown is the equivalent of two people fighting in a closet with high explosives.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PROTIP: In options, there's a toggle to boot directly into the multiplayer menu instead of to the torture chair campaign menu.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

The dichotomy here is really striking between the PC and console players. The PC version is practically unplayable in it's current state, and is riddled with problems. Added on top of the shitty matchmaking...

I regret buying it, it's just so non-functional.

Sadly, yes. When it is fixed (if it is fixed...) then I'm pretty sure I could have a lot of fun with BLOPS. Until then though, I have a $60 digital paperweight.

I'll try those config changes in a bit. Maybe they'll make it so I can go through the campaign at least.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I buckled and got the AK47U, strapped on rapid fire and a grip...

I went from a 0.3 ratio, to 0.9 or 1.0 in matches.

I know it's imbalanced, but suddenly not just getting my ass handed to me is very rewarding.

Right now I'm rocking: Scav, Warlord, Marathon (probably gonna drop marathon soon) plus Nova gas (WHICH IS FUCKING AMAZING), frags and C4 (want to replace with claymore).

It's pretty solid, I'd kill to use anything but SMG's but right now its just about the best option.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

Spoilered to not shit up the thread.
    The netcode is crazy bad, at least compared to Halo Reach and even MW2. Searching by Locale Only does nothing. It's apparent in Killcams and such that I'm always upto a couple seconds behind people - killcams I apparently didn't shoot a damn thing when I shot half a clip into the guy. Getting pulled out behind walls I just ran behind to get sniped. This is 10x as bad as MW2.

The weapons are just as imbalanced, if not more so. I'm an LMG guy, and so far they seem genuinely useless. Why use them when AR's are more accurate and kill in a 1/10th of the time. I've said this before, but I was struggling with an LMG with a 1 K/D, picked up an Enfield, and proceeded to rape faces. Anecdotal, I know, but goddamn did it piss me off. There's also the minor thing that LMGs have 1/4 of the attachments of ARs. I know that LMGs where never overpowered, but they were more balanced in MW2.

The maps are... wow. While I like what they did with making the maps more compact, I assumed they'd improve the spawning system as well. Just... wow. Nuketown is the worst map I've played on in a fps by far.

They removed the unlock system and replaced it with this "buy whatever you want" crap. I realise this is personal preference to the max, but I loved the Kills -> Attachments -> More Attachments system. Mastering a weapon and getting the Title for it gave a nice progression to the game. Also the Perks are imbalanced as hell, and the Pro unlock requirements for some of them are beyond retarded.

I really wanted to like this game. :(
    /end rant

Edit: I'm a 360 player btw.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Does this help much?

did you notice any changes at all? prior, my games would stutter constantly even though I had a solid fps and my ping was <60. after wards, just the first 10 seconds of a new map would stutter, which I was going to blame on having half of my ram die. at this point i was thinking if i still had a full 4g's i wouldn't have any stutter at all.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just finished the single player today, and I want to say that it is much better than MW2's.

Although the bit at the end
    where Reznov turned out to be a hallucination for most of the game
    was a little obvious.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Does this help much?

Just tried this, it definitely smoothed things out for me

Changed:

r_multiGpu "1" to seta r_multiGpu "0"
    seta r_multithreaded_device "0" to seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

there was still a bit of stuttering every so often but it was definitely not as bad as before, also when the map loads the period where it feels like I have 1 fps is a lot lower

Definitely recommend tying this if you have a multi-core, this is mine

Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83ghz

Just to confirm, where are these files? I edited the cfg files in the folders on my PC, it didn't help me.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Count me in as another one of the suffering PC users. My sound is popping like crazy, and when it's not popping, the way sound is being played is Wonky as all hell. Half the time, all of my guns sound like they're being shot out of a pillow, but enemies yelling from 100 yards away will be screeching loud. Could they have possibly buggered this console port any worse? Ugh, ah well what I have played so far is fun.

How does one break out of the restraints on the PC version? Every time I try to click the fire/ads binds they just activate the menu. Any thoughts?

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hit Spacebar over and over to break out of the chair. When you want to get back in the chair, head over to it and use Spacebar again. :^:

Kami on
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Just to confirm, where are these files? I edited the cfg files in the folders on my PC, it didn't help me.

not at my home machine but it should be found in the steam folder, apps, common, cod directory. that's not perfectly accurate but hopefully enough to help you find what i edited anyway.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kami wrote: »
    Hit Spacebar over and over to break out of the chair. When you want to get back in the chair, head over to it and use Spacebar again. :^:

Ahhh thankee, I'll give that a stab tonight. Here's hoping that patches are inbound for the PC version, the sound and stuttering issues really detract from the title for me and I'm loving the locales so far, so lets see some patchin!

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    lol.

Combat training vetran mode has aim bots and wall hacks.

This is no crap, load up combat training, even the "regular" bots wall hack and aim bot, it's hilarious.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Boogdud wrote: »
    lol.

Combat training vetran mode has aim bots and wall hacks.

This is no crap, load up combat training, even the "regular" bots wall hack and aim bot, it's hilarious.
    It's pretty much the same AI they use for single-player.

Hoz on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

The netcode is crazy bad, at least compared to Halo Reach and even MW2. Searching by Locale Only does nothing. It's apparent in Killcams and such that I'm always upto a couple seconds behind people - killcams I apparently didn't shoot a damn thing when I shot half a clip into the guy. Getting pulled out behind walls I just ran behind to get sniped. This is 10x as bad as MW2.

The weapons are just as imbalanced, if not more so. I'm an LMG guy, and so far they seem genuinely useless. Why use them when AR's are more accurate and kill in a 1/10th of the time. I've said this before, but I was struggling with an LMG with a 1 K/D, picked up an Enfield, and proceeded to rape faces. Anecdotal, I know, but goddamn did it piss me off. There's also the minor thing that LMGs have 1/4 of the attachments of ARs. I know that LMGs where never overpowered, but they were more balanced in MW2.

The maps are... wow. While I like what they did with making the maps more compact, I assumed they'd improve the spawning system as well. Just... wow. Nuketown is the worst map I've played on in a fps by far.

They removed the unlock system and replaced it with this "buy whatever you want" crap. I realise this is personal preference to the max, but I loved the Kills -> Attachments -> More Attachments system. Mastering a weapon and getting the Title for it gave a nice progression to the game. Also the Perks are imbalanced as hell, and the Pro unlock requirements for some of them are beyond retarded.

/end rant

My only complaint is that the netcode truly *IS* a piece of shit. It's especially noticeable and ridiculous on the ballistics knife from the killcam.

I love the new unlock system! C'mon man! Customize what you want while playing what you want!

Maps.. have yet to form a solid opinion.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Reposted from some random website:
    If your PC supports multi-threading:
    seta r_multithreaded_device "1"
    in config_mp.cfg (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players)

How do I improve the game's sound quality?
    You can change sound to CD mode: 16 bits 44000 hz CD via control panel sound setting.

Misc. "potential" performance tweaks:
    Run Steam in Offline mode > Start Black Ops > End the steam.exe process > Set BO process priority to high
    /r_multiGpu - should be set to "0" if you do not have a multi-gpu graphics card.
    /r_blur_allowed - people are reporting minor frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /r_distortion - people are reporting minor frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /r_dof_enable - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "0"
    /r_glow_allowed - people are reporting huge frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /cg_brass - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "0"
    /r_cachemodellighting "1" - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "1"
    /r_cacheSmodellighting "1" - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "1"

I tried all of these and it made no noticeable difference, maybe some of you will have better luck.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    After one night of gaming I'm pleasantly surprised by BLOPS. It seems to cater to the SMG run-and-gun crowd more than MW2 and feels like MW1/WAW in that regard. I like that killstreaks are not so overpowered anymore reducing the overall campiness. Now if it wasn't so god damn buggy with parties and voice chat. And why does it look worse than COD :WAW?

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No but seriously Nuketown is the equivalent of two people fighting in a closet with high explosives.

Is it the BLOPS version of Dome from World at War? Because I loved Dome. Just hectic insanity, dying every 10 seconds, then respawning knowing wherever you turn will lead you to more guys to kill.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nuketown is fantastic on domination. Intense 100% action. Anyone who dislikes that is a monster.

A monster.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you loved shipment, you'll love nuketown. Never played dome, but yeah, it's probably like that.

I mean, opinions, man. Right?

For the dude who doesn't like blops, I totally feel for you. It can definitely feel like a step back if they take the things you like in a series and make them worse than they were. You liked unlocking attachements, I hated it. I want to use a gun a certain way and now I can without having to worry about unlocking the next attachement.

Here's the thing though: most of those challenges are still there. Check out the challenges under player card: You still have challenges for using certain attachements and certain guns. only now it unlocks cash and stuff. Also pro perks are like a perverted version of the unlock system. A little bit more detailed, yeah, but Other than the "play this SPECIFIC gametype" ones, it's been great.

Fuck who needs marathon pro anyways? Well I do because our team kicks so much ass I keep ending up on the wrong side of the map.

I guess what I'm saying is you're totally valid opinions on the game are spot on: LMG are pretty much worthless in comparison to other guns for specific gamestyles. I just feel like there's so much to the game right now

belligerent on
  • Options
    DrDreidelDrDreidel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Only spent one night with the game thus far, but it feels like these maps are going to be much harder to learn than in MW2. Anyone else feel this way? I'm pretty horrid when it comes to an internal compass so it might take me longer than most to really get a feel for what to expect.

DrDreidel on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gastro and I are playing. if anyone wants in shoot me an invite.

twmjr on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reposted from some random website:
    If your PC supports multi-threading:
    seta r_multithreaded_device "1"
    in config_mp.cfg (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players)

How do I improve the game's sound quality?
    You can change sound to CD mode: 16 bits 44000 hz CD via control panel sound setting.

Misc. "potential" performance tweaks:
    Run Steam in Offline mode > Start Black Ops > End the steam.exe process > Set BO process priority to high
    /r_multiGpu - should be set to "0" if you do not have a multi-gpu graphics card.
    /r_blur_allowed - people are reporting minor frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /r_distortion - people are reporting minor frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /r_dof_enable - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "0"
    /r_glow_allowed - people are reporting huge frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /cg_brass - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "0"
    /r_cachemodellighting "1" - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "1"
    /r_cacheSmodellighting "1" - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "1"

I tried all of these and it made no noticeable difference, maybe some of you will have better luck.

I tried the r_multigpu "0" and r_multithreaded_device "1" (originals were 1 & 0 respectively) in the single player config and that definitely took out a lot of the constant hitches and lag. Although there still some micro stutter once in a while, but it is definitely better then before.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watching the Giant Bomb quick look seriously annoyed me, with how smooth the game runs on 360 compared to the horrid mess I have on PC. :/ I guess i'll have to find a copy for my 360 and just eat the cost of the PC version.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Watching the Giant Bomb quick look seriously annoyed me, with how smooth the game runs on 360 compared to the horrid mess I have on PC. :/ I guess i'll have to find a copy for my 360 and just eat the cost of the PC version.

Haha jesus, do they have you wrapped around their finger

I wouldn't give them a red cent more of my money

tofu on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe it's because my last launch game was BC2, but I feel like I am a lot less angry about the PC release needing 0-day patch than a lot of people.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

/end rant

My only complaint is that the netcode truly *IS* a piece of shit. It's especially noticeable and ridiculous on the ballistics knife from the killcam.

I love the new unlock system! C'mon man! Customize what you want while playing what you want!

Maps.. have yet to form a solid opinion.

And to address Blurbl's locale filtering complaint, give it some time to gather data. I figure its like Halo's host determination where it takes a little time to work up a history and get running smoothly.

Arrath on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Maybe it's because my last launch game was BC2, but I feel like I am a lot less angry about the PC release needing 0-day patch than a lot of people.

BC2 was nowhere near this bad

tofu on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »

BC2 was quite playable the first day it came out, even if the server browser did (and continues to) suck.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »

Ah, maybe I'm just having a lot less issues on my PC than most, then.

I do remember having tonnes of issues with friends, rank and connecting to servers in that game on its launch, though.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone got their first chopper gunner today. Then my SAM instantly shot it down. I think they actually cried over the mic.

It was so epic.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.