Options

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Enemy New Thread, in your area

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just tried the Einfeld in combat training mode because I had to bang out that achievement and that gun is nice. Definitely going to have to buy it for the real MP and see what I can do with it. The fact that I only have five custom classes seems worse here than it was in MW2, but that might be because I was used to having so much more at the end. I just want to try out all the guns, but like having the choices of guns I know I'm good with. That's my complaint about the game.

Magell on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I played the first three SP missions, and a good portion of the multiplayer.

Despite my fears, I do see a solid CoD experience here, along with some new MP additions that could put it above MW2. Maps seem less like camping bullshit (minus Nuketown, though that's obviously intentional), and weapons/perks don't seem as overpowered. I'm particularly enjoying the M14, something I normally never considered with MW (I'm usually an LMG man).

BUT, speaking from the 360 version at least, there seems to be issues with lag and/or hit detection. MW wasn't exactly perfect with the netcode, but I've found myself more than once in BLOPS questioning my losses; too many times someone will open fire, and it appears like I've ducked into cover in time, but I still suddenly find myself dead. There are also some firefights where the guy is somehow lag-dodging my shots, or maybe it's some sort of super-speed perk I'm not aware of.

This seems especially apparent during the victory kill-cams, where someone will be shot up with bullets and then fall down a half-second later.

I really hope they get to patching this right-quick, because what's available here could potentially beat out MW2, but my tolerance for laggy multiplayer is very short.

I still hope the people behind Gears of War 2 die a painful, cock-smothering death.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magell wrote: »
    I just tried the Einfeld in combat training mode because I had to bang out that achievement and that gun is nice. Definitely going to have to buy it for the real MP and see what I can do with it. The fact that I only have five custom classes seems worse here than it was in MW2, but that might be because I was used to having so much more at the end. I just want to try out all the guns, but like having the choices of guns I know I'm good with. That's my complaint about the game.

I'll say it again, Enfield + Reflex is good times.

And Snuggles are you referring to the super-slow mo that activates during the final kill cam?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Oh god I want to play this game after Scat hype HYPE HYpe.

Heyyyyyy!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I'm heading home. The USPS has now had a fraction over five times the hours it takes to get from Pittsburgh to where I live. I'm guessing my copy STILL isn't there when I get back.

Enjoy your game, fuckers. :D

Fawst on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bought BLOPS for the 360 this time so now I can play with all my best CoD4 friends again. How exciting!

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The FAMAS with the extended mag is so good. Sooo good.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I am using the ACOG/Grip M14 and I like it. It took me a while to get to a point where I was comfortable reloading slowly, and having little to no up close game. I fixed this by using a good pistol and the tomahawk for people who get in near. It's a pretty awesome combination.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The FAMAS is fucking civilization.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

The awesomeness will not be bottom-paged.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

And Snuggles are you referring to the super-slow mo that activates during the final kill cam?

Yeah. I wonder if the slow-mo is showing just how spotty the "reaction to being shot" mechanics are.

• Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TOMAHAWKS MOTHERFUCKERS

The awesomeness will not be bottom-paged.

Holy shit.

The bounce off the wall, too. I wish we could hear how players reacted to the final killcam.
    OMG.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As for my verdict on the game a few hours in, early impressions are that this is better than MW2 in so many ways. Me and Scat were talking to josh over party chat and spent ages going over the improvements, both small and large, that we enjoyed. Perks are good, maps are great (love Nuketown), loving the new stuff like Decoy grenades and the Jammer, enjoying the customization.

Of course, with these games there is likely going to be something that becomes ridiculous, but I can't say what at this point.

The matchmaking and spawning are the only real problems I have at the moment.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SAMs will be the first thing to be nerfed, I'm pretty sure. Those things are far too much of an advantage.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yeah. I wonder if the slow-mo is showing just how spotty the "reaction to being shot" mechanics are.

I don't know, I just assumed the final killcam enjoyed showing the body falling. Speaking as someone with frequent 1-2 bars the hit detection has been fine so far for me, as least from what I've noticed.

@Willeth: Noooooo, but you're probably right, maybe limited ammo or a slower firing rate for the SAM Turret?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SAMs will be the first thing to be nerfed, I'm pretty sure. Those things are far too much of an advantage.

They are immobile and need to be protected. If you know your enemy has a SAM you need to destroy it. They are very powerful and should be a priority.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do they appear on the map to the enemy? Because if so then I guess that's enough of a weakness - I guess I've just been amazed at how easily I've been getting points with them. I suppose in a couple of days that'll die down, though.

I'm assuming they expire over time the same as turrets.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Me and my friends are the only ones I've seen throw down a SAM turret.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sams arent bad because theyre completely defenseless. you need to make sure you take them the hell out if the other team has them up is all. i bet an entire team running SAMS would be something...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do they appear on the map to the enemy? Because if so then I guess that's enough of a weakness - I guess I've just been amazed at how easily I've been getting points with them. I suppose in a couple of days that'll die down, though.

I'm assuming they expire over time the same as turrets.

I've never seen enemy SAM Turrets on the map, but there is the fact that they have to be delivered via package, so you have to find a corner (easier in team games, though) and wait for it without getting it stolen, as has happened to me once or twice.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    DrDreidelDrDreidel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone know if/how you can check if your NAT is open in BLOPers?

DrDreidel on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I swore to high hell that I would not be buying this when it came out. Let's see, that lasted... 36 hours? A noble effort, I say.

Invite to the Steam group would be swell. Steam name is same as forum, rndmhero.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Huh... turns out I got my copy today after all. Thank you, USPS! Time to shoot mans!!!

Fawst on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I kinda like not having to listen to footsteps because they pretty much aren't there. I can finally not feel disadvantaged because I play music while playing.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So yeah LMGs definitely have no place in this game as of yet. The stats on my lifetime deaths is hilarious because its pretty even then rockets up when I have the RPK equipped

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually, do enemy SAM Turrets appear on the map when they fire like Sentry Guns? Because that makes it considerably fairer if you're paying attention.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So yeah LMGs definitely have no place in this game as of yet. The stats on my lifetime deaths is hilarious because its pretty even then rockets up when I have the RPK equipped

So for the uninformed but a love of the RPK can you tell me what the issue with LMG's is? I loved LMG's in MW2 as well but I'm awful at FPS games so I'm probably out sucking the guns suckiness.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

M60 with Grip and Big Ammo disagrees that it has no place. If you're trying to get in people's faces with LMGs, you're doing it wrong here. Keep distance, move back - hold the line as it were, letting the faster folks ahead and giving fire assistance.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I guess this page is the tomahawk kill page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqVDWkdonbc

Willeth on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Here's the thing about SAM Turrets: yeah, they're awesome, but they're also strictly support. They won't get you any kills, so right there, you know that 95% of players will never drop one down unless they get it out of a Care Package. It's just like launchers -- most players won't carry around a LAW with one shot that'll probably just get eaten up by counter-measures so they can help their team deal with enemy air support.

I do, because I care about winning. I also use the absolute shit out of SAM Turrets, because they're crazy good and totally under-utilized.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I guess this page is the tomahawk kill page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqVDWkdonbc

wow

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    But girls don't play CoD

Whoops
    Treyarch may have forgotten that females like to play Call of Duty, but is trying to make amends for its mistake.

Purchasers of the Call of Duty: Black Ops Hardened and Prestige editions were told they'd receive a code for a unique Xbox Live or PlayStation Home avatar outfit, but the virtual clothing didn't work for everyone. Specifically, female avatars were left in the cold. To make up for its mistake, Activision and Treyarch have released codes for the outfits that females can wear too.

When female Black Ops special edition buyers attempted to display their fandom through the unique avatar outfits, they weren't given access. They found out that the code for the duds included in the box only worked for males.

Thankfully, Activision quickly jumped to fix the issue and responded to complaints by female gamers (or male gamers with female avatars) by releasing universal codes for female versions of the Xbox Live Black Ops outfits. A Cheap Ass Gamer user has posted the codes so that any female slighted by this issue can have the situation rectified. Here they are:

SR 71 Flight Suit
    gyvf8-pf7ry-28d7v-vgwv8-cfgrm

Woods Outfit
    r76bq-cr3mf-g2ttf-9g36r-bqwjd

As of this writing, I wasn't able to find out if the avatar situation has been solved for PlayStation 3 gamers as well, but it likely will be in the near future if it hasn't already. Female PlayStation 3 Black Ops players should try to contact Activision support.

I get that males are the typical hardcore gaming demographic that plays the Call of Duty series, but come on, did not a single person at Activision or Treyarch think that females might need to be considered here too? Minor as it may be, things like this don't really help the cause to bring more female gamers into the fold.

Source: CAG

At least they rectified the issue straight away, kinda amusing though.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Playing right now if anyone wants to party up.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wasn't going to get this

but my girlfriend surprised me today and was like "'cause you bought me flowers when I had a bad week"

so

let's play this game kids

T4CT on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My brother bought this today. I have little interest in Treyarch's bi-annual cash in filler titles, but I played it for a few hours out of academic curiosity now that Infinity Ward is basically dead and apparently these are the hands that Call of Duty now rests in.

Is it just me or does this game look like dog shit? Like, noticably worse than MW2. The texture filtering is atrocious and some of the prop textures are so low res they look like PS2 assets.

Playing on the PS3 version.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, dumb question, but it's one of those things I never really looked up.

Do you show up on the enemy radar if you sprint?

• Options
    edited November 2010
    So, dumb question, but it's one of those things I never really looked up.

Do you show up on the enemy radar if you sprint?

Nope, without Spy Plane/Blackbird/Motion Sensor it's only firing an unsuppresed weapon that does that.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    My brother bought this today. I have little interest in Treyarch's bi-annual cash in filler titles, but I played it for a few hours out of academic curiosity now that Infinity Ward is basically dead and apparently these are the hands that Call of Duty now rests in.

Is it just me or does this game look like dog shit? Like, noticably worse than MW2. The texture filtering is atrocious and some of the prop textures are so low res they look like PS2 assets.

Playing on the PS3 version.

Im just going to post this I'm not trying to start anything I'm on PS3 as well, and lets just say. FUCK this sub ->upscaler -> 720p bullshit thats happening this generation.

From Digital Foundry
    Summary:
    -PS3 drops in resolution from previous COD titles from 1024x600 to 960x544, 360 version increases slightly to 1040x608.

-360 version has noticeably better performance, can be as much as 20FPS, even in cutscenes!

-360 has higher resolution shadows and better shadow filtering.

-Graphical bugs do appear in both versions but PS3 has them more frequently and are more apparent.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any chance I can get an invite to the steam group? Name's in my signature along with a link right to it because I'm cool like that.

BionicPenguin on