As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: The Gathering- Punch a baby get an Eldrazi

1596061626365»

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The article from the designer that put the infect in the set, on how he's been trying to get poison back in magic for years, is depressing. Based on the article alone I hope they fire him, he's a terrible magic player.

You mean the guy who's responsible for like... all of Magic? You...you want him to fire himself?

Mark Rosewater was lead dev on... Tempest, Urza’s Destiny, Odyssey, Mirrodin, Ravnica: City of Guilds, Future Sight, Shadowmoor, Eventide, and Zendikar (also Unglued). Everything else since 2003 he's been the boss, but hasn't always specifically designed cards or mechanics.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/107

I'm not making an actual, substantiated argument, though. Just based on this article, he sounds like a dufus.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I don't actually dislike infect, when it comes to constructed.

It's fine in Constructed. It's just a lottery deck in Constructed, where you're hoping you manage to sneak the damage in before your overpriced, low toughness creatures all die. It's in Limited that it's a pain in the ass.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The article from the designer that put the infect in the set, on how he's been trying to get poison back in magic for years, is depressing. Based on the article alone I hope they fire him, he's a terrible magic player.

You mean the guy who's responsible for like... all of Magic? You...you want him to fire himself?

Mark Rosewater was lead dev on... Tempest, Urza’s Destiny, Odyssey, Mirrodin, Ravnica: City of Guilds, Future Sight, Shadowmoor, Eventide, and Zendikar (also Unglued). Everything else since 2003 he's been the boss, but hasn't always specifically designed cards or mechanics.

I'm not making an actual, substantiated argument, though. Just based on this article, he sounds like a dufus.

Are you serious, Darkewolfe? I thought you were trolling.

Infect is a deeply unfortunate mechanic and unbalances and entire limited environment (one that seems to have pretty great, engaging board situations when poison's not around). And his pride at not having any cards or effects that mitigate poison ("leeches") is misplaced as this is a pure mistake with Infect as powerful as it is.

But MaRo lifetime has done soooooo much for Magic, from individual sets and cards to the culture with events like the Invitational and the Great Designer Search. For every shitty mechanic he's spawned he's got a dozen solid ones and a couple of real winners.

As a designer, it's his job to push the envelope. If anything, we should be blaming the developers, whose job it is to balance formats and keep true brokenness from leaking through, for letting this OP nonesense into the final set.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've got to say, I'm a bit disappointed that they're ending the mail out rewards. It's not like I participated in enough tournaments (mostly just 1-2 flights per pre-release) to get much out of it, but getting an oversize card and a couple of textless cards a couple times per year was fun.

Supposedly they're going to move those resources towards event prize support, but we have no idea yet what they mean by this.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My only problem with Poison is Untamed Might at common.
    And while most poison guys may be overcosted in some manner, most of them trade with pretty much 90% of the limited environment anyways so against certain poison decks it just becomes a matter of "play more dudes and hope one of them gets through UNTAMED MIGHT"

It would have been nice to be able to punish the poison players somehow, but I can understand not wanting to put HATEHATEHATE for a pet mechanic into set.

I just pretty much despise Infect for limited. Drafted a really solid U/W deck and only lost to the lottery infect deck on tuesday.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

Infect is a deeply unfortunate mechanic and unbalances and entire limited environment (one that seems to have pretty great, engaging board situations when poison's not around). And his pride at not having any cards or effects that mitigate poison ("leeches") is misplaced as this is a pure mistake with Infect as powerful as it is.

I will never understand the logic behind designing a win condition with no counters. It sounds like the kind of thing a five year old would do if you let him design a mechanic.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think another big problem with infect is that since infect creatures and most supporting cards are so bad in other archetypes that when there is one infect drafter he will get shipped every infect card, combine that with how easy the pick ordering is for infect results in a no brainer best deck possible.

Take a somewhat different example from RoE. If you tried to draft the Kiln fiend deck other people may still take a random kiln fiend and they sure are going to be drafting a lot of good instant and sorcery removal.

Switch this to M11, imagine if you sat down and told the table "I'll be the only person allowed to draft blue tonight". Imagine how sick your deck would be. This basically happens every other draft in Scars with the infect decks.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

Are you serious, Darkewolfe? I thought you were trolling.

But MaRo lifetime has done soooooo much for Magic, from individual sets and cards to the culture with events like the Invitational and the Great Designer Search. For every shitty mechanic he's spawned he's got a dozen solid ones and a couple of real winners.

As a designer, it's his job to push the envelope. If anything, we should be blaming the developers, whose job it is to balance formats and keep true brokenness from leaking through, for letting this OP nonesense into the final set.

I am always trolling. And being hyperbolic.

I have no idea who any developer is. I read the one article by him. I only got back into Magic during Worldwake, don't forget, after quitting back in Mirage.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else going to GP Nashville this weekend? I have a contingent of nerds from my LGS making a roadtrip from Arkansas to Tennessee.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mouschi wrote: »
    Anyone else going to GP Nashville this weekend? I have a contingent of nerds from my LGS making a roadtrip from Arkansas to Tennessee.

Heading out around 10ish. 8 hour drive, yay.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So er a shell of temple bells, throne of geth, volatic keys, pyromancer ascension, molten pysche and runeflare trap could be pretty fun.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So er a shell of temple bells, throne of geth, volatic keys, pyromancer ascension, molten pysche and runeflare trap could be pretty fun.

RFT was the original pyromancer deck in standard, ran that with howling mines and the draw 2 artifact from alara block. I ran that for a while, worked decently.

deveric on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    While there are some combo decks in my playgroup, most of them (that is to say, kill conditions) are typically creature based, which has led to the creation of something that I feel will be funny as hell, at least once.

Killing people with kindness: The Deck

4 Howling Mine
    4 Font of Mythos
    4 Sculpting Steel
    4 Fog
    4 Holy Day
    4 Moment's Peace
    4 Respite
    4 Black Vise
    4 Scourglass
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn (exists solely to act as a library reset button to help avoid decking myself)

23 lands (including one Eye of Ugin to help find said Emrakul).

Barring direct damage, I should be essentially unkillable by most of the decks my crew runs without being ganged up on, and at least the first time I play it I should have time to set things in motion.

Everyone loves the deck that runs Howling Mine!

Oooh, another!

... wait, a Font... 5 cards per turn? That's not good.

Another font. Somebody do something about him.

NOOOOOOOO!

Forar on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Forar, might I suggest chronomatic escape?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did a small Standard tournament today for an Alpha Timetwister, brought a vampire deck tuned to beat ramp and non-white control. First round, red midrange. OK matchup, but 2 mana screws later I moved onto next round, which some sort of ally deck that promptly died to the combo twice on the back of double fetchland shenanigans. Then a BUW control list, where game one is lost due to Day of Judgement and then game 2, I proceed to resolve memoricide and name Jace. Whoops, should have thought about that one. 2 turns later Day of Judgement eats my board, Gideon lands and things turn out poorly.

Then I play allies with mimic vat and realize just how screwed vampires are with a mimic vat on the board. Shuts you down cold.

But the one time I got to attack with a 20/21 vampire made me feel all better, though probably not playing vamps no more.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What sites do you guys use to buy singles?

blackborder or something?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i use channelfireball, which is ~okay on prices, but not super-cheap. they just have the nicest interface i've found, and they're close, so i can order monday night and have singles ready for FNM.

Edit: But yeah, I mostly don't use them for chase rares / chase mythics, just commons / uncommons / cheap rares / cheap mythics.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Forar, might I suggest chronomatic escape?

Oooh, those are intriguing. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I primarily use The Wizard's Cupboard for commons, uncommons and cheap rares. (which is to say inexpensive rares, their chase rare/mythic prices are up there with everyone else's).

Forar on
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had so much fucking fun in Nashville this weekend.

In the main event, I started out 0-2, decided to try my luck and was 5-2 going into round eight. I just had to win two more rounds! I went to the pairings sheets, and saw I was playing Brian Kibler.

It was actually some of the craziest magic I've seen. My sealed pool was pretty dumb - mimic vat, precursor golem, hoard-smelter dragon, true conviction, double darksteel sentinel, triple turn to slag, and NO MANA MYR. NONE. Kibler had wurmcoil engine, argentum armor, tower of calamities, and some other craziness. At one point just to try to stall for outs, I had to turn to slag a wurmcoil with argentum armor attached, then arc trail it for one so I could lose to to a 3/3 with lifelink and bladed pinions.

Anyway, I went ahead and played round 9, won against another 5-3, and felt pretty damn good about the day as a whole. It was my first grand prix ever, and I got within striking distance of day two. And I got to play a famous guy!

Sunday I signed up for the PTQ, sat down and opened the worst sealed pool I've ever seen. My removal was sylvok replica, shatter, embersmith, instill infection, and volition reins. My bombs were precursor golem and argent sphinx. I went 2-3 drop, congratulated myself for winning two rounds at least, and watched a little bit of day two.

I went into Nashville expecting to go 0-3 drop, and did much, much better than I expected in the main event. It's the most fun I've had playing Magic ever, and now I think I'm going to start testing extended decks for Atlanta.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I built the Genesis Wave deck that Travis Woo posted about a month ago.
    For reference here is the list I am using.

4 Lotus Cobra
    4 Joraga Treespeaker
    4 Primeval Titan
    4 Oracle of Mul Daya
    3 Avenger of Zendikar
    3 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen

4 Genesis Wave
    4 Explore
    3 Khalni Garden Expedition

4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Evolving Wilds
    3 Swamp
    12 Forest

It's ludicrously fun to play. I've found myself cackling with glee as I waved for 7, flipped over a Cobra, 3 fetches, an Avenger, and a Primeval Titan, then waved again for 8.

Is the deck as good as Eldrazi Green or Valakut? No, it lacks the straight forward consistency that those two decks have. The Genesis Wave deck can also fall prey to the "all ramp or all bombs" hands that have notoriously plagued ramp decks in the past. EGreen and Valakut have Summoning Trap and other things to do if they fizzle for a couple turns. This deck just dies if it doesn't hit a wave.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If it was me, I'd run overgrown battlements and 1-2 mnemonic walls to get genesis waves back from the yard if they get hit by the first wave. Cut explores and some measure of oracles. Every spell except for genesis wave should be a permanent.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    *****double post*****

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You're also not running Emrakul, which is a great card for the Genesis Wave deck as you can just choose not to cast it when Waving, so as to restock your library.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mouschi wrote: »
    I had so much fucking fun in Nashville this weekend.

In the main event, I started out 0-2, decided to try my luck and was 5-2 going into round eight. I just had to win two more rounds! I went to the pairings sheets, and saw I was playing Brian Kibler.

It was actually some of the craziest magic I've seen. My sealed pool was pretty dumb - mimic vat, precursor golem, hoard-smelter dragon, true conviction, double darksteel sentinel, triple turn to slag, and NO MANA MYR. NONE. Kibler had wurmcoil engine, argentum armor, tower of calamities, and some other craziness. At one point just to try to stall for outs, I had to turn to slag a wurmcoil with argentum armor attached, then arc trail it for one so I could lose to to a 3/3 with lifelink and bladed pinions.

Anyway, I went ahead and played round 9, won against another 5-3, and felt pretty damn good about the day as a whole. It was my first grand prix ever, and I got within striking distance of day two. And I got to play a famous guy!

Sunday I signed up for the PTQ, sat down and opened the worst sealed pool I've ever seen. My removal was sylvok replica, shatter, embersmith, instill infection, and volition reins. My bombs were precursor golem and argent sphinx. I went 2-3 drop, congratulated myself for winning two rounds at least, and watched a little bit of day two.

I went into Nashville expecting to go 0-3 drop, and did much, much better than I expected in the main event. It's the most fun I've had playing Magic ever, and now I think I'm going to start testing extended decks for Atlanta.

That is awesome, Mouschi. Sounds like a pretty awesome experience all around. Congratulations!

What paper magic player is going to nut up and make a new thread?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I will do this thing, because it looks like we don't require much from our Magic OP's.

New thread here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=132197

Darkewolfe on
This discussion has been closed.