As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: The Gathering- Punch a baby get an Eldrazi

• Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to my first ever PTQ tomorrow. I'll consider it a victory if I don't lose every single round.

Starcross on
  • Options
    EviizEviiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What deck are you going to be running?

Eviiz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As it's sealed, whatever I open.

Starcross on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ADVICE FOR STARCROSS:

Play your bombs: No matter what colors. Scars sealed is really slow and swingy, so outbombing your opponent means playing all your bombs.

Black/Green are pretty much horrible.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I had a light draft last night. Hoard smelting dragon is such an amazingly good card in limited. It's bomb, it's a creature, it has evasion, it has removal... what more could you want?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had a really odd GU infect draft today. My rd1 opponent had Wurmcoil Engine, Steel Hellkite and Strata Scythe and I still beat him. I proliferated 8 poison counters onto him.

Lost round 2 to Koth. Also drew way too many lands in the games I lost, on top of mulling all 3 games (to 5 in game 3). I think the dude to my left was in infect, which led to me not getting as many ichorclaws as I wanted and zero corpse curs. My deck would have been much stronger with just one corpse cur.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, I had a light draft last night. Hoard smelting dragon is such an amazingly good card in limited. It's bomb, it's a creature, it has evasion, it has removal... what more could you want?

Hoardsmelter + Liquimetal Coating in Limited

...what's that? I can remove pretty much anything for 3R? AND it pumps my flyer?

Lucedes on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was thinking about that the other day, actually, pretty handy way to take care of planeswalkers too.

I was also considering the possibility of an artifact planeswalker in this set, but it seems like it would be worthless because that extra type makes it way more vulnerable. Still, I do like the idea of a colorless Myr planeswalker.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I was thinking about that the other day, actually, pretty handy way to take care of planeswalkers too.

I was also considering the possibility of an artifact planeswalker in this set, but it seems like it would be worthless because that extra type makes it way more vulnerable. Still, I do like the idea of a colorless Myr planeswalker.

I would love a Myr planeswalker. Irregardless of price/utility. Probably more if it was terrible.

Colorless might happen, but I think artifact might be out, since being Planeswalker overrides other things. (?)

Tezzeret is also coming back, which might be the most mechanical the planeswalkers get. It's foreshadowed heavily enough that it's pretty certain, at this point. (He might even make colorless viable!) (I can dream.)

Or another Locus land, that would be pretty sweet.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'm willing to bet we see a colourless Karn planeswalker by the end of the block.

Starcross on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Starcross wrote: »

I'm willing to bet we see a colourless Karn planeswalker by the end of the block.

Yeah, if ever they were going to make one, it'd be now.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Isn't Karn supposed to be fucked up powerful though? As in, on par with Nicol Bolas? And also stuck back in time freaking out about how he caused the time rifts on Dominaria in the first place?

Gonna be an interesting card that...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Isn't Karn supposed to be fucked up powerful though? As in, on par with Nicol Bolas? And also stuck back in time freaking out about how he caused the time rifts on Dominaria in the first place?

Didn't Karn lose his planeswalker spark and is now busy being corrupted by phyrexia?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Didn't Karn lose his planeswalker spark and is now busy being corrupted by phyrexia?

See that was never clear; IIRC, he was reduced to a "mortal" planeswalker like Venser and the rest of them, so he couldn't go about creating whole planes any more but I'm pretty sure he retained the ability to actually planeswalk though. This confusion is not helped by the fact that he never had a "proper" spark in the first place, since it was induced in him by the artefacts used to power him up.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I'm putting together Teneb EDH.
    Given my current playgroup, I have decided to include a minimum three (3) "infinite" combos.

Squirrel's Nest+Earthcraft.
    Triskelion+Phyrexian Devourer+Necrotic Ooze
    Doubling Season+Triskelion+Mephidross Vampire

I've paired these three combos with a large mass of tutors as well as a Life From the Loam/Astral Slide engine to simultaneously dig incredibly deep into my deck and set up a ridiculous Replenish/Living Death win.

Teneb

Doubling Season
    Survival of the Fittest
    Phyrexian Arena
    Debtor’s Knell
    Mirari’s Wake
    Earthcraft
    Mana Reflection
    Astral Slide
    Squirrel's Nest
    Sterling Grove
    Necropotence

Demonic Tutor
    Diabolic Tutor
    Vampiric Tutor
    Idyllic Tutor
    Enlightened Tutor
    Worldly Tutor
    Life from the Loam
    Replenish
    Living Death
    Tooth and Nail
    Living Death

Maelstrom Pulse
    Path to Exile
    Swords to Plowshares
    Hallowed Burial
    Wrath of God
    Krosan Grip
    Austere Command
    Decree of Pain

Explosive Vegetation
    Kodama’s Reach
    Cultivate
    Reap and Sow

Gilded Lotus
    Coalition Relic
    Mana Vault
    Darksteel Ingot
    Sensei’s Divining Top
    Lightning Greeves

Garruk
    Liliana
    Elspeth

Yosei, the Morning Star
    Sakura Tribe Elder
    Academy Rector
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Necrotic Sliver
    Iona Shield of Emeria
    Harmonic Sliver
    Woodfall Primus
    Terastodon
    Reveillark
    Eternal Witness
    Karmic Guide
    Angel of Despair
    Genesis
    Avenger of Zendikar
    Mephidross Vampire
    Triskelion
    Necrotic Ooze
    Phyrexian Devourer

38 awesome lands (the 6 cycling lands, Duals, Basics for my ramp, fetches, Volrath’s Strongold, Serra’s Sanctum, etc)

B.C. on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't realize there were so many squirrel creatures/token generators available.

...now I wanna make a squirrel deck just for the hell of it. :P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorin Markov needs to be in there, BC. And Vindicate. I'd even consider Crime//Punishment and Profane Command, as they are among the most versatile spells we have access to. Farseek over Reap and Sow, for sure, though.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lucedes wrote: »

Hoardsmelter + Liquimetal Coating in Limited

...what's that? I can remove pretty much anything for 3R? AND it pumps my flyer?

Oh, right, I forgot to mention the liquimetal coating I had. And I was playing primarily white, so I had a bunch of revoke existences.

I also got a mimic vat.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

See that was never clear; IIRC, he was reduced to a "mortal" planeswalker like Venser and the rest of them, so he couldn't go about creating whole planes any more but I'm pretty sure he retained the ability to actually planeswalk though. This confusion is not helped by the fact that he never had a "proper" spark in the first place, since it was induced in him by the artefacts used to power him up.

Now that'd be a cool concept. A Planeswalker powered by Metalcraft, sacrifice artifacts to power him up to higher levels.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I went 4-2 at my first ever PTQ. Necrotic Ooze + Myr Propogator is fun

Starcross on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

congrats, did you win anything cool?

deveric on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    deveric wrote: »

congrats, did you win anything cool?

I got 2 boosters for coming 14th. One contained an Elspeth Tirel.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nice

B.C. on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    B.C. wrote: »
    ADVICE FOR STARCROSS:

Play your bombs: No matter what colors. Scars sealed is really slow and swingy, so outbombing your opponent means playing all your bombs.

Black/Green are pretty much horrible.

using every myr that produced mana that I had to play a genesis wave for x=6 and and flipping a hoardsmelter onto the board was a very good thing

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I haven't been impressed with most of the Planeswalkers in EDH. Sorin is the only one that is amazingly good everytime you get him, after him I'd give the nod to Liliana just because Tutor effects are always amazing. After that the dropoff is pretty huge. Jace is not very good in multiplayer at all, if you can abuse his unsummon with your own powerful 187 creatures he gains decent value. Venser is very good in the right deck. Blinking Gilded drake is awesome. Sarkhan Vol has been decently good as well, reusuable creature stealing has proven to be very powerful.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How is guaranteed decking of someone not a good thing?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I always feel very clever when I find ways to kill my own dudes for advantage. At my last tournament, my trigon of corruption killed more of my own perilous myrs than my opponents creatures. It also killed a copper myr of mine, making me lose metalcraft so an arrest fell off my rusted relic (I then played a snapsail glider and attacked).

I'm not sure these were the right plays. But they were by far the most satisfying.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I always feel very clever when I find ways to kill my own dudes for advantage. At my last tournament, my trigon of corruption killed more of my own perilous myrs than my opponents creatures. It also killed a copper myr of mine, making me lose metalcraft so an arrest fell off my rusted relic (I then played a snapsail glider and attacked).

I'm not sure these were the right plays. But they were by far the most satisfying.

I played Flesh Allergy with Molder Beast on the board.
    Sac my Perilous Myr, shoot his perilous myr.
    His perilous myr shoots my ichor claw myr

Molder beast swings for 13
    Add the 4 damage from Flesh Allergy=17

B.C. on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I think that one of the hardest thing for new people to learn is that sometimes removal is better served on your own guys. I sac my guys all the time, hell sometimes I try to goad my opponent into killing them for me.

And those are some nice plays, particularly the copper myr one.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    ShortForeskinShortForeskin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    are there more cards similar to Lust For War? I have an Aetherplasm deck that i think is a great idea, but isn't interactive enough with other decks. In it's currently build (mono-blue) it just sits around waiting to be attacked. I'd like to be able to force my opponent into attacking me so I can drop in Progenitus and the like with tricky Aetherplasms.

ShortForeskin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's mainly a red ability. Lots of red cards can do it. And Alluring Siren too.

One thing I really hate about this sealed format is infect. It's meant to be one of the flagship mechanics of the set but people almost never open enough of them to go all in with it and, with a few exceptions the cards are unplayable outside of their archetype.

Starcross on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Infect is awful and makes the limited format awful. There is no overlap, as no non-infect decks want any of the infect cards with a small few exceptions (necropede and equipment). In draft, if you open hand or putrefax, youre either going to win the draft if youre the only infect drafter, or just get fucked if there's 3+. Pretty much a random lottery IMO.

I guess it isn't that different from getting cut from a color, but you could at least salvage getting cut off a color, whereas getting cut from infect all your cards go into the unplayable pile.

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Untamed Might is a problem too. Commons should not be that capable of just winning a game out of fucking nowhere like that.

Starcross on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I agree, and it might be less bad if untamed might was an uncommon.

I mean as an example of "winning the lottery", take the PTQ I went to this weekend. My buddy I drove down with managed to top 8 with a bad pool, and drafted nearly mono white aggressive metalcraft in the top 8. He made it to the finals, where he played the only infect drafter - contagion engine and masticore for opens, was passed hand and putrefax. 2+ cystbearer, plague stinger, blight mamba. untamed might, corpse cur, etc etc etc.

Granted the guy opened masticore and engine so any deck he drafted is probably going to end up insane, but drafting shouldnt be as simple as "take any guy with the word infect on it", especially when youre the only one that wants them.

JeffH on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    JeffH wrote: »
    I agree, and it might be less bad if untamed might was an uncommon.

I mean as an example of "winning the lottery", take the PTQ I went to this weekend. My buddy I drove down with managed to top 8 with a bad pool, and drafted nearly mono white aggressive metalcraft in the top 8. He made it to the finals, where he played the only infect drafter - contagion engine and masticore for opens, was passed hand and putrefax. 2+ cystbearer, plague stinger, blight mamba. untamed might, corpse cur, etc etc etc.

Granted the guy opened masticore and engine so any deck he drafted is probably going to end up insane, but drafting shouldnt be as simple as "take any guy with the word infect on it", especially when youre the only one that wants them.

I agree with all of the above.

And as a random aside - Tom Martell's Infect hate is hilarious, which is apparently why he hasn't been doing draft videos on Channel Fireball. But every day, his twitter is just chock full of FUCK INFECT and Aaron Forsythe (magic R&D) making fun of him.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The article from the designer that put the infect in the set, on how he's been trying to get poison back in magic for years, is depressing. Based on the article alone I hope they fire him, he's a terrible magic player.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The article from the designer that put the infect in the set, on how he's been trying to get poison back in magic for years, is depressing. Based on the article alone I hope they fire him, he's a terrible magic player.

You mean the guy who's responsible for like... all of Magic? You...you want him to fire himself?

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    metaghost wrote: »

You mean the guy who's responsible for like... all of Magic? You...you want him to fire himself?

He created a mechanic that is 100% better than Wither, and also does double damage to opponents in a way that cannot be offset by lifegain.

He should at least admit it was a huge mistake.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »

He created a mechanic that is 100% better than Wither, and also does double damage to opponents in a way that cannot be offset by lifegain.

He should at least admit it was a huge mistake.

It's not better than wither. Creatures with wither aren't unplayable outwith a dedicated wither deck.

Starcross on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't actually dislike infect, when it comes to constructed.

Tarantio on
This discussion has been closed.