As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tournament Wishlists

eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited February 2006 in PAX Archive
Simple question for everyone, but what games would you like to see tournaments for this year? Whether its a returning tournament you want to see again, or something new, feel free to throw out the suggestions...

As for myself Id like to see....

Tabletop:
Pirates of the Spanish Main
Carcassonne(With or without expansions, takes less time without though)

Console:
Mario Kart Double Dash
Dead or Alive 4
Geometry Wars

Although Geometry Wars is not a multiplayer game, one could still do a tournament for it in multiple ways... Easiest and in my opinion least interesting way would be to just have everyone play 2 or 3 games each and using their best game the person with the highest score wins... Alternatively, you could actually split it down into 1 on 1s where you take turns playing your 2 or 3 games(With some kind of reasonable time limit, for those kicking alot of ass) and the person whose best score is higher moves on. I prefer the latter because it would include some form of direct competition.

(She/Her)
eelektrik on

• Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Tabletop
    PA CCG
    Warmachine

Console (formerly Tabletop)
    MK DD
    Guitar Hero
    Karaoke Revolution

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Tabletop
    PA CCG
    Warmachine

Tabletop
    MK DD
    Guitar Hero
    Karaoke Revolution

I'd love to try Tabletop Guitar Hero... ;)

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    wow i totally fail....C&P FTL

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2006
    I'll cast my vote for Pirates and Double Dash too. My friend could've won the Mario Kart tourny last year had he not had me riding in the backseat. As it was he took fifth, but he deserves a second shot. I'd almost sign up for a Guitar Hero tournament, but I've never actually played it (it looks like a ridiculous amount of fun though).

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    There's a lot of great new games that could have tournies, but i'd love to see at least 1-2 old school game tournies. I know the turnout would be questionable for most people because it's not new and awe inspiring, but it could be a neat change.

That being said, i'd love to see Smash Bros Melee (all items enabled, only a few stages disabled like ice mountain) make an appearance again. Mario Kart DD only seems proper to keep in the tournament list from last year as well. Guitar Hero could be really really cool (though I haven't played it) and most people seem to have a blast with the game so it's a winner all around. I'd love to see Street Fighter 3: Third Strike or Capcom vs SNK 2 there as well to back up the 2D fighter status at PAX, or maybe even a Power Stone 2 tourney. :D

For old school, i'd love to see a head to head Tetris tourney, especially if that 10 player DS version comes out before PAX, or maybe a Dr. Mario head to head. Super Mario Kart for SNES battle mode tourney would attract a bunch of nostalgic people who used to love it as well.

It's a little different, but i'd LOVE to see a booster draft tournament for Magic: The Gathering in the tabletop rooms. Maybe something fun like 6 boosters from 6 different sets for each player and instead of head to head format it's a multiplayer format in 4 player matches or something similar. Jazzes up the matches a little, and allows new players to have a decent chance. :)

I'm sure the organizers will do decently well though. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I'd be up for a Magic Booster draft. Sounds like fun!

I mean, I'd lose terribly by picking cards and going 'hey, that's neat!' instead of going for a deck that works, but that's fine with me!

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2006
    mario kart ds and pgr3

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    El WhitoEl Whito Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I want to see Mario Kart DS and some kin of TOny Hawk game. Mainly because they're the only games I have any kind of skill in.

El Whito on
    Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Andwarf wrote:
    I'd be up for a Magic Booster draft. Sounds like fun!

I mean, I'd lose terribly by picking cards and going 'hey, that's neat!' instead of going for a deck that works, but that's fine with me!

Yeah, Booster drafts were always my favorite type of Magic tournament, I dont even play Magic anymore and Id be up for a booster draft... I was asking for one last year, but no luck...

Im not sure if it would work or not, with so few cards in the packs and not always the same number of cards, but would a Pirates booster draft be possible? Ive never seen anyone mention doing them before so I dont know if its even been attempted...

And I still think Double Dash is better then Mario Kart DS simply because the co-op gameplay is still fucking genius...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    eelektrik wrote:
    And I still think Double Dash is better then Mario Kart DS simply because the co-op gameplay is still fucking genius...

Yes...but has anyone tried Eight player team mode?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2006
    they fucked up the blue shell in DS big time

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    As for consoles, I'd keep SSBM and MK DD and consider adding DDR. I'm sure they have DDR tournaments, but I have never seen any myself.

As for tabletop, I'd be down for a MTG booster draft as well. And that is about all I go for in terms of tabletop. Or if the rules were less restraining on which cards and sets we could use (like if we could pretty much use any cards that we have, despite the age), I bet the MTG tournament would become more popular.
    eelektrik wrote:
    Console:
    Mario Kart Double Dash

Heh heh heh....you want some more, eh?

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Definately feeling Pirates, maybe a Magic draft, of COURSE the PA CCG. I am a lover of all things Carcassonne, so thats a go. If it didn't take so long to play, I'd suggest RoboRally, since PAX seems like the perfect place to find people to play it.

As for consoles, the standard Double Dash/SSBM tournament is in order. But there should be whole sections specifically for wi-fi portable tournaments: Hot Shots Golf for the PSP and DS Mario Kart, for instance. The only difficulty with those is that it's difficult, if not impossible, for a crowd to see what's going on, which kind of defeats the purpose of a PAX-level tournament.

Now, I can't say much about using the following for tournaments, but they most definately need to be present with the maximum number of controllers/input devices: Guitar Hero, Karaoke Revolution, Donkey Konga, and maybe DDR. A whole console music room.

Borfase, how did they mess up the DS blue shell?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Just to further clarify what I was thinking for the magic booster draft, It would be really neat possibly to have (as mentioned) 5-6 different packs per player, and that many different sets perhaps. Maybe the first sets of the past 6 blocks if they can be located, so Ravnica, Champions of Kamigawa, Mirrodin, Onslaught, Odyssey, and Invasion which would prevent a lot of doubles from being in play (ie. much more random). Barring that, then maybe a mix and match of the last 3-4 blocks.

The only issue that i'd have with the booster draft is the cost. Who would pay for the boxes if it was done unofficially? What if there's 5-6 boxes and MORE than 36 people in the booster draft (which could easily happen) having more players than boosters per box? What would the prize be?

I'm thinking of an unofficial booster draft incase they don't have one in the tournament list itself. Also, i'd take part. :)

Polago on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Metroid Prime Hunters and Tetris DS should be No-Brainers as well.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:
    eelektrik wrote:
    Console:
    Mario Kart Double Dash

Heh heh heh....you want some more, eh?

Your god damned right I want some more...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    skitchskitch Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    PolaGo wrote:
    maybe even a Power Stone 2 tourney. :D

hahahaha yes! that would rule.

skitch on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    HUNGRY
    HUNGRY
    HIPPOS!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    twispbytwispby Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Super Smash Bros. Melee with the same rules as last year. I thought it was a pretty good setup. Wouldn't mind entering the Double Dash this year. Looked like all sorts of crazy fun. And I don't think Mario Kart DS needs an actual tourny when there will probably be so many people playing it all the time anyways... hopefully.

twispby on
    twispby.png
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    I'd like to make a serious suggestion for PC Tournaments, which seems to not have been discussed yet in general.

I suggest a very special custom map for Warcraft 3, specifically, one of the most popular (if the most popular) custom map for the frozen throne expansion:

Defense Of The Ancients - Allstars!

Official Site:
    http://dota-allstars.com/index.php
    DotA stands for “Defense of the Ancients”, it's a free mod for Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. The purpose of the game is to defend your Ancient and try to destroy the opponents Ancient. The ancients are located deep in both bases, which are located at the top right and bottom left corners of the map. There are over 70 heroes that differ greatly in play style. Each of these heroes have been carefully designed so they are both balanced and unique. The map is updated frequently, sometimes to add new heroes, fix bugs or to make a balance update. The strategies possible with DotA are pretty much endless, choosing the wrong item and hero combination can mean the difference between a win and a loss for your team. The gameplay in DotA Allstars can be classified as relatively fast because as the game progresses any small mistake you make can be fatal to the overall team.

I already have many people on another forum I frequently visit who are very interesting in playing and competing in a dota tournament.

How does everyone else feel about this particular game/map becoming a tournament at PAX?

Anything else W3, or any other PC games in general people would like to compete/play at PAX?

Question:
    Are there going to be PCs provided for freeplay and Tourney use like last year? Or will all PC gaming/tourneys be only available for those who partipate in BYOC?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    I personally would be much more interested in a Defense of the Ancients tournament over Standard Warcraft 3... Ive just never been a big fan of the typical RTS forumla in a multiplayer format(I generally play RTSs for their single player campaigns), None of them have appealed to me, so I go for the different styles of gameplay maps like DotA, or not play Multiplayer at all.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Oh totally agreed, I should re-phrase my post!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Soul Calibur 3 has my vote on this one.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Definitely Guitar Hero- though I know I'd get raped. May as well have some Karaoke Revolution as well. Then the classics, 8 man Halo2, Splinter Cell, Phantom Dust, Smash Bros, Mario Kart DD. I'd fare pretty damn well at all of those.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Someone sugguested a DOTA tourney in the enforcer forums and it was mostly shot down due to me :P

I play dota regularly so Im in a good position to shoot this one down. A smallish to decent sized dota tournament would take a long time to play.
    The average game lasts 1-2 hours. Considering PAX is time limited and there are other tournaments to get done during the day, the freeplay machines cant be dedicated to just one game tournament for that day.[/list]

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Someone sugguested a DOTA tourney in the enforcer forums and it was mostly shot down due to me :P

I play dota regularly so Im in a good position to shoot this one down. A smallish to decent sized dota tournament would take a long time to play.
    The average game lasts 1-2 hours. Considering PAX is time limited and there are other tournaments to get done during the day, the freeplay machines cant be dedicated to just one game tournament for that day.

BigRed on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited January 2006
    We are definitely interested in what tournaments you guys want to participate in for the byoc area. If there's any other ideas, please fire away.

This would be a good time to speak up and have your suggestions heard, but DOTA is a tough one.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    I would love to see a DotA tourney somewhere (other than lameass cpl) but it would just take way too long for a time limited event.

However if one would want to have an un-official DotA tourney amongst the BYOC people id be willing to help with the brackets and recording of that. Mostly because I play the game a lot, I wouldnt be able to participate in it though :P I dont have that much free time at PAX.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Hmmm, valid point.

I would suggest however, a -dm modified tourney (possibly with ar?). This would significantly shorten gametime due to hero pool drying up with every death. I dont think ar dm is a good pick however, because then you have to stick with generic item builds. However, vanilla -dm would be a great gameplay modifier for tourney play, because you have to pick counter heros to the enemy team, and strategize what kind of attrb heroes you will be going with among your teammates.

Average dm game would be roughly an hour? who knows, maybe even quicker among seasoned dota vets.

Edit: Come to think of it, even if it was a 3-tier game consisting of 8 teams, that still would be 3 hours. Guess that would be quite difficult to chain off the PC freeplay room for such a long period of time. I guess it would only work unofficially in byoc, or if it would be in the wee hours of the morning when there would be less people around (and I believe as it currently stands, the MC will not be open to general conventioners at these times?).

Ah well, maybe we can do something unconventionally in byoc when the times comes :wink:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Motherfucking Warhammer 40k!

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    EskoEsko Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I'd love to see just a general Xbox LIVE Arcade tourney...go through different arcade titles....that would be a blast...

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Xerion wrote:
    Hmmm, valid point.

I would suggest however, a -dm modified tourney (possibly with ar?). This would significantly shorten gametime due to hero pool drying up with every death. I dont think ar dm is a good pick however, because then you have to stick with generic item builds. However, vanilla -dm would be a great gameplay modifier for tourney play, because you have to pick counter heros to the enemy team, and strategize what kind of attrb heroes you will be going with among your teammates.

Average dm game would be roughly an hour? who knows, maybe even quicker among seasoned dota vets.

Edit: Come to think of it, even if it was a 3-tier game consisting of 8 teams, that still would be 3 hours. Guess that would be quite difficult to chain off the PC freeplay room for such a long period of time. I guess it would only work unofficially in byoc, or if it would be in the wee hours of the morning when there would be less people around (and I believe as it currently stands, the MC will not be open to general conventioners at these times?).

Ah well, maybe we can do something unconventionally in byoc when the times comes :wink:

I personally hate -dm, for toruney play -sm should be used and maybe -ar to shorten things a bit. -dm changes the game too much so its not like dota anymore.

I could assist in an unofficial tourney if one is formed (aka enough intrest).

Message me on aim if you would like to discuss.
    BigRedOvrclkr

BigRed on
  • Options
    OMGmyFACEOMGmyFACE Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Guitar Hero? Nah. Gitaroo-Man.

OMGmyFACE on
    No.

style5,OMGmyFACE.png
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2006
    push push, pushpushpusssssh

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    OMGmyFACE wrote:
    Guitar Hero? Nah. Gitaroo-Man.

Why's it have to be one or the other? :P

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    cosmonautcosmonaut Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Yes!

Guitar Hero, Gitaroo Man, and KaraRevolution.

cosmonaut on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    cosmonaut wrote:
    Yes!

Maybe with some background Dance Dancing?

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    cosmonautcosmonaut Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:
    cosmonaut wrote:
    Yes!

Maybe with some background Dance Dancing?

I'm a terrible Dance Dancer. Well, on a pad anyway. Maybe if there were poles... Kidding aside, DDR would indeed be amusing to watch.

cosmonaut on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    We need a competitive boyband concert night

Karaoke Revolution up front, backed by Guitar Heros and a line of dance-dancers.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Well, that may be a good idea in theory, but one thing about DDR is that it is hard to play a song on mute or when another song is playing because it is harder to get the right beat. I can only assume Guitar Hero is the same in that sense. So unless there are several songs which can be played across all three games, that might look silly.

QuizMaster on