As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Alright guys I'm going to put together a list here with as many people as I can see that I don't know have not been invited to the League of Arcadians. If I miss your name, PLEASE quote this post and add your name with a RED coloring.

ALSO! Everyone who is already in the League I'd appreciate it if you would add your names to a different part of said post, that I will create at the bottom. So that we know who is who, and such.

PAers Currently Not In League as far as I know:

TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    Foefaller - Grey Knight & Ignatia & others yet to be determined
    Bad Karma - Red Rooster (rerolled, thanks)(Rerolled to what?) Still Red Rooster, just deleted the original and made a new one, won't be a habit.
    Hypertime - Hypertime I'm a nooooooooooooooooob
    PikaPuff - Wincest
    Morvidus - Morvidus

I abandoned my 2H Ice Giant, Ymir, in favor of my hand blasting sorcerer, Morvidus.

I got a invite removed my name.

If you want a invite I'll be jumpin on shortly. I have a temptation to make a fire/bow character though and I don't know if I can refuse it

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From the beta, because I was digging through my DCUO beta picture troves: Countess Carlotta
    rszpowergirldowned.jpg

"If you scream for help, Superman might come in time to save you."

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I finally caved and got this. It's about halfway downloaded currently.

How do I enlist with y'all? This is going to be my first MMO. Everyone is on Death and Glory and Darkness Falls?

ffaristocrat on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

How do I enlist with y'all? This is going to be my first MMO. Everyone is on Death and Glory and Darkness Falls?

Yup, Heroes on Death and Glory, Villians on Darkness Falls.

Note that D&G is a PvP server, and there are no safe areas, other than the places unique to heroes/villians.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And even the safety of those is questionable given that the outside can be effectively camped D:

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems like doing the Ring War event, it's just a bunch of villain leagues camping the area. Had to quit because it was like repeatedly walking into a wall.

Need to come up with something better at the higher levels, it seems like a gadget/flying/dual pistols player can't really compete with all these fire and ice staff or two handed players out there.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Everyone who chooses a body type is the same proportions, yes. They actually have a sound reasoning with this, because the various costume styles in the creator, and then those unlocked in the game itself are actually ON your model rather then some kind of fancy texture, it would... well, they'd need to make everything fit on all possible combinations of proportions if they had sliders.

CO and STO have very extensive slider options, with seamless costume scaling. CoX has had sliders and on-model costume pieces for 7 years.

It's not "geometry-altering costume pieces have to be hand-scaled for each size", but rather "geometry-altering costume pieces have to be hand-scaled for our game because UE3 isn't made for this kind of shit."

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

Yup, Heroes on Death and Glory, Villians on Darkness Falls.

Note that D&G is a PvP server, and there are no safe areas, other than the places unique to heroes/villians.

I, for one, have both my hero and villain on Darkness Falls at the moment, since I don't want to be ganked. If you want to group up sometime, I'd be happy to do so.

My hero is Admiral Heat
    My villain is Magdelene

By the way, guys, if you haven't already, turn off V-Sync. It's night and day.

Ceno on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I just listened to the GiantBombcast where Jeff kinda rants about DCUO.

I love those guys, but they really hate MMOs.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Everyone who chooses a body type is the same proportions, yes. They actually have a sound reasoning with this, because the various costume styles in the creator, and then those unlocked in the game itself are actually ON your model rather then some kind of fancy texture, it would... well, they'd need to make everything fit on all possible combinations of proportions if they had sliders.

CO and STO have very extensive slider options, with seamless costume scaling. CoX has had sliders and on-model costume pieces for 7 years.

It's not "geometry-altering costume pieces have to be hand-scaled for each size", but rather "geometry-altering costume pieces have to be hand-scaled for our game because UE3 isn't made for this kind of shit."

Isn't that technically saying the same thing? The engine simply isn't built to allow it without some hardcore work. Whereas City of Heroes/Villains... well it's more simply. Is it cool? Definitely, I made some awesome characters in that game but the thing is showing its age.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Grouped with a guy today who had 42 skill points....wow. I've been lvl 30 for a while now and still only have 30.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    JackravenJackraven Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Wanted to stop by and say hello, Started a Hero on Darkness falls looking to join up with some folks

Hero's name is Tragula

Jackraven on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Grouped with a guy today who had 42 skill points....wow. I've been lvl 30 for a while now and still only have 30.

What the hell would you even spend that many on?

Is there even a fast-switching option to switch out weapons, so you can use other skillsets?

Archonex on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I'm guessing there is no gear-matching when it comes to Level 30 Arena PvP queues...

Leveling up I won nearly every single Legends and Arena I entered, felt like I was doing pretty well. I just did two Level 30 Arenas and me and my team were UTTERLY DESTROYED. It was a bloodbath. On 5v5 Moonbase the score was 0-100, we did not manage a single kill. Me and two other heroes got a villain alone and it was a whirlwind of pain as he annihilated all three of us, I can't even imagine the phatty phatty lewts he must be using to take out 30% of my health bat in one hit.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

What the hell would you even spend that many on?

Is there even a fast-switching option to switch out weapons, so you can use other skillsets?

You get the benefit of passive skill buffs regardless of what weapon you are currently using. You want as many skillpoints as possible to get as many passive skill buffs as possible from as many weapon trees as possible.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    So I'm guessing there is no gear-matching when it comes to Level 30 Arena PvP queues...

Leveling up I won nearly every single Legends and Arena I entered, felt like I was doing pretty well. I just did two Level 30 Arenas and me and my team were UTTERLY DESTROYED. It was a bloodbath. On 5v5 Moonbase the score was 0-100, we did not manage a single kill. Me and two other heroes got a villain alone and it was a whirlwind of pain as he annihilated all three of us, I can't even imagine the phatty phatty lewts he must be using to take out 30% of my health bat in one hit.

Keep in mind that there's a rather nasty damage exploit floating around currently.

If a person has gadgets style stealth, or flight, they can abuse a bug to do upwards of 800 damage per hit. Most of the heavy finishers only do that much on their final combo.

The first bug involves toggling yourself into perma stealth (At the cost of your speed.), giving you access to all the stealth abilities permanently while in combat, and the other one I don't know enough to know how to counter it, unfortunately.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright guys I'm going to put together a list here with as many people as I can see that I don't know have not been invited to the League of Arcadians. If I miss your name, PLEASE quote this post and add your name with a RED coloring.

ALSO! Everyone who is already in the League I'd appreciate it if you would add your names to a different part of said post, that I will create at the bottom. So that we know who is who, and such.

TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    Bad Karma - Red Rooster (rerolled, thanks)(Rerolled to what?) Still Red Rooster, just deleted the original and made a new one, won't be a habit.
    PikaPuff - Wincest
    Morvidus - Morvidus
    FFAristocrat - Polly Tico

ffaristocrat on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap, the final fight in Arkham Asylum hardmode is a bitch and a half.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    RaveRave Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    PikaPuff - Wincest
    Morvidus - Morvidus
    FFAristocrat - Polly Tico
    Rave - Rave7215

Just hit 30 on my Mental/Hand Blast/Hero Char Rave7215 on Death and Glory, looking forward to doing some Duos and Hard mode groups. Anyone on that can send an invite?

Rave on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maguano wrote: »
    Arthil- dumb question, but you have done the basics, like updating video drivers etc?

on an unrelated note, does anyone on the PC using a controller have an issue where the camera gets all out of whack? The past couple times i've been playing my toon gets shifted to the left side of the screen and its a bitch and a half to move since the camera is still centered in the screen, but the toon isn't.

Yes I've updated both the video and sound drivers. Only thing I've not tried is reformatting, or defragging the machine.

Well actually I've not tried turning off my firewall/anti-virus.

Or turning down the resolution... but fuck I don't want to have to do that, I got a nice 1920x1080 HD monitor here.

What is your Vsync setting? I have a G15 keyboard, and I use the LCD display to show me CPU and GPU loads, volts and temps (via Everest/AIDA64). When I turn Vsync off in DCUO, my GPU goes to 100% usage, and the GPU temps jump up to nearly 90c. It's loading up so heavy I can hear the VRMs/cap squeal on the card, over the fan noise.

TLDR; Turn Vsync ON for a whole lot less stress on your video card.

Croak on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Isn't that technically saying the same thing? The engine simply isn't built to allow it without some hardcore work. Whereas City of Heroes/Villains... well it's more simply. Is it cool? Definitely, I made some awesome characters in that game but the thing is showing its age.

I'm not saying they don't have a valid reason. I'm saying the reason they gave was a cop-out. And yeah, CoX is a bit aged in the graphics department, but CO's character graphics are just a pretty as DCUOs, and it's got about 15 different sliders that affect costume pieces.
    also CO is scheduled to go F2P on Tuesday. check it out!

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I completely forgot about CO going free. I had such high hopes for that game, until I saw it in action.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Champions online was heaps fun if you got superjump and spammed the FUCK out of it.

I'm hoping this game packs a punch, i want to feel like a am the bomb even if i'm not.

hadoken on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I just perused the area showing what Video Cards are supported for the game, and I couldn't help but notice that the GeForce GTS 240 isn't supported, none of the GTS line in fact.

Think I found why I might be crashing... :(

Just because maybe someone can tell me if that isn't the problem or not.
    I use a gts 250 and have never crashed

Somehow this makes me feel worse :(...

What on earth could the problem be? It's not only MMOs I'll admit too, Just Cause 2 did worse than just crash and actually caused me to BSOD. Fallout: New Vegas tends to crash on me as well. On the other hand Metro 2033 never crashed, neither with Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

LOTRO crashed, this game crashed, WoW didn't... Aion didn't when I was in the beta. Champions Online didn't, Dragon Age/ Mass Effect 2 doesn't.

I'm just so confused :(

Not like my RAM/CPU is lacking either, I'm packing a Intel Core2 Quad Processor @ 2.66GHz and have 6 Gigs of memory in this thing.

I had the exact same problem a few months ago. Some games would run smooth, some would crash after a seemingly random amount of time.

Blew everything out - no help.
    Tried a new video card - no help.
    Replaced my RAM - fixed the problem, and no issues since.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I ended up rolling a hero on Zero Hour as I am more interested in the PVE part of the game than I am with getting ganked. But I do admit it is weird playing a hero and seeing a group of villian beating on Black Canary and Green Arrow and I cant do a thing other than make sure they dont get back up again after falling.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So does the Xbox controller have a good setup in the PC version of this game? It sounds like DCUO really benefits from a controller vs. KBAM.

Very, very good. Keyboard and mouse is best, but I'm at least 80% as proficient at this point with the controller. The 20% is really shifting between blocking, normal attacks and powers. It's easier for me to balance those actions on a keyboard while maintaining a target lock than shifting my fingers around the controller triggers. Could just be muscle memory at this point.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Silly Question here:

Is there a way to "inspect" other people and see what they are wearing and what powers they have?

Also:

How is Illusions for pvp? Would seem like fun being illusionary ally to someone, then POP out and whoop thier butt

FlipprDolphin on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I was gonna queue for the Legend PVP or whatever its called last night. I hit level 5 and unlocked Robin and thought I'd give it a try. Estimated queue time was 61 minutes. Holy shit.

Does that mean there's some sort of mega population imbalance on my server? I'm playing hero and I'm wondering, with a 61 minute queue if perhaps there just aren't many villains around...

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Galf0rgheedGalf0rgheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It seems like doing the Ring War event, it's just a bunch of villain leagues camping the area. Had to quit because it was like repeatedly walking into a wall.

Need to come up with something better at the higher levels, it seems like a gadget/flying/dual pistols player can't really compete with all these fire and ice staff or two handed players out there.

levelling a villain on that same server I can just say "sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."

Galf0rgheed on
    GlobalAgenda: DeadDave
    RL: AliveDave...or just Dave
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I ended up rolling a hero on Zero Hour as I am more interested in the PVE part of the game than I am with getting ganked. But I do admit it is weird playing a hero and seeing a group of villian beating on Black Canary and Green Arrow and I cant do a thing other than make sure they dont get back up again after falling.
    I'd think a solution would be to have open PVP zones combined with villain- and hero-only zones. Purely open PvP servers tend to degenerate into utter douchebaggery over time, sadly.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't find ganking to be a huge problem. Sure it sucks a lot but since you start with a travel power it doesn't really take very long to get any where.

I can't play this game though because my wireless connection decided to get all shitty for no fucking reason after being good for the last month.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »
    This game is even more fun than I thought it would be!

BEAST! and I are playing Villains on No Man's Land if anyone wants to join us there. I made an ice villain named Snowpocalypse.

More people need to come play with us on the PS3!
    Indeed!!! Snowpocalypse and Dirt Carcass need your villainous help!!!!!!

I'm on the PS3 now, but on The Killing Joke; I'll look you guys up tonight. Got a league going yet?

Koldanar on
    3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey there!

I picked this up and started playing on D&G (Hero) yesterday. I have several questions:

1): Is there a site that is "the site" for info on character builds, etc.?

2): Is there a particular weapon someone going for Nature/healing should start with?

3): How do I know if I'm in healer/dps/tank mode for intances? (I am only levle 9 so perhaps it isn't even a factor yet?)

4): I do plan to join the guild, but classes start this week so i probably won't be on until the end of the week.

Marlowe on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Call me stupid, but I've just given up on the more complicated rifle combos and switched to dual guns.
    Oh, and I didn't know you could shoot them in different directions at a time, it looks badass.

The combo directions for rifle are poorly described.

Rifle is easy if you hold RMB down and simply use the Forward and Back buttons to activate the combos. I got that advise from another player, and it works beautifully. I was about to give up on Rifle, otherwise. And Rifle is too sweet to give up.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Marlowe wrote: »
    Hey there!

I picked this up and started playing on D&G (Hero) yesterday. I have several questions:

2): Is there a particular weapon someone going for Nature/healing should start with?

3): How do I know if I'm in healer/dps/tank mode for intances? (I am only levle 9 so perhaps it isn't even a factor yet?)

4): I do plan to join the guild, but classes start this week so i probably won't be on until the end of the week.

When you hit 10 you unlock your alternate stance, which is specifically labeled tank, controller, or healer.

Ceno on
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey there!

1: I haven't really found any yet. Game is still new, it will come. Respec costs aren't bad though

2: Hand Blast would probably be good. There's a post on the main DCUO forums about what passive stats you get from each. I'll try and find it and post it.

3: there's a little symbol next to your health bad. Shield is tank, fire is DPS, not sure about the other 2.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Croak wrote: »
    What is your Vsync setting? I have a G15 keyboard, and I use the LCD display to show me CPU and GPU loads, volts and temps (via Everest/AIDA64). When I turn Vsync off in DCUO, my GPU goes to 100% usage, and the GPU temps jump up to nearly 90c. It's loading up so heavy I can hear the VRMs/cap squeal on the card, over the fan noise.

TLDR; Turn Vsync ON for a whole lot less stress on your video card.

No, turning my VSync off+playing in windowed mode was the only thing that allowed me to experience a play session of any worth before experiencing a crash. Your problem seems quite different from mine.
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem a few months ago. Some games would run smooth, some would crash after a seemingly random amount of time.

Blew everything out - no help.
    Tried a new video card - no help.
    Replaced my RAM - fixed the problem, and no issues since.

This however sounds like it may be my issue. We had a technician sent over to look over the machine at one point, and according to them, the problem was our Motherboard. Whelp, here's the fucking things acting up again.

One problem though, I can't touch the inside of this machine. I can't just go out and snag some shiny new RAM, since it would void the warranty.

Arthil on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey there!

1: I haven't really found any yet. Game is still new, it will come. Respec costs aren't bad though

2: Hand Blast would probably be good. There's a post on the main DCUO forums about what passive stats you get from each. I'll try and find it and post it.

3: there's a little symbol next to your health bad. Shield is tank, fire is DPS, not sure about the other 2.

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?topic_id=9793 has a post about what each weapon gives you, passive wise.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So did a couple duos tonight Thelon(sp? I suck at names). We did fine doing Grodd which was the daily. I was controller he was in healer. It was basically me tanking and feeding power to him as he kept me up as I chained my combos. The only boss that was close I would say was the first boss since he is cc immune. As are a couple of the normal gorillas. In general not that bad, felt pretty balanced for our damage to skills and healing. So we figure lets do another.

We start the Hive one. About 50% of the mobs are cc immune or cc only works about 10% of the time which basically turns me into a damage/power source and nothing else. We beat the first boss and a few big rooms but it was tough. Get to booster gold, ugh that fight since pretty much all of them are immune to cc but neural neutralizer which is a huge warm up and they stun made those fights a pain. 3 tries we finally get him down. So down to the queen. Once again a major boss with lots of adds. Ugh so not that great. First try at one point I went from half to dead so fast that he couldn't get a heal on me. Second try we got lucky and she only spawned the foragers which don't ground, stun, and spin with a knock down.

Basically want them to make controllers useful, but I got a great helm!

I did the Hive one yesterday (my first duo) on my mental controller, with a fire/martial arts partner, and didn't have too much trouble. It took two attempts to down Booster though. It's a drawn out fight, and the knockback from those Brainiac drones made it hard to throw in many Mass Levitations when a new group of bad guys spawned.

I didn't really have much problem with CC immunities (no more than with a normal mission instance, anyway). My biggest issue was just that my character is really squishy and has no heal, so it doesn't take much attrition to knock me out.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    oblivi0noblivi0n Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Question: has anyone playing on the PS3 been able to use voice chat? Unless setting it up involves black magic , I've been wanting to use it but it seems completely non-functional for groups. Searching the net seems to indicate that there are problems with voice chat. But there's not a lot of information on what under what circumstances it doesn't work.

Kinda disappointing as I bought a PS3 headset specifically for this (and yes the headset works). (Completely unrelated to DCUO, I was surprised to find out that PS3 has no party system a la Xbox Live.)

Other than this, I've been really digging DCUO.

oblivi0n on
    oblivi0n.gif
This discussion has been closed.