As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I ask her out?

tehnewusernametehnewusername Registered User new member
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
let me give you some back story on me real fast.

i'm 19. i have had absolutely no experience with girls. recently i lost fifty pounds and gained ten back in muscle, so hopefully that changes. we'll see.

anyway, enter the girl i like, erica. we met through a mutual friend about a year and a half ago. we've only seen each other a handful of times, and then our primary method of contact was through Facebook (she moved for a while). we have become pretty good friends.

she is back in town and going to my university for this semester. i haven't seen her yet and we haven't made plans. the way we were before she left wasn't really one on one hanging out, it was more of a group type thing.

anyway, i've really started to like her more and more over the last few months. i want to ask her out, but i'm worried about ruining our friendship (she's really shy and doesn't react well to awkwardness). i have no clue as to whether she likes me or not (i've been terrible at reading signs in the past). i have a one major concern, however.

we are seemingly exact opposites. i'm 6'4, she's 4'11. i'm extremely liberal, she's extremely conservative. i'm agnostic, she's religious. now, normally i'd say to hell with all that, but some recent insight into her views have made me reconsider.

for example, one of her friends made a post saying how she would never let religion interfere with marriage. she wouldn't push it on her mate, and she would expect the same back. in response, erica posted:
2 Corinthians 6:14: Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

so should i not even go for it? i mean, i had no idea she thought this way before a few days ago. it has kind of deflated any confidence i had.

tehnewusername on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go for it. If it doesn't work, thats a shame, but you really shouldn't judge someone by what they wrote on facebook.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ask. She'll probably say no, but it will give you a definitive answer either way.

Or, you can do what typical teenage boys do and never ask, prolonging the inevitable in the hopes that someday, she will magically become everything you want her to be and realize that you are everything she wants, and you will live a magical life together forever.

I recommend Door #1.

In all seriousness, there are plenty of fish in the sea. Don't limit yourself to pining over one person and whether or not things will work out in some far-imagined potential universe. Ask her out. If she says yes, then great, start a relationship and see what happens. If she says no, then by all means remain friends and move on with your life. You are your own person, and you have something to offer someone, so don't spend all your time waiting for something to happen when you can go out there and make something happen.

PS - Badass job on losing the weight, buddy. Don't sell yourself short. See what's out there.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I knew a girl like that once. She was the first girl I ever asked out. Which is great, because she said no, and I was able to get over that whole "oh no what if she says no and it ruins our friendship" stumbling block that every teenage boy trips on.

Except I was 22.

Don't wait another three years, dude.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone being a psycho bitch is a great reason to not ask someone out, someone having different views than you is a terrible reason to not ask someone out.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As folks above have said you could just go for it and not worry about it.

I'll throw my hat on the other side as someone who once dated a fairly religious girl during my atheistic days and it did not end terribly well. As much as you think you can avoid it religion is a huge part of a religious person's life (the biggest if you go by The Book~) and it will cause friction. The girl I dated wasn't even to the point of throwing out isolationist bible quotes and it still crashed and burned.

Strong religious beliefs are on a whole different level when it comes to compatibility.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    CajiggersCajiggers __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    No don't ask her out she might say no and then hate you forever and everyone will laugh at you everywhere you go for the rest of your life because she said no, and then you may be driven to drinking and suicide.

Cajiggers on
  • Options
    hsofpn666hsofpn666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    as a man ywho is now married has a 2 year old daughter let me give you some sound advice
    my wife and i are two totally different people and i am 6'3" and she is 5 foot so dont worry about the size thing we dated for quite a long time and every one was wondering how we were a couple but we got through it we even lived an hour apart from eachother so do what i am trying to say is if you feel you want something or some one in this world just do it if things dont work out they dont work out but at least you can say you made a go of it now move your ass

hsofpn666 on
  • Options
    harry.timbershaftharry.timbershaft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go for it dude, worst she can do is say "no" (which you'll learn is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things).

harry.timbershaft on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah, if she says no and isn't friends with you anymore - she's a bad friend
    if she says no and you remain friends - you can laugh about it (plus she can act as an agent)
    if she says yes, awesome.

So really there's no downside.

schuss on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It doesn't sound like you're her type. Some people just aren't interested in dating unless you meet their religious/ethnic/etc criteria.

That aside, it's not a big deal to ask out an acquaintance and get shut down. Pretty much worst case scenario is that she says no and you guys remain friends.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to go with the majority and say there's no harm in asking her out, but also with the minority and say there's probably no point. The religion thing is a pretty big hurdle and if she really feels that way you're unlikely to change her. People with different religious views can certainly get along well enough to have awesome relationships, but that takes a lot of commitment and understanding from both parties. If the nature of her quote causes you to lose even a little respect for her, you aren't doing anyone any favors by trying to date her.

In other words: she might say yes, but that's probably enough reason not to bother in the interest of saving yourself some time unless you like her a ton and are exceptionally understanding and respectful of other people's beliefs.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    She may also be using uber-religion as a defense mechanism - see shy, awkward.

A friend of mine went out with a girl like that for a while, and getting out to experience the world, relationships etc. completely changed her viewpoint. She's still very religious, but not hardline.

schuss on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd go on the side of 'don't ask', because as you said yourself, the quote from corinthians seems to cast some doubt over whether she'd even consider going out with heathen filth like you (i kid, obviously).

The main issue here is that although you like her a lot, and you're likely compatible as friends, you WILL disagree on religion, because as you've just seen, it won't be restricted to just the two of you having this difference.

She has felt it appropriate to give a quote in opposition to another person's view on religion in marriage, so let's say for the moment that you do end up going out, and are in a social situation. A similar discussion arises, and your now-GF is strongly espousing the sacred text's views on the matter. Do you back her up? If you don't, can she respect the fact that the two of you have a difference of world view? From the nature of the post that she made, it doesn't look too much like it.

I obviously don't know what she thinks or does, but from the limited available info, if i were in the same situation, i'd move on without asking her out at all- this difference could not help but become a toxic element in your relationship.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to say don't bother. You shouldn't go into every relationship wondering if it'll go the distance, but I also don't really see the point of going into one that you're pretty sure will crash and burn at some point. If you want to go out and have some fun with her, fair enough, but I don't think your friendship will survive that and you're probably better off just staying friends with her and meeting other girls.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you don't ask her out you'll probably never stop thinking about asking her out, even years from now.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I highly recommended asking her out: not because it's obviously a match made in heaven (hehe), but because asking somebody you like out is good practice. It isn't that big a deal (says the guy that no longer has to deal with it, so he can talk all brazenly), and it can really increase your confidence, whether or not she says "yes".

That being said, perhaps she felt like her friend was being a bit of a hypocrite and so wanted to point it out to her (like she had said that verse to someone else not long before, but now is going the other way) or maybe she felt that the person needed to be "put in their place" or something. We can't really be sure of her actual religious beliefs based on one facebook post taken out of context.

That being said...it would make *her* a bit of a hypocrite if she dated you...not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Every time someone wants to post a thread like "Should I ask him/her out", this is the response that should always be given:

* Yes, go for it. The worst you'll get is no.

* If they were your friend and they stop being your friend forever and ever, then they weren't that good of a friend in the first place and you'll find a better friend eventually.

* If they say yes and you date for a while, break up horribly and are never friends again, see the above response.

* If they say yes and it turns out well, then congratulations; YOU WON.

Addendum: Views about politics and religion will mess with these rules somewhat, but the story will remain mostly the same for as long as you're alive.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd say ask her out, on one condition: assuming things do work out, are you willing to compromise on matters of religion and politics when you'll be raising a family with her? Would you be able to accept raising catholic children with conservative views? You don't have to like it, but if you don't think you can accept it there's no point in trying. The same - in the opposite direction - goes for her obviously, but that's her decision to make, not yours.

brain operator on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    As others have already essentially said, you should ask her out for the simple reason that you need to learn that asking a woman out isn't that big of a deal and getting turned down isn't that big of a deal.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're 19; you're asking her out on a date, not asking her to marry you. Ask her out.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To sort of expand on what Thanatos said, it's just a date. There's no contract to go along with it; you can ask somebody out just to have fun with them. If it turns into something more than that, then sure, agree to be exclusive. Dating when you're 19 should primarily be about fun.

Just see if she wants to catch a movie sometime, or go to a show, or grab dinner. Whatever.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just see if she wants to hang out with you for a while. Theres no dark magiks involved in doing that.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you arent asking her out because you're afraid of her answer: Ask her out.
    If you arent asking her out because she's a jesus freak: Fair complaint. Don't ask her out.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    tehnewusernametehnewusername Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Alright, I'll ask her out. It really isn't that big of a deal... I just build things up in my head.

I don't really have a fear of asking girls out. I've done it three times now, though the first two times don't really count (first was over e-mail [i know :/] and the second was over text [I KNOW :/].

I don't want to do it over the internet (for obvious reasons), and I have her phone number, so should I just call her and ask her out? Or should I ask to meet her and then ask her out in person?

Like I said, I have almost no real experience with this, and my friends aren't any really help at all. I personally think asking someone out over the phone is fine, but in freshman year of high school I apparently thought asking a girl out via e-mail was fine, so my instincts obviously can't be trusted.

tehnewusername on
  • Options
    brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't want to do it over the internet (for obvious reasons), and I have her phone number, so should I just call her and ask her out? Or should I ask to meet her and then ask her out in person?
    I don't think asking someone out over the phone is exactly problematic. Plenty of people exchange phone numbers for that express purpose. If you see her regularly anyway I'd probably ask her in person though, but I wouldn't ask to meet her and then ask to go on a date. Just pop the question the next time you get together for whatever reason.

brain operator on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you don't see her in person on any regular basis I don't see why a phone call is bad. If you see her regularly and use the phone it's probably kind of weak.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Hey Clarissa, hows it going? Oh, good, yea, me too, thanks. Look, I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me this Friday, maybe we could grab some dinner at Merlot's and then see the open mic at Lazy Moon."

Improvolone on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The answer to 'should I ask someone out' is always 'yes'

Failure ain't so bad. And if you don't risk it, you don't even have the chance of a yes

Jintor on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Like I said, I have almost no real experience with this, and my friends aren't any really help at all. I personally think asking someone out over the phone is fine, but in freshman year of high school I apparently thought asking a girl out via e-mail was fine, so my instincts obviously can't be trusted.

Don't get to caught up in the 'rules' mang, turns out, there aren't any. Go with whatever you're okay with, and nine times out of ten, being totally okay with it will make it totally okay.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    The answer to 'should I ask someone out' is always 'yes'

Failure ain't so bad. And if you don't risk it, you don't even have the chance of a yes

It's actually not. I can think of quite a few places it's not acceptable or a good idea.

OP, The question you have to ask yourself is "Is it worth risking a friendship over?"

If she says "No" and things get weird, that's not her fault (against what others here will say). The minute you attempt to change the dynamic be prepared to take a step that you can never take back.

From how you describe things, it's not a good idea.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Female friends aren't some rare resource that you can't afford to lose. Ask her out and either way you'll have an opportunity to become a little more mature and closer to not putting them on a pedestal. Having her get wierded out isn't the end of the world even if it does happen, but continuing to think that asking out a woman is a BIG DEAL is something you should definitely get over. Hell, one valuable aspect of actually asking out women you're attracted to is learning when your instincts about whether or not they're interested are at all accurate. Right now, your instinct is operating largely in a void precisely because you don't have experience with when they turn you down or accept. That's part of the process. You learn from experience and over time you learn how to read women's cues better.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UrsangusUrsangus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Regarding the difference of religion, opinions, etc. It's been my experience that two people who see each other on an exclusive basis need some differences. If you happen to find yourself with someone who agrees with you on everything, neither one of you can really learn from each other, and the relationship tends to stagnate.
    I join the many other repliers here in saying, "What can it hurt to ask her out?" She might say no, and you both move on to a great friendship. She says yes, and you both move on to a hopefully great relationship. I trust that both of you are aware enough that you won't let a brief moment of potential relationship tension ruin what I assume to be an already great relationship.
    All said and done, best of luck in whatever you decide!

Ursangus on
    I-beams need lovin' too!
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was all set to say, "Do it, ask her out! Take the plunge!" Then I got to the line where she quotes Bible verses. Complete with the actual little chapter and verse. Yikes.

But I will say . . . still go for it and ask her out. Maybe, as someone said, being ultra-religious is a defense mechanism. If not, well . . . odds are you aren't going to end up marrying the first girl you go out with anyway and at least you'll get some experience and build up your confidence.

Just don't feel obligated to hide your liberal leanings or real feelings. Don't feel like you have to defer to/agree with her point-of-view because she's a girl, because she's shy, etc. You have just as much right to your own POVs.

LadyM on
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There isn't a book or video about how you should ask a girl out (that you should be reading anyways.) Everyone learned by trial and error, and mostly it was error.

There's really no harm in asking. Worst comes to worst you'll get turn down and even then it's not the end of the world. You can still ask her when something comes up the next time, or if things went sour there's always other girls around.

I haven't had much experience in asking girls out either. My advice is not to ask straight away.. but just get into a general conversation and then bring it up and say it'll be fun and then invite her. It would also help if you lower your expectation... don't think of it as a date but rather 2 friends getting together and hanging out... The pressure to preform is way less and you two might actually have a good time.

Good luck! :)

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Female friends aren't some rare resource that you can't afford to lose. Ask her out and either way you'll have an opportunity to become a little more mature and closer to not putting them on a pedestal. Having her get wierded out isn't the end of the world even if it does happen, but continuing to think that asking out a woman is a BIG DEAL is something you should definitely get over. Hell, one valuable aspect of actually asking out women you're attracted to is learning when your instincts about whether or not they're interested are at all accurate. Right now, your instinct is operating largely in a void precisely because you don't have experience with when they turn you down or accept. That's part of the process. You learn from experience and over time you learn how to read women's cues better.

Friends in general are a resource. Who cares if it's a girl or not? A friend is a friend is a friend. I don't see why you should risk asking some girl out just to gain more experience in "the field" at the risk of alienating her. Which you almost certainly do if she says "No". Yes, it's not the end of the world, but you're most likely going to lose a friend. That's what the OP's question needs to be weighed against. The OP already makes it sound like she's not going to be interested, he's just coming in here with the hope against hope that someone will say "Go for it!", which in these forums people tend to do no matter what the circumstance (Boyfriend? Who cares? Go for it, man!) for some strange reason that I haven't yet fathomed.

Take it from someone whose friend base is 90% women. I have a bit more insight than most men when it comes to matters like these.

EDIT: At the VERY LEAST hang out with her a few times on a friendly basis before you ask her. As you said, you haven't even seen her in person in quite some time. It's not going to kill you to wait a couple weeks. Jumping on her like that before she even gets settled is a pretty good way to unnerve her. Let her have a friendly face at the university before you go for it. Let her get used to you in person. Facebook does not count as real life interaction by any stretch of the imagination.

Esh on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have only lost one friend because I asked her out, out of about 5. She wasn't a very good friend at any rate.

Get it done, if it goes awry it will be off your chest and you can move on, and this, this feels very very good.

Also don't listen to Esh. The only advice there I can support is don't jump on her immediately if she came out of a relationship of some sort.

Do it over the phone if it's easier, not through text, give her a call, ask her if she'd like to go out for some lunch with you. If not, bugger, but now you have your answer and you can seek new and interesting things

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have only lost one friend because I asked her out, out of about 5. She wasn't a very good friend at any rate.

Get it done, if it goes awry it will be off your chest and you can move on, and this, this feels very very good.

Also don't listen to Esh. The only advice there I can support is don't jump on her immediately if she came out of a relationship of some sort.

Do it over the phone if it's easier, not through text, give her a call, ask her if she'd like to go out for some lunch with you. If not, bugger, but now you have your answer and you can seek new and interesting things

Asking her out for lunch is one thing, asking "WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A DATE WITH ME?!?!" is a whole other. The latter is what he's asking. If the former is all he's going to do, he should definitely go for it. Otherwise, as he hasn't even seen her in God knows how long, he needs to do the asking in person. She'll appreciate it much more and it's probably much more probable to work given (again) that they haven't been in face to face contact for a while.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't get why you're making such a tremendously serious matter out of just asking a girl on a date. The dude's already feeling nervous and uncertain about asking girls out, and instead of him learning from experience that it's not that big of a deal when you ask a girl out and she even turns you down, you're building it up to be this potential for disaster. OH NO, SHE MIGHT SAY NO. WE CAN'T HAVE A WOMAN SAYING NO. SAFER TO JUST AVOID THE SITUATION AND NEVER ASK A GIRL OUT UNTIL YOU CAN ACCURATELY COMPUTE THE ODDS THAT SHE'LL SAY YES.

Just ask her out. It's not a big deal. If she makes it a big deal, that's her problem not yours.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I get Esh's point... he's just saying that in all likelihood it's going to ruin the friendship, and he's really not wrong.

On the other hand, at this point asking the girl out has nothing to do with the girl, or even the potential for a relationship. It has to do with the OP's piece of mind and the fact that these unresolved issues tend to fester. Asking a girl you like out, regardless of outcome, is the quickest and least painful way to move on from those feelings. And judging by everything the OP said, I don't think this will work out well, but it will at least be resolved.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'