As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A friend of mine asked me for help, now I'm asking you for some

ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
She is staging a protest and is asking me to help her spread this particular blog:

link removed - ceres

Problem is, she's planning on having a bunch of abortions as part of this protest.
I don't really have any objections as I'm all cool with abortions but it does sound like a very stupid way of killing yourself or at the very least damaging your reproductive system.

On the other hand she is telling me that she has everything under control and have read up on the dangers so I can't really say that she's ignorant (and she's really not, I've always considered her quite intelligent actually) of how potentially risky this whole idea of her is.

Anyway, what should I do about this?
Should I refuse to help her out or help her carry this thing through?

Shanadeus on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't done huge amounts of research, but depending on HOW she has these multiple abortions done, it can definitely fuck up her reproductive system. At the very least, it'll be expensive. Abortion is NOT meant as a birth control substitute.

I'm fairly sure it's unethical to repeatedly impregnate yourself so that you can abort the fetus just because, but that's more iffy. I'd recommend against it either way.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have the anti-abortion protesters run out of ammo, or something? Because this would be an awfully generous gift.

admanb on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    It is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea, and yes I think you should refuse to help her with it.

P.S. If anyone says anything in this thread that is not an advised course of action for the OP, expect points.

edit: I removed the link from your post.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Just FYI, google has tracking tools that are going to bring her right to this thread if people start clicking that link. It might not be beneficial if you dont want her to know you may oppose.

That being said, As a protest, I think think this really hurts the pro choice stance rather than help it. Its not about making the beginnings of babies to abort them all willy nilly. This just reinforces the idea that pro choice supporters are very unattached from the value of life. I'm sure she could do this while understanding the risks to her heath, but overall it sounds like a stupid idea.

Iruka on
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll say up front I'm pro-life.

But this is dangerous and stupid for any number of reasons even putting that aside, just the effects on her physically could be serious.

It seems like a very immature response to the pro-choice/pro-life debate that's just aimed at offending the other side without achieving anything positive. Actually it seems a lot like internet trolling taken to an extreme.

Whether to get involved is ultimately your choice. If you're male and she's asking you father these babies/fetuses/whatever you justify them as, you should think extremely carefully about it though. I suspect this is the kind of craziness that will have many pro-choice people face-palming.

Raern on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I agree with ceres, refuse to help her.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    admanb wrote: »
    Have the anti-abortion protesters run out of ammo, or something? Because this would be an awfully generous gift.

You should politely inform her that this is a horrible fucking idea.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't imagine any rational pro-choice person wanting to be part of this. Seriously.

I'm pro-life, but I understand the general position when it comes to abortion for most pro-choice people is the Bill Clinton line: "Safe, legal and rare." From a purely PR move, a stunt like this seems pretty harmful to the pro-life cause. Morally, this is indefensible on so many levels.

What's your conscience telling you?

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    admanb wrote: »

Yep. Their argument is "women have abortions frivolously." So an actual woman having abortions frivolously provides them with invaluable ammo, since it can't just be laughed at as a strawman anymore. Way to betray the sisterhood, sister!

Is your friend an actual straw woman? Because that must be quite a fire hazard.

[edit]I got warned for giving no advice :( My advice is to tell her that it is a terrible idea that provides ammo for misogynists. It's not that it's hazardous to her own body (she can do what she likes to herself) but that it gives ammo to people who want to take away women's rights. Don't just ignore it, or it could end up on national news.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is like protesting gun control by parading downtown firing an automatic weapon in the air. Someone is going to stop you.

You can claim no one is getting hurt but boy are you damaging your cause and going to get your ass in trouble.

This is the worst idea.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm not in any way involved in the baby-making deal, I'm just a friend and nothing more (I feel sorry for her boyfriend, he can be quite... dumb at times). I've already kinda decided against not helping her out because of what admanb said but she's quite stubborn so I doubt I'll be able to stop her from doing this - I'll just try to find some research and studies on the dangers and hope some rational part of her mind realizes the dangers of what she's doing.

I really don't think there's anything else I can do but any suggestions would be welcome.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Shan, is she actually asking for your help with this in any way?

ceres on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not at all, she just sent this link to me on messenger a short while ago and was very enthusiastic about it - quite insistent on me sharing it with everyone.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah... reason #1 for removing the link. :P

How much do you want her to know of your disapproval? Because it would be easy enough to say 'yeah, sure, whatever', throw it away, and hope she comes around to doing the same. If you're looking to try to talk her out of it, that's a whole other ballgame.

ceres on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Explain to her that this will likely be counter-productive to her cause.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd advise you to urge your friend to not do this.

edit: also, I don't understand .... it's not like you can have an abortion -at- a protest .... how is she planning on making her real life (?) abortions a part of this protest as she couldn't possibly get pregnant, discover that she is actually pregnant, have it confirmed by a doctor, and then abort the baby so many times

I'm not sure how to phrase this .... am I making sense? Do you get what I'm going for here?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm confused after reading the first post, probably because the link is missing, is your friend anti-abortion?

You should tell her to talk to her OBGYN before doing this, internet research is, well... internet research.

If she is anti-abortion, I don't see how doing the thing that you're protesting against is in any way helpful.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ceres: The reason I brought it up here in the first place was for the latter reason. I did consider just ignoring this whole deal but she is (or was I guess, we haven't really talked much lately) a good friend so I felt that I should get some further help - thus this whole thread.

I have no idea if it's even possible to talk her out of it but if anyone here has some arguments or some websites on the dangers of her plans then that'd be pretty helpful.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A brief explanation of what was there for the purpose of advice-giving:

The proposed protest involves having as many abortions as is humanly possible and is actually, at least according to the link, supposed to support the Pro-Choice movement by showing that abortions are natural.

No, I am not putting the link back up.

ceres on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone has claimed to have done something like it before:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/17/AR2008041702519.html

What sort of help does your friend want? And how exactly does she plan on doing this? Is she going to try to induce the abortions herself? Is she going to be going to a doctor? Has she talked to her doctor about her plans?

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The plan is idiotic. What's she going to do, hold up receipts from the doctor's visit at rallies? Abortion's aren't natural, hence the term abortion. A miscarriage would be natural.

Where does she plan on finding all these willing temporary fathers? There will be a line around the block once word gets out.

Advice her to see her OB-GYN and get some materials from planned parenthood that deal with the effects (both mental and physical) of abortion. There are far better ways to stand up for a woman's right to control her body than this.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kistra wrote: »
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/17/AR2008041702519.html

What sort of help does your friend want? And how exactly does she plan on doing this? Is she going to try to induce the abortions herself? Is she going to be going to a doctor? Has she talked to her doctor about her plans?

She told me that she had it all planned and on the blog she talks about how she's done her homework out but I honestly doubt she brought this up with a doctor. She has a boyfriend that is according to her willing to do the impregnating and she's bought a bunch of those morning after pills that she plan to take after having sex every couple of days or so for what she called the "first phase".

I have no idea how she's going to go on about the actual abortions but I from reading her blog it sounds like she's going to go to the public health service in the UK (the NHS) and request them.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »

She told me that she had it all planned and on the blog she talks about how she's done her homework out but I honestly doubt she brought this up with a doctor. She has a boyfriend that is according to her willing to do the impregnating and she's bought a bunch of those morning after pills that she plan to take after having sex every couple of days or so for what she called the "first phase".

I have no idea how she's going to go on about the actual abortions but I from reading her blog it sounds like she's going to go to the public health service in the UK (the NHS) and request them.

From when the link was still up, it sounded like she intended to let the pregnancies go on progressively longer as she went.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just a heads up on my personal beliefs on the subject: I'm pro-life, but I see abortion as a necessary evil, and I'm opposed to anything after the second trimester.

I don't admit to knowing a whole lot about the process of reproduction on the woman's side, but doesn't it usually take something like 3-6 months or more to get pregnant normally, even when you're actively trying?

And let's assume that she gets pregnant every month by some miracle. How long does she plan to wait before she gets the abortion? A month? Start of the second trimester? Even assuming she only waits a month and "tons of abortions" means "a dozen abortions" then this is still going to take a matter of years. Also, aren't there all sorts of crazy hormones and such that start kicking in when a woman gets pregnant? I can't imagine starting and stopping that kind of hormonal roller coaster would be any amount of fun.

In short, it sounds like a whole lot of trouble for a result that will probably have little if any actual benefit to her cause and might end up actively harming it. Were I you, I would absolutely refuse to help, and if possible I'd attempt to convince her that spending years doing this would be a bad idea. And certainly explain how pro-lifers would read her actions if you think she might respond to that.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    She needs to do her homework again. Getting pregnant for the purpose of having an abortion does not fall under any of the reasons for which the NHS provides abortions. I can't think of any agency or physician that would promote or support such behavior. All her medical records are shared so she can't skip around the country going from clinic to clinic, the government will notice at some point that she's having multiple abortions a year. If she relies upon government benefits she may find several uncomfortable mental evaluations in her near future to determine if she's a suitable parent or someone who shouldn't be allowed out in the public sphere. When I lived in the UK my mum was the personnel manager for a very large hospital, several employees were put away in the loony bin for such behavior after they discovered that they had access to abortion medications, etc.

I have no idea what Phase One means, but it sounds absurd.

Frankly, this friend of yours sounds like she's clinging to a very fine thread of reality.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah, if your friend is seriously considering this, you may want to talk to someone close to her about her mental state.

There isn't much logic to her proposed 'protest' (if you can even call it a protest, seeing as how what she appears to be 'protesting' (no choice) isn't law)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like I can't really comment on this appropriately until I see the link and her thoughts, can you PM it to me?

Edit: There was a punk band called Crass, originally they were going to call themselves Stormtrooper but (thankfully) Eve Libertine, I think it was, told them that name was stupid, and they came up with Crass. They were a great punk band, but the name stormtrooper would just...In punk, it's easy to become a parody of yourself, and become something lame and immature like metal or whatever. And I think she might want to think about that. It's a super interesting concept, to get pregnant with the intention to have an abortion, but I think she needs to ask herself if this is the right kind of message she wants to send. I should say I'm pro-choice, but I don't think abortion is a subject you should take lightly, there's a lot of room for self-inflicted damage. And I don't mean physical damage. As a protest, as a performance art, I do find this really compelling, however, and would love to see her blog.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    doesn't it usually take something like 3-6 months or more to get pregnant normally, even when you're actively trying?

Maybe on average, sure, but not necessarily. A woman can get pregnant after a single evening of unprotected sex. I speak from experience.
    Also, aren't there all sorts of crazy hormones and such that start kicking in when a woman gets pregnant? I can't imagine starting and stopping that kind of hormonal roller coaster would be any amount of fun.

Yes. I'll be honest, this woman sounds a little nuts as it is, but absolutely, this will cause havoc with her body in all sorts of ways, physically and emotionally. As has been said many times, this is an awful plan for a variety of reasons.

OP: Your advice to her should be that this is a dangerous path that could have serious, unforeseen consequences. I have no idea what research she's done to come to the conclusion that this makes sense, but I feel confident that it was insufficient.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pro-choice, but this is not a choice anyone should make. I mean, I understand what she's trying to do, but I can think of plenty of other reasons to not do it. It would really hurt the pro-choice cause because they could cite this particular example as a reason to make it illegal.

Abortion should be done responsibly, just like sex. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread, later receiving a warning, a comparison of this to guns. People try to make guns illegal, someone goes down the street shooting their gun off. It's a protest, but it will probably end up expediting the process of making it illegal because people obviously cannot be trusted to handle things in a mature manner.

If I were you, I would not encourage her and would do everything in the world to keep her from doing it. Again, nothing good will come of this.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there any chance that she might be open to suggestions about alternate methods of protest and awareness raising about the neutral nature of abortion?

Also, taking the morning after pill absolutely cannot cause an abortion. Conflating prevention of pregnancy (even post-coitally) and abortion is what leads to bills that try and outlaw birth control. By definition, pregnancy doesn't start until implantation which occurs at least a week and up to two weeks after intercourse. Her conflating the two ideas on her blog (I don't know if she does, never saw the site) is actually working against the pro-choice movement.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    AnarchiaAnarchia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »

I've never had the need to take them, but it's my understanding that the morning after pill isn't exactly pleasant. Don't know how neutral this site is, but it does say that "nausea, fatigue, and headaches are among the most commonly reported Plan B side effects." And it claims that no one really knows what the consequences of overdosing would be, besides likely vomiting, nor how to treat it. I'd imagine that taking it every few days for a month or so would put her at high risk at finding out for the rest of us.

I don't think she'd be likely to keep up her protest after that, but I don't really understand the type of person that would choose to protest that way either. O_o

Anarchia on
    SteamID : LizWiz
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there any chance that she might be open to suggestions about alternate methods of protest and awareness raising about the neutral nature of abortion?

Also, taking the morning after pill absolutely cannot cause an abortion. Conflating prevention of pregnancy (even post-coitally) and abortion is what leads to bills that try and outlaw birth control. By definition, pregnancy doesn't start until implantation which occurs at least a week and up to two weeks after intercourse. Her conflating the two ideas on her blog (I don't know if she does, never saw the site) is actually working against the pro-choice movement.

And, in fact, shows that she has NOT done her research.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's an incredibly dumb way to try to protest. I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That link that Kistra posted may be useful to mention... not because it was a hoax or because of what the person was doing in it, but because of the mentioned pro-choice group's horrified reaction.

ceres on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anarchia wrote: »
    I've never had the need to take them, but it's my understanding that the morning after pill isn't exactly pleasant.

My fiancee took Plan B once, and she described it as the worst period she can imagine. Cramps, nausea, worse than normal bleeding, pain, tenderness, and mood swings that have made me forgive every bout of PMS she's had since. I've heard of it changing a woman's cycle, causing missed periods.

Every woman reacts differently, just like normal birth control, but in any case, definitely not something you take because you want to, and I can only speak as a witness to the aftermath.

Taking it twice in one month is supposed to be "safe" but ratchet up the side effects severely. This girl's plan sounds like it'll result in doing that.

Hevach on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I've checked over her blog now and it's...pathetic. It could have been really feminist, anarchist and interesting but, it's mostly just misguided attention whoring. I really don't think she's interested in progressing any kind of feminist movement at all, she just appears like a self righteous self promoter with a martyr complex.

You should definitely talk to her, and you should definitely talk to her boyfriend. How she could get anyone else on board with this is beyond me.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Beck wrote: »
    How she could get anyone else on board with this is beyond me.

The boyfriend probably heard, "...Blah blah blah - We're gonna have a buncha sex - Blah blah blah..."

Maybe explaining to him in more detail what's going on would help?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, having an abortion fucking hurts. I mean, I don't personally know, but I've had friends who've had RU-486, first trimester surgical abortions, and second trimester surgical abortions. All of them described pain (the further along they were, the more painful it was). I didn't see the link to the blog, but if she's planning to get progressively further along in the pregnancies each time, she may want to think about the little matchsticks of expanding seaweed they shove into your cervix so that it dilates enough to perform the procedure (2nd trimester). Ow ow ow ow. In order to prevent infection post d&c procedure, too, you're not supposed to have sex for several weeks, so I don't know how much that'll interfere with her plans.

All the hormone fluctuation really won't be good for her, either. This is also a pretty expensive plan. According to Planned Parenthood, a first-trimester abortion costs between $350-950. Second- or third-trimester abortions are definitely more expensive than that.

This is really ill-thought-out, and I'd advise you say something about the (1) cost (2) pain and (3) terrible PR to your friend in hopes of getting her to stop this course of action pronto.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would seriously be opposed to this kind of stupid shit. I'm fervently pro-choice, but pulling a stunt like this ultimately hurts the argument for it, not to mention it's seriously wasteful to tie up a clinic's resources on a regular basis like that if she really manages to go through with it.

I skimmed a bit and caught you guys are in the UK, or at least she is? I'm pretty sure the money won't come out of pocket for her, but she should seriously consider the kind of resources the clinic will have to go through each time she aborts in terms of time and money that would better be spent on someone who needs it, rather than on someone bent on proving a point in pretty much the worst possible way.

All that not to mention personal bodily harm.

You need to tell her how bad an idea this is.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, having an abortion fucking hurts. I mean, I don't personally know, but I've had friends who've had RU-486, first trimester surgical abortions, and second trimester surgical abortions. All of them described pain (the further along they were, the more painful it was). I didn't see the link to the blog, but if she's planning to get progressively further along in the pregnancies each time, she may want to think about the little matchsticks of expanding seaweed they shove into your cervix so that it dilates enough to perform the procedure (2nd trimester). Ow ow ow ow. In order to prevent infection post d&c procedure, too, you're not supposed to have sex for several weeks, so I don't know how much that'll interfere with her plans.

All the hormone fluctuation really won't be good for her, either. This is also a pretty expensive plan. According to Planned Parenthood, a first-trimester abortion costs between $350-950. Second- or third-trimester abortions are definitely more expensive than that.

This is really ill-thought-out, and I'd advise you say something about the (1) cost (2) pain and (3) terrible PR to your friend in hopes of getting her to stop this course of action pronto.

Not only all of this, but getting an abortion just because she can to say "See, its all good!" sounds pretty damn offensive to every person who had a life changing experience when they had an abortion.

OP, if all this isn't enough to get her to realize how terrible of an idea this is, you should really consider removing her from whatever program she messaged you over. She really doesn't seem like somebody sane enough to keep constant contact with.

Sanders on