Options

A friend of mine asked me for help, now I'm asking you for some

2»

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alright, I think I managed to get through to her using the arguments you all provided. Some comments on her blog seems to have made her realize how poor her planning is so she's apparently going to re-adjust her plans a bit.
    She's still going through with the morning-after pills as she has a strong dislike for people that consider fertilized eggs to have any worth and I tried to point out to her that it's dangerous to take several pills in a row as she's planning t do but it's no use.

I think it is about time I completely break off contact with her anyway, I've done my part to still my conscience.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    Alright, I think I managed to get through to her using the arguments you all provided. Some comments on her blog seems to have made her realize how poor her planning is so she's apparently going to re-adjust her plans a bit.
    She's still going through with the morning-after pills as she has a strong dislike for people that consider fertilized eggs to have any worth and I tried to point out to her that it's dangerous to take several pills in a row as she's planning t do but it's no use.

I think it is about time I completely break off contact with her anyway, I've done my part to still my conscience.

...She might want to do a little bit more research into the method of action of morning after pills. While there is a theoretical chance that they might make it less likely for a fertilized egg to implant, all of the solid evidence is that emergency contraception prevent ovulation. Her modified plan has absolutely nothing to do with her stated goals.

http://www.contraceptionjournal.org/article/S0010-7824%2810%2900321-5/abstract

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    She is protesting on behalf of something that is already legal and available?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would try to convince her to volunteer for planned parenthood instead. There's a lot of people who need to get an abortion (after getting raped or having a condom break) but have no way of getting to the clinic without their parents driving, which a lot of people can't do for obvious reasons. So you pick them up, stay with them after the operation, and drive them home afterwards.

Something like that would be more constructive and less dangerous, I would feel.

EDIT: In the united states, abortion is legal but there are a lot of places where there's only one or two clinics for the entire state or the conservative state government has set up a number of road blocks (so to speak) to make getting an abortion more difficult. These are the places where your friend could make an actual difference and help people in very dire straits

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Working with women who have to make the choice might also give her some insight into why her original plan was such a bad idea. That sounds like a really good idea.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would try to convince her to volunteer for planned parenthood instead.

In the UK, where she apparently is, there is free abortion on the NHS, and it's fairly socially accepted, so this is not likely to be relevant. Few parents (except the ultra-religious, who are rare) would really go apeshit like in the USA because pro-life is a fairly small movement there. Also public transport is generally good to hospitals, and less people live in rural areas without access to public transport.

I don't think Planned Parenthood is in the UK. However, there are other independent family planning charities she could volunteer for, and that would be a good thing. Try http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

In the UK, where she apparently is, there is free abortion on the NHS, and it's fairly socially accepted, so this is not likely to be relevant. Few parents (except the ultra-religious, who are rare) would really go apeshit like in the USA because pro-life is a fairly small movement there. Also public transport is generally good to hospitals, and less people live in rural areas without access to public transport.

Yeah, here in the UK abortion is a lot less taboo then in the US.

However the misuse of the NHS IS (and this is a clear example of it). The NHS is paid for by the working public and something like this will seriously damage the credibility of the Pro-choice movement in the UK.

But as John Matrix already said, it looks like the NHS won't do it for her anyway. But the OP needs to talk her out this, its a terrible idea.

And God knows what medical problems could arise from having multiple abortions in succession.

Karl on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isn't that a lot of pro lifers concern with abortion? I mean, aside from the religious side, that people will just use it as birth control? I would imagine the vast majority of pro-choice pundits would be mortified by this. If i were you, i'd encourage her to express her opinions in a less dangerous and ignorant way.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    DoraBDoraB Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I understand what she wants to do, but she's going about it in entirely the wrong way. Ignoring for the moment that abortions are petty costly, has she spoken to a doctor about the sort of damage she could do to her body by doing that over and over in a short period of time?

A while ago I came across a site called ImNotSorry. It was for women to post (anonymously or not, up to them) their abortion experiences and say why they felt they made the right decision. It was made in response to all the sites out there featuring stories from women who regret what they did and are designed to scare women away from abortion. I think if your friend were to do something similar, perhaps by interviewing a few amenable women if she could find them who had HAD abortions and didn't regret it, she'd still be making a positive statement and wouldn't be putting herself in danger.

It's just that women have abortions for all sorts of reasons. I know my mother had one when I was sixteen and she took it extremely hard, even though it was the right thing for her to do. For a lot of women, it's not some simple snap decision, and for someone to just go and start what seems like flaunting the act as something that's "easy", while your friend might have the best of intentions, she might wind up offending a whole bunch of people for whom the decision was NOT so easy and hurting rather than helping her cause.

DoraB on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This doesn't make any ideological sense. If she wants to show fertilized eggs have no worth, couldn't she just take the regular pill rather than the morning-after and still accomplish the same thing (prevent the egg from implanting), just without fucking up her body so much?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This doesn't make any ideological sense. If she wants to show fertilized eggs have no worth, couldn't she just take the regular pill rather than the morning-after and still accomplish the same thing (prevent the egg from implanting), just without fucking up her body so much?
    Um... that doesn't make any sense either. Both "regular" and morning after pills stop ovulation.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't think Planned Parenthood is in the UK. However, there are other independent family planning charities she could volunteer for, and that would be a good thing. Try http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/

whoops!

didn't see that in the OP if that was there. sorry about that.

Casual Eddy on