SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It's the Brotherhood without Banners

Oh right, thanks.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    D:
    Ned, noooooooo!

Just finished Game of Thrones. Fuck the Lannisters. Fuck Jaime and fuck Cersei and fuck Joffrey.

King in the North is pretty dang cool. Let's just hope he doesn't suddenly die.

Also not sure about the addition of actual dragons. I was kind of enjoying how this fantasy story didn't really have any fantasy in it. But I'm sure GRRM will handle it well.

Now excuse me while I go and have a little cry about Ned.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Legba wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the audiobook I was listening to wasn't missing a chapter or two. There are a couple of points in A Storm of Swords that stood out as possibly missing to me:
    I didn't read a chapter where Sam met Bran, or got under the wall. And I didn't read any account of Jon's escape from the wildlings. Both of those were referred back to, so I know they were missing, or else it's just an odd storytelling technique.

It's entirely possible that I missed other things, too. Such as the above spoiler.

Pretty sure both of those are in the audio book. Although I listened to it after I read it so it's possible I just filled it in, but I seem to remember Mr. Dotrice's dulcet tones describing the above sections.

Drool on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    smof wrote: »
    D:
    Ned, noooooooo!

Just finished Game of Thrones. Fuck the Lannisters. Fuck Jaime and fuck Cersei and fuck Joffrey.

Also not sure about the addition of actual dragons. I was kind of enjoying how this fantasy story didn't really have any fantasy in it. But I'm sure GRRM will handle it well.

Bahahahaha! This is amazing, i need to force more people to read this series.

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hahahahaha look at smof he thinks
    that Ned was important in any way

that's cute

YaYa on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think he was important if no other reason than the way his ideals shape the actions of several other characters

Also he was a cool guy, why you gotta hate, YaYa?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is it safe for me to click that spoiler?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I will say no, even though it isn't a direct spoiler? Who knows it's kind of hazy

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ned's not a bad guy, he's just in over his head in a way that makes it amazing most of his kids have survived after being taught by him.(Especially when they where also influenced by Catelyn.) He is very much an important viewpoint for the story precisely because he just does not understand that other people don't have to play by your rules, and that expecting them too doesn't get you very far.
    I still have to force myself to use present tense when I talk about him though.

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    it's not really a spoiler

I think smof can guess that things get much more insane than in the first book

YaYa on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My new hope for the series is to Hot Pie to come back in some sort of Gamzee-like fashion, and kill EVERYONE

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I know he isn't one of the key characters to the overall story, I'm just not used to authors killing off characters as casually as GRRM seems to so I was expecting him to be around longer, same as I thought Viserys would be around longer. And Robert and Drogo for that matter! I'm kind of getting accustomed to it now, and basically making no assumptions that any character will survive past the next chapter. I really thought Robb might bite it in the fight at Riverrun.

I just liked Ned. He was a straight up guy and he wanted to do the right thing, and even though I could tell from the start he was just going to get himself in trouble it was sad when it happened.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    you're learning

YaYa on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love it when they give jon command of the wall

that whole chapter is just really excellent

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    smof wrote: »
    D:
    Ned, noooooooo!

re: GoT, fantasy
    Martin uses fantasy elements sparingly and they make a hell of an impact when they show up. Plus there are some in the prologue so you know that something's out there bigger than the mundane, but there are such long stretches between them you forget about it. IIRC the only ones in GoT are the Others at the beginning, Maegi's stuff with Drogo, and the dragons at the very end. Every time, people are like "holy shit, what the fuck is going on."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Surprisingly few major characters die in battles between large armies.

In fact I have difficulty thinking of any who die in that fashion.

Brolo on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh my god smof you are the adorablest. Please, please keep posting your thoughts as you read through.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rolo wrote: »

Rodrik Cassel, and almost everyone at Winterfell. That one knight who went crazy and tried to kill Tyrion and then Pod killed him. Forgot his name.

Jeor Mormont, although he was killed in a mutiny by his own men while they were retreating from a major battle.

Ygritte, Mance? For some reason I can't remember if Mance died in that battle or if he's still alive and being held at Castle Black.

Possibly Loras at this point.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SimBen wrote: »

That one knight who went crazy and tried to kill Tyrion and then Pod killed him. Forgot his name.

Jeor Mormont, although he was killed in a mutiny by his own men while they were retreating from a major battle.

Ygritte, Mance? For some reason I can't remember if Mance died in that battle or if he's still alive and being held at Castle Black.

Ser Rodrik actually just came to mind.

Mandon Moore - well he has a name, but I don't think he really makes "major character" status.

Jeor doesn't really count since his was more of a murder than actually being killed by the enemy, and Mance is still alive and going to be a scarifice for the Red Woman.

Loras is still alive.

Ygritte is probably the closest, where she's definitely dead but her death actually takes place completely off-stage.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That recruiter guy.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah, another good one.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

That one knight who went crazy and tried to kill Tyrion and then Pod killed him. Forgot his name.

Ser Rodrik actually just came to mind.

Mandon Moore - well he has a name, but I don't think he really makes "major character" status.

Jeor doesn't really count since his was more of a murder than actually being killed by the enemy, and Mance is still alive and going to be a scarifice for the Red Woman.

Loras is still alive.

Ygritte is probably the closest, where she's definitely dead but her death actually takes place completely off-stage.
    Damn you I totally edited Rodrik in before I saw your reply too.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    captaink on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just started Feast For Crows yesterday. This one is a lot shorter than the last few.

I'm about 15% through and a crapload of new characters have already been introduced.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A Feast For Crows:
    Wow, Cersei is really going off the deep end, huh. She's like a straight up Bond villain, except less cuddly.

Legba on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Crazy ASOIF story time:

Last night I dreamt that I somehow obtained a copy of A Dance with Dragons, and I was nearly finished reading it when I woke up. At first I was really disappointed, but then I thought about it for a bit and realised that what happened in my subconsciousness's ADWD made absolutely no fucking sense. So I'm glad I don't have that book. Hopefully the one we get is nothing like it.
    Jaime somehow became a great swordsman again and killed all the Kingsguard knights remaining in the capital, and then he was fighting dinosaurs, I think. And Stannis' army on Dragonstone also had to repel a dinosaur apocalypse. I never even thought there was anything weird about all this until I woke up. I'm chalking this up to watching Jurassic Park earlier this week, skimming through a Storm of Swords before I went to sleep coupled with the big glass of milk I had before bed.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know

I'd read a book about Jaime fighting Dinosaurs

Solar on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So would I, but does that belong in the series proper? I'm inclined to say no. Fights between our favourite fictional characters and dinosaurs are for spinoffs and fanfiction. Like the Jurassic Park/Song of Ice and Fire one that I think I'll have to write now.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GRRM wrote a thing where Jamie fought Cthullu.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Didn't he also write a thing where Jaime fought Rand al'Thor?

or was that the same thing

Seriously on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It was just a Fantasy site doing mock battles between famous characters and using votes to determine the winner.
    Though I think Martin wrote a bit of fanfic to go along with it on his blog.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    thrones.jpg

thrones2.jpg

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/16/a-game-of-thrones-genesis-screenshots/

Probably already posted, but I am lazy and search is down.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    eugh

what the fuck

warcraft 3 scale? god damnit

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Looks pretty cool. I guess it'll cover Aegon's conquest of Westeros.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "I have a dragon and so do my crazy ass siblings, give me your shit or die" and then you either get their stuff or burn them and get their stuff doesn't seem like much of an RTS

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dragons weren't COMPLETELY unkillable obviously. Plus it'll probably have multiple campaigns and stuff.

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    "I have a dragon and so do my crazy ass siblings, give me your shit or die" and then you either get their stuff or burn them and get their stuff doesn't seem like much of an RTS

Especially considering it'll be turn-based.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Especially considering it'll be turn-based.

I found the screen shots so uninteresting I didn't even read the article, so I made an assumption, whoops!

I think the Song of Ice and Fire mod for Mount and Blade is probably the right way to go in terms of gameplay. It was just a mod, so it didn't do much besides change the map and factions to have a SoIaF theme but the army combat was great

Probably not the best vehicle for following the books but it was a lot of fun if you let yourself get immersed in the idea of it (and then beat up the lannisters forever)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.