Options

The [Chat] Santa Went Crazy

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    She's accepted the rules by engaging in wrestling. And lets be honest, he's a high school wrestler. His odds of being gay are much higher then the base population. So if he gets near a vagina, it will be the one and only time. It won't hurt him.

I could just see the kid wrestling her and grabbing something he shouldn't have and then everyone calls him a perv or something. Its a wargames situation.

You're talking about a sport where apparently hooking a finger into an opponent's anus is not unknown. The perv worries seem a bit over blown.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I'm saying it doesn't matter as far as the consequences of dropping the match. A forfeit is still a forfeit. He could have dropped out for any number of reasons, legitimate or not, this isn't a special case.

I could see being uncomfortable wanting to wrestle a woman though because a lot of fair game places on a man could get you in trouble wrestling a woman. Its not equal and it gives the woman an advantage.

It seems like for a guy it could be construed as a lose lose situation. If he wins it means he overpowered a girl, if he loses, he was overpowered by a girl. (Note that I'm not saying that mindset is right for some of you defenders of the feminism faith types) Kind of sucks for them both being in that situation, but if it's the only way she can compete...I guess there isn't really another option.

"defenders of the feminism faith?" herp derp

a guy's sense of privilege/"masculinity" taking a hit is never a reason to stop anything

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Meh, people are idiots.

Yes. Which is why stupidity is a factor requiring consideration in all social equations.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Overall I really like it

It's just that sometimes I can sneak up on anyone anywhere as long as I'm not directly in front of them

And other times they will spot me from a window on the other side of the city and then ALARMS

Some missions you just have to accept you are getting spotted, and they don't really matter. Like there was one to infiltrate a mansion and at one point you get ambushed, no amount of stealth saves you.

Well yeah there are plot points where you can tell that an ambush is supposed to happen

But other times it seems random

And it wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't OCD about stuff like that

I mean it gives you a grade card after every mission that is like

AGENT THORTON WAS UNABLE TO MAINTAIN COVER THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MISSION. WHETHER OR NOT THIS WILL COMPROMISE FUTURE ASSIGNMENTS IS UNCERTAIN.

I seriously got almost that exact phrasing once

It was even in red

Nocturne on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm saying it doesn't matter as far as the consequences of dropping the match. A forfeit is still a forfeit. He could have dropped out for any number of reasons, legitimate or not, this isn't a special case.

I could see being uncomfortable wanting to wrestle a woman though because a lot of fair game places on a man could get you in trouble wrestling a woman. Its not equal and it gives the woman an advantage.

It seems like for a guy it could be construed as a lose lose situation. If he wins it means he overpowered a girl, if he loses, he was overpowered by a girl. (Note that I'm not saying that mindset is right for some of you defenders of the feminism faith types) Kind of sucks for them both being in that situation, but if it's the only way she can compete...I guess there isn't really another option.

This is almost, but not quite, the same as wrestling a smaller guy, or someone with a huge losing streak. There are multiple scenarios in which a victory brings little benefit aside from padding your record. They're all unfortunate spots to be in, but all athletes are bound to experience some of 'em.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

a guy's sense of privilege/"masculinity" taking a hit is never a reason to stop anything

If a woman decided she didn't want to interact with a man in that context, would you say that her concerns are unfounded? Switch the genders.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

But a woman's femininity is?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Overall I really like it

It's just that sometimes I can sneak up on anyone anywhere as long as I'm not directly in front of them

And other times they will spot me from a window on the other side of the city and then ALARMS

Some missions you just have to accept you are getting spotted, and they don't really matter. Like there was one to infiltrate a mansion and at one point you get ambushed, no amount of stealth saves you.

Well yeah there are plot points where you can tell that an ambush is supposed to happen

But other times it seems random

And it wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't OCD about stuff like that

I mean it gives you a grade card after every mission that is like

AGENT THORTON WAS UNABLE TO MAINTAIN COVER THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MISSION. WHETHER OR NOT THIS WILL COMPROMISE FUTURE ASSIGNMENTS IS UNCERTAIN.

I seriously got almost that exact phrasing once

It was even in red

Suck less zombie!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hahahahah so I was looking at the "I NEED UR HELP" guy from earlier

He's got an OKC profile

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/skweezy

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Gravity is still not properly explained. Just because we have something astoundingly accurate doesn't mean it's right.

It blatantly isn't right because of y'know, the inconsistencies it doesn't explain - that makes it decidedly lacking in my eyes.

Newton's Law of Universal Gravity was very accurate and consistent but decidedly lacking when it came to high energies (iirc) so physicists made something new.
    By your definition nothing is explained. Obviously we do not understand everything, so yet there will be inconsistencies in every modern theory. Gravitation remains the only theory we have that offers an elegant, powerful, and unbelievably accurate explanation for a given force and the nature of the universe on the grandest of scales.

Quantum mechanics is even more accurate but there are loads of instances (see: renormalization, and the Standard Model's 25 adjustable parameters) where things just needed to be inserted in order to have the theory describe our universe.

We will in fact never perfectly describe our universe, I admit I believe this.

Something can be explained, but the explanation is not necessarily the truth. The explanation physicists provide may be useful, but it isn't good enough.

If something was ever perfectly explained we'd just stop working on it.

Anyhow using an imperfect explanation of gravity as one of the core premises of your reasoning to explain the nature of the entire universe is obviously flawed, and wrong.

Ergo, your conclusion is wrong because the premise is wrong.
    What is "good enough"?

My explanation of all the forces being geometry is another way of restating the principles of string theory.

String theory is being studied by almost every single major center for theoretical physics around the world. There are thousands upon thousands of the brightest minds of our generation working on string theory. Does that mean it's right? Of course not, and we won't know for a long time. But there is a reason it is currently the only leading candidate for the next unifying step in our understanding of the world.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man how weird is this story?

High school wrestler refuses to wrestle girl in state tournament, she wins match by default. And here's his statement on the matter:
    "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," wrote Northup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

I don't know what to think, copping out on "religious" reasoning seems dumb...but is it really appropriate for high school aged opposite sexes to wrestle for sport....tough call. Sucks to be the girl in that situation to be sure.
    Why not, as long as the matches are monitored appropriately?

And I really hope the kid who forfeited is prepared for a lifetime of the world kicking his ass.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    hahahahah so I was looking at the "I NEED UR HELP" guy from earlier

He's got an OKC profile

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/skweezy

oh man, I remember this

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    She's accepted the rules by engaging in wrestling. And lets be honest, he's a high school wrestler. His odds of being gay are much higher then the base population. So if he gets near a vagina, it will be the one and only time. It won't hurt him.

I could just see the kid wrestling her and grabbing something he shouldn't have and then everyone calls him a perv or something. Its a wargames situation.

You're talking about a sport where apparently hooking a finger into an opponent's anus is not unknown. The perv worries seem a bit over blown.

what

what is this

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's going on your Permanent Record, Nocturne. It will follow you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

If a woman decided she didn't want to interact with a man in that context, would you say that her concerns are unfounded? Switch the genders.

yes.

come on cass, you're smarter than this. I know you can smell the gaze all over his response.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    desc wrote: »
    That's going on your Permanent Record, Nocturne. It will follow you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

God I hope so.

"Could not properly stealth in Alpha Protocol".

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

what

what is this

Apparently it is called a "Butt Drag". Here you go.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wait, no, I'm thinking of a different one

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    ok, i googled it

looks like it's high level, and that they share a weight class

well, i'm not religious, so my sympathies don't ally themselves exactly with his, but the sentiment is not, i think, a ridiculous one

Organichu on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alpha Protocoll once falsely accused me of killing CIA agents. Very upsetting.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IDK the kid seems to have done what was fair. He wasn't comfortable grappling a girl in spandex and felt it was in conflict with his religion.

So he forfeits.

Seems like the fairly mature thing to do on his part, I mean he even complimented his would be opponents.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm of the mindset that if a woman wants to do something, let her....

I mean I'd be fine if the world heavyweight championship boxer female wanted to fight the male, as long as one of them didn't get arrested after they killed the other. (I could see it going either way really)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    where's that fake OKC that starts off like the one feral linked but then develops into, like, existential despair over being a bro

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

That's different. It's one of those sports attitudes that allow guys to do gay shit to each other because it's part of the game, which removes any sexual context. You throw a girl in the ring, that isn't as easily done. Her being a girl is too hard a thing to ignore. Sexual context re-emerges.

If I punch a guy in the dick, that's me in a fight. I grab a girl's tit in a scuffle, that shit's sexual assault

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have never wrestled competitively, but i have done bjj competitively and cross trained in wrestling

unless the girl was reasonably close to my weight (which may not apply to this dude if he's little) i wouldn't wrestle a woman either

Um, she would be - wrestling has weight classes.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Hah, you only reinforce the my defender's of the faith remark. I'm paraphrasing a bit but, Me: understand that it's a complex situation for both sexes with no real "right" way to handle it. You: Fuck men.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    hey feral: woo everyone's got an opinion about feminism again!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

yes.

come on cass, you're smarter than this. I know you can smell the gaze all over his response.

You can't divorce societal dynamics and relations from the way people interact with each other. You can say its wrong all you want, and thats probably true, but to dismiss someones concerns and uncomfortableness as them being a privileged male is, well, kind of removed from reality. Men are still capable of vulnerableness regarding the opposite gender, and his response was respectful enough despite the fact that I have a core disagreement with his views.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    IDK the kid seems to have done what was fair. He wasn't comfortable grappling a girl in spandex and felt it was in conflict with his religion.

So he forfeits.

Seems like the fairly mature thing to do on his part, I mean he even complimented his would be opponents.

Yeah I don't see why what he said was wrong. He wasn't comfortable and felt it was unfair he was put in the situation. Its not like he's suing the sports organization.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

"Well your resume and experience are both outstanding, and you seem to be fully qualified for this position. Our only concern is that, after examining your gamer tag achievements, it looks like you did not properly maintain stealth for five or more missions in Alpha Protocol. Would you like to explain this seemingly reckless behavior?"

Nocturne on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gravity is still not properly explained. Just because we have something astoundingly accurate doesn't mean it's right.

It blatantly isn't right because of y'know, the inconsistencies it doesn't explain - that makes it decidedly lacking in my eyes.

Newton's Law of Universal Gravity was very accurate and consistent but decidedly lacking when it came to high energies (iirc) so physicists made something new.
    By your definition nothing is explained. Obviously we do not understand everything, so yet there will be inconsistencies in every modern theory. Gravitation remains the only theory we have that offers an elegant, powerful, and unbelievably accurate explanation for a given force and the nature of the universe on the grandest of scales.

Quantum mechanics is even more accurate but there are loads of instances (see: renormalization, and the Standard Model's 25 adjustable parameters) where things just needed to be inserted in order to have the theory describe our universe.

We will in fact never perfectly describe our universe, I admit I believe this.

Something can be explained, but the explanation is not necessarily the truth. The explanation physicists provide may be useful, but it isn't good enough.

If something was ever perfectly explained we'd just stop working on it.

Anyhow using an imperfect explanation of gravity as one of the core premises of your reasoning to explain the nature of the entire universe is obviously flawed, and wrong.

Ergo, your conclusion is wrong because the premise is wrong.
    What is "good enough"?

My explanation of all the forces being geometry is another way of restating the principles of string theory.

String theory is being studied by almost every single major center for theoretical physics around the world. There are thousands upon thousands of the brightest minds of our generation working on string theory. Does that mean it's right? Of course not, and we won't know for a long time. But there is a reason it is currently the only leading candidate for the next unifying step in our understanding of the world.

Sure, but afaik string theory is all maths with no evidence backing it up so far.

Until there's some evidence your idea of the nature of the universe being thoughts (of a God-figure of some sort?) is roughly equivalent to some other awful, unsubstantiated idea.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011

yes.

what does "smell the gaze" even mean?

and many men and women have issues with close physical contact with strangers of the opposite gender that they don't have with members of their gender. it doesn't have shit to do with "privilege" or generally even the "sense of masculinity"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    where's that fake OKC that starts off like the one feral linked but then develops into, like, existential despair over being a bro

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Gimmethadigits

IT'S JUST SO HARD MAN IT'S JUST SO HARD

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

So he forfeits.

Actually everyone involved seems to be handling it quite professionally, the parents understand, the league seems to understand, it's the media that's trying to create something out of it.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

God I hope so.

"Could not properly stealth in Alpha Protocol".

"Listen, your resume and references look great, it's just ...
    (glances at numerous stealth failures)
    ... We've decided to go with another candidate for the position."

Edit: beated by noct

desc on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have never wrestled competitively, but i have done bjj competitively and cross trained in wrestling

unless the girl was reasonably close to my weight (which may not apply to this dude if he's little) i wouldn't wrestle a woman either

Um, she would be - wrestling has weight classes.

i know that- but plenty of local competitions have open classes. i googled the specific situation and clarified.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

That's different. It's one of those sports attitudes that allow guys to do gay shit to each other because it's part of the game, which removes any sexual context. You throw a girl in the ring, that isn't as easily done. Her being a girl is too hard a thing to ignore. Sexual context re-emerges.

If I punch a guy in the dick, that's me in a fight. I grab a girl's tit in a scuffle, that shit's sexual assault

Yeah whole lot of this.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »

yes.

what does "smell the gaze" even mean?

We're like dogs sniffing each others butts. It looks meaningless to you but there's a whole wealth of shorthand and information there.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Noct! you're back...

How were the windows?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have 149 Orks, and 24 more unassembled.

I should like...play some Warhammer or something.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
This discussion has been closed.