As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] Santa Went Crazy

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fighting is the only sport I can't see sexes mixing on. But I am biased in the sense that as a man to legally protect yourself you should never touch a woman who is not your spouse/romantic interest at all, and you should never ever be alone in a room with children even if they are related to you if they aren't YOURS.

Just too risky.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was talking to Pony about this in the context of the UFC, I said that instead of just having a women's division they should just put the women in with the men.

He said something something biology men have denser muscle mass so you can't draw an equivalency something something

Which bummed me out because I would enjoy seeing ladies in the UFC

See I don't get this.

Yes, the worlds strongest man will more than likely be able to lift more than the worlds strongest woman, the worlds best boxer will hit harder than the worlds best female boxer, but wouldn't she be faster, making it a situation like a heavyweight man fighting a welterweight man with a more solid punch, which has been proven to be disastrous for heavyweights in the past when it's been done?

Yeah, seems to me weight classes are kind of double protection system, keeps smaller people from getting bludgeoned by a beast, but protects the beasts from having to try and deal with the agility of a quicker/smaller fighter.

Also, makes judging of ability far easier, since both competitors are assumed to be equal on a base standard such as weight/size.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I was talking to Pony about this in the context of the UFC, I said that instead of just having a women's division they should just put the women in with the men.

He said something something biology men have denser muscle mass so you can't draw an equivalency something something

It takes a certain mindset to fight a woman professionally. I don't think many men would be in support of such a joining.

Honestly it would make me feel uncomfortable to see a dude knock a chick out in UFC, especially if it kept happening. Like what if men are just better fighters and the women never win? Should we keep letting them try?

Yeah, it'd be kind of fucked up. Most of us are conditioned to consider violence against women a bad thing. Watching a woman get the shit kicked out of her for sport does not appeal to me.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    in almost any combat sport weight classes protect smaller fighters

Organichu on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Son of a fuck my parents put my birth certificate in that package so I'd have it in California.

What the fuck.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't mind watching a guy beat the shit out of a chick because I'm a feminist, yo.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No I got my badges a while ago. I think you're thinking of some other home slice.

I swear to blog if you mistook me for casual eddy I will fight you at dinner

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well I mean Cyborg keeps fucking up every single woman she fights over and over again

She must be lonely

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Fighting is the only sport I can't see sexes mixing on. But I am biased in the sense that as a man to legally protect yourself you should never touch a woman who is not your spouse/romantic interest at all, and you should never ever be alone in a room with children even if they are related to you if they aren't YOURS.

Just too risky.

This reminds me

I sort of "discovered" reddit recently, meaning I knew it was there but only recently started exploring various aspects of it. Sometimes because parts are genuinely entertaining, sometimes out of morbid curiosity.

The /mensrights section is really depressing, because of both the stories posted there and the responses to them.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I don't mind watching a guy beat the shit out of a chick because I'm a feminist, yo.

Or sick in the head. Or both!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    No I got my badges a while ago. I think you're thinking of some other home slice.

I swear to blog if you mistook me for casual eddy I will fight you at dinner

no, i know casual eddy still has to find a badge somewhere

but i thought you were in that situation, too

oh well!

Organichu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    What chu you talking bout

i thought badges sold out before you got yours, for pax

did you find one

casual eddy

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    in almost any combat sport weight classes protect smaller fighters

yeah, i don't know what these guys are talking about.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nocturne wrote: »
    The /mensrights section is really depressing, because of both the stories posted there and the responses to them.

Oh, god.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Son of a fuck my parents put my birth certificate in that package so I'd have it in California.

What the fuck.

it's really easy to get a copy of it.

I think.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm willing to bet that if she's a champion high school wrestler she's not all that worried about some dude grabbing her tits in a match. I don't see sexual assault charges being a huge possibility in her case.

The girl is probably okay with it.

But the guy isn't, and his uncomfortableness should be valued just as much as a lady's

I have to disagree.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last I checked Chu is right in almost all combat sports. You have from light weight to ultra heavy weight style classes. Except I think Sumo is just one pool but you fight people at your level.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ludious wrote: »

Just too risky.

This reminds me

I sort of "discovered" reddit recently, meaning I knew it was there but only recently started exploring various aspects of it. Sometimes because parts are genuinely entertaining, sometimes out of morbid curiosity.

Reddit's kind of a weird community, it's surprisingly insular for such a large site. But there does tend to be a circlejerk tendency to certain parts of it, so grain of salt and all that.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »

What the fuck.

I think.

Yeah but I don't love the fact that some asshole who lacks the scruples to not fucking cut someone else's parcel open and gut it before re-weighing it and send it back out AT THEIR OWN JOB now has my birth certificate.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm willing to bet that if she's a champion high school wrestler she's not all that worried about some dude grabbing her tits in a match. I don't see sexual assault charges being a huge possibility in her case.

But the guy isn't, and his uncomfortableness should be valued just as much as a lady's

I have to disagree.

Which part do you disagree on?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Last I checked Chu is right in almost all combat sports. You have from light weight to ultra heavy weight style classes. Except I think Sumo is just one pool but you fight people at your level.

Well as much as hollywood and martial arts movies try to say the opposite. Most of the time in a major weight disparity the smaller guy is going to catch the god damn brunt of a beating. I mean think of it in the wild, elephant vs just about any other animal one on one means a win for the elephant.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Oh, god.

Yeah, it's a strange juxtaposition.

*Article about sexism towards men*

Man that is fucked up.

*Comments full of ignorance and (I hate using this term but it applies here) male privilege*

Welp.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »

What the fuck.

I think.

Yeah but I don't love the fact that some asshole who lacks the scruples to not fucking cut someone else's parcel open and gut it before re-weighing it and send it back out AT THEIR OWN JOB now has my birth certificate.

You're going to make some Vietnamese refugee really happy.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well as much as hollywood and martial arts movies try to say the opposite. Most of the time in a major weight disparity the smaller guy is going to catch the god damn brunt of a beating. I mean think of it in the wild, elephant vs just about any other animal one on one means a win for the elephant.

Oh I full agree with this. Unless the guy is some sort of prodigy like Bruce Lee or is trained fighting someone untrained, if both have equal skill the bigger guy wins.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I have to disagree.

Do go on

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Oh, god.

Man that is fucked up.

*Comments full of ignorance and (I hate using this term but it applies here) male privilege*

Welp.

That reminds me of an article I read on fark, where a bunch of white knights jumped on a guy for daring to have a different opinion then they did.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Oh, god.

Man that is fucked up.

Welp.

Yep, that pretty much sums up the men's rights movement.

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2011

there's some account i read by a member of shayetet thirteen (of flotilla fame), the israeli naval commando force

early in his krav training he was in a lesson about facing multiple unarmed opponents

and they're training for hours and sweaty and beat down

and he asks the instructor,

"what do i do if they're big"

and the instructor laughs in his face and walks away

Organichu on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Except a wolverine.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Except a wolverine.

Or a virus.

Which is how I win fights. I just yell, "I HAVE AIDS!"

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2011

Oh I full agree with this. Unless the guy is some sort of prodigy like Bruce Lee or is trained fighting someone untrained, if both have equal skill the bigger guy wins.

Yeah, its just a matter of being able to absorb punishment that the other person can not. And then in turn dishing out a beating, most of the time it would be a one sided fight, and if you've ever seen one of those, its not fucking pretty.

Factor into this the image of a woman being on the losing end and that just puts it into an uncomfortable place.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Except a wolverine.

Or a virus.

Which is how I win fights. I just yell, "I HAVE AIDS!"

Nah Dawg, I'm straight, I can't get aids.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think any time you get into a professional sport you are looking not at human populations at large but a carefully selected top fraction of a percentage (in terms of whatever physical attributes are relevant to that sport). Which is exactly where the quite small (compared to most animals) differences between men and women become very noticable.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    surest way to win a fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZMjpDD9go

Organichu on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

there's some account i read by a member of shayetet thirteen (of flotilla fame), the israeli naval commando force

early in his krav training he was in a lesson about facing multiple unarmed opponents

and they're training for hours and sweaty and beat down

and he asks the instructor,

"what do i do if they're big"

and the instructor laughs in his face and walks away

I loved one of my instructors for this

he basically sat us down and said "if they're bigger and/or there's more of them then there are of you, you're going to lose."

smart man. made sure everyone knew to stay out of those situations but, if you're gonna be in one, the best way to take less of an ass whuppin'

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I have to disagree.

Go on.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My brother told me I should call the police. I feel like this is a moot point. Thoughts?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    you scream "I'm a hemophiliac!" and then kick him in the nuts

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Oh, god.

Man that is fucked up.

Welp.

Yep, that pretty much sums up the men's rights movement.

Which seems rather strange, I mean.....except for very specific areas such as paternal rights, divorce proceedings, and being alone around young children, they have like....all the rights?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My brother told me I should call the police. I feel like this is a moot point. Thoughts?

Might need a police report to collect on the insurance.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.