As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discworld! (Terry Pratchett has passed away; world cries a collective "Buggrit.")

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if it's possible today to recreate a Monster Squad like movie with Johnny and the Bomb.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like Cohen a lot in Interesting Times.

Just reread parts of Carpe Jugulum. Normally I think there is a pretty strong correlation between date of publication and a Pratchett book, and I think Carpe Jugulum marks a transition to some really excellent works. So many great lines. "And that's what you call justice?" "No, that's what I call mercy."

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Carpe Jugulum is amazing. The climax feels a little too easy for everything that comes before it to me, but goddamn if everything that comes before it isn't great.

Especially Granny and Oats.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Yeah, Carpe Jugulum is amazing. The climax feels a little too easy for everything that comes before it to me, but goddamn if everything that comes before it isn't great.

Especially Granny and Oats.

I love the climax, though the middle of the book is best
    The line "I ain't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed." is probably the best line in a Pratchett book ever. Plus you get the phoenix, Oats's moment with the axe, and the old count's dialogue, which I think is quite good.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    have you read the Last Continent? That has a much more substantial senior wizards subplot.

It's en route.

I'm borrowing from the library and working my way through the various arcs in parallel. I've read almost all fo the Watch books (I think I just have Fifth Elephant left), I'm waiting for Witches Abroad right now, and Last Continent on the Rincewind side. And when nothing else is available, I try to go for one of the more stand-alone books.

I haven't been able to start the Death arc yet, because the copy of Mort the library has has been on hold for just about ever, so I'll probably just cave and buy that one.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    have you read the Last Continent? That has a much more substantial senior wizards subplot.

It's en route.

I'm borrowing from the library and working my way through the various arcs in parallel. I've read almost all fo the Watch books (I think I just have Fifth Elephant left), I'm waiting for Witches Abroad right now, and Last Continent on the Rincewind side. And when nothing else is available, I try to go for one of the more stand-alone books.

I haven't been able to start the Death arc yet, because the copy of Mort the library has has been on hold for just about ever, so I'll probably just cave and buy that one.

If you don't mind reading them online, there's a nice (if legally grey) site that has them. Most of the books are in English; The site is entirely Cyrillic, but still easily navigable.

Tamin on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I think a hint that obvious is going to get you infracted.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2011
    do you think we are morons sir

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    do you think we are morons sir

Quite the opposite, actually.

The site doesn't seem to be breaking the forum rules, but I did want to mention its existence. Preferably without getting an infraction. To be clear, though: if I hadn't bolded the letters, would it have been an issue?

edited the post to remove all reference. That... that is kosher, right?

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    it's against the rules to explicitly talk about any specific place to get pirated media

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I finally got around to I Shall Wear Midnight and I noticed something.
    Is this the first book to not have Death?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    it's against the rules to explicitly talk about any specific place to get pirated media

I see.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    He wasn't in, I want to say Monstrous Regiment but I know thats not right. One of the more recent ones though, maybe a Moist book?

Z0re on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reading the Annotated Pratchett Files has given me a lot of information about different types of rock.

Julius on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z0re wrote: »
    He wasn't in, I want to say Monstrous Regiment but I know thats not right. One of the more recent ones though, maybe a Moist book?
    He wasn't in Wee Free Men.

I think he does appear in I Shall Wear Midnight. Meets the old baron, I think.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just bought wee Free Men. Tiffany Aching is the only discworld series I haven't read any books from yet.

It has chapters.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's a "kid's book."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    He wasn't in Wee Free Men.

I think he does appear in I Shall Wear Midnight. Meets the old baron, I think.

Looks like your right, it's just The Wee Free Men.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    he's definitely in both moist books and monstrous regiment

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Starcross wrote: »
    I just bought wee Free Men. Tiffany Aching is the only discworld series I haven't read any books from yet.

It has chapters.
    So do the Moist books for some reason.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's stylistic

Jintor on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, check out the chapters between 7 and 9.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's in both Making Money and Going Postal.
    Topsy Lavish and Anghammarad, respectively.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just been looking at the Guards! Guards! boardgame.

Here's a pic:

guardsguards.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'll be watching for reviews etc.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I kinda want to play Thud.

Jintor on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It has chapters.

From what I understand it was a response to some inane critic's comment that he couldn't do it.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It has chapters.

From what I understand it was a response to some inane critic's comment that he couldn't do it.

If that's true, that's awesome. The "summaries" at the start of each chapter are hilarious.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So now that I live close to a decentish library I started trying to fill in the large gaps in my Discworld reading.
    I grabbed the 3 books they had that I hadn't read and read them over the last couple weeks. In an odd and arbitrary order. I read Truth then Men at Arms at home, while working working through Jingo at work over lunch. It was strange seeing back references to books I hadn't read while picking up on forward references to books I had.

Also in honor Vimes I changed my Halo service tag to VYMS and my Live motto to veni, veneri, vamoosi.

But now I need to go the main branch to get any new ones since the one closest to me only has about 7 Discworld books total and I've now read them all.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    I kinda want to play Thud.

It's a pretty fun game. It takes a while to get good, though, and it's not like chess where you can learn from your older family members, as it's been around less than a decade.

I had a few good early game strategies with the Dwarf side but my end game is lacking. My strategy with the Troll side is to hope that I play the dwarfs first and then hope that my opponent copies what I do.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also in honor Vimes I changed my Halo service tag to VYMS and my Live motto to veni, veneri, vamoosi.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PUNC might be even better.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That is a good one, but the "translation" of the other makes me giggle.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "I came, I saw, I ran like hell"?

EDIT
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It has chapters.

If that's true, that's awesome. The "summaries" at the start of each chapter are hilarious.

All I have to verify that is an un-cited mention on the TVTropes page, sadly.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Veneri, not Vidi.

I came, I caught an embarrassing disease, I got out of there.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC might be even better.

There we go.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    veni, vermini, vomui (I came, I got ratted(drunk) I threw up) is also good.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

EDIT
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It has chapters.

All I have to verify that is an un-cited mention on the TVTropes page, sadly.

My copy of Men at Arms has Tom Paulin's quote (possibly from a TV review show?): "A complete amateur ... doesn't even write in chapters ... hasn't a clue." The fact that he didn't bother adding chapters until Moist suggests it was purely for stylistic reasons.

Apparently his editor makes him put chapters in his young readers books, though. I guess it would help if you were reading it to your child.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I believe he's gone on record as saying he didn't do chapters because it creates an unneeded break in the story, but that it is needed in a children's book so that kids have an easy place to stop reading. Something like that. I can't find the exact quote.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I picked up Making Money from the library over the weekened. I'm on chapter 3 - seems good so far.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    Moist is awesome. I look forward to Making Money.

And I'm now about halfway through Mort, which is my first Death book, and I really enjoy it. Death is an awesome character, and it's nice to finally have a book dedicated (largely) to him.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You will love Reaper Man.

At least I did. Probably my favorite Death book.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.