As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I got an e-mail today that confirms my very first 3DS title to review. What a special occasion!

Shall I just tell you, or let you guess?

No, you should make an unboxing video of your email! Everybody's doing it, and you're guaranteed to not make the worst one out there.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oooohhhh yeah, look at that sexy little game cart.

But here is what everyone wants to see, the full instruction manual shown page by page. Yeah!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh here comes the health and safety warning booklet!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Found a 3DS demo unit at my local Best Buy. Played a good 5-10 minutes.

Pilotwings is interesting, and I could see myself picking it up when it's cheap just as a good showoff game, but it didn't feel like my sorta game for actual gameplay.

The 3D effect was pretty cool. Not sure if I'd leave it on all the time, especially for games with a lot of back-and-forth, but it's definitely slick.

Gonna finish paying mine off in about two days, when my next paycheck comes in.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    So I got an e-mail today that confirms my very first 3DS title to review. What a special occasion!

Shall I just tell you, or let you guess?

I'm going to guess Steel Diver, completely at random!

Bastard. :wink:

(hope it's good)

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aww yeah, thats right! 8-)

I guess that I shouldn't really say I made that guess completely at random though. With this I figured it would be one of the Nintendo titles (so Pilotwings, Nintendogs + Cats, or Steel Diver), and then Steel Diver being the bigger mystery of the three that just made the most sense. That would be the game that I would send, people just kind of know what to expect from the other two.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh hot damn theres demo stations out now? Ive been waiting for those for awhile now. Guess I gotta go check the reatil stores around here. :D

Bedlam on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, guess what I did yesterday?

Sorry, no unboxing video... partly because it didn't come in a box, and partly because my wife didn't have the patience for it (I did consider your idea, Uncle Sporky, but I don't know the first thing about video editing, and I was afraid getting the right programs and learning would take too long. Maybe next time).

Yeah, seems my stuff is different from the typical U.S. deliveries. But really, I'm alright with that.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Ruins wrote: »
    I didn't see it posted yet, so sorry if I skimmed over it, but Capcom posted this a couple hours ago. No big deal, just some box art. But hey, it looks cool.

69e399ff2e077bde14c584682bf07310.jpg?v=227250

Wow that looks good!

Not for Chris Redfield of course but damn, that is some nice boxart.

Reminds me of Doom II's box art. Which is awesome!

slash000 on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6OY2l9faGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk3rSX-vOVw

There's no launch games I really want but that right there sold me on the damn thing...

Fuck, and I just decided this morning I'd wait it out.

Watched these last night... haha, "Alternate Reality"... they should totally have an Augmented Reality game that just puts sinister mustaches on everyone.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [VIDURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfb087CQMZM&t=0m34s"]The DSi already did that,[/VIDURL] I don't know if the 3DS does too. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So since DS games, and I'm assuming downloaded DSi games, will not fill the 3DS screen, will games on the 3DS shop be made to fill the screen? I'm assuming it will only sell games compatible with the 3DS.

Will there still be games released on DSi shop, and will they be available to 3DS people? I'm a bit confused on this front.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So since DS games, and I'm assuming downloaded DSi games, will not fill the 3DS screen, will games on the 3DS shop be made to fill the screen? I'm assuming it will only sell games compatible with the 3DS.

Will there still be games released on DSi shop, and will they be available to 3DS people? I'm a bit confused on this front.

Will 3DS shop games fill the screen? I don't see why not. DS games can be stretched to fill the screen, or you can play them in their original resolution. How DSiWare games will handle the resolution is still up in the air, but I would guess it would be the same as the DS games - either stretched or original.

Will there still be games released on DSi Shop? For awhile, I'd imagine the answer to be yes, though that's certainly going to be phased out over time.

Will those DSiWare games be available on the 3DS? Again, I don't see why not.

Will 3DS Shop games be available on DSiWare? I'm guessing that's a no.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

DS games have two options for display. One thats stretched out to fill the screen (with black bars on the side for the top screen), which doesn't look bad, but doesn't look great either since the resolution doesn't scale. The other is 1:1 which will naturally not fit the screen, but will display in the same resolution it would on the DS

I'm assuming DSi games played on the 3DS will follow the same pattern. The eShop will sell Virtual Console games, 3D classics, DSiWare, and 3DSware.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

3DS-exclusive software will be able to do whatever it wants with regard to the resolution.

DSi software will be available on the 3DS, but we don't know any details. I assume that 3DS users will have access to everything DSi users do. Nintendo probably isn't going to stop any developers from releasing games on the DSi shop, but I would guess that development will mostly migrate to the 3DS once all games currently in development are released.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think almost if not all DSi software will be available on 3DS just as almost all DS/DSi games work on it. They already said any you already have on your DSi can be migrated over when the shop launches, would be annoying if some were excluded from that.

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That sounds realistic, okay good. I want to download Shantae as soon as I can. Also I hope they put out a new flipnote asap.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Faux edit: This has already been answered, but just to clarify, I think the 3DS's e-shop will have four different silos of content:

- DSiWare: Both the existing catalog and new content, playable on both DSi and 3DS
    - Virtual Console: Back-catalog ROM dumps of Game Boy, Game Boy Color, TG-16 and other "older" systems, exclusive to 3DS
    - 3-D Classics: Older titles given 3-D enhanced effects and visuals, exclusive to 3DS
    - 3DSWare: Newer downloadable titles, exclusive to 3DS

Which will likely be a little confusing to navigate after the other categories start filling up with games or whatever; I'm assuming 3DSWare will continue with what DSiWare has done and have non-game "app" content like clocks and calendars.
    Steel Diver

Please let us know how much actual game is there, too. :P I get the basic concept and clunky-sim-lite controls, but I'm curious how much there actually is to do with the game.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That sounds realistic, okay good. I want to download Shantae as soon as I can. Also I hope they put out a new flipnote asap.

Have you ever played with Flipnote? It'd be awesome to see what you could do with it.

Here's the main one I did ages ago. I also made some extremely inappropriate ones on my friend's DSiXL.

At GDC Reggie mentioned how we can be a "3D movie director and producer" so I'm hoping we get a Flipnote-style interface for video editing, maybe even a merging of video and animation. Probably a pipe dream though...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Norfair, thanks for making me not feel like the only one here getting Lego Star Wars with my 3ds. I also got a pittance minibonus from work (Hurray pittance!) so I can grab another title or two at launch. I think I'm going to get Steel Diver, just to support Nintendo doing a new IP. For the other (now 3rd) game, I have no idea. I have never enjoyed Street Fighter... so that's pretty much out, unless I get my hands on a demo that changes my mind. Ghost Recon Shadow Wars could be interesting. Samurai Warriors could also work... Then again, I may just wait for things to go on sale.

Ha, I thought I was going to be the only one buying Lego Star Wars. Internet hi-5!

I still haven't decided on a second game, and I've got a few regular DS games in my backlog, so I may just hold off and wait for a month or two to pick up another game. I'm terrible at strategy games, so no Ghost Recon for me (I'm sure it would just piss me off to fail over and over again, just like every other RTS and SRPG I've ever played). I don't think Steel Diver would work for me, either (it looks to be fairly slow-paced, which isn't a bad thing, but I tend to like my action games to be faster paced). The Rabbid game looks kind of cute and fun, but I'd like to see some reviews of that one first; same with Rayman.

Norfair on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got to stop at my local Best Buy and lo and behold, they did have a demo unit 3ds.

Now that was the good part. the bad part was that they mounted it at about waist level, so im standing with my legs spread apart to lower my height to try and hit the sweep spot...finally got it and demo'ed pilotwings.

The 3d effect when i was able to get into the sweep spot was impressive. its not so much that it jumps off the screen like 3d tv's do, but it makes what we have been calling '3d gaming' for the last two decades much more of a reality. You really feel like the screen has depth to it . I only played it about 10 minutes because while i was glad to put my hands on one before release, i didnt want to be annoyed by the odd positions i was having to stand at to use it correctly. I think with it in my hands would make all the difference in that respect so i can position it correctly.

Then i went home and saw the AR videos with the little mini games....I gotta say this is pretty incredible looking. The first thing i can see envision is a game thats basically a 3d angry birds. lots of games like that could be made and they would be awesome from that perspective.

I did have a ponderance however. Maybe someone who reads this and has a demo unit can test this.

If you made a color copy of the AR card and blew it up to about the size of an 8x11 sheet of paper would the games still work and make a bigger sized image? If this worked with something like a posterboard sized image the effects would be pretty awesome...like the games where your looking down into the tabletop, you could be using your ds to see a big hole in the floor.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wild guess here, but I think the DSiWare store will keep updating until Nintendo fully discontinues the DS/DSi line. It'll mostly feature games that don't need 3D and aren't big enough to justify a 3DSWare release.

Also, Nintendo said the eShop, unlike the Wii and DSi stores, is not web browser-based. What does this mean? The eShop updates through SpotPass and there's no load times while navigating through it? Because that would be sweet.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Now that was the good part. the bad part was that they mounted it at about waist level, so im standing with my legs spread apart to lower my height to try and hit the sweep spot...finally got it and demo'ed pilotwings.

The system is on a tether. You can pick it up off of the base and bring it up to your level.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tried that, it wouldnt come out of the hole so they musta bolted it down.

azith28 on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arc System Works on BlazBlue: CS 3DS.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-16-the-arc-of-fighting-interview
    Eurogamer: BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 is coming out on the Nintendo 3DS in Europe. How have you recreated the visuals of the arcade version in the handheld?

Toshimichi Mori: For 3DS graphics, the first thing we thought about was to make it easier on the eye. So, there's not too much detail. When characters are moving you can just focus on the fighting by looking at the character, and you're not disturbed by the background movements.

Eurogamer: Why did you decide to make this game for the 3DS?

Toshimichi Mori: The main thing was to make BlazBlue available for more of an audience. Some people find the PS3 and Xbox 360 too expensive. But those people might have a handheld console. The 3DS is quite expensive, but buying a TV and a PS3 or Xbox 360 isn't something a lot of kids can easily get into, whereas most of them own or will eventually own a 3DS. It lowers the barrier to entry.

Eurogamer: Have you made the gameplay more accessible for the 3DS version?

Toshimichi Mori: On Continuum Shift we introduced a beginner mode, and a similar system called Stylish Mode is implemented on the 3DS version. If you press a button then you get to launch special attacks. But it's not an easy special. You don't just tap one button and then the special moves comes out. It's a middle ground between that system and playing normally. You still have to press buttons multiple times in order to execute combos, but it's not as difficult.

Street Fighter IV 3DS has an easy special attack launch button on the bottom screen. BlazBlue doesn't have that because we wanted to make it a pure fighting game and not too easy.

Eurogamer: You think Street Fighter IV 3DS is too easy?

Toshimichi Mori: Yes we do.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not super familiar with Blazblue but it seems odd to be calling out whats likely to be the best selling launch title because of an optional control/difficulty setting.

Either way, BB isn't a launch title so it doesn't matter but I'd be willing to give it a shot depending on some reviews.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I did have a ponderance however. Maybe someone who reads this and has a demo unit can test this.

If you made a color copy of the AR card and blew it up to about the size of an 8x11 sheet of paper would the games still work and make a bigger sized image? If this worked with something like a posterboard sized image the effects would be pretty awesome...like the games where your looking down into the tabletop, you could be using your ds to see a big hole in the floor.

Yep, that works just fine, people have been doing it since it came out in Japan. It's been so popular that Nintendo will be offering them officially through the Japanese version of Club Nintendo.

You can see one example towards the end of this video (might as well watch the whole thing, it's neat):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czIUwT3GQ8E

Big picture example:
    9wfzM.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not super familiar with Blazblue but it seems odd to be calling out whats likely to be the best selling launch title because of an optional control/difficulty setting.

Either way, BB isn't a launch title so it doesn't matter but I'd be willing to give it a shot depending on some reviews.

They're calling it out because fighting-game makers are fighting game-makers.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    true

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I hope BB doesn't look odd because the characters are hand drawn, that's tough to convert into 3D well. They'll probably look like strips of paper fighting in front of a 3D background.

I want a 3D fighter to let us use an AR card to make an optional background. Should be easy for a polygonal game, just control the camera based on the system's position.

Also earthwormadam did you see my question? Actually I went to your site and saw that you made some animated gifs recently, that's kind of in the same league as Flipnote.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't imagine buying a $250 portable for a kid.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope BB doesn't look odd because the characters are hand drawn, that's tough to convert into 3D well. They'll probably look like strips of paper fighting in front of a 3D background.

I want a 3D fighter to let us use an AR card to make an optional background. Should be easy for a polygonal game, just control the camera based on the system's position.

Also earthwormadam did you see my question? Actually I went to your site and saw that you made some animated gifs recently, that's kind of in the same league as Flipnote.

There's a NGP game on the demo reel that does that, I believe.
    I can't imagine buying a $250 portable for a kid.

There's crazy folks out there that buy an iPod Touch for their youngun's so I believe anything these days.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OOps no I didn't see that Spork.

I upgraded to a lite when those came out, but I haven't been able to afford getting another DS till now. I am excite. So, no I haven't gotten a chance to play with Flipnote yet, but I've seen what can be done, and it looks like fun. Love that moonwalkin' cat!

How rad would a 3D flipnote studio be where you could do 2D animation on separate parallaxes and view it in 3D? How cool!?

EDIT: If I had a kid and thats a big friggin IF, then I would make them play through the handheld consoles starting from the Gameboy, just so they would have an appreciation for the classics. Also, by making them buy their own batteries with their allowance, I could teach them the value of the dollar.

Everyone wins!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yep, this trick was done around Japan's launch. There are even plans for Nintendo to release some oversized cards!

I saw the stories originally through Kotaku I think, but the preceding links were the first to pop up in Google.

EDIT: The stories are about bigger Miis, but I assume the same can be done with the AR cards.

EDIT THE EDIT: Beat'd so bad. Evidently I didn't see there was another page of posts.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, that augmented reality stuff is going to sell so many 3DS's when people show it to their friends.

I was going to put off buying this for a bit because money is a bit tight, but now I'm not so sure. I want to shoot at things inside my furniture.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nickle wrote: »
    Man, that augmented reality stuff is going to sell so many 3DS's when people show it to their friends.

I was going to put off buying this for a bit because money is a bit tight, but now I'm not so sure. I want to shoot at things inside my furniture.

Or heck, have your brother/wife/friend lay on the ground and watch them develop a big hole in their stomach.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I made this back when we first got a good look at the AR games, so you can print one without needing to scan or copy it (or so you can make boobs pop out of your computer screen, whatever):

arcard.png

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Here's some footage of Steel Diver's multiplayer mode from Steven Totilo of Kotaku:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB7BgRqVGL8&feature=player_embedded

It looks more like a variation of Battleship than Advance Wars (as he calls it), but it seems like a decent little single card multiplayer mode.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah the augmented reality stuff looks really cool. I thought for sure it was going to be stupid until I actually saw it. The concept of adjusting your viewing angle by moving around is pretty neat.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    sorry, wrong thread post heh

azith28 on